Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

Oh god this is loving horrifying. It’s apparently not a bug with input delay it’s a change from the previous game to roll on release instead of roll on press

Really hope that through some miracle this gets patched or I’ll have to beg for a refund

This is how it was in all Dark Souls games prior; since run and roll are on the same button, the game has to wait to know which one you're doing before it goes through. Meanwhile, every other action game of the last ten years learned to just give you a dodge that transitions into a sprint. Even Sekiro did it!

I actually broke out the steam controller of all things so I can have a positive input dodge and bind sprint to a grip. It still feels slow as all hell though. I think this game might be the slowest of From's modern catalogue in terms of player speed to enemy speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
quick question about questlines (vague answers if possible please):
Merchant questline

i met the wolfman in the forest- he wants me to find a guy 'nearby'. does 'nearby' mean in the forest? near the forest?

Kenneth Questline:

I cleared out his castle and keep going back to check it out but he's not there. should i look for him in the area or will he just show up somewhere else random further down the line?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Runes will come and runes will go. This is certain.

Sometimes I hear a faint, delicate ringing sound. What is that? I just heard it before dropping down into the dark under Stormveil Castle.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm gonna burst people's bubbles because the wizard school in Liurnia was locked and needed a key to open, it was more that I had the entire area to explore early is how I found smithstones.

A horde of tarnished goons pounding on Hogwarts door demanding stones

Regardless, exploring will do me some good, hopefully I can find another mine or something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

huh posted:

Sometimes I hear a faint, delicate ringing sound. What is that? I just heard it before dropping down into the dark under Stormveil Castle.

the chime indicates that an ashen dung beetle is nearby

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

huh posted:

Visions of scarab...

(If you've seen the glowing dung beetles around, that's their tell. Red ones replenish some Estus charges, white ones usually have Weapon Ashes, and other colors might denote spells or materials or other stuff. Basically, they're this game's crystal lizard!)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

someone did mention you can start buying unlimited stones from a merchant ala dark souls 2/3 but as to what triggers their availability and what merchant they're bought from, i cannot say

Willfrey posted:

From the Lake-Facing cliffs bonfire north of Stormveil castle, head directly north into the water and hug the cliffs to the right. At this time it'd be a good idea to nab both lake maps, they are fairly easy to get and not very dangerous. They appear as little knobs on the unexplored segments of the map if you didn't already know.

Hug the cliffs on the right, progress through the forest with the flower-type enemies. keep going. You'll eventually come across a part of the wall that juts out and is populated by squids. keep pushing through. You should see/hear the four-legged bell cadereal thing. Keep an eye on the right, the coast will expand out from the wall a little bit just past the squid area and the entrance to the caves against the wall on this shore.

Inside are lots of magic diggers and magic mages. the mages can be a pain, but you can sorta creep your way through once you know the way. I figured it out the way only dying twice in the process. The mages can be dangerous but go down easy to backstabbing. Near the end there are three of those four-armed caged foes, you can lure the sword guy back the way you came to deal with him, and then easily enough dispatch the archers if you brought a greatshield like me :)

After that i think the only other enemy of note is one of the bigger magic-spear dudes, but again he was easy enough to backstab. The boss itself (the Crystilian) is also vulnerable to backstabs, and it is easy to avoid the attacks. back up when it does the spin-to-win move. If you attack it and do a tiny amount of damage do not get discouraged, this boss has some kind of shield mechanic (not sure, killed it first try) and after i performed two backstabs and one of those criticals the shield broke and i was chunking off an 1/8 of the health bar per swing with a +7 lordsworn greatsword.

Killing the boss gives you the Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearing, which you give to Twin Madien Husks at the round table area to unlock the stones for purchase.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 27, 2022

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

the chime indicates that an ashen dung beetle is nearby

Thanks Oxxidation and Appoda!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

dodgeblan posted:

quick question about questlines (vague answers if possible please):
Kenneth Questline:

I cleared out his castle and keep going back to check it out but he's not there. should i look for him in the area or will he just show up somewhere else random further down the line?

You need to go back to where you originally met him and tell him the castle is clear

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Artelier posted:

Any tips for Stormveil Castle's BOMB TOSSING BLADED FEET BIRDS? These guys make my camera go nuts, spend a disproportionate amount of time in the air, and aggro me forever so I can't even run past and ignore them

Most of the time they charge at you with both feet, and if you dodge back just a little bit the camera won't freak out and they get their swords stuck in the ground briefly. Gives you a short window to attack. They have zero poise so basically any attack from anything will knock them about, so keep attacking.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finally finished meandering around the first area, and wandered into Margit, who promptly kicked my rear end so hard it should have punted me back out through the beginning of the game. drat I am so bad at bosses.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Excellent, thank you

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Rya questline

I didn't kill the thief. I brought back her pendant and she gave me an invitation to hell gently caress castle. I'm assuming sparing the thief is going to come back to bite me later, right? Bought some shrimp off the dude which was pretty cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Artelier posted:

Any tips for Stormveil Castle's BOMB TOSSING BLADED FEET BIRDS? These guys make my camera go nuts, spend a disproportionate amount of time in the air, and aggro me forever so I can't even run past and ignore them

Definitely suggesting investing in a bow if you haven't already. Crafting arrows is super easy, just kill animals.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

It seems very hit or miss. Game runs very, very well for me on a 3070 with the game installed to a SSD, outside of occasional minor framerate hitching. I have actually ran into an issue (died in the game) because of a framerate stutter twice in 22.7 hours (tbf that includes lots of time afk with the game running). And the stuttering mostly went away when I switched from 4k to 1080p. May as well try it out and just refund it within 2 hours if it has performance issues.

Other people say it's literally unplayable for them, but a lot of people also say it's totally playable on their outdated hardware :shrug:

I have an average graphics card (userbenchmark.com puts it at 50.1%) and a fast SSD, and not only did I get stuttering, but once a few monsters spawned I got kicked back to the title screen

And then the title screen itself was too low FPS, so whenever I hit A to bring up the list of options (including quit to desktop), it'd decide the framerate was too low and kick me back to the title screen FROM the title screen.

I ended up having to force quit, and then close steam because the anti-cheat didn't get the message.

EDIT: steam approved the refund after just over an hour so that's good.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 27, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
can't wait to find out who the gently caress i'm supposed to jam all these (key item) --eyes-- in to

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And I'll fuckin kick your rear end a third time if you show your face again.

Seriously, thats the easiest refight in the series

Orv
May 4, 2011
God this game loving goes places. And keeps going places over and over. There's like three Dark Souls 2/3 worths of game in here. Please if you feel like the opening grasslands of Limgrave aren't doing it for you, stick it out. poo poo gets the weirdest.

From still can't make lava that looks good or isn't way too bright though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Second boss down. Never underestimate the people you can shanghai recruit to fight a boss for you get lots of souls!

Is Rowdy Raddy the third boss or should I be looking elsewhere, level-wise?

Cowcaster posted:

i'm still confused, when you just say "comet" are you talking about this spell from the wiki

Nope, I mean literally:

This wiki is missing/wrong on quite a few things.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

you're combining two different things. the guard attack does a massive chunk of poise damage which will usually interrupt animations (unless they're REALLY armored up), but it's not guaranteed to stagger/poise break them completely, which is when you hear the "whummp" noise, at which point you can riposte them with light attack

which leads to an extremely hot guard attack protip: if you interrupt them but don't poise break them, use that time put your shield down and recover your stamina, because as long as you do so you can stay pretty neutral on stamina consumption and immediately guard attack them again on their next attack. the more guard attacks you get in, the sooner you get that delicious, delicious riposte!

Ahhh, that makes sense--thanks for the clarification/correction!

Devor posted:

There's no need to worry about enemies being gormless, there's an item you can use later that fills your Gorm Gauge that's hinted at by an NPC in a cave

I appreciate this post.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What the gently caress is this wizard stuck to a wall?! Keeps crying and doesn’t do anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Before I take the plunge and commit to upgrading a weapon for a while, are there any really obviously rad-tastic quality or STR weapons in the first area? I've already found the large club, zweihander, and greataxe, and if I don't find something pancake-ier in the next bit that's probably where I'll end up.

Head to the southern tip of the map. Not sure if that weapon is actually good since I'm not a STR build, but it sure looks impressive.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Man this poo poo REALLY opens up after the castle, huh. What’s the safest way to go next?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

What the gently caress is this wizard stuck to a wall?! Keeps crying and doesn’t do anything.

You've found the like, third step of her questline ahead of time. Waypoint Ruins across the dragon swamp from the place you start the game, then Sellia later on, then back to Witchbane ruins. Not sure past that.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Somebody's gotta be playing on console and can answer this.

NotNut posted:

Do console players also have the thing where the framerate drops as you cross seams between loading zones or whatever? Or is that only on PC?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

It's where wizards belong. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IronicDongz posted:

tbf souls game input buffers are really huge for no goddamn reasons and it leads to incorrect inputs

but it is also true that if you clean up your inputs instead of mashing the problem basically goes away

The problem isn't quite cleaning up the inputs, not mashing is definitely a must, however my biggest issue is that the inputs are queued no matter what the situation. For instance, boss has a string of 3 hits, but the hits are all staggered between each other. Makes sense, you have to time your dodges and not just mash dodge 3 times in a row since that's too easy. However, say if you try and dodge the first attack and you're a fraction too late you're going to get hit, however now you have that dodge roll queued up for whatever direction you had input and you can't do anything about it. Now, the problem is since you're in hitstun, that roll is coming out frame 1 no matter what and more often than not it's not going to be timed with the next hit of the combo and you're going to get hit. I already timed the first hit incorrectly, don't punish me twice for the same input and move my character.

My character should never move or do an action if I'm not actively inputting a command nor should anything be buffered while I'm in hitstun. The buffer should be emptied out once the player is hit and you should be able to turn it off completely. I hated the buffer in Bloodborne, I hated it in Sekiro and I hate it just as much in Elden Ring. I like the idea of it, because it's there to teach you to not mash but it introduces an even bigger problem that bothers me to no end.

That said I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game.

Also, I found a Whip but I can't equip it? Like, if I go and sell items it's there under my weapons I think but when I go to equip it, it's just not there. I'm confused, maybe it isn't a weapon?

Thanks for all of the tips on Leonine goons, I'm going back into the fray for my routine colonoscopy FromSoft bosses dish out and hopefully come out with his head on a platter.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So it turns out the little obelisk icons on the map show you where the map fragments are to reveal the full map :doh: Ran around and grabbed them all and it made finding things and getting around 10x easier

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

god, the enemy design is amazing, just fought the cemetery shade, that thing was crazy looking

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I found The Chest and decided to just keep hanging out where it sent me. I've covered a huge chunk of Sellia and now I'm working through Redmane castle. The game still never gave me the horse or a way to level up so I'm pretty sure I'm playing the wrong way but I kinda don't even care, open world dark souls is amazing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there any place I can buy a regular rear end Greatbow?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I feel like I have a different experience from most complaints about the input queue. In every single game in this series I've been able to avoid almost every followup boss attack by mashing back+dodge whenever I'm staggered from a hit. There are a few bosses or enemies here and there that punish this (Magrit for example) but the vast majority do not. It's one of the main reasons I feel like the games are actually pretty easy - there are very few enemies in any of the games in the series (maybe Bloodborne, I barely played it) that can get two consecutive hits off on you.

It's so easy to dodge everything that way that I have never bothered learning how to parry and I haven't used block since DS2 :kiddo:

It's annoying sometimes when I press attack or dodge during like, an enemy's long grab animation, and my input comes out 4 seconds later after I got my head bit off but that has killed me maybe once so far in 20+ hours of Elden Ring

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 27, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My friends who have not played souls games are all having a much easier time with a mage start than anything else. I did prisoner so I have a simple spell but mostly melee and it really does help, can’t imagine not having magic early on

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I really hate the cockroach enemies that start spamming homing needles if you're more than six inches away from them.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Latest boss that sucks to fight is the dragon in the mushroom area, it's the same as the dragon in the swamps except there seems to be no way to reliably avoid the instant death swoop attack it randomly uses. I chip away at it incredibly slowly but at some point its cheapass AI decides to use the attack when I'm too close to run directly away from it - trying to sideways or stay underneath it doesn't work either. How do?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Definitely seeing a lot of framerate & stutter issues on my old 1080ti, even with 11gb of ram to load stuff into. i7-8700k with 32gb of ram.

Going to load it onto my laptop with a 3060, i7-11800 and 32gb ram and see if it's any better, or maybe worse! Both machines have NVMe SSD's.

Any specific settings I should maybe change in the game to reduce framerate/stuttering issues?

Even though I am bad at the combat, I am enjoying the game (playing as a sorcerer type throwing my magic missiles at stuff and not getting into direct combat mostly), the performance issues are very real and pretty annoying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been just loving around grinding stuff (level 17 now, though not really sure what to do with stats - I've been putting a ton into endurance after getting 16 strength for my shield) and will try to actually fight other things now. I reached the point where I can pretty reliably just stroll into that first camp of soldiers on foot and kill everyone (without using any stealth attacks).

I'm a little unsure on how to use the heavy shield correct. Do you want to just run away once your endurance gets low-ish? Does the amount of endurance damage your shield takes depend on the enemy attack? Heavy enemy attacks seem to break through my shield guard, but is this always the case or can it stop being the case if you gain enough poise or whatever?

I think the next thing I'm going to do is go back to the imp dungeon and gently caress those guys up. My shield should be able to protect me against them, and they should go down in only a couple sword strikes now.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

NotNut posted:

Somebody's gotta be playing on console and can answer this.

I'm on standard PS4 and I get none of that whatsoever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Is there any place I can buy a regular rear end Greatbow?

The Greatbow-rear end Greatbow is up a siege tower in the Mt Grim area off the capitol. Haven’t found one for purchase though. It might not be a guaranteed drop but if you go through Sofria and take the elevator at the end there are two enemies on the other side that dropped a greatbow for me, slightly easier than the regular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Orv posted:

The Greatbow-rear end Greatbow is up a siege tower in the Mt Grim area off the capitol. Haven’t found one for purchase though. It might not be a guaranteed drop but if you go through Sofria there are two enemies on the other side that dropped a greatbow for me, slightly easier than the regular one.

Thanks. :)