Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

please do not get me fuckin' started on tulsi gabbard, i may be the only hindu on the forums and i have Opinions about both her and the fascist hindutva monsters she and the cult she's in support in India

gay picnic defence posted:

lol what?

What's her story anyway? How is she involved with Russia?

have a laugh at her stupid videos and move on

Sorry for the derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

KitConstantine posted:

This is crazy. Full daylight video, filming with a playground in the foreground. There's exchange of fire at the end but no one's hit on screen. I'll spoiler it if necessary, let me know

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497824591569252352?t=ne2WfTbH77i26CX-quoTBA&s=19

Holy gently caress dude get away from that window

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is Kharkiv the same as Nova Kakhovka or Kakhovka.
So many streams but cant find one for Kharkiv.
But I assume translation differences.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

gay picnic defence posted:

lol what?

What's her story anyway? How is she involved with Russia?

the russian poo poo is kinda odd and I don't really fully understand it other than that it keeps happening, but her story is much, much weirder than you would think

tldr she and her parents are members of a weird hindu-adjacent hawaiian cult that is cuddled deeply close to Noted Fascist Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India, and an absolute fuckload of her funding when she was (...and probably will be again) an elected politician comes from the absolute worst reactionaries in the Indian-American community

she frequently mouths leftist-ish words and it makes me really, really mad

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

please do not get me fuckin' started on tulsi gabbard, i may be the only hindu on the forums and i have Opinions about both her and the fascist hindutva monsters she and the cult she's in support in India

There are 1.2 billion Hindus in the world. I would be shocked if only one of them was a goon. [Insert dead comedy forum joke here]

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I guess what I'm saying is if you pull all the stops and he keeps invading, he would have kept invading no matter what you did - just now you know that a week in advance. Slowly turning the heat up ineffectively feels like you're doing something but is really just putting you at more of a disadvantage.

I don't think anything is going to stop Putin if it's just up to him he would continue this invasion no matter what. I guess the hope is if Monday comes and the Ruble is in free fall and regular Russian citizens are starting to feel the pain and panic sets in you still have some more pressure to apply and that could be what it takes to push Putin to alter his course if he's feeling like a legitimate uprising might occur. It's the idea that things are getting bad for Russia and it could become even worse if they keep this up.

Popete fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 27, 2022

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

OgNar posted:

Those are different cities.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OgNar posted:

No, Kharkiv is a city with 1.5 million population.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KillHour posted:

There are 1.2 billion Hindus in the world. I would be shocked if only one of them was a goon. [Insert dead comedy forum joke here]

a fair point, we probably have some posting in GWS or AI or something, but i have yet to knowingly interact with another of my comrades

maybe they just sensibly avoid the politics forums

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cr0y posted:

If the stakes weren't so high I would actually love to see unmarked Patriot batteries and drones and unmarked f-35s doing their thing and the United States just saying "well they are unmarked we have no idea who they could be :shrug:"

Little gray predator drones

Sell the F-35s to Russia. Ukraine would have air supremacy in a day.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Rad Russian posted:

It's a bit different now compared to Yeltsin as Putin systematically killed off all the old oligarchs that rose up independently during Yeltsin's rule. The current ones are all "made" by Putin. You might not be as upset about going from $5B to $3B wealth when the only reason you have any money at all is that Putin decided you will have it, and before that decision you had nothing. However, even their loyalty might not be unlimited.

Yeah, the days where Putin was just first among equals among the military, FSB, oligarchs, etc. are clearly well and truly over. The ones that remain owe their power and money to him, not the other way around. I can't find the video, but he humiliated and dressed down the head of either the GRU (thinkDIA) or SVR (think CIA) in a meeting just prior to the invasion, and released the video. That's not the kind of thing that you do if you think the security services are an at all independent power bloc (capable of switching loyalties) you need to keep on your side.

For better or (far more likely) worse, modern Russia is a consolidated authoritarian state in terms of elites and military.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I despise Putin and I'm uncertain what he will do if put against the wall, but I don't believe that he's stupid. As mentioned above, oligarchs need somebody in power to enable their business and Putin needs support of the rich and the powerful. If he really underestimated the bravery of people put in a face of hated adversary, then I'll be happy if that's how he goes down. But I somehow .. not sure, refuse to believe that? Like he must have enough experience to at the very least take into consideration that the resistance would be harder than few days. I'm trying to think what his endgame is (silently hoping that that he overestimated though).

With that being said though, even the German War Machine from pre-WW I shown that any plans and preparations go down as soon as the action starts. I'm really curious how the post-war world will look. Having three powers (US / Russia / China) pitted against each other's imperialistic desires is way better than having two (ideally none, but hey we're not there yet).

I can't really focus on work for the last few days and this thread moves too fast. I'm spending every moment just reading updates from the frontlines and hoping that Ukrainians are still bravely standing against the invader. I'm from Poland and live in US, but I've got both Russian and Ukrainian friends who lost homes in this war already. Our chats early last year have comments saying that

> Literally nothing will happen. I can bet money on it.

and it looks like we've been wrong.

Also, how is this still not an icon for Putin?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Popete posted:

I don't think anything is going to stop Putin if it's just up to him he would continue this invasion no matter what. I guess the hope is if Monday comes and the Ruble is in free fall and regular Russian citizens are starting to feel the pain and panic sets in you still have some more pressure to apply and that could be what it takes to push Putin to alter his course if he's feeling like a legitimate uprising might occur. It's the idea that things are getting bad for Russia and it could become even worse if they keep this up.

I guess it's unverifiable because we can't just divide the universe into control groups to find out, but my extremely jaded take is that the ramping of sanctions is because sanctions hurt both parties and people want to get away with as little of that as they can and not because it's optimal game theory.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

WTF is this poo poo

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Putin giving his first address in a couple of days. Still sticking with the fiction of Donbas, so I would guess it was prerecorded.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497826706878566400?t=YWSzJPl_DA56pJrehxImdg&s=19

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Ma'am while I appreciate your intentions here I fear that we may in fact be past the point where appeals to the Aloha spirit are an effective strategy.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

WTF is this poo poo

Well, first of all it's fabulous!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Putin giving his first address in a couple of days. Still sticking with the fiction of Donbas, so I would guess it was prerecorded.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497826706878566400?t=YWSzJPl_DA56pJrehxImdg&s=19

i am especially thankful for the airborne elite units that i fed directly into Ukrainian anti-air, artillery, and machine guns

they will have company very soon

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I guess it's unverifiable because we can't just divide the universe into control groups to find out, but my extremely jaded take is that the ramping of sanctions is because sanctions hurt both parties and people want to get away with as little of that as they can and not because it's optimal game theory.

Yeah I get that and most likely it's probably a mix of both. The west wants Russia to change it's course but they'd like to do so with as little pain to themselves as possible. I can't say what the right path is just that I guess I can see an argument for holding some leverage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kaaj posted:

Putin doesn't have that much hair

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

I'm just baffled why some Americans like Putin. Like what does he even represent?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wait I'm just getting caught up, they really pulled the trigger on SWIFT?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm just baffled why some Americans like Putin. Like what does he even represent?

Strong guy who is a nationalist and elected Trump.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

kaaj posted:

Because being gay is cool and there's no reason to associate Putin with that.

punk rebel ecks posted:

A counter to the dystopian hellscape we live in.

Sure, Russia's worse. But we can be generous with idiots who are desperate for change.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This seems...bad

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497828558227574789?t=8DzOe5VN5AXcHuFySgZGvw&s=19

Machine translation

Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine / CinC AF of Ukraine

1 minute. .

A few minutes ago, the Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down a cruise missile fired at the capital of Ukraine from the territory of the Republic of Belarus by plane

TY-22.

This is another war crime of Belarus and Russia.

X

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

cr0y posted:

Wait I'm just getting caught up, they really pulled the trigger on SWIFT?

and also on central bank freezing and such which is n u t s o

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
There's a pretty good documentary on Euromaidan on Netflix called Winter on Fire. Pretty interesting look at the series of events that truly led to what we're seeing today. Shows the courage and dedication of the Ukrainian people.

Maybe Putin truly does think the CIA was responsible for that, but I dare anyone to watch it and say so afterwards.

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah. No clue what is so controversial here. If you can’t admit that NATO expansion “set the stage” for this war then you have no idea what you are talking about.

NATO expansion has less to do with this war than Putin's desire to reunify a Russian empire. Putin is not threatened in any real way by NATO, saying he is is just credulously buying his own ridiculous justification for this.

And, in fact, this specific war has a lot more to do with the people of Ukraine evicting his puppet Yanukovich and making clear their desire to be a part of Europe, not Russia. If anything, this shows that NATO is truly important, especially when it comes to protecting smaller nations from shameless invasion by larger and more powerful authoritarian regimes such as Russia.

I understand the statement is just your basic antiwar, antiimperialist stuff but it comes off as painfully naive. Maybe that's what they feel like they have to say, but it's appeasement and if anyone actually followed that advice it would be disaster for Ukraine.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i am especially thankful for the airborne elite units that i fed directly into Ukrainian anti-air, artillery, and machine guns

Is paratrooper a sufficiently specialized role that they're special forces or elites? I guess I hope so, it's a little less bad if the 100+ people who died on those planes getting shot down were career military rather than 19-20 year olds. What a loving awful way die, sent in a slow awkward plane into a war zone.

Glad those planes got downed, don't get me down. Still, grim poo poo.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

WTF is this poo poo

It's just classic hur dur person I don't like is gay poo poo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fill Baptismal posted:

Yeah, the days where Putin was just first among equals among the military, FSB, oligarchs, etc. are clearly well and truly over. The ones that remain owe their power and money to him, not the other way around. I can't find the video, but he humiliated and dressed down the head of either the GRU (thinkDIA) or SVR (think CIA) in a meeting just prior to the invasion, and released the video. That's not the kind of thing that you do if you think the security services are an at all independent power bloc (capable of switching loyalties) you need to keep on your side.

For better or (far more likely) worse, modern Russia is a consolidated authoritarian state in terms of elites and military.

The weird interaction with Naryshkin, the SVR head, was part of a staged video. Putin got mad at him for literally flubbing his lines.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Holy poo poo

Sorry I'm slow and I've been playing video games all day because I hate everything. Please proceed.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Can we get a source. Last thing I saw was SWIFT was not pulled and instead there were very specific carve outs to ensure it wouldn’t be effective.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Mr. PUTIN you have to stop this! I NEED my paycheck this month!"

I'm curious whag other chuds and "leftists" like her and Greenwald start doing this. Pretty much can write them off as paid assets when they do

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

kaaj posted:

uh

lots of reasons

pls don't

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

while i'm rooting for ukraine, i'm definitely sad about the needless deaths of Russian enlistees, even the elite ones

there is a vanishingly small percentage of them who Definitely Are Horrible War Criminals, see: the Chechen special forces aka Kadyrov's personal atrocity squad

but even the paratroopers, in their mind, signed up for, at most, going "got your nose" in Georgia, not... this. They don't deserve to die for whatever revanchist nonsense is going on in Putin's head.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's just classic hur dur person I don't like is gay poo poo

I think it's more the idea that Putin is virulently homophobic so it would piss him off. But it's still extremely stupid and probably does more harm than good.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Can we get a source. Last thing I saw was SWIFT was not pulled and instead there were very specific carve outs to ensure it wouldn’t be effective.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1497696413492334599?t=Btpp1jmTWWBekGu-zUZ8aA&s=19

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol I remember back in 2019 Hillary said on some podcast that Tulsi was being groomed by the Russians for a third party run.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...w&utm_medium=AP

quote:

The new restrictions that the United States, European Union and United Kingdom announced for Russia’s Central Bank would limit the Kremlin’s ability to access the more than $600 billion in reserves there. If the West is able to implement the Central Bank restrictions as it aims to, it will cripple Russia’s ability to keep the ruble from crashing in value amid the tightening Western sanctions.

The likely result, U.S. officials told reporters Saturday: The Russian ruble goes into free fall, triggering spiraling inflation there.

Saturday’s move includes cutting key Russian banks out of the SWIFT financial messaging system, which daily shuffles countless billions of dollars among more than 11,000 banks and other financial institutions around the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

“Selected”

Aka this poo poo is worthless and Twitter folks signal boosting it as “swift ban” is disingenuous.