Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Fill Baptismal posted:

Is paratrooper a sufficiently specialized role that they're special forces or elites? I guess I hope so, it's a little less bad if the 100+ people who died on those planes getting shot down were career military rather than 19-20 year olds. What a loving awful way die, sent in a slow awkward plane into a war zone.

Glad those planes got downed, don't get me down. Still, grim poo poo.

Yeah, they wouldn't be young conscripts. It takes a lot of training just to skydive solo in a civilian context, these guys need to learn how to do it in a high threat environment, land and link up with their squad and so on. It's not necessarily special forces poo poo but they're definitely very well trained troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Can we get a source. Last thing I saw was SWIFT was not pulled and instead there were very specific carve outs to ensure it wouldn’t be effective.

Sure. From 8 hours ago apparently - if you haven't caught up this might explain our earlier conflicts:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/statement_22_1423

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm just baffled why some Americans like Putin. Like what does he even represent?

White supremacy, christain supremacy, cultural conservatism, anti-lgbtq, anti woke, pro militarism, crony capitalism, BIG STRONG DADDY, isolationism.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

“Selected”

Aka this poo poo is worthless and Twitter folks signal boosting it as “swift ban” is disingenuous.

The key part is they are targeting the Russian central bank and Putins ability to stabilize the Ruble. This is going to hurt Russia badly.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Also in response to your earlier point about asset seizure, they announce a task force to identify and freeze the assets of targeted elites.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Tomn posted:

Sure. From 8 hours ago apparently - if you haven't caught up this might explain our earlier conflicts:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/statement_22_1423

quote:

First, we commit to ensuring that selected Russian banks are removed from the SWIFT messaging system. This will ensure that these banks are disconnected from the international financial system and harm their ability to operate globally.

This is pathetic garbage only the most gullible would consider meaningful. Either go full SWIFT ban or the west is continue it to coddle the Russian oligarchs and their friends in the west. Worthless.

Tomn posted:

Also in response to your earlier point about asset seizure, they announce a task force to identify and freeze the assets of targeted elites.

“Targeted”. That better mean any Russian nationals with assets over 1 million euros. Said assets should be seized with ownership permanently belonging to the local governments citizens. That poo poo doesn’t get “handed back” even when this is over.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 27, 2022

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah, they wouldn't be young conscripts. It takes a lot of training just to skydive solo in a civilian context, these guys need to learn how to do it in a high threat environment, land and link up with their squad and so on. It's not necessarily special forces poo poo but they're definitely very well trained troops.

Paratroopers don't skydive. It's a static line combat jump at 300 meters. US Airborne School is a 3 week course. They are not special forces.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

“Selected”

Aka this poo poo is worthless and Twitter folks signal boosting it as “swift ban” is disingenuous.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is pathetic garbage only the most gullible would consider meaningful. Either go full SWIFT ban or the west is continue it to coddle the Russian oligarchs and their friends in the west. Worthless.

we get it, you're edgy. jeez. literally every single one of your posts has been garbage like this

little ironic that you're both agreeing with that DSA statement yet saying the west isn't going far enough, which is it? or is it just that this has to be the west's fault in your mind one way or another and you're working backwards from there

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's just classic hur dur person I don't like is gay poo poo

It's not and I don't want to move the discussion this way (there's more important things to talk about). This picture, among many others was (is?) officially banned by the Justice Ministry in Russia ( i.e. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/russia-bans-picture-of-vladimir-putin-in-drag ) and that's why it surfaces every so often.

Adding to subject though, with this article popping on Reddit - https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/02/26/7326282/: I somehow though that the 56 tanks mentioned earlier were tanks as in "armored vehicles", not tanks as in "tanks of fuel"? Really bad either way I guess.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

“Targeted”. That better mean any Russian nationals with assets over 1 million euros. Said assets should be seized with ownership permanently belonging to the local governments citizens. That poo poo doesn’t get “handed back” even when this is over.

None of this is correct lol

It's like you already made up your mind about stuff and are working backwards from there

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

kaaj posted:

Adding to subject though, with this article popping on Reddit - https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/02/26/7326282/: I somehow though that the 56 tanks mentioned earlier were tanks as in "armored vehicles", not tanks as in "tanks of fuel"? Really bad either way I guess.

Thats a win either way. No fuel, no wroom wroom.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
THE SANCTIONS EXPLAINER HAS LOGGED ON

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Play posted:

we get it, you're edgy. jeez. literally every single one of your posts has been garbage like this

little ironic that you're both agreeing with that DSA statement yet saying the west isn't going far enough, which is it? or is it just that this has to be the west's fault in your mind one way or another and you're working backwards from there

Pretty consistent actually if you read the last line

No war but class war.

Then again I’m not surprised by this threads reactions and takes considering homophobic garbage like this is posted:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

kaaj posted:

It's not and I don't want to move the discussion this way (there's more important things to talk about). This picture, among many others was (is?) officially banned by the Justice Ministry in Russia ( i.e. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/russia-bans-picture-of-vladimir-putin-in-drag ) and that's why it surfaces every so often.

That has the potential to put a lot more than 56 actual tanks out of business until they can bring replacement fuel up to the front.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fill Baptismal posted:

Is paratrooper a sufficiently specialized role that they're special forces or elites?

not "special forces" as we know it but generally very highly trained and professional soldiers

the entire idea of "parachute infantry" is dead. some troops may deploy by parachute in rare occasions but it turns out that the idea is bad. mostly, once the guys jump out of the airplane they are on their own. also, the entire process of jumping out of an airplane causes casualties from people loving up their legs on impact, and on top of that depending on the jump itself your guys get scattered so that there is a short period immediately post-jump that they are combat ineffective, lost, confused, and easy to wipe out. paratrooping became a thing because of ww2 and the limitations of technology at the time (helicopters hadn't been invented yet) but if you tally up all the for real parachute attacks during the war the results are pretty... meh

one thing that is important though is that if you're going to throw a bunch of dudes out of an airplane into enemy territory, they had better be real fuckin well equipped and trained to start fighting independently as soon as they hit dirt. having infantry that is highly trained, well equpped, and generally just better prepared for combat than line infantry is a useful thing itself. so, "paratroopers" becomes synonymous with "better than average infantry" in most armies, which eventually just becomes folded into "these infantry guys aren't dumbasses, these guys are good so give them the hard jobs". this attitude of paratrooper=elite somewhat persists in the american army, but it extra persists in the russian army, where instead of getting hung up on the idea of "special forces" as elite infantry (which is itself just a grab bag of all the different military branches - navy seals, marine recon, army rangers, etc) russia instead keeps with the idea of "paratroopers" as the elite infantry, who are the best trained and best equipped of the regular tier of infantry

so, its not so much that these guys jump out of planes (or, more realistically, are moved by helicopter) which makes them elite. its more like, these guys are elite, and one of the things elite infantry can do is jump out of planes (or helicopters). this partially explains why small groups of these soldiers keep being sent out on suicide missions - if you've got a desperate mission, you need to give it to your best dudes. the bigger question is why these desperation thrusts are being resorted to in the first place

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Well, if you want the exact wording, again...

quote:

Fourth, we commit to launching this coming week a transatlantic task force that will ensure the effective implementation of our financial sanctions by identifying and freezing the assets of sanctioned individuals and companies that exist within our jurisdictions. As a part of this effort we are committed to employing sanctions and other financial and enforcement measures on additional Russian officials and elites close to the Russian government, as well as their families, and their enablers to identify and freeze the assets they hold in our jurisdictions. We will also engage other governments and work to detect and disrupt the movement of ill-gotten gains, and to deny these individuals the ability to hide their assets in jurisdictions across the world.

Also others can explain in better detail, but apparently point 2, the restrictions on the central bank, has the potential to nuke the Russian economy. As in, triggering hyperinflation. That seems pretty harsh to me? But I'm going by how others have explained the fallout of freezing Russian central bank assets, I'm no economist myself.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

No war but class war.

Then again I’m not surprised by this threads reactions and takes considering homophobic garbage like this is posted:

No sanctions but max sanctions

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think it's homophobic transphobic garbage to be like hehe look at putin he has make up like a GIRL what a FAG or what the gently caress ever that image is supposed to invoke.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

kaaj posted:

well how brave of you to post it, that'll show him, watch out for spetznaz

e: im not gonna post abt it itt after this but yah:

Boba Pearl posted:

I think it's homophobic transphobic garbage to be like hehe look at putin he has make up like a GIRL what a FAG or what the gently caress ever that image is supposed to invoke.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Despera posted:

No sanctions but max sanctions

It's more, "maximize sanctions on the rich, minimize sanctions on the poor." Which is what one really would need to do to put effective economic pressure on the Russian war machine. The problem, of course, is that a lot of very wealthy people in the West would also stand to lose a lot of money that way, so we end up with half-measures instead.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

No war but class war.

Please engage with the points other posters have made wrt sanctions.

I do not find that Putin image to be homophobic? Given his regime's very hostile stance toward LGBTQ+ people it reads as mocking Putin, not mocking queer people.

edit: it's not particularly salient to the Ukraine/Russia conflict, if you're going to mock or ridicule Putin there are many ways to do so without going for queer issues.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 27, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia thinks the country that just shot a cruise missile at Kyiv is perfect neutral ground for peace talks.

What a farce

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497833230904532994?t=NcbRG91ERtIY5xh0guIQiA&s=19

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Aren't we getting any news from Ukraine? You dumbfucks are pretty boring with your bitch fights

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I wish people would stop getting so worked up about SWIFT. SWIFT is the small poo poo that does basically nothing anyway. The big poo poo is freezing the liquidity of the Russian central bank by blocking their access to Euro and Dollar reserves.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

It's more, "maximize sanctions on the rich, minimize sanctions on the poor." Which is what one really would need to do to put effective economic pressure on the Russian war machine. The problem, of course, is that a lot of very wealthy people in the West would also stand to lose a lot of money that way, so we end up with half-measures instead.

quote:

DSA International Committee calls on the US to reverse its ongoing militarization in the region, avoid implementing sanctions against Russia,

https://international.dsausa.org/statements/no-war-with-russia/

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Fritz the Horse posted:

I do not find that Putin image to be homophobic? Given his regime's very hostile stance toward LGBTQ+ people it reads as mocking Putin, not mocking queer people.

How is it mocking Putin, what is the main driving mechanism in the insult?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Majorian posted:

This isn't really a half measure though. Russian gas transactions don't need to rely on SWIFT. The central bank asset freeze is a financial nuke.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Popete posted:

Strong guy who is a nationalist and elected Trump.

Putin is a champion of white supremacy in that he's a leading figure in the rise of Traditionalism without the baggage of being Hitler.

KitConstantine posted:

This seems...bad

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497828558227574789?t=8DzOe5VN5AXcHuFySgZGvw&s=19

Machine translation

Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine / CinC AF of Ukraine

1 minute. .

A few minutes ago, the Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down a cruise missile fired at the capital of Ukraine from the territory of the Republic of Belarus by plane

TY-22.

This is another war crime of Belarus and Russia.

X

That's a Tupolev-22 Blinder bomber

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I wish people would stop getting so worked up about SWIFT. SWIFT is the small poo poo that does basically nothing anyway. The big poo poo is freezing the liquidity of the Russian central bank by blocking their access to Euro and Dollar reserves.

that's a lot more words than 'swift ban' and i think they get conflated because outside of ppl working in the financial industry who cares

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Trump posted:

Aren't we getting any news from Ukraine? You dumbfucks are pretty boring with your bitch fights

Sometimes no news is better than news because it means Russian offensive is stalling and its the worst thing that can happen to them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Despera posted:

White supremacy, christain supremacy, cultural conservatism, anti-lgbtq, anti woke, pro militarism, crony capitalism, BIG STRONG DADDY, isolationism.

All these things are bad.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Young Freud posted:

Putin is a champion of white supremacy in that he's a leading figure in the rise of Traditionalism without the baggage of being Hitler.

That's a Tupolev-22 Blinder bomber

Are you saying they dropped a bomber?

That's amazing if true.

However it's a war crime because the Ukrainians destroyed a peace keeping bomber

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Sometimes no news is better than news because it means Russian offensive is stalling and its the worst thing that can happen to them.

Well it looks like the Russian group that entered Kharkiv may have just gotten lost - they're driving in circles.

Looks like taking down street signs works

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1497834960857800704?t=j4jOkCMuYE4M1gfuOC7-Gg&s=19

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
There's been a lot of "freezing central bank assets is the super omega financial powerplay" type-posting. Anyone with more of a financial background: can anyone explain why Putin/Russia, which seems to have taken such careful steps towards autarky or long-term supply hoarding as part of his run up to this obviously planned war, seems to have missed preparing for this step? Is there something inherent in the structure of finance that meant there was no way it could have really been mitigated against?

Xotl fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 27, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I didn't defend that old DSA statement that was made before the war, and I don't agree with it anyway.

marxismftw posted:

This isn't really a half measure though. Russian gas transactions don't need to rely on SWIFT. The central bank asset freeze is a financial nuke.

Yeah but I'll believe that's actually happening when I see it. I'm not convinced that some of the governments considering that option won't get cold feet over it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Are you saying they dropped a bomber?

That's amazing if true.

However it's a war crime because the Ukrainians destroyed a peace keeping bomber

No, the bomber launched a cruise missile and it sounds like Ukrainian forces shot the missile down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fritz the Horse posted:

Please engage with the points other posters have made wrt sanctions.

edit: it's not particularly salient to the Ukraine/Russia conflict, if you're going to mock or ridicule Putin there are many ways to do so without going for queer issues.

I disagree on this one Fritz.

It's homophobic in that it's intended for him to be seen as a 'lesser man' due to the implications about orientation. Not cool stuff and frames being queer as something to be shamed by.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Xotl posted:

There's been a lot of "freezing central bank assets is the super omega financial powerplay" type-posting. Anyone with more of a financial background: can anyone explain why Putin/Russia, which seems to have taken such careful steps towards autarky or long-term supply hoarding as part of his run up to this obviously planned war, seems to have missed preparing for this step? is there something inherent in the structure of finance that meant there was no way it could have really been mitigated against?

I don't think he anticipated Russia would be cut off from international banking because he views EU as weak and indecisive, which is not entirely wrong assumption to make.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

It's homophobic in that it's intended for him to be seen as a 'lesser man' due to the implications about orientation. Not cool stuff and frames being queer as something to be shamed by.

Also I thought we kind of already worked through this back with Colbert and the whole "Trump sucks Putin's dick" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not taking an opinion either way on it, but I think this probably subjective to the individual who is viewing and interpreting it.

Having heard that is is banned in Russia and that Putin has been one of the leading anti-LGBTQ elements in Russia, to me it's simply propaganda targeted directly at his distaste for the LGBTQ community.

But I can also see your point (and others), hence why my tired brain is conflicted on it.