Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Diagonal circuits? Just how old was this car? I though that idea was done by the mid 60s in favor of front/rear.....because it's insane and causes handling problems.

2006? I thought that's what it was. It was very easy to lock up the brakes. Maybe I'm wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Car had a battery light on the dash. I replaced the battery, alternator and alternator belt. Battery light gone (It was the alternator) but I seem to hear a whirling noise when idle. I do not hear the noise outside of the car.

I assume maybe this is the alternator belt? Am I supposed to put some magic grease or something on it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lol internet. posted:

Car had a battery light on the dash. I replaced the battery, alternator and alternator belt. Battery light gone (It was the alternator) but I seem to hear a whirling noise when idle. I do not hear the noise outside of the car.

I assume maybe this is the alternator belt? Am I supposed to put some magic grease or something on it?

No grease lol. I replace an alternator recently and it's whining a bit more than the OEM one, I think that's just how it is. You could try adjusting the tension a bit to see if that changes anything.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Motronic posted:

Diagonal circuits? Just how old was this car? I though that idea was done by the mid 60s in favor of front/rear.....because it's insane and causes handling problems.

I think most cars still have diagonal splits.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sweevo posted:

I think most cars still have diagonal splits.

So a bit of checking around says this is a front wheel drive thing for some manufacturers. Because those are the same vehicles that typically have near useless rear brakes. Shameful.

Diagonal split started in 1967. F/R split happened in the 70s. Losing a diagonal split circuit on an early 70s pickup is terrifying - you hit the brakes and it wants to dive to one side or the other. As evidenced by me, you can easily go through life never working on a modern diagonal split when you don't deal with front wheel drive cars.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

lol internet. posted:

Don't ever put grease on it. I'm guessing the belt isn't quite adjusted right? Or I guess it could be the alternator itself as Mobby suggests. Most parts store rebuilds are very bad unless that has changed recently.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Charles posted:

Don't ever put grease on it. I'm guessing the belt isn't quite adjusted right? Or I guess it could be the alternator itself as Mobby suggests. Most parts store rebuilds are very bad unless that has changed recently.

mobby_6kl posted:

No grease lol. I replace an alternator recently and it's whining a bit more than the OEM one, I think that's just how it is. You could try adjusting the tension a bit to see if that changes anything.

That's good to hear. I did use a "remanufactured" alternator from AutoZone to save money.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 27, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

lol internet. posted:

That's good to hear. I use a "remanufactured" alternator from AutoZone to save money.

They (aftermarket alternators) really can be a crapshoot as far as quality goes. It'd be wise to at least monitor it for now and make sure it doesn't get worse. What car is this for though? Excess belt tension could also cause this as was mentioned, but if your car uses a serpentine belt instead, it's probably not that and might just be bearing noise.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

nitsuga posted:

They (aftermarket alternators) really can be a crapshoot as far as quality goes. It'd be wise to at least monitor it for now and make sure it doesn't get worse. What car is this for though? Excess belt tension could also cause this as was mentioned, but if your car uses a serpentine belt instead, it's probably not that and might just be bearing noise.

Scion Tc 2007 wiht about 190k miles.

Drove it for about an hour today, it was whirling and the car sort of started shaking when idle but it seems to of gone away 15mins into driving.

I'll see how it goes. They said the alternative had a lifetime warranty apparently heh or nothing crazy (ie. Show up in 30 years}

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Scion Tc 2007 wiht about 190k miles.

Drove it for about an hour today, it was whirling and the car sort of started shaking when idle but it seems to of gone away 15mins into driving.

I'll see how it goes. They said the alternative had a lifetime warranty apparently heh or nothing crazy (ie. Show up in 30 years}

Shaking would be a bit unusual for a belt issue, but I wouldn't go throwing the kitchen sink at it yet. It is a serpentine belt for that car, so I'd say it wouldn't hurt to check things over and make sure the belt has been routed correctly and is sitting well on all of the pulleys. It's possible your test drive got it to sit in place better, but yeah otherwise it's a matter of monitoring it I think.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
There could be a separate issue with an idler and/or tensioner pulley. Are you comfortable slipping the belt off? If yes, try spinning the pulleys that "don't do anything" and feel for any grittiness while listening for any sounds.

Also look and make sure the new alternator is co-planar with all the other pulleys. And inspect the belt for any fraying. It is possible the reman alternator has the wrong pulley for your application.

I like the Goodyear Gator belts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

I like the Goodyear Gator belts.

They don't make those anymore, unfortunately. They sold that division to Continental who kept making them for a little while but now they're just regular serpentine belts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is abs braking still "not a substitute for proper threshold braking"?

I know why it exists, because the masses can't properly threshold brake, but is it still not as good, or have advances in everything changed that?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

Is abs braking still "not a substitute for proper threshold braking"?

I know why it exists, because the masses can't properly threshold brake, but is it still not as good, or have advances in everything changed that?

It's always been better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

It's always been better.

Uh, let's not go that far. I suppose you never drive a first gen ABS system in something like an unloaded pickup in the rain/snow, or driven a discovery 1 ever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

Uh, let's not go that far. I suppose you never drive a first gen ABS system in something like an unloaded pickup in the rain/snow, or driven a discovery 1 ever.

saying something is bad because JLR implemented it badly isn't really fair

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Ok, I'm using hyperbole, but mostly countering the forum war racers of the 2000s . Things made in the past 20 years are good. Although my Kia is a little twitchy on broken roads.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I don't know if that is true. I seem to recall lots of negativity around GM systems that freak out in some high performance scenarios (wheels getting off the ground maybe?). I think I have heard a lot of complaints about ABS behavior on gravel and/or dirt roads.

Also, if ABS was universally good, people probably wouldn't be swapping that BMW M3 ABS system into other cars that already had ABS brakes.

All of that said, I haven't ever had an ABS activation that didn't seem justified by the conditions and situation.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, there's definitely a range between "good ABS" and "bad ABS". The worst aren't better than threshold braking, but are probably better than someone just stomping the pedal with no modulation in a non-ABS car.

There's also the ones that are fine on the street but become worse-than-useless when you're dealing with a hot track and sticky tires.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a range between "good ABS" and "bad ABS". The worst aren't better than threshold braking, but are probably better than someone just stomping the pedal with no modulation in a non-ABS car.

Thats kinda what I was getting at. Legit threshold braking is best, but the general populace can't do it because of the human factor, panic etc. Like even if you learn it properly at a track or training facility or wherever, thats one thing, but you need to practice it, and when its an actual emergency stop situation everyone reacts differently and all that training might go out the window. Hence ABS, where you just ram the pedal to the floor and let the ABS system do the work.

Which is why I'd always heard that threshold braking is best, but the vast majority of people are incapable of truly pulling it off IRL, so ABS for the masses.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Look, if Aryton Senna wanted ABS then I want ABS. Yes I'm not driving a Formula 1 car. But I'm not a race car driver either. All that poo poo about the average driver not being good enough is stupid forums bravado.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Thats kinda what I was getting at. Legit threshold braking is best, but the general populace can't do it because of the human factor, panic etc. Like even if you learn it properly at a track or training facility or wherever, thats one thing, but you need to practice it, and when its an actual emergency stop situation everyone reacts differently and all that training might go out the window. Hence ABS, where you just ram the pedal to the floor and let the ABS system do the work.

Which is why I'd always heard that threshold braking is best, but the vast majority of people are incapable of truly pulling it off IRL, so ABS for the masses.

99% of the people who claim they can threshold brake better than ABS actually can't. Really good pros can outperform ABS in a street car, but not many others.

On a track is a different story, but few cars are sold as dedicated track cars anyway.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Charles posted:

stupid forums bravado.

I want abs too. Where is my forums bravado? I was asking if its "still 'not as good' ".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I want abs too. Where is my forums bravado? I was asking if its "still 'not as good' ".

I think anything made in the last 10 years is totally better in anything other than unlikely edge cases. The problem with a lot of older ABS is that is had a LOT of those edge cases that weren't really all that "edge" like "stopping in snow then ice then snow again" or just "rain".

I'm with you. I want good ABS on any street car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

Sorry, this is my fault, I meant I recognized the threshold braking stuff people would say to try and show off how good of a driver they are on forums like VWVortex. I don't know the real answer, I suspect there are times when threshold braking may be better but I really really doubt it. I think most race teams run ABS. If you have a 4 channel system made in recent times I would not disable it, if that's what you're asking. Obviously if you have a mechanical ABS system from the 80s (or 70s!) it probably sucks, or single channel, etc. The best thing you can do for braking performance is upgrade your tires. Don't have to be race tires, but there are great all season tires out there now that are way better than even performance tires of the past.

Again my fault for my answers coming off as snarky, I didn't mean to do that but I did. I do want to be helpful to you.

edit: And yeah I agree with Motronic, I would get up really early or late on a snowy day, go to an empty parking lot and try it out there too -- even with good tires I find finding the point before the ABS kicks in can help you understand how it reacts in snow / ice.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 1, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm thinking about renting a Civic Type R while in LA via Turo in a few weeks.

I've rented through Turo a few times before. While there are way more interesting and fun cars to rent I have gotten more anxious about the potential for the renter trying to blame me fore non-existent damage or having to buy additional insurance or something else.

The particular renter with the CTR has an enormous fleet of cars, and I'm pretty sure I rented a 2016 ND Miata from them the last time I was in LA, many years ago. I didn't have any issues with them, other than the seat being very worn out from hundreds of other butts in it. Hertz definitely has some cheaper options, but about the most fun of a car you can get with them will be some garbage convertible Camaro, if I'm not mistaken.

Are there any other options I should consider?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I talked to my insurance before I rented from Turo and they said I was covered minus deductible. I'd call your agent and check and they're probably more familiar with Turo now too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Charles posted:

I talked to my insurance before I rented from Turo and they said I was covered minus deductible. I'd call your agent and check and they're probably more familiar with Turo now too.

I have USAA and way back when I called them last time, they didn't even know what Turo was.

I'll have to call them tomorrow; being a degenerate/ADHD haver sucks when I'm feeling awake or productive way out of business hours.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Do not rent through Turo. If you want to know more you can PM me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MetaJew posted:

I'll have to call them tomorrow; being a degenerate/ADHD haver sucks when I'm feeling awake or productive way out of business hours.

I feel this so hard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm curious enough to PM you

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I'm giving another shot at diagnosing a possible bad cv axle on the fit. This only happens during left-hand, and seemingly only at particular angles, if i turn tigher, it seems to go away. The noise also seems to come from the inside (left) side, isn't it supposed to be the opposite, since the right side would be loaded up?

[video here]

Is there any way to confirm for 100% thati it's the CV joint without actually repalcing it first?

Well I wanted to finally figure this out for sure. I stuck a lav mic first on the fron and then rear wheel arch. This is from the inside/left rear wheel while going around two roundabouts:

https://i.imgur.com/laAvQCc.mp4
(to be clear, his is a video, so unmute it as it was muted by default for me)

I'm releived it's not a CV axle (though I now have spare), but what the hell could possibly be making this noise in the rear but only when it's unloaded at a particular speed? I cleaned up the caliper slide pins recently and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm curious enough to PM you
I did too, the horror story certainly amde sure I won't use them outside of a legit emergency or something

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 1, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

PM'd

I'd read about the guy on twitter getting billed $500 for some finger smudges on glossy trim from a lovely renter and that's what has spooked me. I just wish rental car agencies actually had cool cars, or I knew someone with cool cars. Womp womp.

I dont think an automatic mustang gt, for example, is worth a $200/day rental.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MetaJew posted:

PM'd

I'd read about the guy on twitter getting billed $500 for some finger smudges on glossy trim from a lovely renter and that's what has spooked me. I just wish rental car agencies actually had cool cars, or I knew someone with cool cars. Womp womp.

I dont think an automatic mustang gt, for example, is worth a $200/day rental.

Do you think that Hertz is going to keep a large fleet of C8 Z06es? They did it for C7 Z06s: https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020/05/19/fire-sale-hertz-offers-fleet-of-c7-z06s-for-sale-ahead-of-potential-bankruptcy-filing/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Charles posted:

Sorry, this is my fault, I meant I recognized the threshold braking stuff people would say to try and show off how good of a driver they are on forums like VWVortex. I don't know the real answer, I suspect there are times when threshold braking may be better but I really really doubt it. I think most race teams run ABS. If you have a 4 channel system made in recent times I would not disable it, if that's what you're asking. Obviously if you have a mechanical ABS system from the 80s (or 70s!) it probably sucks, or single channel, etc. The best thing you can do for braking performance is upgrade your tires. Don't have to be race tires, but there are great all season tires out there now that are way better than even performance tires of the past.

Again my fault for my answers coming off as snarky, I didn't mean to do that but I did. I do want to be helpful to you.

edit: And yeah I agree with Motronic, I would get up really early or late on a snowy day, go to an empty parking lot and try it out there too -- even with good tires I find finding the point before the ABS kicks in can help you understand how it reacts in snow / ice.

No worries, I remember the early 2000s car forums and all the :rice: bullshit and people claiming how good a driver they are.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm sure they exist, but I've personally never met an ABS system that engaged before you actually achieved lockup when working as built. That always made the keyboard racers seem even more silly to me, because if they're so good at threshold braking then they shouldn't be activating ABS in the first place.

My '93 Crown Vic's ABS failed at one point in a way that made it falsely detect lockup and trigger at about 3 MPH while stopping, that was sketchy as gently caress when it first happened, but that was a 21 year old car from salt country that had seen a decade of police service, and it was blatantly screaming at me via dashboard lights that something was wrong. I never actually fixed that, just got in the habit of pulling the ABS fuse whenever the light came on.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Sometimes you can "fix" an ABS sensor on a poorly-maintained vehicle just by cleaning all the metal dust from deferred brake maintenance off the magnetic sensor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bought my certified used Kona from a Hyundai dealership about 5 weeks ago, 25k miles on it 2019 model. It wouldn’t start tonight after work, so got a jump through a tow guy via Geico and it jumped back to life. Got home, made sure I’d had it running for about 30 minutes and turned the engine off. Tried to restart, same issue again. Dash goes all crazy with settings turning themselves on and off, but just clicking as it won’t turn over.

I’m guessing my next step is call the dealership I bought from tomorrow morning and request someone come to mine with a new battery? Or are they gonna tell me to shove off and I somehow have to get the car to them (about 30 miles)? I’ve only ever owned a car that was a bunch of years fully paid off and under no warranties at all so I have no clue what my rights are, or best way to approach so any advice welcome. (US, as I’m sure this differs between countries too).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

wolrah posted:

My '93 Crown Vic's ABS failed at one point in a way that made it falsely detect lockup and trigger at about 3 MPH while stopping, that was sketchy as gently caress when it first happened, but that was a 21 year old car from salt country that had seen a decade of police service, and it was blatantly screaming at me via dashboard lights that something was wrong. I never actually fixed that, just got in the habit of pulling the ABS fuse whenever the light came on.

My work had a late 90s GMC 2500 years ago that that happened to. you'd just be driving in the parking lot at work, middle of a summer drought, touch the brake pedal and it would go off.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Bought my certified used Kona from a Hyundai dealership about 5 weeks ago, 25k miles on it 2019 model. It wouldn’t start tonight after work, so got a jump through a tow guy via Geico and it jumped back to life. Got home, made sure I’d had it running for about 30 minutes and turned the engine off. Tried to restart, same issue again. Dash goes all crazy with settings turning themselves on and off, but just clicking as it won’t turn over.

I’m guessing my next step is call the dealership I bought from tomorrow morning and request someone come to mine with a new battery? Or are they gonna tell me to shove off and I somehow have to get the car to them (about 30 miles)? I’ve only ever owned a car that was a bunch of years fully paid off and under no warranties at all so I have no clue what my rights are, or best way to approach so any advice welcome. (US, as I’m sure this differs between countries too).

You might be able to get it towed there, but I would be surprised if they just haul a battery out to you. Obviously the first step is to call and ask. It’s possible they don’t even cover batteries with your warranty, so it might be worth the time to read over the literature about your warranty that they gave you (presumably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How the hell do child seats work? I'll probably need to transport some refugees with a 5 year old, and since the Miata isn't the answer (sadly) I'll have to use my GD Fit/Jazz. I don't have kinds so I'm pretty clueless, but I assume 5 is big enough not to need those enormous rear-facing ones? Would they use the regular seatbelts?