Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean, 3080 Ti/3090 AIB models already have 400W power limits. I have a 3080 Ti and a 850W PSU, and I feel like I have at least 150W of headroom when running at full bore, probably more. A 500W GPU should be possible with an 850W PSU, but nvidia needs to work on their power delivery and make it less spikey.

Inept posted:

Also if you're realistically talking about a kilowatt of heat output, you're going to be miserable if you don't have additional cooling in the room. There's limits to what they're going to crank GPU wattage to.

The traditional limit has always been what the silicon will tolerate. As GPUs get bigger, you can pump more power into them before the VF curve turns into a flat line, but Nvidia is also running into the limits of manufacturing practicality. This is why AMD is going MCM, and Nvidia will be following behind them pretty closely. High-end AMD GPUs will have a shitload of silicon without being impossible to manufacture due to it being spread across two dies, and now they're going to be running the much fuzzier limitation of what the user will tolerate. Heat output is going to be a big issue for sure.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's nothing 'occasional' about the hitching in elden ring, it is really very poor and just makes game journos and their 96 opencritic rating even less credible than they were before

You can stand still overlooking the field where the sentinel roams with no movement or panning and the frame time graph literally looks like an EKG of a dude having a heart attack

dunno, this doesn't square with my experience at all. as has been said there's a bit of stutter when loading new areas, but i have a few hours in the game now so a lot of the shader effects are cached. the tree sentinel at the start of the game is as bad as it's gotten, and that's right at the start of the game so understandable that people have gotten a bad first impression from that. it's not as if i'm not sensitive to stutter, i won't play any unreal engine 4 games because of the persistent asset streaming stutter in them

change my name posted:

Ehhh, it hasn't been that bad for me on a 3070 with everything set to high. The tutorial dungeon was locked at 60 but then getting outside there are definite momentary drops to 40 fps (and sometimes as low as 7) when running around and loading new areas, and I can definitely feel the microstutters thanks to longer frame times even when the overlay says 60 fps, but nothing really game breaking. It feels unoptimized, not unplayable. I will say that I guess it's nice to play a new AAA game and not even have my fans ramp up, though

about sums it up

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also, there are a handful of 3070 Tis that are just like, in stock and available at newegg? Like this: https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-tuf-rtx3070ti-o8g-gaming/p/N82E16814126512?Item=N82E16814126512&quicklink=true

It's not a good deal, but I'm surprised that it's just listed there and staying in stock. There are also over 180 combo items now when filtering for "RTX". Most of them are bad, but maybe you'll find something usable in there. As I posted earlier, the EVGA deals aren't horrible (and their 3070 Ti one is better than that Asus deal if you need a new PSU, though save the $100 and get the regular 3070 imo).

I guess this is why there haven't been any new shuffles since tuesday. They're just kinda selling them now.

edit:

:chloe:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 27, 2022

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Alex Battaglia from Digital Foundry just posted their video on Elden Ring's underwhelming PC performance

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1497604294194905093

mA fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 27, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elden Ring apparently runs on the Steam Deck. I wonder how that experience is.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Steam Deck is probably fairly comparable to a Series X so might be decent. I get horrible jutter/frame issues if I try to stream and only kind of occasional ones when not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bus hustler posted:

Steam Deck is probably fairly comparable to a Series X so might be decent. I get horrible jutter/frame issues if I try to stream and only kind of occasional ones when not.

In what way do you mean "comparable" here? Because the Series X is like an order of magnitude more powerful than the steam deck lol

In digital foundry's coverage of the steam deck, they've found that it's generally around 20% faster at 720p than the base PS4 is at 1080p, but it's a good bit slower than the base PS4 when both are at 1080p (the steam deck only has an 800p screen though).

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Oh thats super disappointing but you're right & similar performance on the laptops with that chipset. Hmm will probably play like a better CPU PS4 then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

K8.0 posted:

Looks to me like there's some issue with the way they handle glow from lights and DLSS. You didn't even highlight the worst example, the street lights glowing in the wrong direction at the bottom of the image is way more significant to me.

That does look a little odd. The sign stuck out to me more because the pixelation is pretty sharp and distracting.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

bus hustler posted:

EDIT -

Beaten but for a short answer:

Steam Deck played in handheld native resolution (800p) is more or less equal to the PS4 powerwise.

If you want to run those same games at the PS4 standard resolution of 1080p then you get roughly 2/3rds of the PS4 performance.

EDIT 2 - These benchmarks make the Switch performance impressive for a 2017 machine.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 27, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

mA posted:

Alex Battaglia from Digital Foundry just posted their video on Elden Ring's underwhelming PC performance

well, it's not 'unavoidably bad' like the tweet says. my (admittedly new) PC is playing it without any issues at all. alder lake, new DDR4, gen 4 nvme ssd, 3xxx series RTX, etc.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

pmchem posted:

well, it's not 'unavoidably bad' like the tweet says. my (admittedly new) PC is playing it without any issues at all. alder lake, new DDR4, gen 4 nvme ssd, 3xxx series RTX, etc.

I mean, I'm glad you're having a good experience, but the problems around stuttering are still there. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but I don't blame people who paid full price for the PC version and find the stutters and hitches detrimental to their play experience.

Edit: Yesterday Bandai Namco release a statement validating PC performance issues: https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/message-about-some-performance-issues-elden-ring

mA fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 27, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pmchem posted:

It is unavoidable for people whose system it affects. As in, no amount of tinkering seems to resolve it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder if PCIE4 makes a tangible difference with the streaming stutters, assuming it's doing something dumb with upload scheduling that blocks rendering until the upload is done

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

I wonder if PCIE4 makes a tangible difference with the streaming stutters, assuming it's doing something dumb with upload scheduling that blocks rendering until the upload is done

The streaming stutters are fairly minor compared to the shader compilation, and it seems equivalent on both pcie 3 and 4 systems.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
does ER run on a new engine?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

does ER run on a new engine?

Fundamentally no, though a lot of stuff has changed, and the renderer is now exclusively directx 12.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Not that it’s acceptable, but I can’t imagine people in 2022 thinking a pc game is ready to play at launch. It’s inconceivable to me. Has it happened? I’m not much of a gamer but it seems like it’s pretty common for these things to need patched up the wazoo to get stable every drat time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
from do not have a great post launch reputation either. they left the original pc release of dark souls significantly broken without a fan mod for like what years? they only really fixed it with the remaster.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DamnGlitch posted:

Not that it’s acceptable, but I can’t imagine people in 2022 thinking a pc game is ready to play at launch. It’s inconceivable to me. Has it happened? I’m not much of a gamer but it seems like it’s pretty common for these things to need patched up the wazoo to get stable every drat time.

Depends entirely on witchcraft factors beyond all control. I played through Cyberpunk 2077 on release before even the first hotfix and had zero problems. :shrug:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Grand Fromage posted:

Depends entirely on witchcraft factors beyond all control. I played through Cyberpunk 2077 on release before even the first hotfix and had zero problems. :shrug:

i had that happen back in the day with new vegas, which had a ton of scripting problems and poo poo but none of the technical issues that everyone else seemed to have. i figured that whatever my config was must have been very similar/the same as one of the test configs or maybe testers configs or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

God of War, Forza Horizon, and Far Cry 6 are a few recent ones that I've played at launch issue-free. I dunno, I think you're taking a handful of bad examples and extending their badness across all of PC gaming for some reason.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DamnGlitch posted:

Call of Duty Vanguard was completely rock solid on release for me

same with Project Wingman

same with Diablo 2 Resurrected

Battlefield 2042 I don't recall having any problems with from a technical perspective - it just has some issues with not being a very good game per se

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fromsofts last game, Sekiro, was also basically fine at launch aside from the usual 60fps cap

Though that was published by Activision instead of Bamco so maybe the QA process was different

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

God of War, Forza Horizon, and Far Cry 6 are a few recent ones that I've played at launch issue-free. I dunno, I think you're taking a handful of bad examples and extending their badness across all of PC gaming for some reason.

Yeah I can't actually think of the last game I played that had gamebreaking technical issues at launch. Bloodlines, maybe? It's been a long time.

Postin' on page 3080.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
tbh as i've gotten older and my steam, epic and game pass libraries have spiralled into labyrinthine infinity i almost never play games at launch anymore. wait until it's cheap of free.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
wait until the DLC is out since i'm only going to play anything once.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Buy expensive graphics cards and then play games that are nowhere close to requiring them like me. That pretty new Horizon game? Nah I'm good *plays Teamfight Tactics*.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I can't actually think of the last game I played that had gamebreaking technical issues at launch. Bloodlines, maybe? It's been a long time.

Postin' on page 3080.

Console ports on PC have come a long way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Buy expensive graphics cards and then play games that are nowhere close to requiring them like me. That pretty new Horizon game? Nah I'm good *plays Teamfight Tactics*.

Buddy, I can't tell you how excited I am to get SimCity 4 running on my new crazy rear end system.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Buddy, I can't tell you how excited I am to get SimCity 4 running on my new crazy rear end system.

unfortunate example because sim city 4 often crashes unless you lasso the executable to a single core

anyway i'll go back to playing that one civ 4 mod that extends the tech tree from the first cavemen to the entire universe and hyperspace with my 12900k and 3090

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

unfortunate example because sim city 4 often crashes unless you lasso the executable to a single core

anyway i'll go back to playing that one civ 4 mod that extends the tech tree from the first cavemen to the entire universe and hyperspace with my 12900k and 3090

Civ 4 could really use a 4K HD makeover

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Most annoying thing is that cities:skylines is single threaded and it uses poo poo like directx9 or something to render. The screen is full of details my 3080 could render but no. It doesn't break even 50C when gaming, GPU downlocks and GPU usage is under 40%.

The game just can't issue enough draw calls to GPU because of the lovely ancient tech it uses. I could play this with a 1/6th powered GPU and it would not run any worde than now.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 27, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Bamco has apologized for the performance issues in elden ring so hopefully they will look into it. Goons may be incapable of seeing hitches and stutters if this thread is anything to go by, but for a large number of people it's not enjoyable to play

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:rolleyes: they're there, but it's not a dealbreaker, is all we're saying. congrats on having the framepacing equivalent of perfect pitch though

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sphyre posted:

:rolleyes: they're there, but it's not a dealbreaker, is all we're saying. congrats on having the framepacing equivalent of perfect pitch though

The poo poo that happened at the end of the Sajam clip above does not require the frame pacing equivalent of perfect pitch to be a deal breaker. That kind of hitch straight up gets your character killed with no way to prevent it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I get frame issues in some locations, but it runs fine 99% of the time. Is that not the case for most people? I was under the impression it was certain areas, like the area in the forest east of the castle is always pretty bad.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Rusty posted:

I get frame issues in some locations, but it runs fine 99% of the time. Is that not the case for most people? I was under the impression it was certain areas, like the area in the forest east of the castle is always pretty bad.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2022-elden-rings-pc-performance-simply-isnt-good-enough
"All of this combines to produce an off-putting experience that high specs cannot overcome - I was testing on a top-end rig with a Core i9 10900K and an RTX 3090. Even running the game at 720p with the lowest settings didn't give me a smooth experience. It gets worse the less capable your PC is, particularly on the CPU side."

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I mean, yeah, I own the game and play on a 3080 and am telling you for 99% of the game it is locked at 60hz, and in some areas or some cases it drops considerably. I am just saying, most of the game pays fine. I watch people play as well and seems like it was the same areas I was having issues with but for the most part it stays locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Will it not go above 60hz?