Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Smeee getting utterly hosed up is great :chefskiss:

Was pretty good. And also funny that team Gigabyte's captain competely called out Smeeee's flaw. It's just 2 min bots that also uses a lot of weight with the wedge...

Would be cool if he dialed it in or maybe made a center bot with a huge wedge sticking out both sides instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol the Tombstone/Free Shipping fight

Tombstone could probably use some sort of an overhaul

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

=
Tombstone could probably use some sort of an overhaul

I mean they're 0 and 2, that's worse than tombstone

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Has the catgirl robot ever even won a match?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Twice apparently.

https://battlebots.fandom.com/wiki/Overhaul

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

I will always root for the Lost Otakus robot

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Beat Lock Jaw in a playoff match. Wouldn't have expected that.

And Chomp, but that's a freebie

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I totally forgot that Jamison Go was on team cat ears for the first season. I know all the BB teams are basically friends but I'd be pretty jealous of Sawblaze if I were Charles Guan.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
He's got a good series on building the various incarnations of Overhaul here and other places around his site:

https://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?cat=123

He's posted some frustration at how boring horizontal and vertical spinners are, and I believe him that he has no desire to join all the other teams in converging on almost exactly the same design.

I guess that's part of what Battlebots is trying to do with mixing things up with the upperdeck, but it really is a challenging problem, trying to encourage more innovation.

Like, Smee and Huge, and probably Hydra don't really have a chance of ever winning. The latter two are hyped up a lot in commentary, but their reputation hasn't really been particularly lived up to

ante fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 27, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Huge knocked out Bite Force's weapon and had them on the ropes before Huge inexplicably fell apart

Maybe not now, but Huge 1.0 had a real shot because no one knew how to fight it

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bonus fight up. Interesting it's the 1st we've seen of Big Dill's team captain... wonder why they haven't given them a fight at this point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96W63zIT0S0

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

ante posted:

He's got a good series on building the various incarnations of Overhaul here and other places around his site:

https://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?cat=123

He's posted some frustration at how boring horizontal and vertical spinners are, and I believe him that he has no desire to join all the other teams in converging on almost exactly the same design.

I guess that's part of what Battlebots is trying to do with mixing things up with the upperdeck, but it really is a challenging problem, trying to encourage more innovation.

Like, Smee and Huge, and probably Hydra don't really have a chance of ever winning. The latter two are hyped up a lot in commentary, but their reputation hasn't really been particularly lived up to

I will never make fun of Team Cat Ears if he makes a heavyweight version of his best bot, Stance Stance Revolution. Mind you can't imagine the logistics of being able to drive that bot, but still.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bonus fight up. Interesting it's the 1st we've seen of Big Dill's team captain... wonder why they haven't given them a fight at this point?

I wonder about that late hit on Jager. It seemed like a cheap shot on a bot that was already counted out. How salty does this make a team to have to do more repair on a bot due to late hits or unnecessary hits during count-outs? I've noticed some drivers will ask opponents if they want to take more hits during countdowns, but there didn't seem tot be anything like that here. But even forgiving that, the last hit was clearly after the count-out. That just seems like a lovely thing to do, but maybe the teams don't care. I dunno.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the aggregate win rate of multibots are. I bet it's like 15% or something. Shredderator didn't even look like it was going half speed

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Railing Kill posted:

I wonder about that late hit on Jager. It seemed like a cheap shot on a bot that was already counted out.

The drivers can't hear other team being counted out, but more to the point the fight was edited to make the hit look late.

https://old.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/t2n1tg/battlebots_bonus_fight_captain_shrederator_vs/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Best part of this was the sawbot doing pretty well, then the other weaponless bot just kept slamming into it for no reason.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The driver of Big Dill can only use one stick on his controller at a time for some reason

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Shred wasn't very good, but Jager is poop

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm telling you, 500 1 pound bots. Name them the Smiths.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doomba Brigade

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I really wish they'd give a weight bonus to cluster bots, 150lb at most or something. Also Shred's "Wings of Liberty" shell seems like a bad idea, when they fully span up they actually looked like they were close to taking off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm telling you, 500 1 pound bots. Name them the Smiths.

One of them is pretty much guaranteed to slide underneath and highcenter most other bots so they win by count out, they just have to make sure that at least 251 of the nanobots survive until that happens

Of course if the opponent isn't groundhugging they're pretty much hosed .....

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

halokiller posted:

I will never make fun of Team Cat Ears if he makes a heavyweight version of his best bot, Stance Stance Revolution. Mind you can't imagine the logistics of being able to drive that bot, but still.

That looks like Gyroscopic hell to drive.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I have a sneaky suspicion that it uses gyro to move.

Edit: Oh no, I'm full of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qokmLgVOYt0

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 28, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zedd posted:

That looks like Gyroscopic hell to drive.

Just add another pair of spinners angled in the opposite direction and then you got a stew going

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

halokiller posted:

There was a bot that looked like this in ABC days and it got disintegrated by Tombstone

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There was a bot that looked like this in ABC days and it got disintegrated by Tombstone

Counter Revolution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mRTh3vIsug

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Going to wait until later when they put the full fight card. But Scorpios & Yeti is the main event for tomorrow night.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Can Cobalt break Gruff? Can Deep Six punt Minotaur?

Robot fighting time

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here we go... Possibly some pretty tough draws for some of the 1-1 teams... Gruff & Yeti have some potentially tough matches to get through to get to 2-1!

Lockjaw is at 0-2 and having to go against what has been a pretty solid flipper, but Lockjaw can possibly go the distance so who knows!

Edit - Well poo poo timing :lol:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good poo poo in that fight card

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Lockjaw is at 0-2 and having to go against what has been a pretty solid flipper, but Lockjaw can possibly go the distance so who knows!

Are they doing a desperado tournament again this year?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Good poo poo in that fight card

Are they doing a desperado tournament again this year?

Not sure, been a few years since they gave them that option... Although Lockjaw is a team that will get in the tournament at 1-2, and I think there is some chance they survive against a flipper bot...

Perhaps the most odd thing on the season, is there are at least 2 bots on the 2021 page that entered the even just for Bounty Hunters season 2, but thus far there has been no word on it being a thing... (Perfect Phoenix, mom wouldn't let the kid miss school for Battlebots... & Big Dill for reasons unknown)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Perhaps the most odd thing on the season, is there are at least 2 bots on the 2021 page that entered the even just for Bounty Hunters season 2, but thus far there has been no word on it being a thing... (Perfect Phoenix, mom wouldn't let the kid miss school for Battlebots... & Big Dill for reasons unknown)

I wonder if the fact that Bounty Hunters was a spoiler for the playoffs is information known widely enough that they don't want to market it until after the point it would spoil anything.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure, been a few years since they gave them that option... Although Lockjaw is a team that will get in the tournament at 1-2, and I think there is some chance they survive against a flipper bot...

Also Double Jeopardy apparently showed up just for BH.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Minotaur vs. Deep Six is gonna be some good violence.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Big Dill is a repurposed warhawk frame so they may not have had the parts to do a full tournament run. The builder is on the Jager team so he's doing something.

It's not surprising some showed up just for the bounty hunter tournament. Easier to get a weekend off than two weeks straight.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Cobalt good lord

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Welp, the cable's out. Guess I'll hotspot this on Discovery+.

Gruff v. Cobalt is a cruel draw for a 1-1 match because I think either would beat most other 1-1 bots. Holy poo poo did Cobalt look good though.

No real surprise in the Riptide-Duck match since Hal Rucker straight-up retired the bot recently.

Pretty textbook for Valkyrie over some loserbot.

I did not expect Blip to win honestly, despite the records.

Minotaurrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Hijinks has been hitting hard this season. Subzero's a real good win for them.

Pretty good main event. Derek once again the judge where you're wondering what the gently caress fight he was watching though. I don't think it was particularly close.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Deep Six with the tactical error of staying in the square and then get stuck in extremely weird posistions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Welp, the cable's out. Guess I'll hotspot this on Discovery+.

Gruff v. Cobalt is a cruel draw for a 1-1 match because I think either would beat most other 1-1 bots. Holy poo poo did Cobalt look good though.

No real surprise in the Riptide-Duck match since Hal Rucker straight-up retired the bot recently.

Pretty textbook for Valkyrie over some loserbot.

I did not expect Blip to win honestly, despite the records.

Minotaurrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Hijinks has been hitting hard this season. Subzero's a real good win for them.

Pretty good main event. Derek once again the judge where you're wondering what the gently caress fight he was watching though. I don't think it was particularly close.

i gotta say, its insane how much better this poo poo is without commercials