Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

actionjackson posted:

is godrick's great rune bugged? I don't think my stats changed at all

I think there are some minor translation issues on Great Rune stuff. I'm pretty sure you have to activate a Rune Arc to get the benefits of your equipped Great Rune, even though some of the text in the game implies that it's passive to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

goferchan posted:

No the normal holy blade enchantment lasts for at least a couple minutes lol. That's what you get for heresy!

Is that enchant the one you also need some Int for?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I started exploring after hitting the Margit roadblock and I originally thought “wow this map looks pretty small??”

I just got to Dragon Barrow and I just wanna lol and lmao at myself for thinking the map wouldn’t get bigger.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hm earlier in the game I found an encampment that I never cleared and now I can't find it. I could swear it was on the weeping peninsula but maybe limgrave? had a whole bunch of dudes, some horse guys around it, and the most notable thing were two sorcerors on opposite examples of those big square structures that are tilted at a diagonal angle into the ground.

i wanna go back and kill everyone somebody remind me where that is..

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

spoilers for character that appears in the hold. is that solaire all pox ridden and red?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Complaining wins again! Finally took him down after two more tries.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Willfrey posted:

how to buy upgrade mats

Thanks. I was doing fine once I got over my smithstone[1] hump, but it's much nicer being able to just buy the damned things so I can test out some other weapons.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

boop the snoot posted:

I started exploring after hitting the Margit roadblock and I originally thought “wow this map looks pretty small??”

I just got to Dragon Barrow and I just wanna lol and lmao at myself for thinking the map wouldn’t get bigger.

And then you realise that you're only on the above ground layer.

I just ran in to sauron's eye what in the gently caress. The madness effect when it procs is sick. Spark and fire shoot out you eyes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Karanas posted:

Complaining wins again! Finally took him down after two more tries.

Hell yeah. The magic power of complaining on the internet genuinely frightens me sometimes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ok, here's a new one -- been playing since launch just fine, including after the patch yesterday that changed some Easy Anti Cheat stuff. Now my game won't launch today and I get the following error:

Any clue? A restart doesn't seem to fix it. I've got 16GB of memory and that seems like plenty free according to the resource monitor. The only post I could find online about that error message was here where someone realizes it was this MinervaShield software running in the background that triggered it, but I don't think I have anything similar installed. I'm absolutely stumped because I've launched the game a ton of times between Thursday night and now and I don't think anything's changed that would cause this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

goferchan posted:

Ok, here's a new one -- been playing since launch just fine, including after the patch yesterday that changed some Easy Anti Cheat stuff. Now my game won't launch today and I get the following error:

Any clue? A restart doesn't seem to fix it. I've got 16GB of memory and that seems like plenty free according to the resource monitor. The only post I could find online about that error message was here where someone realizes it was this MinervaShield software running in the background that triggered it, but I don't think I have anything similar installed. I'm absolutely stumped because I've launched the game a ton of times between Thursday night and now and I don't think anything's changed that would cause this.

My default recommendation would be to fully reinstall EAC, including wiping it at out at the registry level if you feel comfortable with that. EAC has a history of just jacking itself up from one day to the next because of some game doing a bad patch or something and a full reinstall usually covers it. Extremely annoying bullshit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm doing Castle Morne and have a side-quest from Irina to deliver a letter to her father. I did and found him but when I went to talk to Irina again she was dead, wtf. Everything was going well. Was I supposed to kill the boss before talking to her again?

Orv
May 4, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I'm doing Castle Morne and have a side-quest from Irina to deliver a letter to her father. I did and found him but when I went to talk to Irina again she was dead, wtf. Everything was going well. Was I supposed to kill the boss before talking to her again?

That's just how that goes as far as is known atm.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Karanas posted:

Crucible knight is making me poo poo a brick right now.
It was hard enough getting a good hit in his first phase, but in his second, all his attacks become unsafe as he'll randomly decide to follow up with a tail swipe. Probably doesn't help that I'm swinging a katana at a heavily armored foe. Probably a bit too low level too.
Welp here's hoping complaining on the internet prevails again.

A lot of his attacks can be parried if that helps

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What are the weapon arts I see people mention occasionally? I just have the starting Confessor broadsword with a sacred golden vow ash of war on it.

Also it's so clunky to activate that having to put it in 2H mode.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Barudak posted:

Thats why you lure him into the hole the elevator leaves behind instead

Yeah, I was considering two-handing a tower shield and pushing him to his death but I wanted to at least try and have a "fair" fight first :v: In any case, the game started crashing when I take the lift down so I'm taking that as a hint to come back and kill the bastard later.

That dude and the banished knights having a magic attack makes me think that the devs watched players parrying their way through the DS games and decided to compensate for it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KingKapalone posted:

What are the weapon arts I see people mention occasionally? I just have the starting Confessor broadsword with a sacred golden vow ash of war on it.

Get a no skill shield like the brass shield (dropped by the Godric knights all over Limgrave) and you can use weapon arts in one hand mode as well.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Loving this game so far, just beat Godrick.
I'm running an INT build with a magic infusion on the Lordsworn Greatsword.
Are there any bigger weapons that scale well if I put a magic infusion on them? I want to do more stance damage with my stanced and jumping attacks. Putting it on a Battlehammer or Greataxe would actually do less damage than the greatsword.

Orv
May 4, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

The Vow is the starting weapon art for that weapon.

Basically weapon arts are things that drop from enemies, bosses and white scarabs that you can apply to weapons of certain types that give you an L2 ability when two handing the weapon. They're extremely powerful and are definitely the intended way to engage with a lot of the hyper fast, hyper aggressive bosses because the good weapon arts will chunk them for like 1/6th of their health.

You can also buy empty weapon arts from the Warmaster in Limgrave, east of Stormvale that allow you to remove the parry/whatever from your shield or off-hand so you can do weapon arts one handed.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Btw anyone knows where I can find some cool dex weapons? All I have right now is the flail, uchigatana and rapier for beating Godrick. I'm looking for something with a bit more pizazz, a bit flashier y'know? There's a real lack compared to all the STR/FTH/INT stuff I've found so far.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Blood slash has solved all of my problems with the early game it's so good. And now I want to know where more blood stuff is. Where's more blood elden ring?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Anyone find the recipe book for sleep arrows? I've found the sleep pot one and like every other imaginable arrow. I tried Google but it appears there's no info out yet on the location.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

hazardousmouse posted:

Somehow I missed that your horse can double jump on my first game and now that I've restarted I got that helpful tip and now nothing can stop my exploration! I'm clearly meant to be utilizing this, I can't imagine how you'd get all over the place in magictown without it.

its amazing, you can go up and around so many areas, basically anything thats not totally vertical. and the horse controls well enough that you wont just ride off a cliff

Orv
May 4, 2011

Valdent posted:

Blood slash has solved all of my problems with the early game it's so good. And now I want to know where more blood stuff is. Where's more blood elden ring?

Blood Slash is loving absurd and I haven't swapped it out for anything else yet because goddamn. I have found a couple more blood spells but the blood magic stuff seems fairly limited.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In case anyone was curious, (weapon spoilers) here is a video showing off the move set of this game’s version of the Moonlight Greatsword.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Question about "first" boss. Is the wizard dude you can summon someone I've met / unlocked, or is he just there for everyone. I did my first evergaeol by summoning wolf guy which was super cool, but I care less about summoning random NPC's.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

Question about "first" boss. Is the wizard dude you can summon someone I've met / unlocked, or is he just there for everyone. I did my first evergaeol by summoning wolf guy which was super cool, but I care less about summoning random NPC's.

He's there for everyone but he's an actual minor NPC that you can talk to later on unlike most random Souls summons.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

skasion posted:

Get a no skill shield like the brass shield (dropped by the Godric knights all over Limgrave) and you can use weapon arts in one hand mode as well.

I have Ash of War Barricade on my brass shield.

Are weapon arts just another name for the LT Skill that an Ash of War provides?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Karanas posted:

Btw anyone knows where I can find some cool dex weapons? All I have right now is the flail, uchigatana and rapier for beating Godrick. I'm looking for something with a bit more pizazz, a bit flashier y'know? There's a real lack compared to all the STR/FTH/INT stuff I've found so far.

There’s a twinblade near the start, in the ruins in Lake Agheel, and you can get a really sick curved greatsword from the boss in the evergaol in the southern part of Limgrave. The curved greatsword requires 18 Str but scales more with Dex.

Orv
May 4, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

I have Ash of War Barricade on my brass shield.

Are weapon arts just another name for the LT Skill that an Ash of War provides?

Yeah it's a 3 holdover.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Has anyone gone all in on Arcane? I’m curious to know how that’s working out.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
Speaking of dex, anyone run into ashes of war that do something besides quality or off-physical (magic/arc etc) scaling?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Speaking of dex, anyone run into ashes of war that do something besides quality or off-physical (magic/arc etc) scaling?

Blood Slash can make it a blood weapon. Additional bleed buildup.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

the warmaster sell ashes that will unlock the keen (Dex) scaling.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Valdent posted:

Blood slash is legitimately overpowered and I had to stop myself from using it since my strategy for every fight was devolving into just find opening > blood slash, repeat until dead. It's way the gently caress too good. Goes out really fast, does huge damage of a type that seems very rarely resisted and even does a bit of stagger. Obscene.

Also I found the single most dickish cave to invade in and I'm absolutely going to hell. Stillwater Cave, for any fellow invader buddies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Blood slash is legitimately overpowered and I had to stop myself from using it since my strategy for every fight was devolving into just find opening > blood slash, repeat until dead. It's way the gently caress too good. Goes out really fast, does huge damage of a type that seems very rarely resisted and even does a bit of stagger. Obscene.

Also I found the single most dickish cave to invade in and I'm absolutely going to hell. Stillwater Cave, for any fellow invader buddies.

Trouble is I'm fairly sure the game is balanced around things like Blood Slash in a lot of cases. There's some later bosses that you're not doing meaningful damage to with basic attacks, at least at a +14 weapon like I have.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
wasn't really feeling the game until I got teleported against my will to (later game location spoiler maybe)a crystal cave prison, escaped to find myself in the drat nightmare of mensis more or less

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orv posted:

Trouble is I'm fairly sure the game is balanced around things like Blood Slash in a lot of cases. There's some later bosses that you're not doing meaningful damage to with basic attacks, at least at a +14 weapon like I have.

Have you tried out the elemental greases on these bosses? It feels like this game has gone out of its way, compared to previous Souls game, to vary damage types and resistances.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just completely cheesed the Stormveil Castle boss.

Summoned the Rotten Stray, got him toxic and just stayed away until he died. Godrick didn't even go into his second phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Have you tried out the elemental greases on these bosses? It feels like this game has gone out of its way, compared to previous Souls game, to vary damage types and resistances.

I haven’t done a ton of them because the blood type on my weapon prevents grease/spell buffs. But yeah there’s definitely a lot of bosses that care way more about element types.