Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Vagabong posted:

The Monkey King gets a loading screen blurb that says that Cathayan descriptions of him vary; in the north he's a very angry gorrila, in the east he's a perpetually randy baboon, in the south he's a orangutan swollen with buboes, and in the west he's a tricky spider monkey.

Signs point towards him being a chaos undivided lord.

In his recent interview with (IIRC) Loremaster of Sotek Andy Hall suggested that these are actually The Changeling (a Tzeentch LL) impersonating the actual Monkey King. Appropriate as in the Journey to the West one of the antagonists is a demonic imposter called the Six Eared Macaque who tries to hijack Monkey's chance at enlightenment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah it feels like they're setting up a MK vs Changeling rivalry, which goes perfectly with the Tzeentch vs Cathay conflict.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah and the Changeling is my second choice for who I would want added to Tzeentch. (First is Egrimm van Horstmann.) Though Changeling would work better as a Hero in my opinion, but I thought the same about Deathmaster Snikch and he was a very fun and flavourful lord.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
That's good news, the MK being his own weird mythological thing is a lot cooler than him being just another demon.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

I will never get tired of the Tzeentch basic lord shouting "IT'S ME!" at the top of his lungs every time you click on him.

It's amazing. I also love one of his victory barks. It's just "ha, ha-ha! HAHAHA!" but it's so manic-sounding :allears:

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I finally have had some time to sit down and play and I managed to get a few turns in as Skrag before the god awful pathing in settlements made me swear out-loud. Units dropping orders seems to be a thing again too, despite guard mode being disabled. Now I'm 46 turns into a Tzeench campaign and just really not enjoying this Realms of Chaos garbage at all. It also feels like whoever came up with the stupid port income nerf is now the person designing game 3 economies, everything feels tight in an artificial way.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its, kind of all artificial.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

its, kind of all artificial.

Oh word?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:dogstare:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Whoever designed Tzeentch's realm should be sent there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Whoever designed Tzeentch's realm should be sent there.

Realizing that there are only two decision points in the realm (first island you land on and the topmost island) helped a lot. I wish going through portals didnt end your turn but otherwise I'm getting less crabby about the place. Generally. Still feels bad with the movement limitations and the fact that accidentally pathing through a white space ends your turn even if you didnt stop there.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Really annoyed that you can't be in the same team as a chaos one in the multiplayer campaign. Order or chaos factions only

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Realizing that there are only two decision points in the realm (first island you land on and the topmost island) helped a lot. I wish going through portals didnt end your turn but otherwise I'm getting less crabby about the place. Generally. Still feels bad with the movement limitations and the fact that accidentally pathing through a white space ends your turn even if you didnt stop there.

If you fineness your movement you can generally wiggle around them but anything that’s causing me to reload probably should go away.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

With all the movement shenanigans going on I’ve decided to see if I can keep the game going without participating in the chaos realms by having Skrag hell camp Slaanesh’s realm. I hold off on going in until someone else does and then murder them. Then I farm until there’s like four or five turns to go so they can’t complete. Skrag has claimed his meat heaven and he’s pumping out a fair bit of Slaanesh corruption now I guess kind of like that one neighbor you just know is really into feet

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Onmi posted:

All of this is truly hurt though by the fact that it's a race so you can't just take it at your own pace. But if it wasn't a race you'd have no push to like... ever go to Nurgle or Tzeentch.

You can go at your own pace sort of. The AI isn't perfect in the race and they won't get a soul every time they have the opportunity to. I almost always take a bribe from Slaanesh (I like the +XP Sycophant you can get from the final ring if he offers it) and skip 2-3 more rifts for various reasons and still win pretty comfortably. The AI will EVENTUALLY get all 4 if you leave them alone long enough, but even then it generally seems to take quite a long time, at least on VH. I think it wasn't until turn 200 or so in a campaign when I was trying to paint the map that someone else managed to get all 4.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

"Haven't seen that heraldry before, what province did you hail from again? Interesting cattle you have there."

It has taken Warhammer 3 to have me play Empire past turn 50

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Trujillo posted:

If anyone is interested in trying out the new domination game mode, we're having our first warhammer 3 tournament! It'll start in one week from now and we'll be taking sign ups till then.

It's a casual, domination mode tournament so all skill levels are welcome. If you're interested, we use the "fight night" room of the total goonhammer discord ((https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ)) to organize pvp and tourneys.

The challonge page to register for the tourney: https://challonge.com/TW3ODB

Bumping this for anyone who missed it and wants to sign up for a goon domination mode tournament.

If you want to join but think you'll be too busy, we don't do all our matches at once in the span of a few hours like some warhammer tournaments do. You can schedule your matches with your opponent whenever's most convenient for the both of you, as long as you try to do at least one round a week.

And players of any skill level are welcome!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tried Slaanesh out in a "might not complete this campaign" curiosity. Seems a lot stronger than people give them credit for. Budding a suicide army at the edge of your borders before invading a new province is ridiculously strong and aside from the devotee cost there seems to be no limit to how long they could be a defense force. The better diplomacy options/odds count for a lot in VH too. The WoC to my south took peace and even Skarbrand took peace after I wiped his stack. A corner start is also A+++ VIP quality.

The party rituals are fantastic. This is the same functionality that let me absolutely annihilate a VH Malus win in WH2. Dump money, get Control/Growth? Directly power my economy, control rebellions(yes they're free money, they're also anti-momentum if you're not there to stop them from growing before they successfully siege), frequent availability(pool of 3, 10 turn refresh each), long duration, just costs some money? Easy.

Seduce is obscenely good. Yes it lowers AR which is utterly bizarre. However! I discovered very quickly that even a single Seduce will destroy two units. Often for free(opportunity cost, not seduce cost.) So many starting Khorne armies or garrisons will float 1-3 furies. Seduce one. Fly over and get Charge on the other and kill it. Fly away because lol no ranged, took maybe 10% damage. I can see tons of potential here for any similar caps.. enemy has a single artillery? Those Ogre garrisons with 1x Mournfang cavalry? Seriously, 1-2k a battle to steal their best unit and either use it to beat them or suicide it to destroy it and cripple what it fights is insane. You can Seduce with your Disciple Army as part of a suicide weakening and pluck a unit to throw into a losing fight, especially if they're Daemons and have Banish.

Starting money is tough though that went away when I got peace with WoC/Skarbrand and took the adjacent Nurgle province. I guess the trickiest trap so far has been realizing you should immediately disband the two starter daemonettes you have because 200 upkeep for "a bit better infantry with AP" doesn't jive with a faction with immediate and cheap access to AP cavalry and furies, as well as obscenely fast heroes and a super glass cannon LL so that your hammer is as hammer as hammer can be. My penis. My Slaaneshi penis is violating the enemy front from one end to the other. Also you can get MD 42 holding infantry that have 130ish upkeep. Maybe they're cooler when you get Exalted Daemonettes or more money to burn but I'm treating Slaanesh like Vampire Counts: get in fast, your front is expendable, micro your Lord/Heroes and your hammer as hard as you can.

Got a blue weapon that gives 2 casts of Lashing of Slaanesh per fight. Might not do N'kari's weapon quest battle if I ride this campaign out(knowing birds could be birds at any time.. but what if I speed kill all 3 bird factions and ignore the race?), that's Sword of Torment levels of functionality. Depends on gaps in momentum, teleporting my army out for battles that guarantee I'll need time to recover is a huge momentum ask if done at the wrong time and VH wins benefit a lot from never giving up momentum.

Twigand Berries posted:

With all the movement shenanigans going on I’ve decided to see if I can keep the game going without participating in the chaos realms by having Skrag hell camp Slaanesh’s realm. I hold off on going in until someone else does and then murder them. Then I farm until there’s like four or five turns to go so they can’t complete. Skrag has claimed his meat heaven and he’s pumping out a fair bit of Slaanesh corruption now I guess kind of like that one neighbor you just know is really into feet

You're a genius, thank you for the idea.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 27, 2022

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

Really annoyed that you can't be in the same team as a chaos one in the multiplayer campaign. Order or chaos factions only

It's a bummer, but my and a friends current workaround is to simply have both of us in FFA and then join in on battles as the same team control (or one takes control of the enemy army if we want to shake things up a bit).

Sure we can't reinforce each other, but 'eh. :shobon:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Skarbrand with the Sword of Slaanesh and +ward items and the regen banner doesn't even take damage anymore in my Corn run.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Oh wow I didn't know there were set items now.

Granted the corruption isn't that great, but the axe itself seems like it could be pretty great for a Bloodreaper on a blood throne.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
No, seriously, is there some kind of pathfinding bug in Katarin's item quest battle? No matter what kind of ranged units I bring they inevitably just stop moving/freeze/don't shoot and constantly just blob up on themselves to get murdered by the flamer that shows up.

e: figured it out. Fuckers have skirmish mode turned on for some reason despite me turning it off for everything.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 27, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

No, seriously, is there some kind of pathfinding bug in Katarin's item quest battle? No matter what kind of ranged units I bring they inevitably just stop moving/freeze/don't shoot and constantly just blob up on themselves to get murdered by the flamer that shows up.

e: figured it out. Fuckers have skirmish mode turned on for some reason despite me turning it off for everything.
I think I heard that the quest battle turns it on for you regardless of your settings. Could be wrong though.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Staltran posted:

Oh wow I didn't know there were set items now.

Granted the corruption isn't that great, but the axe itself seems like it could be pretty great for a Bloodreaper on a blood throne.

There are set items on just item drops for other Lords as well.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

I saw Legend randomly have some (but, weirdly, not all) units default to skirmish mode despite it being off in the settings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've had skirmish and guard mode act wonky in quest battles. Also one of the prologue battles, iirc the second scripted one, the units all turned to Small for the battle then went back to Ultra? I avoided watching it prerelease so maybe that is intended, but boy howdy it was strange. That's like the one setting TW will not let you change midcampaign.

The first few up until the siege where you kill the Wolf, actually, me and my partner really thought a serious bug was happening, restarted multiple times, got real confused, till we discovered the obvious: those battles were just defaulting units to skirmish and guard in weird ways. Also Yuri pathfound off into the distance for the wolf battle instead of going into combat, but that's all sieges, I later learned.

e: it would be funny if that was intentional on certain units, like clanrats just turn and run when you try to throw them in to hold something scary. Terrible gameplay, but also great.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 27, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXjinxYbXA

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
There sure are a lot of attrition campaign mechanics (Ursun invocation, Nurgle's entire existence) for a game that makes attrition damage essentially non-existent for the AI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that a difficulty thing? Cos the ursun invocation certainly hurts the AI.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Is that a difficulty thing? Cos the ursun invocation certainly hurts the AI.

It was in 2, I can't find anything solid about whether it's still there in 3. In 2 the AI received -80% attrition on legendary, scaling to -30% on easy so it was practically worthless because even after three turns of attrition they'd be doing fine. This steam page has all the changes in 2 based on difficulty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I did it on hard campaign difficulty they certainly took damage, not world changing but like, absolutely enough to tip the balance in settlement defences and the like. Because besieging doesn't grant you immunity in this one I don't think.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've noticed that the AI really struggles with the Nurgle realm at times but I'm just playing on Normal. Outside of the attrition caused by sieging it never bothers them typically. I usually threw on a mod that removes their attrition resistance in the prior games.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

THE LEGION OF AZGORH. Hell yeah, give it to me, CA. Gimme. Now. Also the big map. But mostly THE HATTED ONES.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Attrition prevents them from replenishment even on VH, at least.

Gonkish posted:

THE LEGION OF AZGORH. Hell yeah, give it to me, CA. Gimme. Now. Also the big map. But mostly THE HATTED ONES.

They're the explicitly non-hatted grimdark forgeworld ones :(

How!
Oct 29, 2009

We’ll I’ve got two Chosen with halberds and a beast of nurgle in my Slaanesh army.

I hated Brettonia unfortunately, and Drycha was fun but pretty 1-dimensional. For some reason I really enjoy Slaanesh. Seeing hordes of daemonettes scamper around is lots of fun.

The fiends of Slaanesh are absolute rockstars too.

I usually walk a line of whip marauders forward with my wizard, and flank with 4 daemonettes with some fiends, and just circle with some snootlers until I see a good opening. Nkari hangs out until he can just run up and kill their lord.

Game good but yeah the chaos rifts opening is just annoying- ruins the whole tempo of the campaign.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Attrition prevents them from replenishment even on VH, at least.

They're the explicitly non-hatted grimdark forgeworld ones :(

The Legion Leaders have the impressive hats. Their rank and file have masks and no hats cause they are penal legions serving as faceless soldiers until they redeem themselves.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can't tell if Little Groms are supposed to be unit-sniping cannon or explosive cannon a la smaller versions of Queen Bess. Any tips on getting good value from them?

On the other hand I can confirm that Gryphon Legion are absolutely acceptable sidegrades to Bear Riders. Slightly cheaper and they mulch armored infantry on the charge. And if you can spare the levels for your inevitable Tempest Maiden, swiftwing is a great combo with them. I'm definitely bringing some for my non-Katarin army, mostly because Katarin doesn't really need an anvil at all and so doesnt really need an anti-infantry hammer.

E: also on hard Ursun's attrition is about the same as the attrition you take when under seige.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 28, 2022

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Yeah, it's hard for me to justify ever running any other invocation other than Ursun, since there's usually 5-6 enemies rampaging through my territory at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Having now beaten the campaign, that ending has the most "That's it?!" energy of any game I've played in a long time. Underwhelming doesn't even begin to cover it. Of course all the quest battles were really awful too, fortunately I was playing Cathay so soul grinders stood no chance against a wall of sentinels. I really love Cathay as a race but I don't think I'll ever touch this campaign without mods again. Overall wh3 is a bunch of qol changes with some really baffling decisions. Super punishing autoresolve if you play on anything over normal, settlement battles, the AI is back to being a chickenshit, those god drat campaigned quest battle slogs. :psyduck: