Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Said gently caress magic, started over. Knowing what I know now, I flew through the start scooping golden seeds and sacred tears, found the Zweihander merchant, slapped BUY on that bad boy, upgraded it to +4, then went to that rune farm spot and got myself to lvl 30. Just about an hour worth of setup and now I can re-clear the castle and get moving again on the story.

Also same merchant that has a Zweihander sells a lantern! It’s a reusable item that latches a tiny lantern to your belt! No need* for the torch in caves!

*torch is still brighter but this is better than no torch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Rotten Red Rod posted:

See, that's what I thought it was, and someone in the official discord said the same. Every article online references a "list", though. They must be all copy-pasting each other.

Yeah Google will basically just return bot centipede sites for any mildly popular game search queries instead of actual results unless you add fextralife or reddit or something. SEO is cool.

Vermain posted:

it was this, yeah. they hosed up something with the input registry so that the option that enabled the game to read double clicks as separate inputs was turned on every time the game started

even in spite of that, i still sincerely appreciate the fact that from put genuine effort into DS2 to provide more options for KB+M players. it still beggars belief that i have to rely on AHK to toggle sprint in elden ring instead of it just being a basic keybind

I actually forgot DS2 had a separate sprint keybind and I played that like half a year ago or less. I'm actually kind of okay holding down space to sprint but I'll probably try AHK to make a separate bind now that you reminded me.

So far the weirdest change from previous games is that the camera pivot point is centered on the character while stationary but moves slightly behind the character when moving. Also that the camera now has some weight/momentum to it when moving quickly. I can't actually think of any third person games that do that. Weird design choice. Edit: Actually it still pivots slightly behind characters in previous games, but it seems like the pivot is a little farther away, possibly just due to the FoV difference.

Cuttlefush fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 27, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
bad news everyone, I actually did find an illusory wall

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are the leveling soft caps still a thing? (40 into a star before it ramps down). Going str/fth but focusing on the str side first.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

incredibly terrifying death cornered by four giant ants

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can you spoiler where the rune farm spot is. Is that the thing where you need some Summons

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

doing a bit of jolly co-op. Seems like I'm getting the "sending co-op sign to summoning pool" a lot; not sure what the deal is with that.

I understand why they don't have physical sign locations anymore -- over such a big game the number of signs in a given area would be teensy weensy after the initial player count drops off. But at the same time, I'm tired of getting summoned to fight the dumb dragon. :argh: Get on a horse you cowards! Even if there's three of us it takes forever to run him down, and all it takes is one bad position for a breath attack and there goes the host.

edit: Oh brother. A host can force you to sit through the intro cutscenes too

Appoda fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 27, 2022

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

AnEdgelord posted:

bad news everyone, I actually did find an illusory wall

yeah, they do in fact exist. and I only found out after ignoring every message pointing to them after 30 fake messages lol

anyone found any mimics? I've pretty much gone full YOLO on just opening chests, wouldn't be surprised if there's like ONLY ONE in the game just as a lil joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

Can you spoiler where the rune farm spot is. Is that the thing where you need some Summons

If you follow D's questline he'll point you to a teleporter that brings you to a much later area. There's a bridge nearby with another bonfire and you can horse farm these little dudes in the area for 1K apiece. I use it to top off after a boss if I don't have enough for my next level.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

The Walrus posted:

hm earlier in the game I found an encampment that I never cleared and now I can't find it. I could swear it was on the weeping peninsula but maybe limgrave? had a whole bunch of dudes, some horse guys around it, and the most notable thing were two sorcerors on opposite examples of those big square structures that are tilted at a diagonal angle into the ground.

i wanna go back and kill everyone somebody remind me where that is..

I just stumbled on this camp, it’s in limgrave directly north of the bridge of sacrifice, and just a little east of the Agheel Lake South site of grace.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

m.hache posted:

Are the leveling soft caps still a thing? (40 into a star before it ramps down). Going str/fth but focusing on the str side first.

Looks like it. The only info I've found on them is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2765060616.

Appoda posted:

doing a bit of jolly co-op. Seems like I'm getting the "sending co-op sign to summoning pool" a lot; not sure what the deal is with that.

I understand why they don't have physical sign locations anymore -- over such a big game the number of signs in a given area would be teensy weensy after the initial player count drops off. But at the same time, I'm tired of getting summoned to fight the dumb dragon. :argh: Get on a horse you cowards! Even if there's three of us it takes forever to run him down, and all it takes is one bad position for a breath attack and there goes the host.

Manually placed summon signs still are a thing. You can place a co-op one with the Tarnished Furled Finger. You have to use a consumable Furlcalling Finger Remedy to actually see the signs yourself though. The Small Golden Effigy places you into the summoning pools, but you can still jolly co-op the old fashioned way.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are Ashes of War the closest thing to infusions this game has? If I understand it correctly, you can use an Ash of War on a weapon (not all ashes work on all weapons) to change it's weapon skill and its affinities. Some of the Ashes of War change the scaling of the weapon (Sacred Blade makes the weapon scale on Faith for example, while also changing the weapon skill to be a sword projectile + damage boost). I'm assuming we'll eventually find Ashes of War that make weapons do +Fire and +Lightning damage and stuff, but is there any way to change the scaling without and Ash of War?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Khanstant posted:

My favourite boss so far has been Night Cavalry. Amazing horseback bossfight, need to go try Tree Sentinel now. Got myself a big swordspear that's perfect on horseback, now working my way up to his sweet flail.

lol I was shocked that dude had an achievement. I've just been circling around going everywhere but where the story wants me, and stumbled into him last night. Went in and got him first try, just died to my hoarfrost-stomps before I even knew his moveset. Summoned myself a few times to help others so I could see what his deal was, I bet he was very scary early on!

You beat night Cavalry first?

Tree sentinels gonna be a bit of a let down then

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
For all the talk about Margit, it's the motherfucker after him that's laid me low some 50+ times and I'm still banging my head against it. The real bitch of it was my very first attempt I got him down to 5%, had full health and 3 flasks left, and I still couldn't close for that final attack or two. Brutal fight, and I've noticed there's a certain attack animation where I can't hit him and my greatsword just whiffs through his body.

I think I just need to grind a bit and up my damage even more, that is not an attrition fight for sure. For a brutal game it's surprisingly paced, tends to be slower and more cerebral, I can almost always blame my deaths on something I did, like mashing buttons which queues up bad moves, or panicking and dodging far too soon.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Said gently caress magic, started over.

I think I'm in the same boat. Just beat Godrick with my pure caster build and......yeah, the posters saying it may have been a bad idea going pure caster were right. There was no way I was going to beat him without player help, and now it's making me think how much harder the other bosses are going to be.

You just don't do enough damage for the FP needed to cast some of these spells. Spamming pebble is fine on lower bosses, but once the big beefy boys start coming out, you just run out of FP. I have no alternative since I've pumped every point into FP/INT

A hybrid build makes a lot more sense, one that focuses on better survival and INT scaling weapons.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

that rune farm spot

the what now

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I was able to one-shot godrick.

Using only bloodhounds fang at + 2, with 20 strength and 18 decks.

I wonder if the ax you get as a result of beating him is any good?.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lih posted:

there's a way to absolve your sins as always

church of vows, east liurnia

:cheers:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think I'm in love with Lhutel the Headless

J
Jun 10, 2001

Any other cleric-ish kinda weapons? Been using a mace, I've seen a morning star and some flails but those require dex and I wasn't exactly planning on putting points into dex on this character. I found a couple other cool faith weapons those energy claw things and the winged scythe , and I might just say gently caress it and put some points into str/dex to use the latter. But I'm wondering what else is out there.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Quick q - if both my weapon and shield have weapon arts, it seems to default to the shield's one. Is there a way to toggle to the weapon's ability without having to put the shield away?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

J posted:

Any other cleric-ish kinda weapons? Been using a mace, I've seen a morning star and some flails but those require dex and I wasn't exactly planning on putting points into dex on this character. I found a couple other cool faith weapons those energy claw things and the winged scythe , and I might just say gently caress it and put some points into str/dex to use the latter. But I'm wondering what else is out there.

First 4 minutes spoiler: That big golden gently caress on the horse drops a Holy Halberd.

The Grumbles posted:

Quick q - if both my weapon and shield have weapon arts, it seems to default to the shield's one. Is there a way to toggle to the weapon's ability without having to put the shield away?

Two hand your weapon or buy and equip the Nothing art on your shield.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

J posted:

you can make a weapon a faith weapon with the right Ash of War

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

doctor iono posted:

anyone found any mimics? I've pretty much gone full YOLO on just opening chests, wouldn't be surprised if there's like ONLY ONE in the game just as a lil joke.

Could be like that ONE forced invasion in the game, just to introduce players to the option that they can invite invaders if they choose.

When I saw that at first I was all "What the gently caress?! I'M OFFLINE.... wait, this thing isn't fighting like a person. Is this an NPC?"

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Speaking of dex, anyone run into ashes of war that do something besides quality or off-physical (magic/arc etc) scaling?

In Stormveil there's a stonesword key door with an "iron whetblade" that lets you choose str, dex, or quality scaling for any ashes. It really opens up ashes when you can pick any one of them and get the right scaling!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
can somebody give me a vague clue where to find the entrance to the stormveil dungeon? feels like i’ve been everywhere (haven’t beaten godrick yet)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Flytrap posted:

Iron Pineapple just released 25 tips and tricks for mechanics.

Horse Iframes are a thing. You cannot be damaged when mounting or dismounting your horse. This changes everything.

Oh huh that shield thing is is very interesting for Guard Counter users. I'm not sure if it's the actual class of shields or the stability stat, but greatshields are much more likely to deflect enemy hits and give you an opening to counter. Makes sense, I was kind of wondering what was up with the relative abundance of early 100% phys medium shields, so I guess that's the advantage to greatshields.

Hahahahahaha and the poison swamp one -- rolling through poison covers your body with it and the meter will build up faster and continue to build when you're out. Guess that's what the soap item is for lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you follow D's questline he'll point you to a teleporter that brings you to a much later area. There's a bridge nearby with another bonfire and you can horse farm these little dudes in the area for 1K apiece. I use it to top off after a boss if I don't have enough for my next level.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Could be like that ONE forced invasion in the game, just to introduce players to the option that they can invite invaders if they choose.

When I saw that at first I was all "What the gently caress?! I'M OFFLINE.... wait, this thing isn't fighting like a person. Is this an NPC?"

There's a lot more NPC red phantoms. I've fought at least 4, but haven't seen a mimic yet.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Where's that spot for infinite smithing stones people were mentioning?

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Said gently caress magic, started over. Knowing what I know now, I flew through the start scooping golden seeds and sacred tears, found the Zweihander merchant, slapped BUY on that bad boy, upgraded it to +4, then went to that rune farm spot and got myself to lvl 30. Just about an hour worth of setup and now I can re-clear the castle and get moving again on the story.

Also same merchant that has a Zweihander sells a lantern! It’s a reusable item that latches a tiny lantern to your belt! No need* for the torch in caves!

*torch is still brighter but this is better than no torch

oh for sure

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any good looking light armour around the starting areas or post Stormveil? Feeling like I've been rags for 20 hours

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a.p. dent posted:

can somebody give me a vague clue where to find the entrance to the stormveil dungeon? feels like i’ve been everywhere (haven’t beaten godrick yet)

Its behind margit, the first boss the game directed you to

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh. my. god. Stumbling upon Siofra River put my jaw on the floor. I haven't felt that sense of wonder, discovery and surprise like that from a game in a very long time. Only thing that's gotten me like that in recent memory was the ending to Outer Wilds.

I imagine that must have been close to what it was like to get into The Great Hollow/Ash Lake unspoiled on your own years ago

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I got a weapon from Rogier! (that's good)

It's a dex weapon. (that's bad)

It's +8! (that's good)

I can't use it. (that's bad)

It came with Art of War: Glintstone Phalanx (that's good!)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Barudak posted:

Its behind margit, the first boss the game directed you to

The castle's actual dungeon? Not the "dungeon" itself. I can't find it either!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

goferchan posted:

The castle's actual dungeon? Not the "dungeon" itself. I can't find it either!

yeah that’s what i mean. i just beat godrick so i’m gonna check after him

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

can you link me to a guide to this? the character you referred to is no longer available to talk to and I want to see if I can find it myself

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

magic is still bad

The HP/FP system doesn't help; not only are you investing stats, but you're also investing large chunks of HP you could be using to not die. There's also no reason to spread out your spells since they all come from the same FP pool.

Honestly I think everything could use a bit of tuning up and made a little more snappy. Not to make things easier, but to make things more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh. my. god. Stumbling upon Siofra River put my jaw on the floor. I haven't felt that sense of wonder, discovery and surprise like that from a game in a very long time. Only thing that's gotten me like that in recent memory was the ending to Outer Wilds.

I imagine that must have been close to what it was like to get into The Great Hollow/Ash Lake unspoiled on your own years ago

I just found this place too, Blackreach vibes all over.