Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I want EU countries to now start sending like 5001 helmets, then 5002 helmets, then 5003, and so on.

4999 helmets, Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sinteres posted:

If the US really thought Putin was inching toward considering nuclear options, the appropriate thing to do would be to de-escalate our involvement in the war, not to escalate our own nuclear preparedness. The US does not think Putin is inching toward considering nuclear options.

Well there are two schools of thought on this. One is: if you back down because he’s convinced you he will use nuclear weapons, you will never be able to stand up to him again, because you will have taught him he can nuclear blackmail anything he wants.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Why are people so convinced Putin is going to launch a nuclear strike over loving Ukraine and sanctions?

Why is everybody so freaked out about the lizardmen launching an orbital bombardment of Europe? There are currently, as far as we know, no signs of the lizardmen preparing an orbital bombardment of Europe. If there will.be signs of the LIZARDMEN BOMBARDING EUROPE FROM ORBIT, it will be announced beforehand. Everybody needs to chill and calm down, a LIZARDMEN BOMBARDMENT OD EUROPE FROM ORBIT would be horrifying, yes, but it's not happening, you hysterical freaks need to calm down

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zhanism posted:

What letting them call their moms that they aren dead?

I assume it's the "showing the footage" part.

E: f,b the thread is fast

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TheRat posted:

Isn't this explicitly a violation of the geneva convention on treatment of prisoners of war?

They can go after those people sharing it once they're done prosecuting Russian leaders for violations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Vahakyla posted:

This is in the "insane" territory if it is true or holds up.

In american dollars, Ukrainian privates have made around 300 monthly, NCOs around 500, and officers 600 and up or so.
This payraise would be a tenfold payraise, making ukrainian soldies upper end of middle class, equivalent to making some 150k a year in the US.

You know what, if my job was to be in an active warzone murdering people with the high chance of being murdered myself I'd want a decent salary.

What I'm saying is, normalise paying soldiers like doctors.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/WendyRogersAZ/status/1497924876480483333

Reminder of who Republicans are cheering for.

(((Zelensky)))

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Loophole to get American boots on the ground lol

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1497987657212874756?s=20&t=FBWse5TGXle0butAGro_tQ

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

TheRat posted:

Isn't this explicitly a violation of the geneva convention on treatment of prisoners of war?

Yes, it's undeniably and clearly a violation of article 13(2).

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

If there's surstromming in those rations then surely we're in war crime territory.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Question is if Ukraine will have the time to use all this gear. Certainly wouldn't want to drive or fly anything with a Russian flag anywhere near Lviv though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I want EU countries to now start sending like 5001 helmets, then 5002 helmets, then 5003, and so on.

Send 5000 helmets labeled "1-4999" and "5001." It will drive Russia crazy if they ever get their hands on them.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This prompted me to check, and DEFCON levels don't appear to be public information at all. Grouchio, please.

They aren’t, though leaks from Barksdale Air Force in Louisiana had US strategic command at DEFCON 3 on Friday.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Invoking God has protected supply lines in the past so

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1497888319920824322

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i get that everyone including myself hopes that putin will be deposed or killed by his own people or a palace coup or something but i also think its very unlikely that this will actually happen and shouldnt be counted on. i keep seeing people posting this or that oligarch protesting but i don't think it means much honestly. putin has embarrassed himself but he can probably keep up the war for a much longer time, i hope the negotiations will be taken seriously with an eye to ending the war sooner

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How do the Ukrainians even manage to keep their people consistently supplied?
I mean it looks like the troops have a random mishmash of NATO kit (good because it’s interchangeable)
But you also have them carrying RPG-7s, captured Russian gear, AKs and AR pattern rifles.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looks like they were copying that American general who, during the Moro rebellion in the Philippines (1899-1913) had Muslim men executed with bullets dipped in pigs blood.

edited to remove incorrect info.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 27, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheRat posted:

Hmm, it's a little bit of a wobbly area. You have the right to be protected from 'public curiosity' (s.13(2)). But you don't have a right to phone home, only to write within one week of being captured. So 'you can make a phone call, but the deal is we get to record you' is probably a legitimate offer you can make. Prisoners are allowed to waive their own rights.

e: I'd draw an analogy with interrogation. Prisoners have the right only to provide identifying information. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to ask them other questions and offer inducements to provide answers.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 27, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Was this the goon squad that the Chechen atrocity guy billed as special forces, who were offering money essentially for Ukranian scalps?

Yes. Note that no-one is particularly afraid of the Chechen forces as line troops. The reason their arrival causes reactions is that they have a reputation of spending the last 20 years raping, pillaging and torturing civilians, and if they had been placed in occupation duty it would likely have gotten very nasty very quickly. Instead, the Russians are sending them into the fray, which honestly works out really well for all involved.

PharmerBoy posted:

I interpreted that post as if you use GPS to know where you are, the US can k ow where you are as well.

GPS does not work like that. The receiver is entirely passive, and just listens to the signals the satellites make. No-one can remotely locate a gps receiver.

US has the ability to mess with the system, with measures ranging from reducing precision to turning it off to spoofing the signals so that locks in some areas will be miscalculated to be at some wrong location. However, this has severe consequences because it would also mess with the normal operation of the system for people on about third of the earth's surface, so it's unlikely they will actually do it.

The comedy option is that Russia is known to jam GPS out of principle in areas they are operating. The soldiers might no have working GPS because Russia is jamming it.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497945813330411527
these brainlets....... what the hell were they thinking

Only exactly what their state propaganda has been feeding them.

Concerned Citizen posted:

No, it is definitely still true. One important aspect is that Ukraine must defend every axis of the attack to prevent a strategic collapse. They aren't. While Russian losses are mounting in Kyiv and Kharkiv, the situation in Mariupol is critical.
I'm honestly assuming that sometime soon they will lose everything east of the Dniepr, including a pretty devastating harassed rout.

The destruction of Ukrainian forces there, the best equipped
That's in no way true anymore. Their forces in the east are equipped with 80's Soviet kit with some modern accroutments. The forces they are raising near Lviv will be fitted with 00's American and European equipment. US is already pulling stuff from the "divisions in a box" stores they have in Germany and shipping it east.

and most experienced in their military,

This is legitimately a loss. If I was them, I'd have already started pulling off experienced officers and NCOs to form the cadre of new formations.

But I don't think you understand the numbers. The army in the east is 60k men strong. They are doing full mobilization, the size of the manpower pool fit for military service is ~7 million. They can afford to be picky, and still raise an army literally larger than all the men in arms that Russia has, just from the western half of the country. Ukraine alone could never do this, because what would they equip them with? But suddenly there is an answer to that question.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 27, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheRat posted:

Russia publicly denies having any casualties or prisoners so showing faces and naming names may be their only chance of raising awareness of their status

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tomn posted:

Assuming the info about where the missile came from is accurate, what the hell's the point? Why bother? What incredibly critical military target is worth wiping your rear end with peace talks before they've even begun in full view of the world? Almost tempted to wonder if this was accurately identified just because it seems so pointless but there's a lot about this war that seems bloody pointless so idk

Peace talks are for domestic audience only, to paint themselves as reasonable. They do not intend to seriously negotiation anything substantially different from the preceding ultimatum.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ZombieLenin posted:

Right. They can still close the straits to non-Black Sea Fleet warships; and furthermore, if the Turks decide that the Black Seas Fleet is in violation of one of the treaties other provisions, for example maximum allowable tonnage for naval fleets by Black Sea states in the Black Sea, they can close the straits legally to warships Russia has anointed part of her Black Seas Fleet.

Edit

They can also close the straits to any ship in the Black Sea Fleet they want if they are not given the statutory eight days notice of passage.

Time to enlarge the Volga-Baltic waterway so that Kuznetsov can pass through.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That is a Friday number, markets are closed over the weekend. On Monday it will correct to include all the sanctions.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What nation will send a 20 foot table to Ukraine so Zelensky can address the long table gap?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

fatherboxx posted:

Russia publicly denies having any casualties or prisoners so showing faces and naming names may be their only chance of raising awareness of their status

That’s not true. https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1497976824747507715?s=21

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

From Twitter pictures & comments shown earlier on the Azov compound got overrun and their leaders had already buggered off to Poland.

That was a Kremlin propagandist next to a painted bus stop. Russian forces are yet to breach Mariupol’, where the battalion is headquartered normally.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Nenonen posted:

It will break down and block it for 6 months.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

It would have to be under tow since it's still under repair from when the drydock fell apart around it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That is a Friday number, markets are closed over the weekend. On Monday it will correct to include all the sanctions.

There's noise in the news about a cash run in Moscow, which could be real bad if it pans out that way.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Hmm, it's a little bit of a wobbly area. You have the right to be protected from 'public curiosity' (s.13(2)). But you don't have a right to phone home, only to write within one week of being captured. So 'you can make a phone call, but the deal is we get to record you' is probably a legitimate offer you can make. Prisoners are allowed to waive their own rights.

e: I'd draw an analogy with interrogation. Prisoners have the right only to provide identifying information. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to ask them other questions and offer inducements to provide answers.

Prisoners of war can not waive any parts of their rights under the Geneva convention, for very obvious reasons like the scenario you just described. That's article 7. Lots of weird posting going on here.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cracking cans of surstromming and lobbing them at the enemy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

How do the Ukrainians even manage to keep their people consistently supplied?
I mean it looks like the troops have a random mishmash of NATO kit (good because it’s interchangeable)
But you also have them carrying RPG-7s, captured Russian gear, AKs and AR pattern rifles.

They have millions of AKs and thousands upon thousands RPGs, and other stuff, as you observe, gets distributed in ad hoc fashion. Their military reform, in progress since 2014, is at about 50% of a NATO spec army.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrYenko posted:

There's noise in the news about a cash run in Moscow, which could be real bad if it pans out that way.

Tinkoff exchange rates internally already are 150/usd and 160/eur, when Friday market rate was 80 and 90 respectively.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1497954962915082247

"I call on all patriotic apes to HODL. The ruble is going to the moon."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

cracking cans of surstromming and lobbing them at the enemy

Are you trying to get us all killed? WMD are a recipe for disaster!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Not a loophole/involvement from the US government, just ex-military private citizens who are traveling to Ukraine to play hero :shrug:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

the popes toes posted:

Lol state TV is prepping domestic audiences for austerity on day 5.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This is fantastic news. United, active exclusion of Russian propaganda and influence systems is a major, long-lasting improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

It very much is going to the Moon, in an algebraic sense.