Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

withoutclass posted:

Yes right. I use Boost for Reddit for example and have never seen this issue. I have a Pixel 6 on the latest patch.

I see it with another third party Reddit app (rif), though I'm wallowing on a Pixel 3. It has seen 2 subsequent updates since the upgrade to 12 and the behavior hasn't been corrected. Either a weird occasional bug or some hosed up A/B test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

withoutclass posted:

Yes right. I use Boost for Reddit for example and have never seen this issue. I have a Pixel 6 on the latest patch.

Huh, weird (and lucky) for you! I use Joey and have to reset the associations every time it updates.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

associations definitely reset for me on the Pixel 6 for Boost for Reddit and Fenix for Twitter, it's annoying as hell.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Welp I'll count myself lucky that I seem to be in the minority. I was surprised to hear y'all were even having a problem with it. Google strikes again!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

hooah posted:

Quoting myself from earlier on this page:

Thank you for pointing this out. I assumed Flamingo was already deprecated and that couldn't be it but it appears to really have been updated frequently in the past few days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Incessant Excess posted:

Thank you for pointing this out. I assumed Flamingo was already deprecated and that couldn't be it but it appears to really have been updated frequently in the past few days.

Yeah, there was a bug where it stopped displaying gifs. Someone mentioned it here or in the apps thread.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Yeah, there was a bug where it stopped displaying gifs. Someone mentioned it here or in the apps thread.

Which is still not fixed for me despite the updates :saddowns:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently google enabled RCS or whatever the gently caress it's called in their latest app but with their track recod I'm not counting on it taking off.

RCS has been a thing for a while now, are you talking about the iMessage reactions?

It sucks, but it's hard to fault Google for apple putting text messaging in their walled garden.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It just kind of pops up naturally, like I'm in a group chat where we all have androids with RCS (not on purpose, just ended up that way) so there's reactions there

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Skeezy posted:

Weird to see that Twitter doesn't play nice with 120hz at all? I'm using Flamingo but I wouldn't be against just using the official app if it didn't stutter or anything.

Edit: Looking into it and it seems like an Android 12 issue because some folks are saying on 11 it wasn't a problem.

It sucks on all phones but seems to depend on your phone model too. The Pixel 6 makes twitter stutter extra bad.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Having a weird issue with Bluetooth on my Pixel 5, wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

When I connect it'll rapidly fluctuate between min and max volume for about 3 seconds and then stay at the volume I had it last set to. Does it regardless of the device (headphones, laptop, audio receiver). Only started a few weeks ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sigh, the ultrasonic sensor on the S22 devices continues to be the big shitstain that's likely going to drive me back to the P6P for a primary device.

I think I've already had more rejections this weekend then my whole time with the P6P so far.

The frustrating thing is the Tab S8 Ultra has an optical sensor and it works a treat. Haven't had a single rejection from it so far. Just bring that to your phones Samsung. Not only would it fix frustrations like this, tempered glass screen protectors would work with it too.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 28, 2022

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sigh, the ultrasonic sensor on the S22 devices continues to be the big shitstain that's likely going to drive me back to the P6P for a primary device.

I think I've already had more rejections this weekend then my whole time with the P6P so far.

The frustrating thing is the Tab S8 Ultra has an optical sensor and it works a treat. Haven't had a single rejection from it so far. Just bring that to your phones Samsung. Not only would it fix frustrations like this, tempered glass screen protectors would work with it too.

I have a tempered glass protector on my S22 and the fingerprint sensor works fine? :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems like half the reviews of any of the tempered glass screen protectors for the S22 series complain about the fingerprint sensor not working anymore. Whitestone dome only has 3/5 stars right now due to that.

I think it just shows how finicky and marginal the untrasonic sensors are.

Since they only work for me about 60% of the time on a good day, I'm not really wanting to degrade that further.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What's the best music player for a pixel 4a? The native one sorts things weird. I'd like to be able to go into folders, play all and organise things etc.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ilmucche posted:

What's the best music player for a pixel 4a? The native one sorts things weird. I'd like to be able to go into folders, play all and organise things etc.

probably Poweramp

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

:stare:

https://twitter.com/oppo/status/1498304483176038402?t=JcSTncjgrq3ADDYTmHaraA&s=19

disaster pastor posted:

I have a tempered glass protector on my S22 and the fingerprint sensor works fine? :shrug:

I've never seen anyone but bull have trouble with ultrasonic, and my job is to listen to hundreds of people complain about their phones daily. Works better than optical for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, there are plenty of threads out there over the years complaining about performance with dry skin. I think most people either setup face unlock or just ignore the fingerprint sensor and just use a pattern/pin. There's a shocking number of people that don't use biometrics on their devices.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't wait for the first one to explode in someone's house

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:stare:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

That's weird because the reviews I read said the fingerprint sensor was excellent. Upgraded haptics too.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Yeah I've found the fingerprint sensor on the saw way better than the P6P.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ultrasonic sensors are great if they work for you.

If they don't, then they don't, hard.

Reviews need to stop speaking in absolutes. The three distinct types of fingerprint sensors all have different overlapping types of skin they work well with. Optical has the most trouble with oily skin or any type of moisture. Ultrasonic falls flat on dry skin. Capacitance seems to have the middle ground pretty well.

If I wash my hands, even once, the ultrasonic sensor stops working for me for about a half hour. It's just the way it is for me. Same is if I'm using my hands for anything other than typing at a keyboard. I can forget about unlocking the device after a shower for a good long while.

Things will get better once it warms up, but in the winter it's a battle.

But then I have ZERO issues with the P6P fingerprint sensor. It just works and has since I got it. I registered fingerprints once (and only one set for each thumb) and it's been off to the races. I've already re-registered my prints about 3 times on the S22 Ultra and have needed to do dual thumb for each hand to get it to work as well as it does.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
That's really weird. I have very dry hands that crack badly in the winter because I work outside a lot, so I use hand lotion often. Helps a lot with fingerprint readers too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I agree it is strange, but after messing with 5 Samsung devices with ultrasonic sensors, it's obviously not an individual device issue.

Tab S8 Ultra? It has an optical sensor and it has worked every time for me so far. Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3, no issues as all with the power button sensor.

It's just as baffling to me that people have issues with the Pixel 6 fingerprint sensor. It was a little slow on release, but it's never been unreliable for me, ever.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 1, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I finally hosed around and joined big phone club. S22 Ultra. So far, so good. I find Samsung's modern UI at least several orders more tolerable than S5-era TouchWiz, and setup has gone pretty much without a hitch. Got my Gboard setup, set my autofill to Google, and it's off to the races logging into all my apps and transferring over my authenticator codes.

Are there any major "drop everything and do this" settings or tweaks I should look into? I guess I'll find my pain points once I start using the phone daily but I feel like I've had to change shockingly little about the factory OS install other than banishing a handful of Samsung apps to a folder in the apps drawer.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

ilmucche posted:

I'm really enjoying blackplayer EX, more so than Poweramp. I am having Google Home / chromecast issues with both though

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

barnold posted:

I finally hosed around and joined big phone club. S22 Ultra. So far, so good. I find Samsung's modern UI at least several orders more tolerable than S5-era TouchWiz, and setup has gone pretty much without a hitch. Got my Gboard setup, set my autofill to Google, and it's off to the races logging into all my apps and transferring over my authenticator codes.

Are there any major "drop everything and do this" settings or tweaks I should look into? I guess I'll find my pain points once I start using the phone daily but I feel like I've had to change shockingly little about the factory OS install other than banishing a handful of Samsung apps to a folder in the apps drawer.

You can hide the apps you don't want instead of having it be a folder.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I did discover that feature, but then I had the thought of "what if I need to use this app for some random poo poo" and so I've kept most (not all) of them in the folder just for now. I bet within a week I'll have hidden a bunch more that I'm absolutely certain I don't want in my app drawer

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

bull3964 posted:

I think it just shows how finicky and marginal the untrasonic sensors are.

I think it must vary even from phone to phone. I had an S21U replaced under warranty for a connectivity issue but I was always frustrated with its fingerprint sensor, it was a huge step back from my 1+ 7 Pro. I registered one finger multiple times, deleted them all and re-registered, it was just finicky as hell. My replacement S21U's fingerprint sensor works perfectly (unless I have a very dirty finger), it's as good as my 7 Pro was. I have to think the quality of the sensor varies.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
This feels like a lot of engineering got into a way worse solution just for the flex of having an inscreen fingerprint scanner, when a capacitive one on the bottom/back/side is entirely sufficient.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The worst thing about streaming culture is there just ain't any focus at all on local media players. I just want a god damned good shuffle function, thats literally it. Instead I regularly hear maybe a couple dozen of my 1400 songs on my commutes to and from work.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is Swappa a reliable source for phones, or is there a better site out there?

Also, how do people approach insurance on phones if they buy them used? Is that a thing?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I've used Swappa a handful of times both buying and selling, it's pretty much the only site I'd use for phones.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
Went to best buy to play with the display models. I've been wanting to upgrade my galaxy s9+ for a while. Between the s22+, s21 fe, a52, and even an iPhone 13 pro max, I left empty handed. I cannot justify such a large chunk of money on any of them. They aren't all that different from my s9. A slightly bigger screen would be neat, and to get rid of my curved edges I guess. It isn't like my s9 is slow or my battery is shot either. Here I'm being a bad consumer!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the pixel 6 has a slightly bigger screen, no curved edges, will get security updates for 5 years and it's $600. alternatively, the 6a should be coming out in a few months and should cost even less

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If the A52 is too expensive than the $600 Pixel doesn't really have a chance.

The thing is though, there are so many deals out there depending on your carrier. The S9+ should be able to be good trade for any number of current gen phones. For example, that would get you a S22+ on T-Mobile for $200 after trade depending on your plan.

But yeah, if you are fine with it then keep it. No shame in that. Three years just tend to be the limit for getting decent trade in value.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
I'm aware of the pixel 6 and I tried playing with it as well. I do personally like the look of Samsung UI and how customizable it is. I also don't care for android 12. But, for $600 the pixel 6 seems like a deal. I looked at what Best Buy would give me for my s9. A whopping $45.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung will give you $275.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is Swappa a reliable source for phones, or is there a better site out there?

Swappa's very good. To post a listing, the seller has to show a photo of the phone with the screen on, and a verification code written on a piece of paper. They're pretty stringent.