Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I mean this game's alright and all but why isn't it like my favorite animes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I beat the boss at the very bottom of the Weeping whatever, but there are still arrows on the map pointing that direction. Do they not go away, or did I miss another boss?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a kitten posted:

Those dudes right at the start have been my main source after i burned through all mine, i kind of just got bored with looking at them though.

Is there any way to increase the block power of 2 handed weapons? Or parry with them for that matter? Bloodborne and Sekiro made me swear off shields, but without BBs rally system or Sekiro's super powerful block, i eat too much damage and then end up chugging all my potions. I should probably look around for a parrying off-hand and get better at switching between 1 and 2 hand modes and also get way better at dodging poo poo if not, and i suspect the answer is indeed "no".

well don't forget that although there's not a rally system per se, clearing out a group of enemies in the overworld will juice all your flasks back to full, so chug away. what counts as an enemy group that'll do that is left to the discretion of the game though

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

well don't forget that although there's not a rally system per se, clearing out a group of enemies in the overworld will juice all your flasks back to full, so chug away. what counts as an enemy group that'll do that is left to the discretion of the game though

That kind of falls apart in the huge dungeons you have to go through though since that’s only an open world thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

blue squares posted:

I beat the boss at the very bottom of the Weeping whatever, but there are still arrows on the map pointing that direction. Do they not go away, or did I miss another boss?

They don't go away

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Washin Tong posted:

Mods please change my username to Hilarioustaka Miserableaka

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What are some really good 10 INT/FTH requirement spells?

I'm completely lost for any way to prevent poison from building up so quickly and raising my immunity stat has no observable effect, so that poison protect spells seems good.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

a kitten posted:

Those dudes right at the start have been my main source after i burned through all mine, i kind of just got bored with looking at them though.

Is there any way to increase the block power of 2 handed weapons? Or parry with them for that matter? Bloodborne and Sekiro made me swear off shields, but without BBs rally system or Sekiro's super powerful block, i eat too much damage and then end up chugging all my potions. I should probably look around for a parrying off-hand and get better at switching between 1 and 2 hand modes and also get way better at dodging poo poo if not, and i suspect the answer is indeed "no".

there's an npc that sells some arts of war and you can stick parry on not just shields but a couple weapon types too. means you won't have an offensive art of war but you can parry two-handed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This funking Siofra river is MASSIVE

And the whole place is UNDERGROUND with huge temples and stuff

Incredible

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Washin Tong posted:

Yeah its weird when people think a game needs flashy combos to have good combat. Eldnen Ring is slow and somewhat simple on purpose, its like a Castlevania

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Karanas posted:

Btw anyone knows where I can find some cool dex weapons? All I have right now is the flail, uchigatana and rapier for beating Godrick. I'm looking for something with a bit more pizazz, a bit flashier y'know? There's a real lack compared to all the STR/FTH/INT stuff I've found so far.

There's a twinblade in a chest underground near the dragon-burnt ruins and a cool jagged dex greatsword from the Bloodhound Evergaol down towards Morn that I've been using loads because the weapon art is sick.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
About your bloodstain not retaining all your souls in Stormveil castle: How did people figure out it was the guy that tells you to use the side entrance that did it? I killed his rear end and now my bloodstains keep all their souls, but I wonder if there was anything that hinted to him being responsible.

Also I found a side path that skips all of Stormveil, and I got a theory that there is a way to finish the game where you don't kill any of the rune bosses. Not gonna do that on my first playthrough though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I accidentally threw myself into the giant hole in the middle of Stormveil Castle and I think I saw beyond the veil and perceived poo poo I shouldn't have. :stare:

I fell a very long way to my death... right next to the giant severed melted head of what I can only describe as a lovecraftian horror.

Out of curiosity where about is this in Stormveil? I wanna see it for myself but I haven't seen any giant pits there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i just noticed that you can see where the map things on the minimap, it's those little things that look like lighthouses

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah 2-h weapon block seems worse than in previous dark souls even. The one upside is the damage can be reduced pretty low if your armor is good, but still nothin compared to your humdrum heater.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Renounced magic update: Zweihander + Jellyfish pal made short work of Margit. Literally killed it on my first* attempt. Poise/guard counters are incredible.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

hatty posted:

Yeah its weird when people think a game needs flashy combos to have good combat. Eldnen Ring is slow and somewhat simple on purpose, its like a Castlevania

For context, dude was salty as hell about not being able to beat Crucible K***ht and was probably just venting (in an admittedly embarrassing way). Still Hilarioustaka.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 27, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity where about is this in Stormveil? I wanna see it for myself but I haven't seen any giant pits there.

Both of you look around for an area you can jump to. Should be player signs to point you on the right path.

I think it starts near the scarab

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Renounced magic update: Zweihander + Jellyfish pal made short work of Margit. Literally killed it on my first* attempt. Poise/guard counters are incredible.

i will only use triple sifs, gently caress you if you disagree

are the ones that cost more fp worth it? the ones that require ghostwort

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Has anyone had any real luck with magic? Are there some bitchin' rad spells to look forward to? Would an STR/INT build work?

What is arcane, and does it affect any spells or just item discovery?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Has anyone had any real luck with magic? Are there some bitchin' rad spells to look forward to? Would an STR/INT build work?

There are some incantations (formerly known as miracles) that require Arcane and things that are related to blood magic and dragon magic tend to scale with Arcane as well.

Dex/Int is probably a better combo than Str/Int, just looking at the weapons that are available, though there is a Moonlight Greatsword again, though its name is different than usual.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

My str int build is decent, but fairly basic. Cutter, pebble and magic weapon have basically been all I need. I unlocked some bubble spells that need arcane and a crystal burst spell that sucks.

It’s humble but it works for me.

Arcane is item discovery but some ashes and weapons use it to scale. They seem to be focused on any weapon with some form of status like bleed.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I haven't leveled up any of my summons yet because I'm totally torn on which are good and the graveblossoms seem pretty limited.

I have:
the Headless
the storm bird
the jellyfish
wolves
noble sorcerer
godrick soldiers
fanged imps
idiot pack of wandering nobles

other ones I know of that I should probably get just to pokemon collect them all:
Oleg at the bottom of stranded grave (but that boss fight is a loving nightmare)
glintstone sorcerer

Out of the ones I have, the Headless seems the obvious choice, but he actually hasn't been that great in boss fights since he's not very aggressive.

For anyone who uses a lot of summons, which ones did you level up, and how much do you have in the way of summon level up materials mid game? Have you found enough to level up a few of them?

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

TeaJay posted:

This funking Siofra river is MASSIVE

And the whole place is UNDERGROUND with huge temples and stuff

Incredible

I audibly said "holy loving poo poo" when I first got there.

Am I alone in having found Godrick way easier than Margit? The former was just way easier to learn imo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Major spoilers in regards to the friendly npc at the start of stormveil castle: I am pretty sure I fought and killed him inside the outer ring of the leyndell city walls, in the battleground area. But like, it felt kind of out of nowhere. Did I miss a quest with him somewhere? Last time I saw him he was stamping on godricks head.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My str int build is decent, but fairly basic. Cutter, pebble and magic weapon have basically been all I need. I unlocked some bubble spells that need arcane and a crystal burst spell that sucks.

It’s humble but it works for me.

Arcane is item discovery but some ashes and weapons use it to scale. They seem to be focused on any weapon with some form of status like bleed.

I'm pretty much pure int/mind with just enough str and endurance to equip a 100% physical shield and take a hit or two. I've got the meteorite staff, and so far pebble, big glintstone shard, and glintstone stars have been my go-to loadout. Pebble just continues to be great since its fast and does more damage if you chain it, big glintstone is good for doing a lot of damage quickly (like burning down a second phase boss), and stars is good for enemies/bosses that dodge a lot. I'm not super deep in yet, just past Margit and Godrick, although I've done a lot of general map exploring.

I should go buy magic weapon, I keep thinking "that's probably useful, I should teleport over and grab it," and then I get distracted by the next shiny thing on the horizon.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Do the ash summons fall off in power as you progress, or do they stay fairly powerful and useful?

So far I've found having a summon there to distract bosses makes them a lot easier, so I've been inclined not to use them because I like the process of learning how to respond to a boss' attacks and poo poo*. But the summons are also really cool so I'm conflicted on that.

*(this is a personal preference, not looking to start a slapfight about whether players should feel obliged to handicap themselves or seek out more difficulty in order to "properly" enjoy this game or whatever)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I audibly said "holy loving poo poo" when I first got there.

Am I alone in having found Godrick way easier than Margit? The former was just way easier to learn imo.

The summons for the first guy made him pretty easy for me, cause he would get staggered. The 2nd guy had a lot more aoe and would take out my summons easily and quickly.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Do the ash summons fall off in power as you progress, or do they stay fairly powerful and useful?

So far I've found having a summon there to distract bosses makes them a lot easier, so I'vr been inclined not to use them because I like the process of learning how to respond to a boss' attacks and poo poo*. But the summons are also really cool so I'm conflicted on that.

*(this is a personal preference, not looking to start a slapfight about whether players should feel obliged to handicap themselves or seek out more difficulty in order to "properly" enjoy this game or whatever)

You can upgrade them, but idk if npcs have ever been that good vs late game bosses. The best part about them is making outdoor mass encounters easier by distracting enemies.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
What level are you meant to get the moonlight greatsword equivalent? I stuck into the lake area without dealing with Godrick and am making my way to where you get the quest.

I'm just curious if this is a level 80 thing that I should just do when I get to it, or is it something I could pull off around 40.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just realized I can charge up my fireball incantation :o

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. 40 hours into the game i actually found a real hidden wall

..... Back to slashing at everything in the vicinity of a 'hidden path' message

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

what shield?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Willfrey posted:

Why did you tell me this? I've given up hope that hidden walls exist in this game.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

what shield?

100% block + the highest stability you can manage.

The higher the stability the less it chunks your stamina, and the more likely it will make the attack 'bounce'

With my great shield there are some smaller enemies that actually fall over when they hit it kinda funny

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Willfrey posted:

Please, tell us. Was it a "hit with weapon" hidden wall, or "press use button" hidden wall?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

what shield?

Gear is whatever the class started with. Heater Shield right now. Plan is to find me a bigger shield and pump End back to mid roll before using.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

Please, tell us. Was it a "hit with weapon" hidden wall, or "press use button" hidden wall?

hit with weapon.

It was in a catacomb minidungeon east of the academy. pretty frikkin obvious though

I left a "No hidden path ahead" message :)

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 27, 2022

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Misbegotten warrior and crucible knight is everything I loathe in a boss fight. Two bosses, hyper aggressive, lovely arena with a million things to get stuck on. gently caress this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Chomposaur posted:

In Stormveil there's a stonesword key door with an "iron whetblade" that lets you choose str, dex, or quality scaling for any ashes. It really opens up ashes when you can pick any one of them and get the right scaling!

Oh poo poo, I got that! Do I need some weird NPC, or do I just fiddle in the menus? That'll be nice to not do asscheeks scaling anymore.