Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlotte Hornets posted:

https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1497987528158322689

Some old man civilian throwing punches at a Russian soldier

It’s a cultural thing here, veteran grandpas frequently work as security guard for low impact facilities like condo buildings or parking lots. Narrator says the grandpa is a local community guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Even the Swiss are sufficiently pissed to forgo a little skimming:

https://twitter.com/Financialjuice1/status/1498008735352070144?cxt=HHwWgIC90cHA_8kpAAAA

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s a cultural thing here, veteran grandpas frequently work as security guard for low impact facilities like condo buildings or parking lots. Narrator says the grandpa is a local community guard.

Martin did that in late season Frasier and it wasn’t very good. I think they expected to get better plots out of it.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498011610148859904?s=20&t=x60uKneme0DZdto_x-PfKQ

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

cochise posted:

Now this is some cool poo poo to see. Taking out a noted number station to troll anyone listening is simply amazing.

They haven't taken it out, they're just blasting over the same frequency. You can stil hear the buzzer in the background. I just checked it out and they're playing two tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood lol.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Ukrainian mechanic in Mallorca, a popular vacation spot off the Mediterranean coast of Spain, tried to sink a Russian oligarch's yacht.

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1498011137996173313?s=20&t=XS7hEaHiwgbTzlkt21wYDA

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/liz_cookman/status/1498005055613685762

Mariupol reportedly now encircled.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Situation in Kiev sounds like it will get pretty bleak very quickly now they are surrounded. Already talk of food shortages so I wonder how long they can realistically hold out.

Far from being a cheerleader for warcrimes committed against civilians, world opinion is not going to look fondly on Putin trying to starve an entire loving city. This isn't the 1940s; There is a camera in every pocket.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Majorian posted:

It's a nice gesture, and I hope it happens. But of course we'll have to see if Germany, France, or any other country vetoes their accession.

Yeah I'll not clap before it happens.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

SourKraut posted:

One thing interesting in those videos is the GPS "No Position" flashing - I guess that means the US did probably disable it?

It probably means the GPS data has been disabled for this video. In the olden times you’d have to blur the data, now you can export the video without the data.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

it was one of the reasons peak freeze was something people kept talking about earlier. If it’s true Biden leaking Russian plans delayed the invasion (pure speculation) it may have been one of the consequential things for the war
Yet another parallel with the Winter War: choosing a really bad time of year to invade that results in forces getting stuck all over the place.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

gvibes posted:

Wait wait wait, the mayor is the boxer? Owns

Not just a boxer but at one point was a champion boxer, like literally top one or two in the world.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SourKraut posted:

One thing interesting in those videos is the GPS "No Position" flashing - I guess that means the US did probably disable it?

We have OSINT on Russian military GPS jammer deployments in the theatre.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It's going to be a very interesting Monday.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kaddish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rBUvWKSZw

I've been following YouTuber bald and bankrupt for a while now. He's just a guy that speaks several languages, including Russian etc, and vlogs around Eastern Europe and beyond. This was from the day before invasion.

There’s another YouTuber Johnny from Kiev and Bold stayed with him after this video was made. He was still there as of two days ago.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is the part in Civilization where everyone else denounces you and you get the warmonger diplomacy penalty.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Far from being a cheerleader for warcrimes committed against civilians, world opinion is not going to look fondly on Putin trying to starve an entire loving city. This isn't the 1940s; There is a camera in every pocket.

My history is a bit rusty, but the world didn't look particularly fondly on the stuff that happened in the 1940s either as I recall.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TheRat posted:

Yeah I'll not clap before it happens.

This is the sort of thing that timorous diplomacy usually avoids. "Won't this embolden Putin? Doesn't this justify his encirclement rhetoric?" I'm more surprised by Ursula's statement than if she said, "Gazprom, more like Azzprom. Amirite?"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I remember someone posting on here earlier that Russian armor had to stay on the roads because they'll immediately sink into the mud at this time of year.

https://twitter.com/PJFXMooney/status/1497984826145751045

Yep. Even if conditions are ideal if you're moving a great distance offroad, you're going to hit some tricky terrain. You get stuck in a tank - well the only thing getting you unstuck is another tank or recovery vehicle. So now you've got at least 2 tanks tied up for half an hour burning a bunch of extra gas getting said tank unstuck... and when they're done you run into the next problem. Those two vehicles are either alone in what was enemy territory half an hour ago (and still might be now!), half an hour behind your other tanks, or you just held up part of your advance to get the tank free so everything arrives half an hour late. Things get complicated, additional coordination needs to be done, stuff gets slowed down. And then you're following those tanks with fuel and ammunition... on wheeled trucks which themselves will get stuck even easier and may have to detour from the route the tanks took because they can't manage the difficult terrain - e.g. through areas the tanks never ensured are safe.

Oh, and if you're racing your tanks around at high speed through the countryside like you see in youtube videos you're gonna get a lot of tanks stuck or damaged. So no blitzkrieg "Kiev in 2 days" timetables.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 27, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

fatherboxx posted:

I have a question about Bayraktars - how soon do people on the ground can react to it approaching?

I'm by no means an expert, but my guess would be that the first thing they'd hear would be the missile coming towards them, which would not give them very much time to react at all. Those things are small and engaging from quite far away - likely visible if you're looking closely, but not at night, and likely inaudible over your truck engine.

I'm more curious about why it wasn't picked up on radar by air / anti-air.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
https://twitter.com/liz_cookman/status/1498005055613685762

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1498005454202544132

Unfortunate, there's probably nothing worse for civilians in a war than a siege

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Still can't load Moscow stock market site.
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498013686220263427?s=20&t=x60uKneme0DZdto_x-PfKQ

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I guess it's totally impossible that OPEC might take action against Russia as well?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Boat Stuck posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1498005454202544132

Unfortunate, there's probably nothing worse for civilians in a war than a siege

If he said it was now impossible to evacuate civilians because the city was surrounded, I gotta assume that's literal. Would be an odd figure of speech.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Protests erupting in Minsk today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0rgg-UjYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy7nTIu_PwU

Lukashenko was only saved from being deposed last year thanks to Russian intervention. I wonder if he'll be so lucky if Putin's attention is focused elsewhere for any length of time.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sounds pretty bad. I think Russia can still important off-the-shelf stuff through middlemen in other countries like China (but at a huge markup), so it's not like they won't be able to buy office computers. But losing access to custom developed asic stuff is huge. It's going to be very hard to impossible to replace these components in production.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Incidentally my workplace has some Russian contractors that do some pretty important backend work. I wonder with these sanctions if they'll even be able to stay hired or get paid.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah and there has been a lot of talk of the Russians trying to cut off power as well.

On the flipside, this is a real case of "how could Russia possibly make the optics worse?"

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I guess it's totally impossible that OPEC might take action against Russia as well?

What do you mean? What action? Russia is an OPEC export competitor, not a net importer.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm not sure what OPEC could even do. Russia isn't a member. It would be hard to keep Russian oil off the market completely.

I guess OPEC could just pump more oil and force the price to drop, depriving Russia of revenues - but that's about it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Probably. Saudi Arabia has been...less than helpful during this crisis:

quote:

AS RUSSIA ORDERED troops into Ukraine on Monday, gas prices soared to their highest levels in over seven years. While the media focuses on the conflict in Ukraine, a major cause of the gas price spike has gone overlooked: Moscow’s partnership with Saudi Arabia has grown dramatically in recent years, granting the two largest oil producers in the world the unprecedented ability to collude in oil export decisions. The desert kingdom’s relationship with the U.S. has chilled in the meantime, as demonstrated earlier this month, when President Joe Biden pleaded with the Saudis to increase oil production — a move that would not only have helped to alleviate rising inflation and gas prices, but also reduced Russia’s extravagant profits amid its aggression against Ukraine. The Saudi king declined.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Incidentally my workplace has some Russian contractors that do some pretty important backend work. I wonder with these sanctions if they'll even be able to stay hired or get paid.

Same, I wonder my colleagues from Russia will be able to get paid, since iirc our docs they get paid directly from Bank of America account of my employer

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

re: the second tweet, I assume the encirclement is still at a fairly loose stage. There's no signs that the eastern or southern offensives have managed to sprint the gap to hit Kyiv from a different direction, but there doesn't seem to be much stopping the northern assault from circling around itself (and there have been reports on the ground that it was definitely working its way south.) They may or may not have the manpower to completely encircle Kyiv, but if Kyiv doesn't have the forces to break out effectively (it almost certainly doesn't) then it doesn't take much. Especially since the eastern approaches aren't going to be terribly useful since they just funnel back towards the fighting in the east, so even if they don't have them completely blocked it's functionally encircled for most purposes.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not sure what OPEC could even do. Russia isn't a member. It would be hard to keep Russian oil off the market completely.

I guess OPEC could just pump more oil and force the price to drop, depriving Russia of revenues - but that's about it.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about that. The UAE abstained instead of voting against Russia.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Sounds like this is the big push

https://twitter.com/humeyra_pamuk/status/1498014741536641029?s=20&t=emXbpO2M0be6HY4xiGvjxg

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Imagine decades of getting into bed with the Saudis not paying off when you need them...

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Should you cross post this to the doomsday econ thread for all those goons buying iraqi dinar?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah and there has been a lot of talk of the Russians trying to cut off power as well.

On the flipside, this is a real case of "how could Russia possibly make the optics worse?"

That's really the threat here. There's been a huge and robust response from the west that no one anticipated. No Fly Zone talk is on the fringe, but the 24 hour news cycle may not be able to endure a multiweek siege of a major European city, with the residents smuggling out tiktok videos as they starve to death amid daily artillery bombardments.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

This was what I was thinking, KSA could up production but they seem content to ride the price up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Morrow posted:

No Fly Zone talk is on the fringe

No, it really isn't. No Fly Zone is equivalent to full scale war between NATO and Russia. It's not a thing.