Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

the popes toes posted:

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1497954962915082247

"I call on all patriotic apes to HODL. The ruble is going to the moon."

Possible minimal land gain and a retreat to North Korea levels of isolation and pariah status.

The Afghanistan withdrawal was messy, but history books are going to mark this as the largest Imperial loss of the first half of the century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
After the story from 2 days ago about suburban gopniks in Kyiv shaking someone down for his AA vehicle, this video supposedly shows some rural lads nicking some more Z marked equipment:

https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1498020061398847495

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

They are too far away from population centers for district heating (and good luck selling that to the German populace), and millions of homes are set up with gas heating. Those need to be changed soon (to something heatpump-ish), but they aren't now. And good luck trying to get boomers who own all the property to change anything.

Plus, trying to do anything nuclear is both extremely unpopular, the companies involved don't want them, they are extremely expensive, and Germany can't produce any fuel.

The best they could do is run the few reactors even longer, but they are EOL.

It's a pipe dream, and a dumb one at that.

Electric heating devices are incredibly cheap and doesn't require a lot of work to install.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Red posted:

Seeing long convoy lines like this make me wish the US had sold Ukraine a few thousand A-10s.

I don't think the a10 can do well in contested airspace.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Charliegrs posted:

Are they falling out of the sky or just deploying flares?

You see flares in this but there is a longer video with two clear hits.

idk how kofman can id them tho

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

DoLittle posted:

In Finland we use electricity (nuclear and other) to run heatpumps to heat homes. More expensive than direct electricity but not inefficient. Would work even better in warmer climates.

Oh yeah heatpumps are even better, I just meant that pulling a few nuclear reactors out of mothballs and giving everyone a few 50 euro electric baseboard heaters is a very achievable response to an energy crisis. Electricity can become heat with very cheap equipment.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Franks Happy Place posted:

Yeah I was going to say, all I see there is evidence that some poor Ukrainian drone operator is going to get carpal tunnel syndrome tonight.

Nah he's probably got women lining up to help with that.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

biglads posted:

Can't have some sort of european aggro without the balkans, it wouldn't be right.

I took a quick scan of several Serbian media sources after seeing this and it’s loving bad.

They’re going into full overdrive about how western media is painting Russia as the bad guy and how this is a western imperialist plot. Looks like Russia has completely co-opted everything.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Not going to happen.

Lindner also called renewables "Freedom Energy" a few hours ago.

And nuclear reactors don't heat homes.

Not only do they heat homes, heat pumps are an extremely efficient way to do it, and are increasingly common in Europe, especially the Nordics. About 3x as efficient as resistance heaters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah I don't understand. Here the temps are worst than in germany and I think most heating is from electricity provided by dams.

I guess to him the idea of electricity heating homes is as odd and alien to him, as the idea of piping gas via lines into houses is to me, or having a stove (indoors!) that literally uses flames for cooking.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a hard time imagining what an off ramp for Putin even looks like at this point. No such thing as a "strongman" with a fuckup weak army.

he's diminished but he'll probably hold on to power if he gets some kind of symbolic victory, like something that effectively restores the status quo ante but lets him pretend that he protected the donbas at home, or something like that. i think it's dangerous at this point for him to have no way out at all

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Kraftwerk posted:

I took a quick scan of several Serbian media sources after seeing this and it’s loving bad.

They’re going into full overdrive about how western media is painting Russia as the bad guy and how this is a western imperialist plot. Looks like Russia has completely co-opted everything.

It'll be the same in the RS part of BiH too I expect.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

or having a stove (indoors!) that literally uses flames for cooking.

Induction 4 lyfe

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Red posted:

Seeing long convoy lines like this make me wish the US had sold Ukraine a few thousand A-10s.

The Su-24's Ukraine (supposedly) still has would be a better option, dropping a string of bombs down that highway would be catastrophic. 300mm rocket artillery doing a rolling barrage down the road would probably do the trick, too.

Stuff like that might not be an option right now, though.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498029493033881601

I did not expect that.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah I don't understand. Here the temps are worst than in germany and I think most heating is from electricity provided by dams.

Switching from gas to electric or district heating requires breaking up almost every municipal road in the country at a total cost of around 15k per household.
It's possible sure, but it will take 20 years or so and an insane amount of money.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Antigravitas posted:

They are too far away from population centers for district heating (and good luck selling that to the German populace), and millions of homes are set up with gas heating. Those need to be changed soon (to something heatpump-ish), but they aren't now. And good luck trying to get boomers who own all the property to change anything.

Plus, trying to do anything nuclear is both extremely unpopular, the companies involved don't want them, they are extremely expensive, and Germany can't produce any fuel.

The best they could do is run the few reactors even longer, but they are EOL.

It's a pipe dream, and a dumb one at that.

I'm not saying the switch is realistic, but here in Quebec the electricity is produced in dams that are extremely far away from any urban center and used to heat homes. The biggest ones are a 1500km 16 hour drive away from my place for example.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Huh!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

surf rock posted:

I did not expect that.

Will they provide trained pilots too?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

you feelin fucky posted:

Switching from gas to electric or district heating requires breaking up almost every municipal road in the country at a total cost of around 15k per household.
It's possible sure, but it will take 20 years or so and an insane amount of money.

You don't need to rip up the gas pipes to stop using gas.

TheRat posted:

That would be a very Russian way to do it ala Korea and Vietnam.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

I don’t want to be a Clancy poster but this seems a bridge too far (in my estimation). I never understood how supplying weapons was a-okay, I don’t understand how this won’t escalate things

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

you feelin fucky posted:

What on earth are you talking about?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

distortion park posted:

Not only do they heat homes, heat pumps are an extremely efficient way to do it, and are increasingly common in Europe, especially the Nordics. About 3x as efficient as resistance heaters.

That`s mostly correct, but you need to take into account that they work by making the outside of the building colder, which means that their efficiency drops off dramatically with temperature. Not sure about the latest models, but the general rule of thumb is that they are only worthwhile when the temperature is above -15C.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

KingColliwog posted:

I'm not saying the switch is realistic, but here in Quebec the electricity is produced in dams that are extremely far away from any urban center and used to heat homes. The biggest ones are a 1500km 16 hour drive away from my place for example.

Please do not tell Europeans about Quebec's hydro dams, when they find out y'all dammed and flooded an area the size of France it just absolutely shorts them out :wink:

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

they can... if somehow 150+ milion apartments/houses in EU magically switch from gas to electric heating and the whole energy infrastructure is rebuilt to handle the increased loads.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

you feelin fucky posted:

Why do you have to do that? Surely Germans already have access to electricity in their homes?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Yesterday I posted an absolutely bug gently caress op ed from the Russian state media site - on the topic of "The Ukranian Question". Looks like there have been a few developments around the article since then

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498026277881540610?t=DVNGj00mMLncLknMeARFVw&s=19
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498029060085075969?t=44ECP6yKoVm8Zl-CjUUhZw&s=19

Here's a link to the archived version if you haven't read it.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

https://twitter.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1498027274683174913

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

What? What kind? Who is going to fly them?

"I know you liked your Mig, but hop in this here F-16, see how it feels for you."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

some kinda jackal posted:

Dumb question apropos of nothing other than the “flight turned around lol” I suppose..

Are nations running expat/nationals repatriation flights from Russia right now? With the cut off of airspace to Russian flights is this a “go talk to your embassy” thing?
The US Embassy in Kiev is mostly evacuated. They're asking Americans still in country to fill out a web form so they're in touch. They're also giving advice on which border crossings are safe(r). https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/information-for-us-citizens-in-Ukraine.html

So, yeah, airlifts so not happening. American citizens were told two weeks ago to get out. Anybody left is going to have to make their own way out.

https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKyiv/status/1497920708894240770

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheRat posted:

As long as they can speak Ukrainian it could happen like in Korea!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Aramis posted:

That`s mostly correct, but you need to take into account that they work by making the outside of the building colder, which means that their efficiency drops off dramatically with temperature. Not sure about the latest models, but the general rule of thumb is that they are only worthwhile when the temperature is above -15C.

Getting below or even near that is going to be rare for Germany.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hoooooo boy, hoooo hooo boy

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I knew that centralised heating for multiple buildings was a thing but I didn't know it was so widespread, here's an interesting page with a broad summary if anybody is curious

https://www.vaillant.de/heizung/heizung-verstehen/tipps-rund-um-ihre-heizung/fernwaerme/

Pretty cool

boofhead fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 27, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Getting below or even near that is going to be rare for Germany.

My heatpump worked just fine in -15c a few winters ago

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Im gonna need info on the fighter jet thing because that's a big deal and as previously discussed pretty complicated to actually do.

Like how do you even do the hand over.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

KingColliwog posted:

Canada is not Europe. There are vanishingly few places in Europe that are "extremely far away from any urban center".

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

All I can hear is the start of the Jackass theme when I watch this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a podcast for cats posted:

After the story from 2 days ago about suburban gopniks in Kyiv shaking someone down for his AA vehicle, this video supposedly shows some rural lads nicking some more Z marked equipment:

https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1498020061398847495

This is like one of those old "Meanwhile in Ukraine" memes from a decade ago except happening during wartime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Warbadger posted:

The Su-24's Ukraine (supposedly) still has would be a better option, dropping a string of bombs down that highway would be catastrophic. 300mm rocket artillery doing a rolling barrage down the road would probably do the trick, too.

Stuff like that might not be an option right now, though.

Wouldn't they utilize some sort of distraction to occupy the Russian air force for such a strike, like the electric rabbit for greyhounds?