Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pseudorandom name posted:

When I was a boy we charged our RC cars for 4 hours and then played with them for 15 minutes, as was the style at the time.

I remember doing this, lmao, however I do this now with my drone now that I think about it, but the batteries charge faster than 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

I remember doing this, lmao, however I do this now with my drone now that I think about it, but the batteries charge faster than 4 hours.

It’s also pretty “cheap” to get multiple batteries l.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

e.pilot posted:

lol the game gear was just a battery powered master system

I preferred to think of it as a "Master System with a built-in screen", with the assumption that you gotta keep it plugged in :shrug:

Good thing I only had like six games for it, because there's no way any more would fit in that little fanny pack-sized carrying case with that brick of an AC adapter.

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

Timby posted:

Six AA batteries in the Nomad got you about two hours. A little more if you were really lucky.

Brutal. I wonder if you'd get a better ROI on shoveling quarters into an arcade machine. Probably plenty of games from that era that you couldn't beat in that timeframe that you also couldn't save.

Still, the Nomad will always have a special place in my heart for having video out and a player 2 controller port. Really weird handheld.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Pikhezu posted:

Brutal. I wonder if you'd get a better ROI on shoveling quarters into an arcade machine. Probably plenty of games from that era that you couldn't beat in that timeframe that you also couldn't save.

Still, the Nomad will always have a special place in my heart for having video out and a player 2 controller port. Really weird handheld.

I remember when I was a kid and thinking "if I save my allowance, and sell my Genesis, I could get a Genesis I could both play on my TV *and* take along on family trips!"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Timby posted:

Sega sold a rechargeable battery pack for the Nomad that boosted the battery life from two hours to all of, like, 3.5. And the internal batteries started losing their charge capacity after a few dozen discharge / charge cycles.

MarcusSA posted:

Let me tell you about rechargeable battery tech from back in the day.

Yeah it wasn’t good.

"Ahead of their time" describes Sega perfectly.

So many incredible products where the technology and infrastructure just wasn't there yet.

A Nomad with a working internal battery and continued Sega support on the Genesis line could have been a monster and help build up Sega's reserves the same way the Gameboy did for Nintendo during that time period.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s also pretty “cheap” to get multiple batteries l.

Wasn't it like $10 (adjusted for inflation) for a pack of six batteries back then? It would blow my mind to spend a Hulu subscription for each time I charge up my Switch.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

In high school I saved up and bought a Game Gear, Sonic 2, and Mortal Kombat 2 back in the day. Knowing it's appetite for batteries, when it came time for a trip I bought a 12v adapter. Luckily it was that translucent plastic which was en vogue at the time, because when I tried it out it almost immediately caught fire inside! My dad returned it and the replacement caught fire as well. After that my dad just gave me a big pile of batteries for the trip. I don't remember actually playing it on the trip.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Audax posted:

Just offloaded $200 of lovely CSGO skins. Guess my purchase is 30% funded. Now i gotta decide which of my nice skins are gonna go, since one of them will pretty much cover the remaining cost.

Anyways i can't wait.

My Steam deck purchase is 95% funded.

I used an external inventory valuation site (csgobackpack.net) for the inventory value. I know that the market on stuff has changed since 2.5 weeks ago, but it just feels great not having to spend any money to get this. I mean, technically I have been spending money on cases & skins for 8 years, but this was a relatively good resolution to me feeling bad about how much I plunked down over the years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Audax posted:

My Steam deck purchase is 95% funded.

I used an external inventory valuation site (csgobackpack.net) for the inventory value. I know that the market on stuff has changed since 2.5 weeks ago, but it just feels great not having to spend any money to get this. I mean, technically I have been spending money on cases & skins for 8 years, but this was a relatively good resolution to me feeling bad about how much I plunked down over the years.

This is pretty awesome.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it wasn’t good.

I burned out three of these fuckers in two years, and they cost as much as a game :argh:

What's more, GB power cable just sticks out the side, so it easily pops out but doesn't automatically switch over to battery power, your Gameboy just shuts off.
Congrats, you've lost all your progress in a game without passwords or battery.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Coffee Jones posted:

I burned out three of these fuckers in two years, and they cost as much as a game :argh:

What's more, GB power cable just sticks out the side, so it easily pops out but doesn't automatically switch over to battery power, your Gameboy just shuts off.
Congrats, you've lost all your progress in a game without passwords or battery.

christ I forgot all about that thing, I had one, it has a belt clip

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Oh that thing. It's the one original GB item I definitely don't have anymore because I probably tossed it after a year. And it probably used cadmium cells so tossing it was bad too.

I recall it didn't use a wall wart but had an IEC C8(ish?) connector, meaning it was AC and included the charging supply in the battery. So it wasn't even "all battery".

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My cousin had a gamegear back in the day. I remember him playing it for a few days after he got it, occasionally whipping it out when we were at our grandparents, and then again when he got the TV tuner thing a year after.

Don't think he played it a whole lot after that. I remember batteries being really expensive back in the day but it could have been a matter of perception as I was just a kid... Or at least that's what I thought.

Just out of curiosity I did the most ham fisted google search ever and found a new york times article from 1990.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/20/style/consumer-s-world-coping-with-a-blizzard-of-batteries.html

"Alkaline: These cost about $2 to $3 a pair for C or D flashlight cells, and about half that for the AA and smaller AAA penlight batteries. They last four or five times as long on the shelf and give more power than zinc-carbon batteries. Their higher power makes them best for gadgets with high power drain like large portable music systems, portable computers, big toys and radios that are used a lot."

So that would be about 50-75 cents (or roughly $1-$1.50 in today's money adjusted via CPI %) per AA battery. If a gamegear took 6 then it would have cost roughly $6-$9 (in today's dollars) to fill the thing with new batteries, to get only 2 hours of play time out of the thing...

No wonder most of these things went unplayed. I imagine most kids just played with it a few times, ran out of batteries and just went back to playing their genesis.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stormangel posted:

In high school I saved up and bought a Game Gear, Sonic 2, and Mortal Kombat 2 back in the day. Knowing it's appetite for batteries, when it came time for a trip I bought a 12v adapter. Luckily it was that translucent plastic which was en vogue at the time, because when I tried it out it almost immediately caught fire inside! My dad returned it and the replacement caught fire as well. After that my dad just gave me a big pile of batteries for the trip. I don't remember actually playing it on the trip.

lmfao I hope your dad noticed this fact and never forgave you

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Game Gear also came with an AC adaptor in the box, at least

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So how's this with the wishlist I have for switch?
Daggerfall, might and magics, and crusader kings?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just a hunch, but I think Deck's display may be capable of refresh rates other than 60hz and Valve are planning to expose this whenever the software is baked. Not necessarily VRR, but fixed rates below 60hz (50, 45, 40 etc). Based on a wink-nudge from a Phawx livestream, but also some Steam Deck UI footage from IGN's video review.

Advantages are pretty obvious, many games struggle to hit 60hz and 50hz feels very close to 60hz, much closer than 30hz which would normally be the next step down.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 27, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think the people who did the hardware tear downs would have figured that out by now

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think the people who did the hardware tear downs would have figured that out by now

That wouldn't tell them a lot and they're likely under embargo. loving with their product's LCD timings post-launch also isn't out of Valve's wheelhouse see: Index.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1497951051810439168
is santa gabe is coming to your seattle suburb town??

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
No wonder it'll take so long to release the Q1 sets if Gaben has to fly to every country!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Finally, a reason for anybody to live in Seattle

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

punk rebel ecks posted:

It blows my mind that those old console didn't have those rechargeable battery accessories built in.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it wasn’t good.
NiCd battery tech was terrible, low capacity, high cost, memory effect, the need to drain and trickle charge, it's completely nuts how bad it was before NiMh

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I’ve been seriously craving Metal Gear Acid, but my PSP is pretty busted. I think I saw emulation capability on the Deck; is there a PSP emulator I’ll be able to use on it?

Either way, canceling my pre-order, and encouraging others to do the same.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

PPSSPP, installing it is about 5-10 clicks. Presumably runs everything that's compatible at full speed.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Would installing a screen protector defeat the purpose of the anti glare screen?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yes, but on the other hand you're not putting it you your pocket with your keys and your change.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes, but on the other hand you're not putting it you your pocket with your keys and your change.

It also comes with a really nice case to keep it in

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

My comically large flared jeans from the 90's say otherwise! My steam deck with sit nicely between my techdecks, furbies and yugioh cards.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Post your everyday carry.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So, when you get your Steam Deck, you might be wondering what to play first... based on games I've already seen as Verified, consider this a 'launch lineup' of greatest hits, especially useful for people who are using this as a way to finally dig into their backlog, or are new to PC gaming.

Action:
Bayonetta
Blasphemous
Cuphead
Death's Door
Katana Zero
Furi
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Vanquish

ARPG:
Victor Vran
Ys: Oath in Felghana & Ys: Origin
Yakuza 0

FPS/TPS:
Alien: Isolation
Binary Domain
Bulletstorm (full clip edition is what's verified.. unsure about original version)
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Deus Ex
Dishonored
Just Cause 2
Half-Life (series)

Metroidvania:
Hollow Knight
Supraland
Yoku's Island Express

Platformer:
Celeste
Grapple Dog
INSIDE
Little Nightmares
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Trine (series)
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
VVVVVV

Puzzle:
Antichamber
Baba is You
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
FEZ
Return of the Obra Dinn
Portal 2
The Sexy Brutale
The Witness

Roguelite:
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Dead Cells
Dicey Dungeons
Enter the Gungeon
Hades
Nuclear Throne
Slay the Spire
SUPERHOT: Mind Control Delete
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

RPG:
Bug Fables
Fallout series (note: New Vegas not yet verified)
Final Fantasy 1 through 8 (includes the pixel remasters)
Pillars of Eternity
Tales of Berseria
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Valkyria Chronicles

Story:
Disco Elysium
Donut County
Paradise Killer

Survival:
Don't Starve/Together
Subnautica

Other:
Factorio
Graveyard Keeper
House Flipper
Stardew Valley
The Jackbox Party Pack

I can recommend pretty much all of these (don't bother with the audio logs or videos in The Witness though, it's purestrain Jonathan Blow. just enjoy the puzzles). I am trying to abstrain from super modern 3D games because... especially for games from the last couple of years, there will probably be a lot of tinkering needed from the community to find the ideal settings needed for performance anywhere near what the above games will offer. I think there's a pretty good chance almost everything I've linked-- with a couple of exceptions-- will run close to 60fps on default or lower settings, while games like Elden Ring need bleeding edge patches just to get the framerate to stop dropping into the teens whenever you turn the camera too fast. I'm just saying, this is an opportunity to play through some of those classics you've always been putting off, instead of just trying to cram day 1 2022 AAA games on it.

(also I know that I'm a rare freak that beats most of the games they own, so I'm sure there are a lot of people who still haven't played a lot of these games!!!)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 27, 2022

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-deck-emulation-installation/

This article about how PCGamer's Steam Deck reviewer ended up wasting tons of time on Persona 3 is my catnip.

From what I could find so far it sounds like everything up to PS2 just works right out of the box, PS3 and Switch need optimizing but look feasible.

Trucker Hat fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 28, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Trucker Hat posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-deck-emulation-installation/

This article about how PCGamer's Steam Deck reviewer emded up wasting tons of time on Persona 3 is my catnip.

From what I could find so far it sounds like everything up to PS2 just works right out of the box, PS3 and Switch need optimizing but look feasible.

mmmmm, this is my poo poo right there. Gunna mess around with emulators for 12 hours, maybe spend 2 hours playing games.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
14 hours messing with emulators, 0 hours playing games

e: no, this time I'll play some for real, I promise

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

14 hours messing with emulators, 0 hours playing games

e: no, this time I'll play some for real, I promise

So real it hurts. So many old games I want to play again, spend all the time setting it up just to play 15 minutes and decide "ok I'm good"
Here's hoping that's not true for Skies of Arcadia on GameCube, only got to try the Dreamcast version and the physical game on GC is way too expensive to buy now.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

All the fun of the retro consoles and these ultra compact PC's is getting them up and running and customized to your tastes and then never actually playing them.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's because we just remember old games as fun but then realized how dated and unfun they are by modern standards. Best not to meet your heroes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kinda true to be honest, though I actually do play the retro games I grew up with pretty often. It's going to be weird if the process becomes so streamlined that you don't have to do any of the tweaking down the line. I mean, with the Steamdeck, you could have a purpose-built build of the emulator that has everything pre-set up right?

As much of RetroArch is tainting by a colossal sized pile of poo poo I love that it's literally right on Steam and I just have all my ROMs on it. However getting it "working" is more annoying than fun in regards to that.

I guess with the SteamDeck running Linux you can just pull and update builds of emulators and poo poo and I'm sure there's going to be plenty of forks for Steam Deck specific builds for perfect controller integration so whatever.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kwolok posted:

It's because we just remember old games as fun but then realized how dated and unfun they are by modern standards. Best not to meet your heroes

nah I'm just too lazy to actually play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gonna need this a a Bluetooth 3x3 grid of buttons for portable
First Funky Fighter
https://youtu.be/kYD8PYLVsFo