Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DeadlyMuffin posted:

And that you're straight, naturally. Your state government is making that crystal clear.

lmao I no longer live in Texas and if you think I think the state government represents me or the majority of people in the state go gently caress yourself. they're a one-party fascist dictatorship oppressing people. it is not "my" government. i'm loving queer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

DeadlyMuffin posted:

And that you're straight, naturally. Your state government is making that crystal clear.

The government definitely sucks. But I know a lot of very happy gay people here doing some great work to make it better.

And an article if you want to actually learn something about Texas politics.
https://sanantonioreport.org/texas-voter-turnout-2022-ross-ramsey-analysis/

Atticus_1354 has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Feb 27, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Take a lesson from Tolkien. He started on a LotR sequel and realized it was poo poo, then just stopped.

He didn't stop, he kept working on the mythology and his created languages until his death. The Silmarillion was published posthumously and is not Tolkien's final intent, just his son's best guess at what it should be after picking through 10 000 pages of material.

*to see what is left out you can read, for example, Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth or The Children of Húrin.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Feb 27, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The idea of having nemeses on an online forum like SA seems weird to me. I have no enemies here and can't imagine that ever changing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The idea of having nemeses on an online forum like SA seems weird to me. I have no enemies here and can't imagine that ever changing.

I've been here three times as long as you have, and I still don't have any SA enemies (that I know of anyway). :hfive:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Yet so many people click ignore like they're just swiping left (or right, whichever is the No direction). Goons are the pinnacle of fragility.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Yet so many people click ignore like they're just swiping left (or right, whichever is the No direction). Goons are the pinnacle of fragility.

This is incredibly true. Why anyone just wants to sit in an echo chamber is beyond me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unless someone is being really obnoxious and making GBS threads up a thread, I don't really believe in using the ignore function.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What's up with the ignore discussion, did someone get ignored or something.

*did ignore a few people back in the day, iirc that all were banned since

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
If someone on Facebook responds with a gif I usually ignore them. Posting a gif is a great way for when you know jack poo poo about the discussion but you still feel the need to contribute absolutely nothing to it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

This is incredibly true. Why anyone just wants to sit in an echo chamber is beyond me.

ignoring people is for bitches

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My favorite is when they threaten to ignore someone

Watch out, if you post some more I'm gonna be a little bitch!

Like how delusional does one have to be to think their attention is a desired commodity people will shape their behavior to receive

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah if I'm gonna ignore someone (I never have) I'm not going to threaten such or like make an announcement first. I'll just do it.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmao I no longer live in Texas and if you think I think the state government represents me or the majority of people in the state go gently caress yourself. they're a one-party fascist dictatorship oppressing people. it is not "my" government. i'm loving queer.

Nah, I'm just enjoying the "well, you can come to Texas if you're this and not that" discussion in light of recent orders about trans kids.

That probably should make your list of what is and isn't okay in the great state of Texas.

Atticus_1354 posted:

The government definitely sucks. But I know a lot of very happy gay people here doing some great work to make it better.

And an article if you want to actually learn something about Texas politics.
https://sanantonioreport.org/texas-voter-turnout-2022-ross-ramsey-analysis/

I'm trans. I think I got the "not welcome" loud and loving clear.

It's great that there are people on the ground trying to make it better, and I donate to charities that try and help with abortion access in Texas, but my personality held unpopular opinion is that I'm going to go out of my way to highlight the state government's bigotry whenever I get the chance.

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Feb 27, 2022

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Nah, I'm just enjoying the "well, you can come to Texas if you're this and not that" discussion in light of recent orders about trans kids.

That probably should make your list of what is and isn't okay in the great state of Texas.

Nah. You're just making the same "if you don't like it why don't you move" and "people in the south deserve bad things because of their gov" arguments that always get made.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nah. You're just making the same "if you don't like it why don't you move" and "people in the south deserve bad things because of their gov" arguments that always get made.

You're putting words in my mouth. I don't think Texans, especially LGBT Texans deserve their government. But I'm not going to walk on eggshells in the loving unpopular opinion thread about saying Texas seems to be pretty unwelcoming to LGBT people.

Since you're putting words in my mouth, let me take a guess: next is the part where you tell me to move there to be the change.

Edit: the post I responded to was literally about what was and wasn't okay for someone moving to Texas. Do you not think the state government's hostility is relevant?

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Feb 27, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And now I kind of want to make a thread where people who want a forums arch-enemy can be randomly paired off, and form good old deep-seated grudges.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Since you're putting words in my mouth, let me take a guess: next is the part where you tell me to move there to be the change.

Nah. Please stay away. We don't want you.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nah. Please stay away. We don't want you.

That was my entire point.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Unless someone is being really obnoxious and making GBS threads up a thread, I don't really believe in using the ignore function.

Same.

Though it is weird when people recognise my posting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Am I wrong or did literally nobody bring up Texas

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Texas will accept you on the condition that you are neither liberal tech bro driving up prices or yeehawboo chud who will be pissed that the vietnamese make the best food in Houston.

Seriously, the only good outcome of the Vietnam War was adding vietnamese to the already incredible mix of cuisines on the gulf coast.

I did know about the great Vietnamese food there and that was a consideration. My rough idea is as long as there's an H-Mart close by then I'll be happy.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Guess what pal, you've just made a powerful enemy today.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

The Shield is good but as someone who has watched it and all those it's like, as good? Also why are you watching a show 20 times, that time could be spent better eating rear end.

I like to always have something on in the background. Because I do it while I work and get distracted, it takes several passes before the plot really sticks. Also you can eat rear end while watching tv.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Guess what pal, you've just made a powerful enemy today.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I did know about the great Vietnamese food there and that was a consideration. My rough idea is as long as there's an H-Mart close by then I'll be happy.

In Houston even some of the street signs are in Vietnamese.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I like to always have something on in the background. Because I do it while I work and get distracted, it takes several passes before the plot really sticks. Also you can eat rear end while watching tv.

That's an acceptable explanation that reminds me that people are really different. :tipshat:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Josef bugman posted:

Same.

Though it is weird when people recognise my posting.

I know it’s you every time I see an incredibly lovely post

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Naw I’m just playing. You’re good people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Seriously though who is this guy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you want to live somewhere with great Vietnamese food, may I suggest Vietnam.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vietnam or Thailand are options if the stock market completely tanks by the time I retire

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Powered Descent posted:

And now I kind of want to make a thread where people who want a forums arch-enemy can be randomly paired off, and form good old deep-seated grudges.

I will approve and sanction this thread, subject that we need at least one impartial poster to be the hype person announcer who gives us all the lore of each side of the forum arch enemy. I will also allow for people who do not want enemies and just need posting friends, posting allies or posting animalities. I however draw the line on posting romances

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I miss skeuomorphism.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't even know how or why people remember who posted anything online. Like, each person on SA is just one part of a single collective entity to me. Every person on any given Discord server registers to me as an expression of the personality of the server itself. Other than the people on my own server, of course, who are my actual real-life friends and whose existences therefore have some outside context.

People bring up stuff about me or that I've said on here sometimes, and I'm like "who are you? why do you know who I am? What's wrong with you that you remember specific things about people from the internet?"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I believe you, person with 23746 posts, that you remember nothing about posters on SA.

Sure, and if that actually was true it would be more disturbing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

If someone on Facebook responds with a gif I usually ignore them. Posting a gif is a great way for when you know jack poo poo about the discussion but you still feel the need to contribute absolutely nothing to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

doverhog posted:

I believe you, person with 23746 posts, that you remember nothing about posters on SA.

Sure, and if that actually was true it would be more disturbing.

I recognize avatars way more than user names. If someone gets a new avatar everything gets hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Ok so my interpretation is (because I was a bit confused there for a second, too):

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is literally only arguing that:

- Texas is hostile to LGBT people because of their government trying to literally round up LGBT children

- While people may be fighting LGBT legislation on the ground, it was still a signal from the government that was voted into office that LGBT people are not welcome in Texas, and are instead actively reviled and treated with distain by the people who voted for that

- And that maybe, for that reason, like other people, they don't want to go there, and people shouldn't give an impression that Texas is openly fine with queer people

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Arguing that:

- Texas is not representative of them personally, they do not treat queer people with revile and distain as they are queer

- That they liked living there

Atticus_1354 posted:

Arguing that:

- The government in Texas is bad, but despite that, some folks are making it better

- That #NotAllTexans hate queer folk and stating that condemning all Texans or Texas as a whole is dooming queer folk to the government

I'm not really very sure why this was an argument, because you're all varying degrees of correct, but then again, this is Awful