Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Asgerd posted:

The Rise of Skywalker combined all the best parts of Dark Empire and The Glove of Darth Vader.

Wrong. Rise of Skywalker may have had a Mofference, but no one said the word, so it doesn’t count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/22949905/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-interactive-disney-world-photos-price

Previews of the new Disney Star Wars hotel experience are coming in.

Sounds like an amazing experience if you’re willing to role play with the cast/staff and are huge into Star Wars, assuming the price is not a barrier. Otherwise stay far away.

Five grand for two days? How can they possibly justify that?

(I know they don't have to justify it and that people will pay it regardless).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

stev posted:

Five grand for two days? How can they possibly justify that?

(I know they don't have to justify it and that people will pay it regardless).

A once in a lifetime experience!

*because dumbasses willing to pay that price aren't rich enough to afford it twice

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

The United States posted:

World Devastators are cool and at least the art continues to be really neat and different from all the other star wars comic art

I'm talking about Empires End

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

In Him with Him in Him
In the unity of the Holy.... Force?
All force (tf?) is yours almighty Fa- uh... Whills (jfc)
Forever and ever

Schwarzwald posted:

Hakaider has some exceptional mattes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtuf-TU9C7Q

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Schwarzwald posted:

Hakaider has some exceptional mattes.

This looks so good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is extremely cool, but as a matter of principle, I can’t fathom spending so much money on a two day hotel LARPing experience.

But yeah, it’s cool. It’d just be a lot cooler if it was, say, $2,000 or so for a couple and maybe $3,000 for two adults and two kids.

The rates as they are right now have made this something that a typical family can’t afford to do. I get that it’s an “experience” and not just a hotel vacation stay, but still, $6,000 is outrageous. You had better give me a high end lightsaber hilt and some Jedi robes at the end of the day for that kind of price point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v13wcYTL7PA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BiggestBatman posted:

Just like the sequels too, the third part of dark empire is extremely phoned in

BiggestBatman posted:

I'm talking about Empires End
Are you not talking about the end of Dark Empire where Luke fights all the way too good looking young Palpy clones bursting out of cylinders and a force storm destroys the super duper ultra star destroyer?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

The rates as they are right now have made this something that a typical family can’t afford to do.

That's the point, Disney doesn't truly cater to "typical" families anymore, they are targeting upper middle class and above people for these kinds of experiences, the ones that can drop 6k on a vacation and not face significant financial issues as a result. They market their poo poo as for everyone but it hasn't been that way since the 90s, see the constant increase of costs for park visits and basically requiring people to pay even more money (fast pass, fast pass plus) to be able to ride any attractions in a 2 day/3 night stay. They would have to invest significant money into expanding the parks to meet demand and that sure as gently caress isn't happening. So they're more than happy to sell you the idea of a vacation most people will never be able to afford because you'll still watch their movies and buy their merchandise and if you're dedicated enough you'll find a way to pay. They still make their money in the end, which is the ultimate goal anyway.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I was at EuroDisney this weekend. poo poo is hideously expensive, no matter what you do.

Somewhat movie related, it was also my first time on the "new" star tours.

We actually had a pretty bad first experience with the “new” star tours. Me and my wife still remember the insanity of the old one which ended with blowing up the Death Star as a climax. Keep in mind, my wife hasn't seen any of the newer movies and just about knows what a death star is.

Our first run in the new one was a full on sequel trilogy treatment.
It started good, Kyle shows up and stops the shuttle. (Cool) There are 2 stun baton troopers making sick spins.(cool) And unintentionally pretty funny, I'm in a ship. What're they going to do?
Anyway, you break free, fly to Jakku for the TFA scenes of the falcon flying through Star destroyer debris. Cool, though the scene feels more like the Falcon is having an adventure than us.
Maz Kanata showed up. Which was terrible, because Maz Kanata is terrible. She only spoke French, but she still seemed to be dealing with her union dispute.
We flew to The battle of Crait. I assumed we were going to destroy the laser or maybe destroy some ATAT's. Crait, like in the movie looked cool, but ultimately ended with us destroying 1 ATAT and then we flew off. That was the climax. :geno: Hurrah, we destroyed a single atat of the dozens and the giant death laser.
Then we landed at Batuu, which was a very empty thing since The Galaxy Edge theme park isn’t in Paris. :shrug:

It was still exciting, but honestly the original ride beats that experience hands down and I left actually a little disappointed. I'd only heard of an upgrade and this wasn't an upgrade.

Fortunately, our second run was wholly based on the prequel trilogy and was an outright riot. With encounters with the huge fish, an escape from the launching bay with the falcon. But more importantly a lot of humor and a hilarious ending. We crashed against a Naboo fighter and a pit droid chewed out C3PO before a piece broke off taking the pit droid along.
And now my son loves Star wars :allears: Now to watch the movies with him.

I think my wife wants to try going chronologically...not sure yet if that's a good idea.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth TNT posted:

I think my wife wants to try going chronologically...not sure yet if that's a good idea.

Pretty sure it can be said to work fine. The prequels hold up better than most complaints say, and tie right into the best- and still canon- EU stuff. (both Clone Wars cartoons are great) They're clearly made putting the OT into a new context but not really ruining the experience.

Of course, I still reckon the sequels are most likely to be decanonised within a decade.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Darth TNT posted:

I was at EuroDisney this weekend. poo poo is hideously expensive, no matter what you do.

It was still exciting, but honestly the original ride beats that experience hands down and I left actually a little disappointed. I'd only heard of an upgrade and this wasn't an upgrade.

Fortunately, our second run was wholly based on the prequel trilogy and was an outright riot. With encounters with the huge fish, an escape from the launching bay with the falcon. But more importantly a lot of humor and a hilarious ending. We crashed against a Naboo fighter and a pit droid chewed out C3PO before a piece broke off taking the pit droid along.
And now my son loves Star wars :allears: Now to watch the movies with him.

I'm surprised I never discussed this in the Disney thread in A/T Travel, but yeah, the old Star Tours was so much better. On the newer updates, you're spot on about the prequel sequences. Those are hands down the best ones now if you ever get to see them. The last few times I visited Galaxy's Edge in Orlando, I only got lovely ST sequences, which are boring as hell. Pod racing or trying to get away from the Battle of Coruscant is superior to anything they've added since 2015.

The one I dislike the most, and somehow *always* get lately are the skimmer thingies from TLJ going up against the apeish looking AT-ATs on Crait.

Edit: Also on movie order, I went with release order with my wife and sold her on the concept. She assured me if I had started her on Phantom Menace that there was no way she was staying around the AotC and beyond.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What I'd give to be 8 years old in the queue for Star Tours again. All the animatronics and poo poo was mind blowing. The ride was fine but the aesthetics surrounding it was incredible. I don't think I'd even seen all of the OT films at that point but it was just the best.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Doronin posted:

Pod racing or trying to get away from the Battle of Coruscant is superior to anything they've added since 2015.

This is also just generally true of the franchise

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

stev posted:

What I'd give to be 8 years old in the queue for Star Tours again. All the animatronics and poo poo was mind blowing. The ride was fine but the aesthetics surrounding it was incredible. I don't think I'd even seen all of the OT films at that point but it was just the best.

Same... my mom broke out an old album from about 1990/91 with a bunch of pictures we took at Star Tours and drat the nostalgia dopamine hit was real. Even in the queue outside with the giant AT-AT staring down at you from the Endor set just had me absolutely floored back then.

That same trip we also managed to meet John Schneider and Tom Wopat (aka, Bo and Luke Duke from the original Dukes of Hazard) and the Ninja Turtles. Hell of a vacation, for sure.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Current pre ride in Paris (which I assume is identical to the others) is pretty baller as well. There the luggage scanner which has a ton of jokes. (Lol at wall-e cameo)
The old pilot is hidden in the crates, sparking. I’m ashamed to say it took me a minute recognize him.
There’s a window with shadows that do stuff. It sets the mood properly, just like the old ride.

The problem with the battle of Crait is that it’s not a climax, but gets treated as such. As a climax it’s terrible, as a middle it’d be fine.

For completeness My prequel ride was Millenium Falcon escape, Kashyyk (hilarious!), Ackbar, Naboo (Boring space battle, but the underwater part was great and the ending was a hoot!)

Amazingly someone uploaded literally everything from the old ride. (Except animatronics)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s9NP6iSAkVo

Imo The biggest difference is that stuff happens to you, instead of to others with you watching. This is also why the opening is cool, with your ship getting held up.
Ironically, based on that article by the verge, this sounds like the same problem that ship tour will run into.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNdXluAiLQk

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i wonder what the patrons of the $6k hotel are like... most hotels there's at least a few people wildly under-dressed in the dining areas. Do you get a costume? It'd be a bummer to show up decked out in your finest cosplay and be surrounded by dudes in cargo shorts and nike free runs

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

well why not posted:

i wonder what the patrons of the $6k hotel are like... most hotels there's at least a few people wildly under-dressed in the dining areas. Do you get a costume? It'd be a bummer to show up decked out in your finest cosplay and be surrounded by dudes in cargo shorts and nike free runs

They will upsell you a costume if you want one, while supplies last. They seem like vaguely star wars pajamas, mostly

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1491762900343525378

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 1, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

well why not posted:

Just throw on a black robe and walk around cackling at the plebs like any two-bit Sith Lord with a credit to their name

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

Just throw on a black robe and walk around cackling at the plebs like any two-bit Sith Lord with a credit to their name

I think you have to do that because IIRC they don't allow cosplaying as existing characters.

EDIT: If I had some stupid $$$ and went to this I would totally make the group I go with dress as our favorite jizz wailers in the galaxy, Jefferson Starship, and the imperial trooper entranced by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKL-6rBkQN0

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 1, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Oh, I'm not dressed as Luke, actually. My character just happens to live near him on Tattooine and we shop at the same store."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

"Oh, I'm not dressed as Luke, actually. My character just happens to look like exactly like him but is several inches taller."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

"Oh, I'm not dressed as Luke, actually. My character just happens to look like him because he is a clone named Luuke."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

"Oh, I'm not dressed as Luke, actually. My character is Luke Skywalker's Best Friend who was canonically just out of frame during all his adventures."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Due to some circumstances I am going to get to go to this hotel with my sister in the summer, and I'm thinking I'm gonna be a stowaway on the millenium falcon.

edit: the circumstances are that im not paying for it

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 1, 2022

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

The United States posted:

Are you not talking about the end of Dark Empire where Luke fights all the way too good looking young Palpy clones bursting out of cylinders and a force storm destroys the super duper ultra star destroyer?

The end of Dark Empire I is pretty slipshod, but more than anything else for the out of nowhere Eclipse showing up to be a last minute threat, but honey bear I'm talking about the third part of the whole shebang Empire's End, where Tom Vietch couldn't be bothered to write more than two issues to just wrap up everything from the series. The second part. Dark Empire II, actually throws a lot of new stuff into the mix, like the multiple amputee flying jedi king and even more dangerous than normal rancors.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

The end of Dark Empire I is pretty slipshod, but more than anything else for the out of nowhere Eclipse showing up to be a last minute threat, but honey bear I'm talking about the third part of the whole shebang Empire's End, where Tom Vietch couldn't be bothered to write more than two issues to just wrap up everything from the series. The second part. Dark Empire II, actually throws a lot of new stuff into the mix, like the multiple amputee flying jedi king and even more dangerous than normal rancors.

We see one rancor in Return of the Jedi and it's already pretty dangerous so I love the overkill of this comic saying that, no, this isn't just ANY old group of rancors - which would already be incredibly dangerous - these are MORE dangerous rancors.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

"Oh, I'm not dressed as Luke, actually. My character just happens to live near him on Tattooine and we shop at the same store."

The first thing that Disney did with Star Wars continues to be the best thing: Phineas and Ferb Star Wars, which does almost exactly this, but with the titular characters.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1498672294012538892

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any thoughts or observations on Rick McCallum and his role in the prequels and/or special editions? From behind the scenes videos, he seems like a guy who was great at logistics and could take George's vision and make it possible—no matter how difficult the task. But also, as someone who had his brain poisoned by early 90s-00s online discussion around the prequels, I still have this picture in my mind of him as a yes-man who never questioned anything and never used his position of power to push back on bad directorial choices. But, as a more, er, worldly adult—isn't that exactly what a good producer should do? To what degree should any producer in his capacity feel a responsibility to be a creative voice in the room and push back on directors's decisions?

I came around to loving the prequels late, and realize that I still have a lot of bias around how they were made and what they "should" have been and what they ended up actually being. But McCallum I still don't quite "get."

Heh, I just burned through his whole past couple months yesterday when I was sick. Absolute gems on there, everything really interesting.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Neo Rasa posted:

We see one rancor in Return of the Jedi and it's already pretty dangerous so I love the overkill of this comic saying that, no, this isn't just ANY old group of rancors - which would already be incredibly dangerous - these are MORE dangerous rancors.

I mean, Jabba doesn't seem to be taking particularly good care of his rancor. I'm sure one that's actually well fed and has room to exercise would be healthier and thus more dangerous.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have any thoughts or observations on Rick McCallum and his role in the prequels and/or special editions? .

He's so dense...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, Jabba doesn't seem to be taking particularly good care of his rancor.
He's busy, but he cared enough to hire a smaller, still very fat man to take care of it. Always feel bad for that guy when I rewatch RotJ.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

He's busy, but he cared enough to hire a smaller, still very fat man to take care of it. Always feel bad for that guy when I rewatch RotJ.

Same. :smith: He's heartbroken that his pet died.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darth TNT posted:

Same. :smith: He's heartbroken that his pet died.

Obligatory:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think it's worth noting that there are a lot of Disney fans that spend a disproportionately high amount of their money on Disney. People will go well beyond their means to do this hotel thing, which is kind of sad.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Glottis posted:

I think it's worth noting that there are a lot of Disney fans that spend a disproportionately high amount of their money on Disney. People will go well beyond their means to do this hotel thing, which is kind of sad.

Yeah, there are tons of Disney shills out there. Not even specifically for SW, just all things Disney. I know people who go every year and are obsessed with it, it's kinda wild. Don't even want to think about how much money they spend

Someone linked a Jenny Nicholson clip before and she is a perfect example of one. She also used to, or still does I'm not sure, work for Disney.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think jenny is pretty much in the recovering disney woman phase. Unless disney is better at playing the long game than I give them credit for, I think a shill would not have taken as big a poo poo on solo and star wars 9 as she did

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Or Rogue One, the best Disney Star Wars film