Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

distortion park posted:

Not only do they heat homes, heat pumps are an extremely efficient way to do it, and are increasingly common in Europe, especially the Nordics. About 3x as efficient as resistance heaters.

About 4x in Germany's climate.

But they don't exist right now and won't for a good while.

Again, gas is primarily used for heating right now, and running the EOL'd fission plants longer is simply not a solution. The "sources" quoted are just bullshitting.

The replacement of gas heating and shift to heat pumps must (hopefully will) happen on the same scale as expansion of renewables.

KingColliwog posted:

I'm not saying the switch is realistic, but here in Quebec the electricity is produced in dams that are extremely far away from any urban center and used to heat homes. The biggest ones are a 1500km 16 hour drive away from my place for example.

We were talking about district heating using waste heat from fission plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Probably the least useful and most controversial use of funds possible, huh

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Pook Good Mook posted:

What? What kind? Who is going to fly them?

"I know you liked your Mig, but hope in this here F-16, see how it feels for you."

Don't the former Warsaw Pact & Balkan countries have older MiGs and Sukhois?

It's a great grift so that the Poles, Czechs, Croats whatever can get rid of that stuff to the Ukrainians and spend spend spend on some nice* F-35s.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheRat posted:

My heatpump worked just fine in -15c a few winters ago

I've got a heat pump in my house, in Norway and it works just fine also yeah. The point was more, heat pumps are common and work very well in Scandinavia, and it absolutely does not get as cold on the regular in Germany as it does here.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
That Op-ed seems to imply it was never about NATO

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Crespolini posted:

Why do you have to do that? Surely Germans already have access to electricity in their homes?

Heating requires a lot of energy. The electric grid won't be able to handle it if it wasn't designed for it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Yesterday I posted an absolutely bug gently caress op ed from the Russian state media site - on the topic of "The Ukranian Question". Looks like there have been a few developments around the article since then

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498026277881540610?t=DVNGj00mMLncLknMeARFVw&s=19
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498029060085075969?t=44ECP6yKoVm8Zl-CjUUhZw&s=19

Here's a link to the archived version if you haven't read it.

Annnnd that pretty much spells out Russia's goals in the conflict - to annex Ukraine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don’t think there’s enough time in this invasion for fighter jet sales to matter. I mean logistically it makes little sense unless they’re planning on having them fly out of polish airbases with volunteer pilots or something, and that seems.. risky.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

"I know you liked your Mig, but hop in this here F-16, see how it feels for you."

Poland operates mig 29s and f16s. Maybe promise Poland shiny new f16s in exchange for their older 29s.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I predicted that some pages back, but not so soon.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Maybe Europeans will just have to deal with the cold. Try blankets?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's a Energy megathread btw to talk about whether Germany can shift back to nuclear.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

"I know you liked your Mig, but hop in this here F-16, see how it feels for you."

There's a few former Warsaw Pact countries that still have stocks of Soviet/Russian aircraft, that's probably where they'll come from.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Antigravitas posted:

We were talking about district heating using waste heat from fission plants.

Oh yeah, those take at least a year to build, once every single part is approved and environmentally cleared, so yeah that's not a short term solution in the slightest.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is like one of those old "Meanwhile in Ukraine" memes from a decade ago except happening during wartime.

I've read on twitter that local roma stripped an APC in mere hours, shame that no video

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

I guess to him the idea of electricity heating homes is as odd and alien to him, as the idea of piping gas via lines into houses is to me, or having a stove (indoors!) that literally uses flames for cooking.

support for nuclear energy skyrockets as millions of germans realize they can cook and heat their homes with it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

I'm not saying the switch is realistic, but here in Quebec the electricity is produced in dams that are extremely far away from any urban center and used to heat homes. The biggest ones are a 1500km 16 hour drive away from my place for example.

Electricity is used for heating in Germany, it's not like it's some alien concept the German mind can't comprehend. The infrastructure for it is just not in place for millions and millions of households, nor do we have the excess electricity generation capacity to do electric heating with anything but old mothballed emergency coal plants for these households. Moving away from gas is a long, multi year project not something you can do in a month with some cheap heaters from the home improvement store.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Canada is not Europe. There are vanishingly few places in Europe that are "extremely far away from any urban center".

I thought you were saying the problem was transporting the electricity. Yeah I can understand how building nuclear reactors might be hard so sell in many places even if I think that fear is mostly irrational

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Pook Good Mook posted:

Slovakia still has a few MiG-29s in service, and they've been slowly converting to F-16s so in that case at least they could probably just hand them over, Poland still has plenty as well but they might be less willing for obvious reasons.

Edit: Unless yeah the rest of NATO makes some deals to give them fresh new F-16s/F-35s/Typhoons/etc.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Aramis posted:

That`s mostly correct, but you need to take into account that they work by making the outside of the building colder, which means that their efficiency drops off dramatically with temperature. Not sure about the latest models, but the general rule of thumb is that they are only worthwhile when the temperature is above -15C.

Newer models will be more efficient than direct electric heating at well past -20C and temperatures lower than that are becoming increasingly rare, even in the nordics.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Aipsh posted:

I don’t want to be a Clancy poster but this seems a bridge too far (in my estimation). I never understood how supplying weapons was a-okay, I don’t understand how this won’t escalate things

yeah this doesn't seem like a good idea. the whole reason everybody sides with ukraine, including many russians, is that russia is the aggressor and ukraine the underdog. supporting them is good up to a point but i don't think the west should go all in like this, not because it's not ethical so much as that it will ultimately make putin's rationale for the war gain traction on russian soldiers and citizens and make the war harder to bring to an end. the goal should be to stop the russian invasion and make it untenable and unpopular, not intensify the fighting

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pook Good Mook posted:

I looked it up and it looks like between Poland, Romania, and Bulgaria, there are a couple dozen Soviet fighter of the type Ukrainian pilots would be familiar with in EU hands.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

you feelin fucky posted:

Heating requires a lot of energy. The electric grid won't be able to handle it if it wasn't designed for it.

That seems like such a strange situation to be in. I suppose our lack of gas infrastructure must seem equally strange though.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Despera posted:

That Op-ed seems to imply it was never about NATO

Gee imagine that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Interesting thread here:
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497993363076915204?s=20&t=HiCH85Oykz7j039I05-azw

I don't know the background of the source tho

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pakled posted:

I looked it up and it looks like between Poland, Romania, and Bulgaria, there are a couple dozen Soviet fighter of the type Ukrainian pilots would be familiar with in EU hands.

This is interesting and helpful. Hopefully they also plan to hand over spare parts as well.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

This came out of loving nowhere. Where are they going to station them? And does Ukraine have pilots trained on western aircraft? They can't be new, becuase they'd have to wait ages for a sizeable force.

Does this lend credence to the wild rumours that the Ukraine Air Force used police air fields?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Yesterday I posted an absolutely bug gently caress op ed from the Russian state media site - on the topic of "The Ukranian Question". Looks like there have been a few developments around the article since then

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498026277881540610?t=DVNGj00mMLncLknMeARFVw&s=19
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498029060085075969?t=44ECP6yKoVm8Zl-CjUUhZw&s=19

Here's a link to the archived version if you haven't read it.

I didn't catch this yesterday, did you see it live on a Russian site? Just to be sure it was a real deal.

Calibanibal posted:

Maybe Europeans will just have to deal with the cold. Try blankets?
Spring is coming. I haven't had to use the heating for weeks if not a months now. Turn it off.

Shibawanko posted:

yeah this doesn't seem like a good idea. the whole reason everybody sides with ukraine, including many russians, is that russia is the aggressor and ukraine the underdog. supporting them is good up to a point but i don't think the west should go all in like this, not because it's not ethical so much as that it will ultimately make putin's rationale for the war gain traction on russian soldiers and citizens and make the war harder to bring to an end. the goal should be to stop the russian invasion and make it untenable and unpopular, not intensify the fighting

how would you make the invasion unpopular if Russia keeps advancing?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I run two heat pumps to heat my house in Australia (it does actually get quite cold here, down to about - 7) without any grid connection at all - just off solar and batteries. They are very efficient.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shibawanko posted:

It'd be an amazing outcome though, if a successful enough counter attack from Ukraine successfully expels Russia from occupied Ukraine. Like we wouldn't say that in order to avoid prolonging the fighting during WW2 people should agree to a peace treaty with Germany that leaves them with significant gains right? I'm not in the Ukrainian MoD, so its up to them to decide what outcome is worth pursuing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can we move heating chat to the energy thread?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/2020Oljusja/status/1498032023063207941

Has anyone seen this video elsewhere?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

dpkg chopra posted:

Can we move heating chat to the energy thread?

Heating chat is Eastern Europe chat in normal times

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I didn't tun on the heating at all this year :smug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

boofhead posted:

I knew that centralised heating for multiple buildings was a thing but I didn't know it was so widespread, here's an interesting page with a broad summary if anybody is curious

https://www.vaillant.de/heizung/heizung-verstehen/tipps-rund-um-ihre-heizung/fernwaerme/

Pretty cool

NYC still does it today. That's what all the steam coming out of plastic tubes you see in movies are.

They're moving away from it, but it's still there.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I didn't catch this yesterday, did you see it live on a Russian site? Just to be sure it was a real deal.

It's a real deal. Was discussed in this thread yesterday.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I read it on RIA yesterday. It's real, was up for a while and then deleted. It was nuts.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

well, that's terrifying.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

Dumb question apropos of nothing other than the “flight turned around lol” I suppose..

Are nations running expat/nationals repatriation flights from Russia right now? With the cut off of airspace to Russian flights is this a “go talk to your embassy” thing?

I guess (a) you can take a Swiss flight from Switzerland to Russia, or from Russia to Istanbul with any airline (I guess they have to detour way around Ukraine), or (b) you can take a bunch of really long bus rides.

Both solutions work fine for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Trump posted:

This came out of loving nowhere. Where are they going to station them? And does Ukraine have pilots trained on western aircraft? They can't be new, becuase they'd have to wait ages for a sizeable force.

Europe must have plenty of ex-military, some of whom (particularly in Eastern European countries) would probably jump at the opportunity to gently caress up some Russians. In theory, might it be possible for ex-military pilots to volunteer to fight in Ukraine (like the American special ops guys posted earlier)? And as mentioned, there do seem to be some Migs theoretically available.

Still see lots of problems, though, like how to actually get them there.