Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Switching from pure mage to pure physical melee feels good man. STR build so I can use all the cool big weapons.

These Ashes of War skills are neat as hell. I'm getting a few of them dropping now, but I'm worried about just slapping them on a regular weapon. I want to try them all out, can you get duplicates of them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I learned something about getting on the mount
https://i.imgur.com/4v7hIYW.mp4

You... didn't put the mount in a pouch slot?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All of my Ashes of War skills make my weapon damage worse lol. The skill itself does good damage I'm sure but it hurts my R1

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
man, it's rough going from Stormveil castle where I've spent the past few hours at a solid 60fps with very little stuttering, back out into a new zone where poo poo's gotta cache again and my framerate drops to the 40s

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Where tf is Ulcerated Tree Spirit, seems like everyone has fought this guy except me

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Switching from pure mage to pure physical melee feels good man. STR build so I can use all the cool big weapons.

These Ashes of War skills are neat as hell. I'm getting a few of them dropping now, but I'm worried about just slapping them on a regular weapon. I want to try them all out, can you get duplicates of them all?

They aren't consumed. Move em around.

Also if you get handed a weapon by an NPC that you can't use see if it has an art you like.

*Laughs in art of war: glintstone phalanx*

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cardboard Fox posted:

you can play around with them to your heart's content, they're not used up when you put them on a weapon.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

doctor iono posted:

correct. i'm about two areas past that now, its definitely the anor londo equivalent from what i can tell.

Thank you! This thread moves so fast and I figured as much

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Every Fromsoft game has an item that's very good for sorceries but also makes you look like a loving idiot.

https://i.imgur.com/xKpAHyJ.png

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The pouches are a dope addition, it really minimizes time spent in menus and feels very intuitive. I keep my horse whistle, horse berries, the telescope and whatever my favorite spirit summon usually is. The speed in which you can launch all this stuff is great.

Don't sleep on your horse berries, they're a 1 to 1 craftable item with the most common ingredient in the game. Feeding my horse at full speed as we safely evade a dragon dive-bombing me. What a game.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the dude from the trailer that looked like smough with fire coming out of a bowl on his head drops an insane dark red great hammer that requires 45 str

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

causticBeet posted:

Is there a reason to care about all of the crafting stuff? What is the point to all these marker things and random plants I am picking up? I have so many random flesh pieces and herbs and widgets that I have no idea what I’m supposed to use or pay attention to

Consumables. Stuff like firebombs, resins, temporary buffs, status-curing items, status arrows/bolts/knives, etc. There's a shitload of stuff to make. It's not strictly necessary to use any of them, but there's so many materials strewn around everywhere you might as well make poo poo with them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deviant posted:

Laughs in monster hunter

Already searching for what the boss of the Academy is weak too. :yayclod:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Anyone know where to get the Navy hood that increases your Mind stat?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Where tf is Ulcerated Tree Spirit, seems like everyone has fought this guy except me

Use a Stone Key on the imp statue in the tutorial cave. There's also a Talisman down there that's effectively the Ring of Favor from previous souls games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

skasion posted:

The key dungeon in the starting area.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Harrow posted:

Any hints on what this is?
How to start:
Find what’s at the bottom and of Stormveil castle and witness the blood spot there. Talk to Rogier about it then Fia.

What it seems to reveal:

Seems to start exploring the history of the black knife conspiracy that eventually led to the sundering.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Orv posted:

The key dungeon in the starting area.

Key? dungeon?

you mean the poison area? I ain't going there without some sort of anti-poison outfit

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
The craftables are legitimately useful, it’s easy to do, and ignoring them just because you “hate crafting” is pretty dumb imo. It takes like 5 seconds to make fire grease and it’s a strong buff

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
PSA: do NOT fight Glintstone dragons. They have a habit of permanently despawning around half health.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Key? dungeon?

you mean the poison area? I ain't going there without some sort of anti-poison outfit

You can drop into and run through the poison part without getting poisoned every single time. Just don't roll, you get more poison buildup the more you're covered.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Horace Kinch posted:

Use a Stone Key on the imp statue in the tutorial cave. There's also a Talisman down there that's effectively the Ring of Favor from previous souls games.

God poo poo gently caress dang it i just logged out to take a break

Also, i found a mine that i had walked by earlier but didn't actually go in and now my claymore is a very nice +5. Although i'm starting to wonder if maybe i like the even more gigantic zweihander more, even if i can't stick cool blood art ashes of war on it. It's just so big and makes everyone go *splat*

e: earlier someone mentioned that (stormveil castle spoilers) it's the guy that lets you sneak in that's stealing yr souls echoes runes so i went in there to kick his rear end, but he has a bunch of poo poo i want to buy :argh:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 27, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Okay I got teleported to the capital with a giant rock monster that you can rip over….but what do you do once he’s over?

I feel like there is something but I can’t figure it out

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Okay I got teleported to the capital with a giant rock monster that you can rip over….but what do you do once he’s over?

You can't do anything else with the capitol from there, gotta come back the main way.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

There's an excellent item in a chest nearby

Edit: oh wait if you mean what to do once you've tripped him, there's a weak point on his chest you need to press r1 on.

HampHamp fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 27, 2022

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm mostly avoiding any Elden Ring info (because I can't play yet, waiting for the new controller I ordered to come in) but I have two extremely specific questions:

1. Are fist builds good, as with Dark Souls 2?

2. If so: How early on are you likely to get ahold of proper fist weapons?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Orv posted:

Obviously you need to do things slightly different as a magic character but some really good movement and positioning in that video.

I mean there's a slight difference between some schmuck and someone who is paid to do this, but it did bring up that the summons teleport around. So run around the hill where he can't hit you, then go nuts summoning when he activates. Hidden rules, etc.

Beat him first try after that. Didn't grab his spear, unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure this will be the first From title I don't platinum so meh.

Edit: Oh, heh. His spear is just a greatarrow and they're for sale now. Cool.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 27, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only one that sells the boss drops for like 20,000 souls each time?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

so far the crafting system seems completely superfluous.

which is fine with me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Killed Godrick with the NPC's help at level 31 (mage). He didn't feel that bad. I was basically one shotting everyone in the castle. I got mind/int to 25 each and now i'm working on dex enough so that i can use a good mage sword.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

caldrax posted:

You... didn't put the mount in a pouch slot?

I like to mount on the run, so flipping to the horse and hitting X is easier than stopping to take both my thumbs off the sticks to hit Y+Dpad

I save pouch slots for things i can stand still for and don't need in the heat of combat

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Took me about 6 times on Godrick, I think the best way of all the ways I tried was popping the jellyfish on stage two, it's such a tank it's crazy and it's really when you need the distraction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

redreader posted:

Help. Playing on PC with PS5 controller. Everything was working fine but now I have a new bug. This didn't happen before: at any merchant, the cursor now goes to the bottom and stays there. If I press up, the cursor goes to the bottom row of items. I can only buy stuff from the bottom row now. D-pad down on my gamepad works fine during gameplay. I tried restarting and no dice.

Can't help, just to say I have experienced this intermittently on PC as well using a xbox one controller. I've updated the firmware, switched cables, gone wireless, even tried a different older controller and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the problem occurring, though often the game just runs fine but then suddenly I can't use the dpad to move around in merchant screens or in my inventory. It's super weird and if anybody has a solution please help us!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rusty posted:

Took me about 6 times on Godrick, I think the best way of all the ways I tried was popping the jellyfish on stage two, it's such a tank it's crazy and it's really when you need the distraction.

Do you have Nepheli with you? She makes it SO MUCH easier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I like to mount on the run, so flipping to the horse and hitting X is easier than stopping to take both my thumbs off the sticks to hit Y+Dpad
I put it on the left pouch slot so that I can use it by pressing left dpad with the side of my thumb while still moving

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lol the poison doggo trivializes every fight with something that can be poisoned, including the huge troll mine boss

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Also how is this game this big? I'm maybe like 25 hours in and i feel like I barely scratched the surface of what can be done.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any good farming spots to make weapon grease?

I've found a couple of spots with 5-10 'rare' plants all growing in a small area, I figure there must be something similar for most recipe items.

All this mount talk reminds me I just figured out you could use the running dismount into a jumping attack to really shake some bones at the start of combat.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

I save pouch slots for things i can stand still for and don't need in the heat of combat

Ok, to each their own but... using the slot is *much* faster in my experience, takes a millisecond, whereas switching items can take a few precious seconds under pressure, and you risk using the wrong thing. Like I'm pretty sure they did the pouch slots specifically for the horse call, didn't they give the tutorial for it at the same time that you get the horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Taking a break and naturally the first thing I do I click on a video about this game, but poo poo there's a ton of items I missed just hanging around 5 steps from the path I took when I went thru some of these areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9IsK8qhg4

Break cancelled.