Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

algebra testes posted:

Am I the only one that sells the boss drops for like 20,000 souls each time?

Probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

How much does boosting Dex improve your casting speed? I think in some other games it didn't start kicking in til like dex 35

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

How much does boosting Dex improve your casting speed? I think in some other games it didn't start kicking in til like dex 35

There’s a talisman in the second legacy dungeon that boosts cast speed.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Feel like a bit of a dope chasing dex/str to use the winged scythe without realizing it’s 24 faith to use. Now I’m stuck with a flail that I don’t want to take past +3 because I’m starting to think it kinda stinks, and my DPS is suffering. Is Quality viable? I’m thinking I push to 20/20 either committing to the flail (which just takes a bit to come out) or pick anything else

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

King Bahamut posted:

Feel like a bit of a dope chasing dex/str to use the winged scythe without realizing it’s 24 faith to use. Now I’m stuck with a flail that I don’t want to take past +3 because I’m starting to think it kinda stinks, and my DPS is suffering. Is Quality viable? I’m thinking I push to 20/20 either committing to the flail (which just takes a bit to come out) or pick anything else

Which flail stinks?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Danger posted:

Hmmmmm so i'm wasting time leveling my dex as a mage?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played this game at a friends house for like 5 hours today and in their 15 hours and my 10 hours we have almost 0 overlap it’s crazy. I’m at godrick and they didn’t enter the castle

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Danger posted:

Dexterity also boosts cast speed

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I need some help regarding an npc quest. It is a limgrave one so not very far in but has to do with an important limgrave boss...

I never talked to Alexander the pot bro before I killed godrick. This was a bad idea. He is no longer where the map says he is supposed to be. I have checked the next area that someone mentioned in liurnia and he isn't there either... is he gone? Has anyone found him after beating godrick?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Scoss posted:

I'm level 40 and I can't decide if Sorcery stinks or not.

It was extremely busto strong on like the two or three shitter minibosses before I got to Margit, and then it has been somewhat more balanced in terms of raw strength.

My main gripe though is that the only two spells that seem worth casting are the two you start the game with-- casting the magic missile over and over is getting pretty boring. The game's trailers kind of made it seem like they had Dragons Dogmafied the magic but it's all been a bit lame. It doesn't help that I keep finding literally three times as many incantations and faith scaling things as sorceries/int items. Also the incredible armory of huge swords and unga bunga weapons I'm finding everywhere and can't use. It took 20 hours for me to find the first real sorcery vendor and there was maybe one spell in there that ended up being situationally useful.

It's nice that I can use ashes to give any weapon int-scaling, but the sorcery ashes themselves are also pretty lame(of the 3 you can buy from the vendor in Stormveil castle). The Carian Greatsword skill is cool as hell but it's so slow it's nearly impossible to use and it does not seem to hit nearly hard enough to justify the incredible risk.

I've stopped pumping int at 30 points and I'm just investing in endurance and health now until the game either gives me some really cool new sorcery/int scaling toy or I find a normal weapon cool enough to make me totally abandon magic.

Carrying on from that point my friend has like 25 int and we kept unlocking new spells, trying them, then realizing actually pebble is better which was massively disappointing

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Ulcerated tree spirit is just stupid. It feels like it belongs in parody of a From game, not game where actual thought was put into it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Jesus gently caress Radahn. I figured I was doing something wrong so I checked youtube and the only sorc run is eight minutes of a guy who has to be like level 200 getting lucky. Everything else is beefy guys in armor who can chug a heal in the middle of the spear wave and live. Best I've done is 30%. I like how his melee strikes are the same range as my spells and if he turns after you cast you die.

Get on yo horse!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Danger posted:

How to start:
Find what’s at the bottom and of Stormveil castle and witness the blood spot there. Talk to Rogier about it then Fia.

What it seems to reveal:

Seems to start exploring the history of the black knife conspiracy that eventually led to the sundering.

Thanks! I've seen hints of that first spoiler so let's say I'm very curious.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

hobbez posted:

Really hard to get a feel for how the community is feeling about this game so far. For every 5 posts about how someone is getting actually stonewalled and they’re loving over it there is maybe 1 person that drops in to say “this game is a sublime epic masterpiece unlike anything before”.

Back in the day I played Pool of Radiance on the C64. If you followed the quests in a linear fashion, you'd get curb-stomped by a Troll group trying to clear the slums (literally the first quest in the game.) Games were different back then, so the prevailing attitude was "I'll go somewhere else and finish those guys off when I'm stronger." In fact, doing so was considered common sense, and I don't remember reports of people getting stuck on what could be considered a wall.

Since then games have become, by and large, curated treadmills where you're intended to experience the game in linear fashion as the developers intended, i.e. why are you in Westfall, stay in Elwynn Forest until you're bigger, etc. So someone who's been raised on those kinds of games, a game like this comes out and feels awful.

Until you either 1) make the mental adjustment, or 2) remember that games used to always be like this. There was a time before RPGs were a straight line, when having a major boss 6 inches from the tutorial dungeon was the rule and not the exception.

I'm not that good at these games, and I've still managed to beat every boss I've found in the starter areas so far, and killed the first 2 mandatory bosses. Maybe I was overleveled and overgeared for it, but that's one of the things that's so great about the game, you have the freedom to actually create your own difficulty by using summons, different tactics, different gear, even get someone to help you if you're truly in dire straits. And the mount turns some of the overworld bosses into GTA drive-by shootings.

I still haven't killed any of the bosses in those instanced areas in the circles, although I got one down to 10%, so I'm either not good enough or not equipped enough (probably both.)

It's not that often that you can find a game with legitimate difficulty but that also gives you the freedom and the tools to work it out and be able to surmount the challenges it throws at you. I think that's where most of the praise is coming from, that balance where a little extra grinding and adjustment can turn the tide. But the onus is on the player to do that - instead of a mission giver saying "Oh, it looks like you failed the boss, here are 12 miniquests that will take you to the places to get geared up" you're left to work that out for yourself through exploration and experimentation.

The "it's a sublime masterpiece" is just the usual epidemic of people lining up to fellate for-profit corporations that's inexplicably become a thing in recent years. But it's a very, very good game. Worth the full price without a doubt.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rodigan (??) Sword is so goddamn good and is exactly what I wanted for my build.

Not sure if it's different depending on your level but it came to me at +8. Now I've made it cold, which keeps good dex scaling and mama mia it's nice.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Which flail stinks?

I’m using the default one you get early but it feels like it has a lag on use, and also doesn’t do as much poise damage as you would think

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

went back to sellia crystal tunnel to get my revenge now that im a higher level and those homing missile lobster things are legit more difficult to fight that half the bosses in this game. like they literally never stop attacking.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

caldrax posted:

Ok, to each their own but... using the slot is *much* faster in my experience, takes a millisecond, whereas switching items can take a few precious seconds under pressure, and you risk using the wrong thing. Like I'm pretty sure they did the pouch slots specifically for the horse call, didn't they give the tutorial for it at the same time that you get the horse?

They did! Guess I'm just a sicko like that

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

roomtone posted:

so far the crafting system seems completely superfluous.

which is fine with me.

it's not necessary, but it does provide a few important things:

-unlimited weapon resins (damage buffs)
-unlimited summoning items
-unlimited runes by selling raisins etc

it really frees up the economy compared to other games and i love it. no farming humanity from rats!!

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 27, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair while people say that boss is supposed to make you explore the world the game actively shoving you that way is a bit of a mixed message on that

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

algebra testes posted:

You only get boss drops from bosses. You get souls from everything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got a +16 weapon and suddenly I feel like I can take on anything!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

Taking a break and naturally the first thing I do I click on a video about this game, but poo poo there's a ton of items I missed just hanging around 5 steps from the path I took when I went thru some of these areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9IsK8qhg4

Break cancelled.

turns out that even after spending 10 hours exploring before entering stormveil castle I missed an absolute shitload of stuff and places. time to go back and get some of this poo poo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

algebra testes posted:

Sold the first, I don't need an axe or fist weap for an int build.

Can't decide what I want from the 2nd. Staff or sorcery?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

If you dont want the boss weapons then thats the only other thing theyre good for.

I'm a collectibles freak so I never sell them like that, I get the boss weapons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also most boss souls can be transformed into weapons just like other From games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

blue squares posted:

yeah thats what I wrote. Spirit Ash plus a second NPC

Summoning an NPC is something you can only do rarely in specific places, they're a gold summon sign. They don't stop you from having an ash summon as well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Inzombiac posted:

Rodigan (??) Sword is so goddamn good and is exactly what I wanted for my build.

Not sure if it's different depending on your level but it came to me at +8. Now I've made it cold, which keeps good dex scaling and mama mia it's nice.

It comes at 8 and it also has a banging ash of war

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Need some help - I finally stumbled upon where to unlock using the Great Rune that I got from Godrick but I am sitting on a mountain of regular runes that I don't seem to be able to use (jump attack damage, etc)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yo I got ambushed at the round table what the gently caress was that about

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 27, 2022

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yo I got ambushed at the round table what the gently caress was that about

Seems like this would be an awesome thing to put in spoiler tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 28, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

mcmagic posted:

Do you have Nepheli with you? She makes it SO MUCH easier.
Yeah, her as well for sure, I tried summoning people but the first two died so I gave up, also there must be a huge demand for that boss since it was hard to find someone who didn't fail to join.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I don't feel *bad* as a INT build, especially now that I got the glintstone whetblade, but I feel like I don't have anything cool that makes me glad I'm my current build. A cold infused scythe with sword dance is nice though. I can't really find much in the way of cool and great spells and weapons though; while I see some amazing looking faith items.

Second rune bearer spoilers: The boss soul items are *such* a kick in the teeth, with a 60 and 70 int requirement for the spell and staff.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I went looking for the key to the castle and found the cool witch lady who don’t trust but who I’ve decided is my wife IRL and she didn’t have it

off to wandering again

Fixed

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Seriously :wtf:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I feel like the environment artists are savants in world design, create a beautiful space to fight a huge boss and go, "Oh, players can get stuck on the geometry?" I'm fighting the Erdtree Avatar in Caelid right now and it's terrible because there's rocks, roots, giant pots and it's fairly small I'm getting stuck on poo poo left and right that looks like I should be able to walk over it.

The "staff into ground, AOE explosion that summons 100% perfectly accurate tracking beams" attack is also really, really stupid.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Also I was going to write a post about how much I like how this game doesn't do the dumbass thing of restricting your movements or any actions whatsoever when trying to stealth how other games will auto-switch your moveset - in Elden Ring you can still do all the stealth moves you want whether you're detected or not cause Hey it's your playthrough idiot, wanna crouch in front of a boss? The world is your oyster

And then as I was running around the swamps in Caelid Torrent just automatically dead-stopped from full sprint and I got off of him and couldn't get back on was really confused and it was weird and then 15 seconds later I get a message that i was being invaded :rolleyes:

I GET IT that mounts are not allowed for multiplayer as that's a limitation of the system but MAN did that completely completely completely pull me out of it. Would have preferred an invasion message first but I'm guessing the invasion code is exactly the same as from Demon's Souls and there's prob a strict order they can have actions happen in

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sigher posted:

I feel like the environment artists are savants in world design, create a beautiful space to fight a huge boss and go, "Oh, players can get stuck on the geometry?" I'm fighting the Erdtree Avatar in Caelid right now and it's terrible because there's rocks, roots, giant pots and it's fairly small I'm getting stuck on poo poo left and right that looks like I should be able to walk over it.

The "staff into ground, AOE explosion that summons 100% perfectly accurate tracking beams" attack is also really, really stupid.

Fight it with a horse, those lasers can’t keep up with horse

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

A flyby post to say that this is the first FromSoft game I've played without consulting anything online. I'm just trundling through, getting bewildered and taking notes in an actual notebook like some thirteenth century scribe. It's absolutely wonderful.

Obviously going to consume everything I can after my first playthrough, but boy oh boy I'm enjoying the mystery.

Also lol @ this guy

https://twitter.com/Mark_Medina/status/1497947862998548486?t=1OqCpx-BEU40D_wHwnUX0g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Filthy Haiku posted:

I don't feel *bad* as a INT build, especially now that I got the glintstone whetblade, but I feel like I don't have anything cool that makes me glad I'm my current build. A cold infused scythe with sword dance is nice though. I can't really find much in the way of cool and great spells and weapons though; while I see some amazing looking faith items.

Second rune bearer spoilers: The boss soul items are *such* a kick in the teeth, with a 60 and 70 int requirement for the spell and staff.

Which items are these?