Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Need some help - I finally stumbled upon where to unlock using the Great Rune that I got from Godrick but I am sitting on a mountain of regular runes that I don't seem to be able to use (jump attack damage, etc)

Ok so the jump attack thing is a talisman. It's basically the same thing as a ring except you unlock more talisman slots by finding these items called talisman pouches.

Great runes just sit in your inventory and do nothing, until you use a Rune Arc consumable item which activates their special buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair while people say that boss is supposed to make you explore the world the game actively shoving you that way is a bit of a mixed message on that

You're never "shoved" that way. It's on you if a game gives you a giant unexplored map and a horse but the only thought is to follow the objective marker.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

batteries! posted:

You're never "shoved" that way. It's on you if a game gives you a giant unexplored map and a horse but the only thought is to follow the objective marker.

Thats exactly what shoving is?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My most recent "what the gently caress is going on" moment was in Stormveil Castle in the room where you meet Rogier. Except when I discovered that room I was being attacked by the big knight and his bodyguard that are patrolling outside and had no idea it was a "safe room", so I was fighting them and making some distance and suddenly my weapons just didn't work anymore. Of course that didn't stop them from coming in and destroying me while I was confused and worried that my controller was broken. Seems like maybe they should have made safe rooms actually safe and not let enemies follow you in there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

Back in the day I played Pool of Radiance on the C64. If you followed the quests in a linear fashion, you'd get curb-stomped by a Troll group trying to clear the slums (literally the first quest in the game.) Games were different back then, so the prevailing attitude was "I'll go somewhere else and finish those guys off when I'm stronger." In fact, doing so was considered common sense, and I don't remember reports of people getting stuck on what could be considered a wall.

Since then games have become, by and large, curated treadmills where you're intended to experience the game in linear fashion as the developers intended, i.e. why are you in Westfall, stay in Elwynn Forest until you're bigger, etc. So someone who's been raised on those kinds of games, a game like this comes out and feels awful.

Until you either 1) make the mental adjustment, or 2) remember that games used to always be like this. There was a time before RPGs were a straight line, when having a major boss 6 inches from the tutorial dungeon was the rule and not the exception.

I'm not that good at these games, and I've still managed to beat every boss I've found in the starter areas so far, and killed the first 2 mandatory bosses. Maybe I was overleveled and overgeared for it, but that's one of the things that's so great about the game, you have the freedom to actually create your own difficulty by using summons, different tactics, different gear, even get someone to help you if you're truly in dire straits. And the mount turns some of the overworld bosses into GTA drive-by shootings.

I still haven't killed any of the bosses in those instanced areas in the circles, although I got one down to 10%, so I'm either not good enough or not equipped enough (probably both.)

It's not that often that you can find a game with legitimate difficulty but that also gives you the freedom and the tools to work it out and be able to surmount the challenges it throws at you. I think that's where most of the praise is coming from, that balance where a little extra grinding and adjustment can turn the tide. But the onus is on the player to do that - instead of a mission giver saying "Oh, it looks like you failed the boss, here are 12 miniquests that will take you to the places to get geared up" you're left to work that out for yourself through exploration and experimentation.

The "it's a sublime masterpiece" is just the usual epidemic of people lining up to fellate for-profit corporations that's inexplicably become a thing in recent years. But it's a very, very good game. Worth the full price without a doubt.

:aloom:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok so the jump attack thing is a talisman. It's basically the same thing as a ring except you unlock more talisman slots by finding these items called talisman pouches.

Great runes just sit in your inventory and do nothing, until you use a Rune Arc consumable item which activates their special buff.

Thanks but i'm more confused now - I have a bunch of these little Talisman guys in my inventory and no idea what is on or off or even if I have any Talisman pouches

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
thops' barrier joining a long and proud lineage of janky and mostly useless spell deflection effects

beep by grandpa posted:

Thanks but i'm more confused now - I have a bunch of these little Talisman guys in my inventory and no idea what is on or off or even if I have any Talisman pouches
the spot(s) to equip talismans is below where your armor pieces go.

Orv
May 4, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Talismans go between gear and equipment on the equipment screen.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Thats exactly what shoving is?

No, it isn't. Shoving you to the first boss would be locking you out of the region until you get that poo poo done. There is absolutely no pressure involved and all the indication you get is a handful of NPC lines and the bonfire arrows.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Fight it with a horse, those lasers can’t keep up with horse

I don't care all that much for the horse combat for larger bosses, I'd rather have my dodge and normal attacks. I don't mind attack too much, there's cover and you can circle around and dodge the beams, but it's just such a waste of time. Doubled with the boss making GBS threads out toxin blood or whatever that blends in perfectly with the pink sand and orange sky. It's a lot of area denial with beams and getting a DOT on you that I'm just sitting around for better positioning.

Also the whole "pick up your experience after death or lose it" thing is really stupid in a open world title where I can easily be in an area I'm not leveled for and want to go try something else on death. In Bloodborne and Sekiro I feel it was definitely warranted, but here it sucks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

apparently the reason that you only get 70% of runes back from your bloodstain in stormveil castle is because that "go the other way, the guards won't know you're coming tehe" is stealing them. if you kill him you get them back and will go back to recovering 100% runes after death again.

(also he is apparently the guy who locks the door behind you in that one room, because it doesn't hapoen if he's dead)

What the fuuuuuck I must have 10k+ souls with this rear end in a top hat by now I was wondering what was going on

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Where the hell is the pot dude? I'm 32 hours in and haven't seen him yet and now I'm seeing that you're supposed to talk to him before killing godrick?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

batteries! posted:

No, it isn't. Shoving you to the first boss would be locking you out of the region until you get that poo poo done. There is absolutely no pressure involved and all the indication you get is a handful of NPC lines and the bonfire arrows.

Nah that’s not shoving that’s rail roading and I feel less games do that now a days.

Hell realistically this game holds your hand way more than any of the other souls borne games.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Alexander moves to a cave somewhere after you rescue him. He may be there. (I can't remember where it is though)

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Frankston posted:

Where the hell is the pot dude? I'm 32 hours in and haven't seen him yet and now I'm seeing that you're supposed to talk to him before killing godrick?

go south past the bridge of sacrifice, get to the grace spot with the merchant nearby and find the spirit wind jump point to go up the cliff. he should be up there

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah that’s not shoving that’s rail roading and I feel less games do that now a days.

Hell realistically this game holds your hand way more than any of the other souls borne games.

That's true, not just the critical path, even the NPCs can get real chatty.

quote:

Alexander moves to a cave somewhere after you rescue him. He may be there. (I can't remember where it is though)

He goes to Gael Tunnel and waits there until you unlock the door. No idea if he goes there without being freed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol I just realized that the "Hero's Grave" underneath the tutorial cave is a TYPE of dungeon, like "Catacombs" or whatever. There are more, and that was the easy one

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

the spot(s) to equip talismans is below where your armor pieces go.

Orv posted:

Talismans go between gear and equipment on the equipment screen.
Omfg lmao ty I never ever noticed this slot my brain just glossed over it thinking they were ranged/pouches or poo poo now I see these are ring slots

This rules I love you 😍

In my defense! given the way weapon arts were described very early on I think I was expecting these to be configured thru Grace points once I found an equivalent reagent to use them

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Anyone have a favorite strength weapon so far? I really like the bricklayer mace or whatever but feel weird upgrading something that doesn’t seem like it should be that good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How the heck do I get down to this part of Stormveil Castle? It's obviously connected to the one-way door in the room with the nearby grace, but I can't see any other way in.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
That's funny. I'm playing this on PS4pro and earlier today I wasn't too impressed with how the game looked. Came back this evening and fiddled with the brightness and saturation a bit, and that coupled with the fact there is no longer any glare on the TV has changed everything 100% for the better, this game is great looking. I don't normally play fantasy RPGs but this will be one I spend a ton of time on just due to how cool the art style is.

Although I have a tendency to be stupid-bad at games that require tight blocking timing so hopefully I don't get too frustrated.

Any must-do's for a souls-newbie samurai currently dicking around at the stormhill shack area? How do I deal with the anxiety of having to lose all me runes every time I die to strong enemies? Where should I go for some weapons and armor?

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 28, 2022

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Where is everyone getting their Erdtree Flowers from (for summoning other players)? I go to the staring area and do a loop on my horse.

Also I was 20 or so hours into this game before realising you don't have to hold down the sprint button for your horse to sprint.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Leo posted:

Anyone have a favorite strength weapon so far? I really like the bricklayer mace or whatever but feel weird upgrading something that doesn’t seem like it should be that good.

Great club!!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Leo posted:

I really like the rusty anchor. It rules and only takes 26 str.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just ran into Dog T-Rexes... what the gently caress. lmao, these enemy design is the absolute best.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

How the heck do I get down to this part of Stormveil Castle? It's obviously connected to the one-way door in the room with the nearby grace, but I can't see any other way in.

I think thats behind a swordkey door

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Leo posted:

Bloodhound's Fang (curved greatsword) has been carrying me thru this game like crazy. Its L2 is really great too

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

question about leyndell does it not have sites of grace within the city proper?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I don't know if I'm just breaking the game or what, but has anyone else noticed that co-op seems to be tied to certain, sometimes arbitrary, bosses? Me and my friend killed the tree sentinel and then couldn't summon in the first area anymore. Even when we went down to the nearby swamp to try and summon one another to fight the boss down there. So for anyone else who might be playing with friends: make sure you clear out an area before you beat bosses.

Leo posted:

The Greatsword. But I just found the Zweihander so I'm gonna upgrade that and see how it do.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Seems like this would be an awesome thing to put in spoiler tags

It doesn't work unless you both do it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

goferchan posted:

Lol I just realized that the "Hero's Grave" underneath the tutorial cave is a TYPE of dungeon, like "Catacombs" or whatever. There are more, and that was the easy one

I had the boss bug out and just stand still when I got it to 50% health, it let me wail on it. It's okay because I fought an elemental version of it earlier that didn't bug out and had way more hp

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

batteries! posted:

He goes to Gael Tunnel and waits there until you unlock the door. No idea if he goes there without being freed.

He does, I found him there without ever having talked to him.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGVE55IVH0
this weapon is loving sick

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think thats behind a swordkey door

I've already unlocked both of the sword key doors I've found in there, nada.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Seems like this would be an awesome thing to put in spoiler tags

Why would you quote it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sigher posted:

I just ran into Dog T-Rexes... what the gently caress. lmao, these enemy design is the absolute best.

I was chatting to the old lady who was so happy to read my fortune and then BAM T-Rex Dog out of nowhere :lol:

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Can you enable online but disable invasions? I like the messaging and shadows of other players but don't feel like dealing with other players.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I summoned an int guy who had a glowing purple shortsword/dagger and he absolutely wrecked with it

Does anyone know what gesture I'm supposed to use in the lake around the center of Weeping Peninsula?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

PageMaster posted:

Can you enable online but disable invasions? I like the messaging and shadows of other players but don't feel like dealing with other players.

I think you can only get invaded if you're actively co-op'ing or activate a certain item? I've been playing for 32 hours online and have yet to be invaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A bit of advice for people still early in the game. I'll put it under spoilers but this is some just-after-Margit stuff.

Please, please, please find Nepheli near the Stormveil Castle courtyard before you kill Godrick. Exhaust her dialogue, and then summon her for the fight. Then immediately go to Roundtable Hold and find her there.

If you don't do this, you will be permanently locked out of this game's version of Havel's Ring.

I found this out the hard way and I would like to spare others the sadness.