Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

They're old MiGs and Suhokis that various former Warsaw Pact nations inherited. They still fly them as reserve units, so they're not exactly mothballed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

a podcast for cats posted:

This video kept popping back in my mind all day long today and I ended up deciding it was done by someone with both experience and talent in acting. All skills are valuable.

I’ve met a few real killers. As In ex special forces who have killed people. This dude has the same vibe. He has a taste for it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Willo567 posted:

Honest question, how in the hell do we stop escalating from here on out with this war if it keeps going on?
....If either Russia backs down after the SWIFT bans take effect, or the current conflict stays at it's current heat, or whenever ukraine is occupied. These are guesses.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

surf rock posted:

What on earth

I literally don't understand how that's possible unless they're being launched from and operated by Polish pilots or whatever; how would they have even made it to a Ukrainian air field by now?

I understand the concern of how supplies might get through by ground. But these are literally planes so I would assume they just . . . flew them to the Ukrainian air fields?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Honest question, how in the hell do we stop escalating from here on out with this war if it keeps going on?

Nato is not going to attack russia and they’re not going to attack nato. Check out mutually assured destruction. Also check out how overextended they are invading just one country

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Omon Ra posted:

Putin is probably the richest person alive and has a personal nuclear-weapon state, he doesn't need any additional material gains. He wants to leave his mark in history.

All he had to do was chill in his $1.3 billion house with its own hookah bar/strip club.

I guess money can't buy happiness. :(

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OctaMurk posted:

I understand the concern of how supplies might get through by ground. But these are literally planes so I would assume they just . . . flew them to the Ukrainian air fields?

Who flew them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

And they had trained Ukranian fighter pilots in other countries ready to go?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Who flew them.

bus in some Ukrainian pilots, and the ukrainian pilots fly them back?

i honestly don't understand all the hubbub over HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

How is this not uh, like an alliance?

I assume it's much like US military aid, where it's in-kind aid and the Poles fly a couple of Migs over the border, they quickly paint over the Polish AF roundel, and then Brussels pays the Poles. Maybe Kryzystof "resigns" from the Polish AF and "volunteers" to join the Ukranian AF. This is usually how you run it so there's some kind of deniability.

If they're owned by an EU member state, operated by an EU member state's uniformed military personnel, that is uhh a provocation for sure.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Willo567 posted:

That's not up to the West, it's up to Russia.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Ghost took them there on the Midnight Express

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OctaMurk posted:

That quickly? It's possible especially if you helicopter people around I suppose.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Buses are notorious for not being planes, and as such take longer than a couple of hours

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Regarding Russia joining NATO in the nineties, it didn’t happen not because the West was evil - people don’t remember that the last soviet units left eastern Europe in 1992, and we’ve had the balkan war kicking right at that moment, with Russia actively playing a counter role to the west. It didn’t happen because it wasn’t an option then.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

That quickly? It's possible especially if you helicopter people around I suppose.

this move may have been planned well before it was announced on international news lol

and yes, helicopters are a thing

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

LionArcher posted:

I’ve met a few real killers. As In ex special forces who have killed people. This dude has the same vibe. He has a taste for it.

IIRC he's a leader of the right-liberal Ukrainian political party whose platform boils down to "minimum social spending, maximum guns," so him being actually excited to get shooting Russians would not be surprising.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

TheRat posted:

I guess it would be possible for some Ukrainian pilots to cross the border into Poland and pick up a shiny a new Mig. Or god forbid a NATO pilot is flying it over into Ukraine. Regardless, I really wonder how the logistics of getting these planes to the Ukrainian airforce is supposed to work.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

TheRat posted:

They presumably have Ukrainian pilots whose previous planes were destroyed on the ground or in the air with a successful bailout and recovery.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

OctaMurk posted:

Well, it was announced three hours ago. It just seems, like, half a day faster than I would've imagined as a best-case scenario for turnaround speed. I guess it's possible that the EU already told them they were going to do this days ago and that they did actually have time to bring in Ukrainian pilots.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

surf rock posted:

What on earth

I literally don't understand how that's possible unless they're being launched from and operated by Polish pilots or whatever; how would they have even made it to a Ukrainian air field by now?

ukraine's airspace has at no point been completely closed off, nor have all of their air capabilities been totally shut down, either. That Russia didn't take the time to very thoroughly destroy Ukraine's ability to get planes in the air is one of the bigger mysteries of the Russian invasion.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

TheRat posted:

Ukrainians have lost multiple planes in this conflict with successful ejections by the pilots. I presume they currently have more pilots than planes.

The interesting time comes when/if they still need more help and we run out of compatible planes/ they run out of pilots. I think we would absolutely start handing over F-16:s with volunteer pilots who get given Ukrainian citizenship. The Soviets did it in Korea, so it's absolutely considered kosher, right?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mokotow posted:

Let’s separate a few things, put them on a timeline = first, there’s taking the coast, that’s a forgone conclusion, it’ll happen. Next there’s taking the cities in the East and up to Kiev - this can happen in a few weeks, but more than likely in a few months. Taking all of Ukraine - don’t count on it in ‘22.

But now let’s focus on vocabulary - taking is not winning. Taking only means an occupation, that generates non-stop, ongoing attrition from partisans, hundreds of thousands of them. This will go on for years and frankly won’t end without genocide.

All these weapons, big and small, will potentially be in use for months or years. Some will fall to Russians, sure, but we won’t see Russians weapons stocks suddenly being enlarged by all the western weapons pumped to Ukraine.

Yeah it's exactly this. Especially weapons like javelins and manpads that can be easily hidden by partisans and used in ambushes.

Totally agree re the partisan resistance too. This isn't Iraq, where the occupiers were deposing a tyrannical and unpopular dictator, and the vast majority of insurgents were fringe religious extremists. This is a people fighting for the survival of their nation. And there are a lot more people, and a lot more weapons. A Russian occupation will see more and more casualties, until either the Russian people get sick enough of it to rise up and depose Putin, or Putin takes the decision to start genociding Ukrainians.

The only hope for this war is that the rising up happens before that stage.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Quorum posted:

IIRC he's a leader of the right-liberal Ukrainian political party whose platform boils down to "minimum social spending, maximum guns," so him being actually excited to get shooting Russians would not be surprising.

Ah no, Milkshake Ukrainian.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume it's much like US military aid, where it's in-kind aid and the Poles fly a couple of Migs over the border, they quickly paint over the Polish AF roundel, and then Brussels pays the Poles. Maybe Kryzystof "resigns" from the Polish AF and "volunteers" to join the Ukranian AF. This is usually how you run it so there's some kind of deniability.

If they're owned by an EU member state, operated by an EU member state's uniformed military personnel, that is uhh a provocation for sure.

It’s “Krzysztof “, thanks.

(my actual name)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mokotow posted:

It’s “Krzysztof “, thanks.

(my actual name)

Ugh I knew I spelled it wrong. I know a Krzysztof in real life, he's a good dude. You are, too.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

ethanol posted:

Nato is not going to attack russia and they’re not going to attack nato. Check out mutually assured destruction. Also check out how overextended they are invading just one country

I'm more worried about Putin's mental state

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I'd like to think this translators reaction to Zelenskyy's speech is emblematic about how the EU feels. Ukraine is getting all the feels. For Mr. Putin. Nothing.

https://twitter.com/ianbateson/status/1497960043148419072?cxt=HHwWgIC5uaCu6ckpAAAA

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

TheRat posted:

Buses are notorious for not being planes, and as such take longer than a couple of hours
People can organize poo poo like this behind the scenes before they announce it to the world y’know

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That tweet sounds like nonsense. No way would they fly these planes over the border to begin with. And there wasn't even enough time to repaint the livery, for crying out loud

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
A short of shooting war escalation that I could see happening would be western countries using the Ukraine "international battalions" they announced as a way of laundering paramilitaries or special forces into the country.

Like suddenly a bunch of former military employed by "security contractors" decide that they are inspired to join the call and fight for Ukraine. Private citizens, nothing we can do. :shrug:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Tuna-Fish posted:

Ukrainians have lost multiple planes in this conflict with successful ejections by the pilots. I presume they currently have more pilots than planes.

The interesting time comes when/if they still need more help and we run out of compatible planes/ they run out of pilots. I think we would absolutely start handing over F-16:s with volunteer pilots who get given Ukrainian citizenship. The Soviets did it in Korea, so it's absolutely considered kosher, right?
I'm not holding out hope for some Flying Tigers volunteer shenanigans... but it would rule.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cicero posted:

People can organize poo poo like this behind the scenes before they announce it to the world y’know

The EU? Actually doing something proactively before reaching a consensus? Please

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

That tweet sounds like nonsense. No way would they fly these planes over the border to begin with. And there wasn't even enough time to repaint the livery, for crying out loud

do you think they made a snap decision right at the time of the tweet, and there was literally no preparation done for this beforehand?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1498075682475229187

Protests and now burning vans.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ugh I knew I spelled it wrong. I know a Krzysztof in real life, he's a good dude. You are, too.

Don’t feel bad! Look at that monster of a name, 90% of people get it wrong!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Maybe I'm reading too much into these tweets fron this evening, but at this pace, there will be Swan Lake on Russian TV next week.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tuna-Fish posted:

Lol the loving Russians did it with tanks and SAM systems in Donbass eight years ago too.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

It is happening a bit sudden, it's only been a few hours in between the announcement they were getting them and the announcement that they're already on the way. (which happened right I was in the middle of my last post too!)

But yeah if I had to guess pilots that might have been sitting things out since their plane might have gotten knocked out in the initial bombardment just went to a nondescript Polish airfield, picked them up, and already on the way to wherever airstrip or highway the rest are hiding out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

MikeC posted:

Given the fact that I have not justified anything but merely given you the historical background to show the consistency in Putin's actions, I can only surmise that this is a 'you' problem.

The problem is you're drawing arbitrary lines in the sand of history. I mean I could just as easily point to the scarring effects of 20+ million people dying in World War 2 for the USSR, or the deep apathy and resignation to having autocratic corrupt leaders due to never having anything but that.

You're basically saying "causality exists". That events have long term effects that ripple outwards through time. Well, no poo poo.

I mean I could just as easily say:

Matthew Perry opens Japan -> Japan humiliates Russia in a war -> Tsars fall out of favor -> Revolution happens -> USSR

Matthew Perry got Ukraine invaded!

Vietnom nom nom fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 28, 2022