Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I guess we're about to find out if the Ukrainian Air Force has any ship killer missiles or airdrop torpedoes.

They probably got a few in the hospitality packages if nothing else.

There's unconfirmed reports of a Ukrainian minelayer being active in the area over the last few days, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Switzerland, after a long history of housing the assets of bad actors, might actually follow through with some kind of asset freeze?
https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1498057338749472770?s=20&t=KuiD8ootT71leID2bXHt5A

I saw that there were some pretty big protests in Bern, maybe they'll actually do something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/Faute15/status/1498075046216089609?t=VjBiid7Os5lfp-6wFLwcDA&s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

People on Twitter are freaking out about this:

https://twitter.com/Global_Mil_Info/status/1498074716246052864?t=Vs63yjadCC1YDuXCYmq3eg&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hosed up if true

also lmao forever

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Big if true.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's a they're gonna nuke Kyiv rumor / hysteria, not a they're giving up one. I think.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

It could just be propaganda, but was there any update on the negotiations that took place on the Belarus border today?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

aphid_licker posted:

It's a they're gonna nuke Kyiv rumor / hysteria, not a they're giving up one. I think.

Wasn't there something about Kyiv being the cultural heart/center of the Russian "Empire" and Putin destroying (let alone glassing) it would probably do even more harm than he already has at home?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wasn't there something about Kyiv being the cultural heart/center of the Russian "Empire" and Putin glassing it would probably do even more harm than he already has at home?

While yes, but in for a penny, in for a pound

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

While yes, but in for a penny, in for a pound

In this case it's "in for a penny, in for a ruble, and now I have two pennies."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wasn't there something about Kyiv being the cultural heart/center of the Russian "Empire" and Putin destroying (let alone glassing) it would probably do even more harm than he already has at home?

It's normal for people to freak out when a nuclear power is in a war that's going kinda poorly. I don't think it's the most likely scenario rn, to understate a bit. I mean we don't even know if the halting / withdrawal thing actually happened.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

aphid_licker posted:

I'm mostly seeing people talk about massive bombing campaigns and hoping for no nukes.

Everyone seems to agree that it likely means new levels of destruction for the city.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah that's certainly possible. Hope it doesn't come to pass

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"Fine! We'll just invest more money into China! They'd never do anything like this!"

McNally posted:

In this case it's "in for a penny, in for a ruble, and now I have two pennies."

Kopek.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I may be fooling myself but it's not like Putin has a "nuke" button on his desk that just instantly fires missiles. If he lost it enough to order that, the people below would still have to agree to carry it out and it's hard for me to imagine the generals thinking yeah, let's end Russia and/or civilization over Putin being butthurt that Ukrainians aren't greeting them as liberators. I would think that order would more likely end with no more Putin than an launch.

Here's hoping we don't have to find out, anyway.

E: I'm thinking about when the people under Nixon decided he was too erratic and they wouldn't follow orders to use nukes in Vietnam and hoping there are Russians doing the same.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 28, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

No, I'm saying the ruble is worthless lol check the exchange rate.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1498088791604891649?s=20&t=jICng61UkVZ8PWA5mFTWeQ

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm assuming the rank and file Russian troops have been on a complete media blackout and have no idea what's about to happen to their economy but I'm sure most of the brass must be getting the sense that perhaps Russia is heading straight for an iceberg and their captain is ordering the ship to speed up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

McNally posted:

lmao gently caress i didn't think it was literally a penny

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I may be fooling myself but it's not like Putin has a "nuke" button on his desk that just instantly fires missiles. If he lost it enough to order that, the people below would still have to agree to carry it out and it's hard for me to imagine the generals thinking yeah, let's end Russia and/or civilization over Putin being butthurt that Ukrainians aren't greeting them as liberators. I would think that order would more likely end with no more Putin than an launch.

Kind of been wondering the same. If Vlad orders a general to open up the canned sunshine over Kyiv, or anywhere else for that matter, I wonder if his generals would carry out the order, or if someone would step up and put him down. And in that case, who takes his place? Who's to say his successor wouldn't be someone who looks at Putin's legacy and thinks that he was too soft?

I'm worrying about second- and third-order effects. Russia's strategic position is going to be worse no matter what the immediate outcome of its war of choice in Ukraine is, and I worry about how they'll react in weeks to come. I'm not some person freaking out because they read a Reddit post about nook-u-ler war, but I also think that we're on pretty uncharted ground right now with no clear outcomes visible.

Not gonna hype BAF and I's dumb little doomsday prepper's thread anymore than it has been in the past few pages, but I'm going to Costco tomorrow and buying more dog food and taking out some cash to put in my safe. I live in DC anyhow, if nukes start flying I'm hopefully dead in the opening milliseconds of what will be the world's shortest and worst war.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

McNally posted:

Buy a ton of rubles now while they're worthless.

It's Iraqi dinar all over again but might stand a chance of recovering if Putin falls into a river or whatever in the next few days.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
e: lol ^

So what you're saying is that we should BUY RUBLES NOW?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Maybe wait until the UN emergency session is over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I live in DC anyhow, if nukes start flying I'm hopefully dead in the opening milliseconds of what will be the world's shortest and worst war.

Yeah I'm currently right next to one of the USAF's major bases so I don't worry about total nuclear war, I'm not going to have to deal with the consequences. :v:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Naked Bear posted:

e: lol ^

So what you're saying is that we should BUY RUBLES NOW?

tomorrow, with my meagre public sector wages, i will buy half of russian economy and will become an oligarch. just you wait

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Apparently rubles were only worth a penny before all this kicked off, so maybe wait to buy rubles until tomorrow when everything really goes to poo poo.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
bold of you both of assuming the dud rate for russian icbms isn't like 50%, and you have a 6.2% percent chance of surviving.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ZombieApostate posted:

Apparently rubles were only worth a penny before all this kicked off, so maybe wait to buy rubles until tomorrow when everything really goes to poo poo.

Yeah, they were ~0.015 before their markets closed, and 0.012 now after the freeze.

Xakura posted:

bold of you both of assuming the dud rate for russian icbms isn't like 50%, and you have a 6.2% percent chance of surviving.

https://clip.cafe/the-good-shepherd-2006/soviet-power-a-myth/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

as good as Chernobyl was, i'm starting to think the most accurate line in the entire thing was Gorbachev angrily declaring 'OUR POWER COMES FROM THE PERCEPTION OF OUR POWER.'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Xakura posted:

It's a shame because when I was a kid there were a few other real big targets here so my whole area was just going to be loving saturated with nukes. Wouldn't matter if there were duds. Now there's really just the one target.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Xakura posted:

UA chances have drastic gone up, 141 2/3 % chance of surviving. The numbers don't lie, and they spell doom for Putin.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Kind of been wondering the same. If Vlad orders a general to open up the canned sunshine over Kyiv, or anywhere else for that matter, I wonder if his generals would carry out the order, or if someone would step up and put him down. And in that case, who takes his place? Who's to say his successor wouldn't be someone who looks at Putin's legacy and thinks that he was too soft?

What exactly is harder than ending human civilization

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
I think I read somewhere that the Ruble is less valuable than Robux, an in-game currency for the game Roblox.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Grand Fromage posted:

E: I'm thinking about when the people under Nixon decided he was too erratic and they wouldn't follow orders to use nukes in Vietnam and hoping there are Russians doing the same.

Or when this allegedly happened literally just over a year ago with :smugdon:.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jokers Gamble posted:

I think I read somewhere that the Ruble is less valuable than Robux, an in-game currency for the game Roblox.

Clearly Russia needs to launch a computer game and offer cosmetic dlcs buyable only in rubles

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jokers Gamble posted:

Isn't that a meaningless comparison? One unit of my currency is less valuable than one tf2 crate key, but more valuable than one unit of japanese yen.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

aphid_licker posted:

Clearly Russia needs to launch a computer game and offer cosmetic dlcs buyable only in rubles

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/513446169976766465/947503892260851733/Video-1.mov

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
BREAKING: Russian National Bank announces Putcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

BREAKING: Russian National Bank announces Putcoin.

putcoin puts are solid gold