Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
So I really love the gator pinball game. My highest score was only 750k, but I still had a ton of fun with it. It's simple enough, and very cute. Having a score based game is really great, since I have a lot of small pockets of 10-15 minute downtime at work and I love being able to pull out my Retroid and get a few balls in. My only gripe is that the score accrues so slowly, if you wanna set a high-score it can take foreverrrrr. I expected the sounds and music to grate after a while, but they never did. Simple enough that they don't start to get on my nerves, which is saying something for this kind of game.

The other two games were a bust for me. Mole-Mania is obviously a very well crafted puzzle game, but it was just a bit too slow and tedious for my own taste. Maybe playing it at 1.25 speed or something would have helped me with it, but I bounced off pretty quickly because of that. The art was really good, though, and I was immediately impressed with it for a gameboy game. For the Cruis'n game, I did two races and binned it. It's terrible and floaty and awful, nothing really redeemable here for my own personal taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Here's our current leaderboard for Revenge of the Gator!
Scores marked with a * don't have photographic evidence but unless you're shooting for the #1 spot I'm happy to take everyone at their word ;)

I'm going to (somewhat arbitrarily) set 24/02/22 11:59PM GMT as the cut off point for the score competition - winner gets to pick one of next month's games, so this gives them a few days before the end of the month to think about what game they want to put forward.

1. Manky: 1223910
  2. baronvonsabre: 1100080
  3. Switched.on: 750000*
  4. ThePostman: "think I broke 500000 once"*
  5. loose-fish: "just under 500000"*
  6. Mode 7: 409970*
  7. Humphreys: 334590
  8. bowmore: 300000*
  9. pig labeled 3: 260760
  10. TheHoosier: 125000*
  11. njsykora: 124000*
  12. Looper: 65860

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm v happy everyone is enjoying revenge of gator

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

bowmore posted:

I'm v happy everyone is enjoying revenge of gator

I hate this table so much. Access to 3 shouldnt go away because you drop to 1.

I'll probably break 1M this weekend. :negative:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Heartbreaking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Silver lining, I’m jealous you have a teal Gameboy. The best color.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
I don't even know what to say right now. Over 700k of this one was from the first ball, which I also got an extra from.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Wohoo, finally broke 500k! Great pick, there's something nice about a straightforward table like this that doesn't bury you in weird gimmicks.

I was also surprised by the high production value of Mole Mania but the mechanics didn't grab me.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
This mornings run off to a much better start

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh drat is that the numero uno?

God I want to do a teal gameboy restomod now.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
I'm done with this game. Rip my 3m dreams

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m calling it at 460,850 but I’m digging pinball again and now I’m playing a little Kirby and Pokémon pinball here and there.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

HELL yeah! Nice work!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

leper khan posted:

God drat, nice work!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Just over an hour until our cut off time for the high score comp and I feel pretty safe saying leper khan has this one - if anyone challenges them it certainly won't be me, I still can't break 500K :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mode 7 posted:

Just over an hour until our cut off time for the high score comp and I feel pretty safe saying leper khan has this one - if anyone challenges them it certainly won't be me, I still can't break 500K :v:

:(:respek::(

Can’t wait for next month’s games though. These (2) were good!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Mole Mania has been my "fill 10 minutes" game all month - I haven't got through it yet and given how the next few days look I probably won't finish it before the month's out, but it's been great fun. I'm about half way through world 6 and have had to resort to Youtube solutions for about 5 "rooms" across the game so far, but even beyond Feb I'll carry on until I finish it. Agree with what someone said earlier in the thread that the bonus rooms feel completely off-pace with the rest of the game, but just wanted to say thanks for putting it on my radar :)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For the people who liked Mole Mania, if you haven't tried them, you might also like the Adventures of Lolo games. They're not exactly the same, but similarish enough you might find some enjoyment there too.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

For the people who liked Mole Mania, if you haven't tried them, you might also like the Adventures of Lolo games. They're not exactly the same, but similarish enough you might find some enjoyment there too.

One of the NES games I threw against the wall as a child. And then picked up the shattered remains and plugged it back in.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks everyone for your participation this month!

I've got leper khan's excellent pick for next month, and have consulted the RNG oracles and divined our random game for March - it's going to be better than Cruis'n!

Just need to make a final call on my pick and I'll have a post up some time today.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Stoked!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mode 7 posted:

Thanks everyone for your participation this month!

I've got leper khan's excellent pick for next month, and have consulted the RNG oracles and divined our random game for March - it's going to be better than Cruis'n!

Just need to make a final call on my pick and I'll have a post up some time today.
Your post feels devious with the crok avatar

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Your post feels devious with the crok avatar

:grin:

It's not Croc GBC but I'm sure RNG will bring it to us eventually

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

:siren:March is Game Boy Color month!:siren:

Both leper khan and myself have picked GBC games for this month. Delightfully, our random game pick this month has both an original Game Boy release and a Game Boy Color re-release that is the same game with a) the magic of colour and b) better difficulty options.

Let's take a look at our games for March.

leper khan's pick - Mr. Driller (GBC)

The kick-rear end puzzle series Mr. Driller got its start in arcades in 1999, originally intended by designer Yasuhito Nagaoka to be Dig Dug 3. A blend of Dig Dug and a block puzzle game like Columns, players control their little drilling avatar and drill their way down through a series of coloured blocks. If a group of blocks is all the same colour, drilling out one will remove all of them, creating space for you to move through. Any blocks above that empty space however will start to fall down, potentially linking up with other blocks of the same colour to allow you to start chaining large combos, but also threatening you with a swift death by crushing should you be caught in the way. Additionally players also have to contend with their O2 meter that slowly decreases as they drill, having to prioritise certain routes to snag oxygen capsules that will let them keep going.

This leads to a great balance of the player needing to drill quickly, but carefully - careless drilling will get you crushed, or trapped in a position where you need to drill though an "X" block that will rapidly deplete your O2 meter.

A copy of the manual for Mr. Driller can be found here:
https://archive.org/details/NintendoGameBoyColorManuals/Mr.%20Driller%20%28USA%29/

The Random Pick - Mr. Nutz (GB) / Mr. Nutz (GBC)

To be entirely transparent here, the RNG selected the Game Boy version of Mr. Nutz. Some looking into the game revealed that the Game Boy Color version wasn't a different game in the series but is in fact the same game just re-released for the GBC with better, colour graphics and some modifications to the difficulty by allowing you to start with more lives/continues than the original DMG game. Given that the games aren't distinct, I think it makes sense for us to just knock both versions out at the same time - feel free to play whichever one you like, or both!

A project spawned off the back of the closure of Ocean France, artist Philippe Dessoly and programmer Pierre Adane decided that they'd work on developing a platform game for the Amiga. Ocean Software instead wanted to publish it on consoles for both profit reasons and the fear of piracy on the Amiga.

Mr. Nutz (the original working title was "Squirrel's Game" before it was changed to "Mr. Nuts" which was rejected by Ocean Software, so it became "Mr. Nutz" as the far superior "Mr. Deez" would have been too ahead of its time I guess) is one of the many, many, many also-ran mascot platformers of the 90s. Originally a SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis release in 93/94, the game saw ports to the Game Boy and of all things the Sega Channel, with a much later 1999 port to the Game Boy Color and a 2004 GBA remake. (Ironically despite never receiving the original game, the Amiga eventually received the only sequel - Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad. This was meant to be ported to the Mega Drive as Mr. Nutz 2 but was never released - a playable build is apparently out there.)

Given that the designers originally intended this to be an Amiga release, I am expecting some euro-as-hell platforming here, though thankfully it doesn't look like you press up to jump or collect 287 spriggans per level to open the exit. I will confess though the spritework is lovely for the Game Boy, even in the monochrome original version, and critical reactions at the time seemed to peg it as a 7/10 platformer so I remain hopeful this will be playable.

I haven't had any luck finding a manual online - I suspect we won't really need it.

Mode 7's pick - Legend of the River King 2 (GBC)

I thought I'd round out this month's selections with something a little slower paced and lesser known - playing one of the games in this series has been on my to do list for a while!

One of the black, dual-mode carts that will also work on an original Game Boy, Legend of the River King 2 (in Japan, Kawa no Nushi Tsuri 4) is the second Game Boy Color entry for Victor Interactive Software's fishing RPG series. Frequently compared to the Harvest Moon series, the Legend of the River King 2 sees you hunting down the two halves of the Heavenly Stone that have transformed into fish. You will accomplish this by fishing, catching bugs, fishing, diving for clams, fishing, and punching wildlife that wants to eat you in the face to make it go away.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a manual for the second game. What I have found though is a delightful fansite for the Harvest Moon and River King series, which gives me deep pangs of nostalgia because it feels like this sort of content is pretty rare on the internet these days. This has some basic tips about how the game functions, as well as a full walkthrough if anyone gets stuck: https://fogu.com/rk2/index.html

The game has some interesting wrinkles. Notably, you have two different characters that you can start the game as - although their paths converge and they cover all the same content, they'll tackle the early game areas in a different order. Additionally there used to be link cable functionality that would not only let you trade fish with other Legend of the River King 2 players, but also allow you to swap fish and produce between this game and Harvest Moon 2 on the GBC!

So there we have it, our games for March! Enjoy!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i've never played mr. nutz on the gameboy, but i've played the snes and megadrive versions. among europlatformers it's probably the best one, unlike other europlatformers the controls are really smooth and precise, there's also a lot of secrets to find and the graphics are really great. it looks less like a generic mascot platformer and more like a david the gnome episode or something. i don't know if all of this holds up on the gameboy but it's a game i think more people should play, if you don't like the gameboy version try the snes version. i get why it doesn't look that great at first glance but it's a very solidly designed game and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with zool and poo poo like that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when i use the eject lever on my gameboy player:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If I ever get to pick I'm absolutely slam-picking the completely dogshit GB Zool port, bet your rear end

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

well i played mr nutz on gbc

it's basically a bad port. it's not unplayable but it's an example of trying to squeeze 16 bit gameplay into hardware that wasn't designed for it, it feels kind of like one of those taiwanese ports of snes games for famicom.

the graphics are pretty good for GBC but the controls are terrible and floaty, not like the original game at all, and i think they added more hitpoints to compensate because they knew it was bad. unlike the original game, enemies respawn offscreen which is a problem. theres also a fair amount of cases where you jump up into an unseen enemy because the screen is too small and the sprites too big and close to the edge.

the sound is complete poo poo. infogrames seems to use the same awful instruments for all of their gameboy games, it sounds just like the smurfs or asterix, just absolutely terrible. again, the snes game is known for its good soundtrack so this is a shame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEirP0cfBj8 snes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4dqy4MRlhY megadrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxd61m5nWwI gbc

and this boss is supposed to wear a STRAW HAT god drat it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Analogue Pocket IPS patches for GB Studio. Just use Lunar IPS patcher on the ROM and rename the file extension to .Pocket.

Legend of the River King 2

Mr. Driller

There doesn't appear to be one for Mr. Nuts at this time.

Edit: Fixed a link to be River King 2.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 1, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think that's for the original Legend of the River King rather than Legend of the River King 2, as well?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
When thinking about the game I should pick, I had looked at river king. Summarily asked "wtf is this" and noped out of it.

Looking forward to giving it a real try.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
I'm weirdly into Mr Nutz.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Deez games!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

pig labeled 3 posted:

I'm weirdly into Mr Nutz.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
I just beat a giant dude that was shooting his eyeballs out of his head at me and I had to jump on his eyeballs and land on his head to kill him.

7/10

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

I think that's for the original Legend of the River King rather than Legend of the River King 2, as well?

Oh, I didn't catch that River King 2 was the game. There is indeed a patch for it.

https://github.com/JoseJX/analogue-pocket-patches/blob/main/README.md#legend-of-the-river-king-2

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Does anyone here think they can lick my Nutz??

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What system are you playing on? Love that border.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

What system are you playing on? Love that border.
DS Lite, made it myself! You want it?

Edit: Have 'em anyway! I made a few, more of a fan of simplistic borders and I couldn't find anything I liked online for GameYob. The light was really tough to get right, I tried a few different things. They look a lot different when on a DS or DSiXL.

pig labeled 3 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet! Thanks!