Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Whew, now our children can go back to murdering the right people.

I know I've been making these comments a lot but this is especially gross when there's constant strips about people being killed and eaten presented as jokes, and then he tries to pull this "Oh no, you want the students to kill and eat each other? How horrible!" You motherfucker, you show them murdering people all the goddamn time, gently caress off with presenting students murdering each other as somehow uniquely terrible.

And yes I know about the law prohibiting people from eating anyone they know personally, but there's no way they know everybody at their school so that doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Has anyone else had issues with their CK comics not updating? Vintage Mandrake/Johnny Hazard are still showing Friday's for me, and I know they haven't been posting Sundays but they've always had Saturday updates in the past.
Yeah A3G and Flash Gordon Sundays both did not update the last couple days.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Oh, Wesley Snipes :allears:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

manero
Jan 30, 2006

For the Curtis fans, NPR has an article up about Ray Billingsley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: may the odds be ever in your favour (January 16-22, 2006)

OK a few things.

1) Your school almost Battle Royale'd your kid. I'd be a bit angrier right now.

2) You two are awful blase about watching three people get violently eaten alive. (E: Potentially by your own son as well)

3) I can't help but feel like the reason they can take this all so lightly is because their kid is a predator and therefore had a low chance of actually dying this exercise.

4) LMAO running for the school board is such a lib-brained response to this series of events. I'd be hoarding [redacted] and organizing [redacted].

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 27, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

this is basically a DOOM lyric

also, when did Mark Trail get lit?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what that uncommon mouth do

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

readingatwork posted:

2) You two are awful blase about watching three people get violently eaten alive. (E: Potentially by your own son as well)

Kevin married somebody who violently eats people alive. Kell is the person that violently eats people alive. They're used to it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Crosby edition)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

"Gosh, if only there was some word or words that could capture the sound of an explosion! Ah well, better go with this."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I appreciate the directness from Billingsley in that one. Syndicate stuff is usually a bit more anodyne.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

"Ma'am, this is an ER, not a hotel. Why the gently caress did you even bring luggage here?"

Elsewhere: Did you know that comics are expensive?

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake & Johnny Hazard never did their Saturday update(and never update on Sundays). :iiam:

Computoon: Origins

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't know what I expected Billingsley to look like but it was not that

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 28 and March 2, 1975)

HEY, LET'S CALL LES MOORE!

Crankshaft, in which someone should tell Ed that Jumble's online now.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

And this is where Sunday Rips used to be reprints of older dailies, but that's not entirely true anymore. Dan Thompson did a Rip graphic novel in 2011, and pages from it have become the Sunday installment...since Halloween, long after I stopped checking. D'oh.

Anyway, it's extra content we haven't read before, it's got an origin story attached to it, and it was originally published long before our hero's controversial pancake fixation. So for the immediate future, let's spend our Sundays reading Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa! (October 31, November 7 and 14, 2021)

Due to the unexpected extra content, we'll do the Life Magazine check-in later today. Thank you as always for your patience with my busted work ethic. :tipshat:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Samovar posted:

In today's Blueberry: Y'know, Western Ol' Painless wasn't nearly as effective as his descendent, or Blueberry gets saved in the nick of time... AGAIN, or Trevor meets with some old friends...

I've got to say, since you translated the Chinese character's dialogue in an inoffensive manner, there's probably no need to spoiler the pages he's in. His visual depiction is pretty bland and unremarkable, he's just portrayed in period-appropriate clothing. I appreciate the reasoning for it, though, and it's your call. It's good to remember that you never know who's looking at this thread, as we all learned when Jeffrey got contacted by Gary Larson's people over the last thread.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

HEY, LET'S CALL LES MOORE!

I hate the ones where some elderly person makes a terrible joke and the youth don't get it and this is held up as evidence of the ignorance of the kids of today, oh how we hate them. Anyway, I'm old and I also didn't get the reference so I looked it up and I guess either he's talking about a fancy music hall or he's talking about a deceased black actor (oof, if so), but either way I still don't get it. I'm confident I'd find it horrifically unfunny even if I did get it, though.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Julet Esqu posted:

I hate the ones where some elderly person makes a terrible joke and the youth don't get it and this is held up as evidence of the ignorance of the kids of today, oh how we hate them. Anyway, I'm old and I also didn't get the reference so I looked it up and I guess either he's talking about a fancy music hall or he's talking about a deceased black actor (oof, if so), but either way I still don't get it. I'm confident I'd find it horrifically unfunny even if I did get it, though.

It's an obtuse reference to a Beatles lyric:

This doesn't make it any more of a joke, though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Is this the first time we've seen any of an adult's body in a Peanuts strip, or am I forgetting a super early one?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

There's a cute little story behind this one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Q-rais

[邪魔したくなったので…描きました。怒りと平和への思いを込めて。]
[I wanted to get in the way, so I drew it. With anger and feelings for peace.]

Classic Cat - 13/10/17

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 27, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Funky is nowhere near cool enough for a Sgt. Pepper's reference.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Sgt. Pepper's is an important Boomer touchstone and damned if Batiuk doesn't want to touch all those stones.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From Will Henry's Instagram

Will Henry posted:

A watercolor to make you feel that warm ocean breeze at the end of February

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

gently caress 'em up, ChaCha!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm shocked by the lack of a flying deer in several panels

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
My second drop-off of the day is A Sketchy Life (February 18 and 25, 1926)

Mr. Crosby showed up for the 18th, for what it's worth.

T.S. Sullivant:

Fred G. Cooper hands us a full page:

On to the 25th and Al Frueh:

Gluyas Williams:

Edwina Dumm:

And a new contender, Eugene Anthony “Gene” McNerney Jr, hands us a nominee for "What Brooke McEldowney dreams about five nights out of seven."

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

shoulda put a ring on it

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Julet Esqu posted:

Unsure why you'd need a name for a collective of black holes in a high school class anyway. If I'm not mistaken, almost all the black holes we know of are singletons, and we generally only find out about the binaries because LIGO picks up the gravitational waves that tell us they aren't binaries any more.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 13, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 11, 1919

Cat Tales February 19, 1925

Oaky Doaks August 24, 1936

Mopsy November 1, 1937

Up Front January 11, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 8, 1952

Those Were the Days February 12, 1959

Wee Pals May 16, 1966

Dogbert January 4, 1967

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Legend of Mrs. True: Bugle of War

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shugojin posted:

I don't know what I expected Billingsley to look like but it was not that

He looks like the barber but with a little hair.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

Legend of Mrs. True: Bugle of War

Lol

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: I'm going to have to come out and say it - bicorns, whether worn one way or the other, are really stupid looking hats. Tricorns are much superior, or Blueberry thinks very quickly, or Blueberry gets upset at Finlay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse