Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

The Idtech engine seems like a big deal but pretty much is a drop in the bucket compared to source, unreal and unity.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'd say that Quake was more important for games, all games, compared to Ultima. You can't compare the advances in speed, graphics, and level design that Quake brought us, compared to Ultima's solid, but iterative gameplay.

Ultima Underworld was another thing entirely, and a marvel if not for the sluggish speed.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhymenoserous posted:

The Idtech engine seems like a big deal but pretty much is a drop in the bucket compared to source, unreal and unity.

Even discounting that source is directly based on idtech, unreal and unity owe tons to it too. Not just graphics tech, either (even though that's a big thing. The 3d accelerator market was really pushed ahead by Quake). Mods, LAN multiplayer as we know it, lag compensation tech for online action games, tons of those were pioneered by various idtech iterations. Even the weirder Carmack stuff that was derided at the time, like megatextures, has become 3d engine maintays. Heck, the very idea of licensing a game engine as middleware was pioneered by id.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
ugh, idtech ➡️ graphics cards ➡️ bitcoin

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I could be very wrong here, but I think MegaTextures were one of the few Carmack inventions that did not get mass adoption. Unreal doesn’t use it, and I’d be shocked if CryEngine (Lumberyard) did. Am I wrong here?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No, that tech's definitely used in a lot of stuff. It's in Frostbite, in Ubi's games, it's been a standard DX feature since DX11.2, it is in Unreal Engine and even more generalized in UE5. They're just named differently. Virtual textures in most cases, tiled resources in DX. This is of course because they existed before (although Carmack did a lot of the groundwork of making them known and game-ready) and Carmack is the kind of guy who names Newton's Method Carmack's Method and stuff like that. To be fair he's not the only person like that, I remember way back when Crytech was calling normal mapping polybumpmapping and trying hard to make people use he term. Anyway, the main evolution is that in many cases virtual texturing is really used as a caching system that sees your usual texture assets as one giant adressable texture atlas, while actually authoring a whole gigantic texture as in Rage is not particularly widespread because in many cases you can generate the actual virtual texture contents dynamically anyway (like Ubi's engines or Frostbite do).

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Huh! I didn’t realize that. I’m pretty familiar with UE4, and I had no idea that VT was still in use pretty much anywhere. Now that we’re talking about it, though, it makes a lot of sense. I’ve always been vaguely curious how Frostbite games in particular had such insanely detailed textures for various ground types, etc, so this helps clear that up nicely. Thank you!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Welp, hate to reawaken this mess, but the party never ends:

https://massivelyop.com/2022/02/23/seedinvest-portalarium-shroud-of-the-avatar-investors-accountability/

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I appreciate the article, it gives a good summary of what happened so anyone curious doesn’t have to dig into an old thread. These kind of “failed” crowdfunding game projects interest me so given it was whales who kept things going I’d imagine these people also have lawsuit money. Imagine telling a lawyer how you were scammed on this investment!

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Getting a lawyer would be the same as admitting that your six thousand dollar video game house was a terrible idea from the start and you got conned, so I doubt that'll happen. The SeedInvest guys though may be less on the "true believer" side.
At least, assuming that it wasn't also more of the same whales and instead people who thought they could turn a profit via a new MMO with a (at the time) fairly respectable name attached to it.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

I bought the 40 dollar version and i got my 40 bucks watching this pile of poo poo game sink quicker than a submarine with screen doors.

Why sue them?

They have 11 active players, and no money to speak of.

Just shut it down already.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Do we know whether anyone actually bought one of the $5000 packs?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Were the $5,000 packs the ones that included Sir Richards blood? Because if the live stream of him filling the vials was any indication, they sold a few.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Long live the king!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I like to laugh at people, especially when they're myself, so I looked through my post history in this thread. I think I found the moment where I (lost my poo poo/saw the light): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3785234&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post472989670

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Were the $5,000 packs the ones that included Sir Richards blood? Because if the live stream of him filling the vials was any indication, they sold a few.

Much more importantly, did anyone here go for the SeedInvest thing and REALLY got ripped off?

At least those poor sods can get a tax write off if they get the right paperwork.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I actually thought there was going to be a kind of MMO revival as Garriott and McQuaid's different approaches would cause the next generation of MMOs to build off their successes.

Their failure is probably why the latest hit MMO is a diablo clone.

Also I hope Lum is doing well.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

I like to laugh at people, especially when they're myself, so I looked through my post history in this thread. I think I found the moment where I (lost my poo poo/saw the light): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3785234&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post472989670

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3785234&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post473186813

Your not alone Node..

Legend's Of Aria... :ughh:

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 1, 2022

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Freakazoid_ posted:

I actually thought there was going to be a kind of MMO revival as Garriott and McQuaid's different approaches would cause the next generation of MMOs to build off their successes.

Why? Garriott failed with Tabula Rasa and McQuaid failed with Vanguard, we were all warned what was going on.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

RagnarokZ posted:

Why? Garriott failed with Tabula Rasa and McQuaid failed with Vanguard, we were all warned what was going on.

I wouldn't say Tabula Rasa failed. From what I heard it was decent, it just never found it's niche.

Plus, you know... NCSoft.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Funkygenome
Nov 24, 2007
I blew $200 on this game. I am a fool.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RagnarokZ posted:

In particular it was Garriott's initial pitch. He thought he could craft a new way to present offline and online content that would benefit both solo players and group players, something that would break the mold of just soloing to level cap and then doing group content in a typical theme park MMO. Instead they diverted to harnessing obscene amounts of money from whales while providing a mediocre core gameplay experience that didn't really know what it wanted to be.

McQuaid's approach was a total reversal. Go back to what made EQ great and cash in on the nostalgia while beating the drums of things being better in their day. Around the time the project was announced, the games industry had begun a remaster renaissance, so it wasn't a bad idea on paper. But then he mismanaged the poo poo out of that project so badly, the entire team had to rebuild the game from scratch after he died.

Anyway, after something like New World, which disregarded even the most basic design principles learned since the early days of the internet, I don't really have a lot of faith in anyone evolving the MMO model. I fully expect the same sorts of gameplay already available but with an excuse to charge monthly.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
uo was the greatest game of all time and IPY the greatest server.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Gynovore posted:

I wouldn't say Tabula Rasa failed. From what I heard it was decent, it just never found it's niche.

Plus, you know... NCSoft.

I bought Tabula Rasa, it wasn't good, like at all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Smythe posted:

uo was the greatest game of all time and IPY the greatest server.

I'm so proud of you

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

McQuaid's approach was a total reversal. Go back to what made EQ great and cash in on the nostalgia while beating the drums of things being better in their day. Around the time the project was announced, the games industry had begun a remaster renaissance, so it wasn't a bad idea on paper. But then he mismanaged the poo poo out of that project so badly, the entire team had to rebuild the game from scratch after he died.

one small correction here- Vanguard came out in 2007 and McQuaid passed away in 2019. There was the famous "hey everyone get the stuff you need for the evening" event where he gathered team up in the parking lot and announced they were all fired :v:

The other MMO he was (presumably mis)managing, Pantheon, was trying to do Vanguard's shtick but all over again. They've retooled to chase the usual tab-target theme park MMO market since his passing.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 3, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Also I hope Lum is doing well.

Yeah, I'm fine. And woah nelly, glad I haven't been involved in any of this stuff the past 4 years.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 3, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, I'm fine. And woah nelly, glad I haven't been involved in any of this stuff the past 4 years.

:worship:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think most of McQuaids fans have given up hope for a revival by now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shroud of the Avatar, Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, and Camelot Unchained are three of the biggest scam MMORPGs, but there are countless examples out there of failed MMOs that stole peoples money and have gotten away with it with no accountability.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Shroud of the Avatar, Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, and Camelot Unchained are three of the biggest scam MMORPGs, but there are countless examples out there of failed MMOs that stole peoples money and have gotten away with it with no accountability.

Pathfinder?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep that counts too. There are so many out there. They've all either been canceled, or gone into hiding once the money dried up.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Camelot Unchained

Ackchually, there's no way Camelot Unchained can be a scam because they send me a link to an alpha test Google doc multiple times per week :shepicide:

I can't understate my relief upon finally seeing this:

only to reveal...

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 3, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cmdrk posted:

Ackchually, there's no way Camelot Unchained can be a scam because they send me a link to an alpha test Google doc multiple times per week :shepicide:

I can't understate my relief upon finally seeing this:

only to reveal...

that is hilarious because the official website says its in beta test.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

What about that Chronicles of Eleria game or whatever. I don't follow kickstarter MMOs but I hear that one made bank and basically doesn't exist and never will

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's way more profitable to not-make an MMO then to make an MMO.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The Star Citizen model has been very successful for them. I think they are up to the 400 million mark or something wild.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

What about that Chronicles of Eleria game or whatever. I don't follow kickstarter MMOs but I hear that one made bank and basically doesn't exist and never will

Yeah they stole millions of dollars and then venished after putting out a demo that looked like original era Runescape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

tbh I'll be shocked if another successful MMO pops out of the woodwork in the next decade, only way I see it happening is if bliz and square both decide to put their poo poo on maint mode to work on the next thing, and I don't see that happening.