Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just beat Pikmin 3's story (31 days since I lost some days figuring out what to do in some places)! What a weird fight but good overall. I lost a bit under 150 pikmin overall though I grew well over a thousand soooooo....

Fantastic game. Now to do the extra content. Anyone calling this a short game is out of their mind, if it's short it's because you can never have enough Pikmin.

As someone who enjoyed the 3DS game, is there anything worthwhile in the phone game? Also, how can you view Olimar's comments on critters and/or see everyone's comments on the final boss? Is that possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah and those people are idiots. Black/White was the best gen and only new Pokemon being available until the post-game was but one of the reasons it's the best.

Oh I agree, Black/White were great but there was so much whining at the time about the lack of old pokemon.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

So until/unless any delays happen, we are leaving getting BoTW2 and Pokémon Gen 9 this year. Wow. What else is planned for the back half of this year? This is could be the best Switch year, maybe ever.

Could be as much as Xenoblade 3,. Bayonetta 3, botw2, gen 9, Mario rabbits 2, and anything announced at the summer direct.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

xedo posted:

Could be as much as Xenoblade 3,. Bayonetta 3, botw2, gen 9, Mario rabbits 2, and anything announced at the summer direct.

That reminds me, part of the reason I got Switch was to play Bayonetta 2. But it never dropped in price. Is it worth getting?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Morter posted:

That reminds me, part of the reason I got Switch was to play Bayonetta 2. But it never dropped in price. Is it worth getting?

Bayonetta 2 is excellent. I think the reason it never dropped in price is because it's bundled with Bayonetta 1, or they got that weird selling scheme with it. I can't remember how it works but if you buy one the other drops in price by half or something.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Isn't it also a lot of people's favorite generation though?
I feel like the designs both for the creatures and overall aesthetic were the highpoint for the 2d series, and maybe the series overall

Would that not be at least in part because many people tend to think their first ever pokémon game is their favorite generation, though? Pretty sure that's how it works with Zelda and other series, too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bofast posted:

Would that not be at least in part because many people tend to think their first ever pokémon game is their favorite generation, though? Pretty sure that's how it works with Zelda and other series, too.

Hrmm, yeah that's a good point, and certainly would account for some of it. Though I stand by the art design/spritework comments.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Larryb posted:

Not to mention the first ever mainline 3D Kirby platformer next month. Yeah, seems like this is shaping up to be a pretty good year for Nintendo

is there a non-mainline 3d kirby platformer? i need to play it immediately.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

b_d posted:

is there a non-mainline 3d kirby platformer? i need to play it immediately.

Kirby’s Blowout Blast for the 3DS (basically an expansion on one of the minigames from Planet Robobot)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 27, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bofast posted:

I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 1 and was a young adult by the time Gen 5 came out and have no qualms saying it was my favorite and objectively best generation. I imagine a lot of the people championing Black and White are in the same boat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bofast posted:

People keep saying this and I have no idea why. I played Pokemon since the original Red/Blue, Gen V is my favorite by far. My first Zelda game was Link to the Past, my favorite Zeldas are Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask.

I mean, I know why, it's because "Oh no this person has a different opinion than mine, I must make up some dumbass bullshit reason why they clearly don't see that I'm right."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just beat Pikmin 3's story (31 days since I lost some days figuring out what to do in some places)! What a weird fight but good overall. I lost a bit under 150 pikmin overall though I grew well over a thousand soooooo....

Fantastic game. Now to do the extra content. Anyone calling this a short game is out of their mind, if it's short it's because you can never have enough Pikmin.

As someone who enjoyed the 3DS game, is there anything worthwhile in the phone game? Also, how can you view Olimar's comments on critters and/or see everyone's comments on the final boss? Is that possible?

I love Pikmin a ton, so much. Pikmin 3 is one of my all time favourite Switch games, but that mobile game will really only likely appeal to you if you like one of those walking tracking games. It won't automatically appeal to you if you enjoy Pikmin or the real time strategy of the Pikmin games. It's not that at all.

You get pikmin, you walk, you get more pikmin, but you're not controlling a swarm directly or anything like that. I actually don't know what the point is, other than 'numbers go up from walking'. There's literally nothing Pikmin-specific about the gameplay.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 27, 2022

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bayonetta 2 is excellent. I think the reason it never dropped in price is because it's bundled with Bayonetta 1, or they got that weird selling scheme with it. I can't remember how it works but if you buy one the other drops in price by half or something.

Yeah it's a contextual discount where if you buy one the other gets discounted to where you pay 60 USD total if you get both.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah and those people are idiots. Black/White was the best gen and only new Pokemon being available until the post-game was but one of the reasons it's the best.

Sun/Moon is better purely because variety rules. Grognards can get bent.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I saw the starters and logo posted on a different thread and I legit thought it was a fan made game. The starters look awful

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love Pikmin a ton, so much. Pikmin 3 is one of my all time favourite Switch games, but that mobile game will really only likely appeal to you if you like one of those walking tracking games. It won't automatically appeal to you if you enjoy Pikmin or the real time strategy of the Pikmin games. It's not that at all.

You get pikmin, you walk, you get more pikmin, but you're not controlling a swarm directly or anything like that. I actually don't know what the point is, other than 'numbers go up from walking'. There's literally nothing Pikmin-specific about the gameplay.

I do love those cute little fuckers, but I don't want to see them in my world, I want to see them in theirs! Exploring poo poo and taking down weirdo bugs.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bofast posted:

Utterly untrue in my case. :shrug: I've played Pokemon since Red version.

And also my first Zelda was Ocarina of Time but my favorite by a country mile is Breath of the Wild, and it's not even loving close.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Sun/Moon is better purely because variety rules. Grognards can get bent.

Sun and Moon are good too! I love the region.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Really gamefreak should probably lay off some of the archetype pokemon that fill out the roster every generation (rattata and pidgey clones etc) and use those spaces for more interesting stuff.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I would pay $100 to never see a Geodude or Zubat in a game again.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Black/White did a total dex reset and therefore had to introduce a shitton of new pokémon.

Sun/Moon introduced very few new pokémon and leaned into this and made sure every new design was good.

Both did this well, which makes them stand out compared to the generations that did it worse.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Sun and Moon was the only generation I totally bounced off of.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I haven't played any of them since Red. cheers

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

b_d posted:

That's weird. You should play another one, they're pretty fun.

Do you play any other monster taming games like SMT, Ni No Kuni or Monster Hunter Stories?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

b_d posted:

Same. Might get this new one for :420: cat though.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Zurtilik posted:

That's weird. You should play another one, they're pretty fun.

Do you play any other monster taming games like SMT, Ni No Kuni or Monster Hunter Stories?

not really. i lied though, I did play X, or Y, i forget which, but i got bored. I've heard that gen wasn't the best though. i don't think i mesh with the genre in general anymore. i do like most of the starter designs :)

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I liked X/Y a lot but it did really begin the too much hand holding trend and just seemed to kind of revert to an entirely more kid friendly bent (they are kids games tho.) Definitely understand how people get bored of em though.

Might be worth to check out Gen 9 depending on the kind of changes they ultimately make since it could be a bit of a shake up from the past gens formulas.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They need to cool it with these Pokémon games. It’s a full time job to follow this series anymore.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I played the Switch remake and gave up because it was too easy (Let's Go Evee)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I do love those cute little fuckers, but I don't want to see them in my world, I want to see them in theirs! Exploring poo poo and taking down weirdo bugs.

I played for a few hours, but I don't even think there's the AR aspect that Pokemon Go had. It's just your map, at most, otherwise it's an entirely different interface.

Edit: "played" :airquote:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Been playin Pokémon since the originals and the associated pop culture phenomenon. Gen 2 is my favorite and they’ve never recaptured the wonder and amazement of that era, and I’m 100% positive it’s related to my age at the time and level of investment in the series, but also the post-game was awesome and they’ve yet to do one since then that’s as cool.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I took a break after Gen 4 and after getting back in with Shield in Gen 8 I'm hooked all over again and just sunk 50ish hours in Legends. Should probably get back to Shining Pearl at some point...

It's fun checking out all the new Pokemon I've missed the past bunch of years.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I definitely aged past it with Blue and Silver remaining the best in my mind. I love the 150 to death and while I appreciate some of the new designs, they rarely get me as much as the older ones. I'm very partial to flying and water types, not necessarily combined or anything so Wingull is like my favorite overall, but still... I'm not really into the newer ones I found Sword/Shield to be a drag.

I still intend on playing New Pokémon Snap, I think that gameplay will introduce me to some of the newer critters in a way I may appreciate more, but the mainline games aren't enough for me anymore.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

man nurse posted:

Been playin Pokémon since the originals and the associated pop culture phenomenon. Gen 2 is my favorite and they’ve never recaptured the wonder and amazement of that era, and I’m 100% positive it’s related to my age at the time and level of investment in the series, but also the post-game was awesome and they’ve yet to do one since then that’s as cool.

It's a pretty unique way to do a post-game that I'd love to see again but alas between the way modern game development is and the fact that Game Freak is kept on a very short leash, we're not likely to see something like that ever again.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what was that post-game?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Shocked that people don’t like that fun crocodile. He’s great

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

b_d posted:

what was that post-game?

You went back to the world of Red/Blue and could fight all the gym leaders from that game, then you went to Mt Silver and fought the player character from Red/Blue. The level curve was weird and uneven but I gotta admit it's a cool concept. Whole thing was only possible because after finishing the main game, Iwata compressed the game data so well they could fit the whole first game's map in.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Spacebump posted:

So until/unless any delays happen, we are leaving getting BoTW2 and Pokémon Gen 9 this year. Wow. What else is planned for the back half of this year? This is could be the best Switch year, maybe ever.

It's crazy that I could play BoTW2 within a year, that's inspiring stuff right there.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Shocked that people don’t like that fun crocodile. He’s great

I like him. He reminds me of Totodile. But until they do the right thing and let me pick Tototdile in every game, I'll be happy with this guy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I've only ever played Pokemon Blue, but due to weird circumstances over the last last month I'm now simultaneously playing Arceus, Sword, and Pokemon Go. I've become obsessed with Pokemon and excited for the new one.

Arceus had good buzz and was really fun, and then I wanted more Pokemon with more meat on the combat so I got Sword, and I redownloaded Go on a whim and accidentally became addicted to it because I just moved to a city and can hit three pokestops with a constant flow of Pokemon appearing while sitting in my apartment. Send help (I don't want to be saved)