Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Eason the Fifth posted:

I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but Elden Ring gives me the same feeling I had exploring Vvardenfell in Morrowind or Hellfire Peninsula in Burning Crusade: danger around every corner, desperate fights, a hardscrabble struggle for survival against things that can absolutely mulch you. I couldn't get into Dark Souls, but I'm poopsocking the gently caress out of Elden Ring.

Yeah, Elden Ring is up there with Ocarina and Time and Morrowind for me, both those games blew my mind when they came out.

I don't know what else to call the world of Elden Ring other than "inspired", the most earthlike place in the game is the first area and it has giant golden trees and the biomes only ramp up how fantastical they get the further into the game you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

blast corp fuckin ruled

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

does anyone remember blast corps on n64? good times

Blast Corps loving owned, one of my favorite games.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think FromSoftware just made the best open world game of all time, it's sort of like playing Breath of the Wild but having much better combat but having a VERY similar feeling to exploration. There's even somewhat of an analogue to koroks, though not nearly as prevalent. Like remember the one that was invisible but you could see footprints? There's literally that same exact puzzle.

It also helps that unlike shrines the mini dungeons have much more variety to them so you're not always looking at the same stuff.

Weapon skills (ashes of war), soul summons and the huge amount of weapons to choose from makes sure the combat doesn't get stale. I'm always trying out new stuff, the ashes of war can be swapped out for free at the bonfire equivalents.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It owns

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I straight loving suck at Elden Ring, it's the first Souls game I've ever played, I don't know what any of these stats or numbers mean, and some red wizard just handed me my rear end like 25 times, and I only ever got him down to about 25% health on my best run. This owns. (Mob AI is pretty stupid and blind if you're using ranged attacks, but thank god because being mobbed is just impossibly hard)

I have learned how to stab people in the back and make a magical blue ball hit people, and my horse is pretty. Yak? Yorse?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Haven't played it yet, but traditionally glowing blue or red eyes means avoid that guy until you know what you're doing.

I really wanted to find a new GPU before elden ring came out, gently caress bitcoin miners :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm playing on High settings and a 1080p usually between 50-60 FPS

E: meant to say 1080ti, not 1080p. Playing at 1440p.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 27, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

IMHO for a first time souls player you should use a weapon and shield until you get good at rolling through attacks, it's way more forgiving of mistakes. Always have your shield up when not attacking, use whatever weapon you like though a basic sword always works. You can also equip a shield with a greatsword if you wield it one handed, not sure if the claymore has the same move set in Elden Ring but it goes good with a shield in the previous games. Some shields have an ash of war equipped which blocks you from using your weapons ash of war, the Warmaster in the first area sells a Ash of War: No Skill which you need to equip to your shield to be able to use the one equipped to your weapon.

Look at your status page and click the button for more information, it will explain what every stat does. First thing pump vigor until you have 1000 HP, lets you take more boss combos if you mess up rolling or blocking.

For Bloodborne players, down on the beach near the start of the game is a merchant that sells the Quickstep ash of war which lets you dodge like in Bloodborne. Costs FP but it's not much and it still works when you're down to 0 FP. Really good for dex players.

edit: For sorcery users, there's a trail that goes around the north side of Stormveil castle which if you follow it all the way around will lead you to the Church of Irith. Inside is a guy that will sell sorceries, get the Glintstone Arc sorcery, it fires waves of magic which are great for killing tons of enemies bunched up.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

I'm playing on High settings and a 1080p usually between 50-60 FPS

I have a GTX 970, which questionably even meets the minimum reqs :smith:

GPU supply situation seems to be getting better and I have some money for it, the timing just didn't quite line up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustang posted:

I think FromSoftware just made the best open world game of all time, it's sort of like playing Breath of the Wild but having much better combat but having a VERY similar feeling to exploration. There's even somewhat of an analogue to koroks, though not nearly as prevalent. Like remember the one that was invisible but you could see footprints? There's literally that same exact puzzle.

It also helps that unlike shrines the mini dungeons have much more variety to them so you're not always looking at the same stuff.

Weapon skills (ashes of war), soul summons and the huge amount of weapons to choose from makes sure the combat doesn't get stale. I'm always trying out new stuff, the ashes of war can be swapped out for free at the bonfire equivalents.

It’s overwhelming dicking around trying to complete the map and then finding your way into a gigantic underground city

It’s insane this game exists

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

ZombieApostate posted:

I have a GTX 970, which questionably even meets the minimum reqs :smith:

GPU supply situation seems to be getting better and I have some money for it, the timing just didn't quite line up.

I've got a 1650, which would apparently work just fine, but I didn't realize just how much CPU tech had moved on since I last replaced mine. Trying to run Elden Ring on a processor several generations and a couple of cores behind the minimum spec is, uh, ill advised.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 27, 2022

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm like 4 or so hours into Elden Ring, and I just got my horsey bro. I feel a bit special, as I'm pretty sure I was supposed to find it about 3 hours ago, but oh well...
I'm trying to avoid major spoilers, so I'm gonna ask here instead of the official thread, but should I be mainlining to the first area the dude at the first alter tells me to go to? Or should I be messing around in the caves? I feel like the caves are a diversion I should come back to, but I might also need to git gud...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I played for like 10 hours at least before I went and killed Margit, the first major boss. Do as much or as little as you want, if something is hard you can probably find something closer to your level somewhere else. Both halves of Lemgrave and the Wailing Peninsula to the south are viable to do before Margit.

Keep an eye out for churches in the distance, they have tears you can use to increase the amount of resources your flask returns. Same goes for the golden glowing mini erd tree shrubs for Golden Seeds to increase flask count.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A piece of advice if you don't know where you are going:

Pay attention to what NPCs tell you. They are giving you quests, you just don't have a quest log keeping track for you or notification that you have started on a quest.

It will help you find direction because it will give you an objective.

The way Souls games handle quests is probably my absolute favorite things about these games.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Quest logs always seem like they're good for keeping track of what quests you have to do, but poo poo for making good quests because they tend to devolve into "go here, kill/collect thing" so they easily fit into a quest log. So I am totally down with no quest log.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
A lot of good advice here. The best advice I could find in game is "try fingers but hole."

Currently building a tanky paladin from the confessor class. Haven't taken on Margit yet but I have killed two overland bosses so my confidence is going up. Vigor sitting at a plump 30. Getting the itch to create alts with different playstyles but I am really holding myself back or I will burn out on the opening area.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

A lot of good advice here. The best advice I could find in game is "try fingers but hole."

Currently building a tanky paladin from the confessor class. Haven't taken on Margit yet but I have killed two overland bosses so my confidence is going up. Vigor sitting at a plump 30. Getting the itch to create alts with different playstyles but I am really holding myself back or I will burn out on the opening area.

Praise the tree is pretty sound advice too.

Apparently quality builds are a no go? I'm planning on staying more or less pure dex, but its always nice to have the option to branch out in case there is an op greatsword or something.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I started out as a prisoner for a dex/int build and have been doing great, most boss kills on me so far is 2. I'm using a rapier and offhanding sorceries (magic glintblade and glintstone arc). Quickstep is my ash of war so I'm playing how I did in Bloodborne, I'm trying to find a dex/int katana that I keep seeing people mention, I really like the move set but only have the uchigatana right now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Elden Ring chat. South Limgrave (edit: proper name Weeping Peninsula) is totally the natural progression after West/newbie Limgrave, although it's not obvious except for one Grace pointing hint. Highly recommend checking it out before the first big non-optional boss, lots of good enemies and loot.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 28, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Found one of those int/dex katana's and it absolutely wrecks poo poo. It's unique ability is holding it in it's sheath and doing an AOE ranged slash or an AOE single target ranged attack.

Love how much they've expanded on Dark Souls combat, it would be hard to go back and play them after Elden Ring.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like stacking crit in any game I can because of some games poorly coding roll effects on crit and stuff so you can get a buff or something more often than intended etc.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Only managed to spend half my tax return on a 70" Samsung 4k with Airplay support because I got in my feelings about the state of the housing market. Upgrading from a very faithful 32" Samsung 1080p that I've had for 13 years.

Last week it was 125% of that for an 86" LG, so I feel like this is an absolute win. (The LG got back ordered, so I cancelled it. I lasted 8ish days before capitulating.)

e: I have a Switch and an Xbone and like 30 games to play through, BotW being top of the list.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 1, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild are a coin flip for best designed open world imho.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Dang I haven't played a FromSoft game in ages, my reflexes are bad and I'm getting owned. Lot of fun though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Another airgoon made a really neat video for our upcoming nerd poo poo campaign. It's worth checking out really. Airplanes and cool music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoGRRN9VsU&t=4s

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On a completely non-airplane related topic, how does coop work in Elden Ring?
Steam says it hs coop, but I don’t get how it is supposed to tie in. Is this a chill vibe coop I could play with my wife?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Steam says it hs coop, but I don’t get how it is supposed to tie in. Is this a chill vibe coop I could play with my wife?

no

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Basically to play co op you place your sign down on the ground and your partner would summon you into their world/save. The only game progress being made is whoever's world it is, the person that has been summoned just gets runes for leveling/buying stuff, items dropped by monsters and crafting materials that spawn on the ground like herbs.

To play through the whole game together would pretty much require doing everything twice essentially. I've been playing with my friends in co op but I'm way further than them, the game nerfs my stats down to their level so I'm not just demolishing poo poo left and right.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

is it possible to actually meet up online with people on purpose now? dang, sorry about that

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah, set your multiplayer password to whatever you want in the settings and make sure your co op partner has the same password set. Now when you place your signs down you'll immediately see everyone with the same password.

You can also do multiple group passwords which work similarly for always seeing your friends messages and bloodstains.

It's still a souls game so the multiplayer stuff uses items to ground it in the games lore but it's never been easier. There's a multiplayer menu where you can select all the different multiplayer items and read what they do.

You can also unlock multiplayer "pools" in certain locations and send your sign to the ones you've found, random people can summon you from any of those pools for help.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
In a time when every bit of popular culture is in a race to make the most evil tech-bro antagonist they can, it's hard to beat Ted Faro for fictional champ. The sequel actually made him worse.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Have blood stains worked for anybody? I see the stains, but clicking on them doesn't do anything. I'm on PS5, not sure if it's a bug or what. I see the other player ghosts running around the world, and messages work fine.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Seem fine for me

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

bengy81 posted:

Have blood stains worked for anybody? I see the stains, but clicking on them doesn't do anything. I'm on PS5, not sure if it's a bug or what. I see the other player ghosts running around the world, and messages work fine.

I had this problem on PC but the latest patch fixed it.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Was also having that issue on PS5 but there was a patch today that fixed it.

Also, Stalker devs posted a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RUvCVNeOH0

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Blood stains are supposed to do anything at all except warn me of possible danger?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Blood stains are supposed to do anything at all except warn me of possible danger?

You're supposed to see the red ghost of how someone died. It wasn't showing the red ghost just the stain but it worked for me just now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
ha, interesting. will have to see if it starts working on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Vahakyla posted:

I would say so. Exploring the enormous world together would be neat. Depending on which of you is better at Soulsborne games they should propably get ahead in the game and then be summoned the other one.