Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

Why would you use [ code ] instead of [ quote ]?

He is a putinbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This really seems like you're talking about political issues which are more relevant for the Ukraine war thread. I know it sounds contradictory, but this thread needs to stay focused on military matters and material conditions rather than speculating on how politics will determine the course of a war.

when this all started, I had thought the real objective might have been to materially pressure the US , divide the EU /US further, while snagging a region or two from Ukraine. The pandemic / supply chain crisis / housing inflation I looked at that and thought wow energy sanctions on Russia, those are really going to up the pressure on our own economy really ratchet up the material pressure on Americans.

lol

lol nope

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can we discuss how the capability of the CIA has been deified in the last two weeks? it's possible their image has been rehabbed for a generation

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I don't see how the CIA can be more meaningfully deified than having an agent overthrow the Wakandan coup.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i say swears online posted:

can we discuss how the capability of the CIA has been deified in the last two weeks? it's possible their image has been rehabbed for a generation

It's not just CIA this time. It's "Intelligence" that's being worshiped so it's stuff like Brown Moses and other computer touchers like the NSA and DIA etc. that are going to be the new hotness.

Especially because you can just stay at home and make epic posts on social media as some drafted kid is sent into the trenches to stare down tanks or drown on a boat.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Centrist Committee posted:

it’s cool that nukes are on the table, really glad the world economy is so interconnected and ww3 couldn’t possibly happen

2022: francis fukuyama screaming and crying into his copy of The Great Illusion

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ideas from cybernetics erased some of the advantage dialectics had over other ways of thinking and the adoption of those ideas from Cybernetics that started back in the fifties is basically done now and that’s just how those organizations think now, so they’re more effective than they were a generation ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"The Roots of Soviet Victory: The Application of Operational Art on the Eastern Front, 1942 - 1943"
by Maj. James R. Howard

This should be clear enough, yes? The Ukrainians aren't going to win with a pile of Javelins and MANPADs

This is the reason for both the missile strikes that reached as far back as Odessa, and the repeated paradrop operations. Western pundits keep saying there was no sense or use to the VDV ops, but there absolutely was

If you attack all across the front, then whichever of these forces do manage a breakthrough, the enemy cannot shift forces around to stop them, because they're held up defending against all your other attacks.
i.e. - if you're attacking into Kherson AND Kiev AND Sumy AND Kharkov AND Luhansk AND Donetsk, then all the forces committed in and around Luhansk and Donetsk cannot be moved to defend Kiev, because they're already engaged, and even the ones that aren't engaged are obviously going to leave their own sectors undefended if you move them back to the capital

And that is exactly what happened, to the extent that the defense of Kiev is left to small-unit formations at the tactical level

Unrelated to the Ukraine conflict, but this dovetails with more modern scholarship in that "blitzkrieg" wasn't really real in terms of being a distinct school of military thought. As other authors like Robert Citino have described, the Germans put a premium on independence of local commanders with respect to achieving goals, and the German General Staff inherited a martial tradition of "Bewegungskrieg", or a "war of movement", and created a command structure that was operationally flexible enough to support "kampfgruppe", or the informal grouping-together of formations that weren't supposed to be subordinate to each other, but this did not constitute "blitzkrieg" as was described in earlier accounts of German military science

I call out this next section because some people still have the pop-history impression that the Soviet Union won its wars by sheer weight of numbers, "human wave attacks", etc., and indeed are carrying this mentality into Ukraine in that any admission that the Ukrainians are losing is "only" because the Ukrainians are so badly outnumbered by the "hordes" of Russians (to say nothing of the implications of using "orcs" as a slur)

the Russians were not trying to win their wars via attrition

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

When was the last time australia used tanks in war anyway?

We just bought a bunch of them from the usa (assuming they ever actually get delivered lol) so they must be pretty useful for something!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You can accept that the intelligence was correct without "deifying" them. Seems you're not coping well with being proven wrong.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

It's not just CIA this time. It's "Intelligence" that's being worshiped so it's stuff like Brown Moses and other computer touchers like the NSA and DIA etc. that are going to be the new hotness.

Especially because you can just stay at home and make epic posts on social media as some drafted kid is sent into the trenches to stare down tanks or drown on a boat.

oh my god it's q-anon baking for computer toucher libs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

checking if a smaller font is still readable on mobile

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i can read that but I have a fat phone screen with too many pixels

also, catching up on this thread and it's great, but this post specifically made me lol

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Russia doesn't need a "proper land route" to Crimea since they already have the Kerch Bridge. What you're talking about would mean taking the entire coastline of Azov, which Russia doesn't have any claim to. It's one thing to annex Crimea and defend the breakaway republics, but it's another thing to outright annex historical Ukrainian territory. It'd also over expose Russian lines to a counterattack and make it too easy to cut off the highway - which means they'd have to take everything up to the Dnieper river. Which is also something the "Russia is invading any day now" people actually believe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I really didn't expect there to be nothing between Crimea and the Dnieper, lol.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
thread title should be updated, the us is losing ww3

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

X Post from Ukraine thread on deployment and NATO politics -

The procurement of a 120mm mortar for Canada, which has been a white paper objective since the 90’s, has not gone ahead because the Finnish Tampella beat the Israeli Soltam in competition, cost, better fit our needs. So, we just don’t have one.

The Brits and Americans were supremely pissed when we bought French 105mm light guns instead of theirs. The “compromise” was we only bought a few, so of course there are parts shortages, they’re only used for training.

The Reserve Artillery batteries that use 105s - and were supposed to be the main recipients of the light guns while the regulars used Self-Propelled Towed 155s - use Korean War vintage guns. They are just barely kept running because we had the Dutch upgrade them in 2000.

Because these guns were literally made during WW2 in some cases, parts are impossible to find. Also because they were made in WW2, we make up for that by using the RCN workshop in CFB Halifax to fabricate parts since they are really simple compared to modern ones.

The ripples of this are poo poo like Reserve batteries going from 6 guns to 4, guns getting moved on flatbeds because Transport Canada deems them unsafe to tow (they were losing wheels on 400 series highways) and barrels being used long after their service life. Each gun now has a doppler radar set to measure barrel wear, but yeah “generous” tolerances.

Basically everything we do is in response to US pressure. They were just on us to buy HIMARS rocket artillery - a weapon Canada has no use for.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/ukraine-conflict-assessment-13

quote:

The Russian Ministry of Defense released implausibly low Russian fatality counts for the first time on March 2, preparing the Russian population for the arrival of injured and killed service members back to Russia.

Russia’s Defense Ministry (MoD) released falsely deflated numbers of Russian casualties in Ukraine for the first time on March 2 after previously refusing to disclose any Russian casualties. The MoD is likely preparing the Russian public for Russian casualties as injured servicemembers and caskets begin to return to Russia. Russian MoD Spokesperson Major General Igor Konashenkov claimed that over 2,870 Ukrainians and 498 Russians have died in Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as of March 2.[1] Konashenkov claimed that Russian forces have captured 572 Ukrainian troops as of March 2.[2] Konashenkov denied claims that Russian conscripts and university cadets are participating in the war in Ukraine.[3] A senior Western intelligence official told CNN that Western intelligence counted around 5,800 Russian deaths as of March 1.[4] A Ukrainian military advisor told Reuters that Russian fatalities exceeded 7,000 as of March 2.[5] Locals in Belarus’s southern Gomel Oblast described an influx of Russian servicemembers to civilian hospitals on March 2.[6] Ukraine announced on March 2 that Russian prisoners of war may return to Russia if their mothers meet them at the Russian-Ukrainian border.[7]

lol we're going straight back into the times of taking wehrmacht sick kdr claims with a straight face while tossing out russian sources because they're all perfidy and lies

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

How dare you question the brave Ukranians when they say they've killed 3x the population of Russia in defense of their homeland.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Retromancer posted:

How dare you question the brave Ukranians when they say they've killed 3x the population of Russia in defense of their homeland.

begun the clone wars have

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

How are thousands upon thousands of Russians supposed to have been killed already concurrently with all of them defecting and/or abandoning their vehicles? Wouldn't the Ukrainian MoD figure be something like a tenth of the combat troops committed on the Russian side being KIA already?

I mean it's kind of one or the other for an army that is on the attack on every front, either your casualty rates are really high because you have high morale and are pressing attacks hard or they're low because you dgaf, your attacks are stalling, and you are constantly losing material. But both? Is Ukraine doing massive counterattacks and pursuit actions I'm not hearing about?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

How are thousands upon thousands of Russians supposed to have been killed already concurrently with all of them defecting and/or abandoning their vehicles? Wouldn't the Ukrainian MoD figure be something like a tenth of the combat troops committed on the Russian side being KIA already?

I mean it's kind of one or the other for an army that is on the attack on every front, either your casualty rates are really high because you have high morale and are pressing attacks hard or they're low because you dgaf, your attacks are stalling, and you are constantly losing material. But both? Is Ukraine doing massive counterattacks and pursuit actions I'm not hearing about?

how dare you suggest that russia hasn't lost 9000 crying pissing 13 year old lost and disoriented conscripts to the ghost of kyiv and 5000 pieces of incredibly powerful high tech military hardware and/or piles of moldering rust to ukranian mud they were too stupid and dumb and idiotic to not to drive over

if you don't think thicc zaddy zelinskyy himself is not out there RIGHT NOW slaughtering hyper-elite (but also incredibly incompetent) russian paratroopers before they can defect to the warm bosom of ukraine I can only surmise you want to suck putin's hard dick like the gay little queer butt freak you are, you degenerate gay

mods, ban this queer homo gay!!! I'd give him a brutal owning with a brutal av about how much of a gay queer who loves putin's rock hard cock he is, but unfortunately I spent my last $10 on another donation to the azov batallion for a cool gangtag

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m curious what they’ll have to do in your initial training to get soldiers vaccinated and willing to wear (gas) masks.

They take you to medical in bootcamp and give you 7 shots in a 5 minute period, you have no say in this, you are in boot camp, you literally volunteered for the shots.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Danann posted:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/ukraine-conflict-assessment-13

lol we're going straight back into the times of taking wehrmacht sick kdr claims with a straight face while tossing out russian sources because they're all perfidy and lies

I’m sure they’re under reporting but not by an order of magnitude. I’m more surprised at the number of Ukrainians reported killed, that seems like a fairly muted number considering their progress to Kiev and out of Crimea

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499449376430858245?s=20&t=ozUz5eZoetvW_lfxZpda2A

I would state this slightly differently as "lmao paratroopers"

Vertical envelopment: not even once

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Vertical envelopment: not even once

it works so well in movies

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

it works so well in movies

In war it is critically important to preserve ones own men and material, keep a secure line between one's combat forces and supply train, and at all costs avoid encirclement and the loss of routes of retreat else you will be destroyed in detail should any battle result in failure

So we can Win Fast by doing the opposite of all those things and

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Eh, securing Gostomel in the first few hours of the war and holding it until now was very impressive and useful.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Hey, the existence of Russian paratroopers made the west spend an ungodly amount of money developing bullshit like the P-90 and the MP7 that are expensive and kinda suck poo poo so who's to say whether they're good or bad?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Retromancer posted:

Hey, the existence of Russian paratroopers made the west spend an ungodly amount of money developing bullshit like the P-90 and the MP7 that are expensive and kinda suck poo poo so who's to say whether they're good or bad?

if we didn't have those guns we couldn't pwn noobs in cs, so it's actually good

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just going to say P-90 was the video game gun in shooters. Still remember dual p-90s in goldeneye

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That gun was so dumb I thought goldeneye made it up. two were my go-to lol

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

it's the intergalactic weapon of choice

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

The PDW project is the classic example of a MIC boondoggle that spends billions to make poo poo that doesn't work as well as the M4 carbine that's been around since the 80s based on a weapon platform from the 60s.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we used to call it the “R C Pro” cause it was the pro-est gun

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Retromancer posted:

The PDW project is the classic example of a MIC boondoggle that spends billions to make poo poo that doesn't work as well as the M4 carbine that's been around since the 80s based on a weapon platform from the 60s.

The M4 also got lots of Block 1/2 phased upgrades over the years that made it even more effective and reliable.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Eh, securing Gostomel in the first few hours of the war and holding it until now was very impressive and useful.

AFAICT that's not what happened, though. The paratroopers did their flashy air drop and were then promptly shoved off the airport in short order on the 24th. The next day, advancing Russian ground forces retook the airport when they broke through at Ivankiv and then consolidated their position with VDV reinforcements coming via mass helicopter lift.

Which just raises the question of what was the the purpose of the airborne mission in the first place really

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Better to build a less good gun with its own special ammo than figure out a better storage option for your regular guns.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Oldest Man posted:

Which just raises the question of what was the the purpose of the airborne mission in the first place really

Linking up with pro kremlin ground forces imo.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I wonder if the failures of the VDV will make the US rethink keeping the 82nd jump qualified, we've only ever used the 75th for airborne raids in the past several decades anyway. I've always thought divisional airborne units were obsolete and this seems to demonstrate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

I wonder if the failures of the VDV will make the US rethink keeping the 82nd jump qualified, we've only ever used the 75th for airborne raids in the past several decades anyway. I've always thought divisional airborne units were obsolete and this seems to demonstrate that.

lol no way, the airborne themselves would parachute into the pentagon to stop any cuts