Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Morale is never a factor for the invader, always for the defender only"

"Lol the Russians will just get payed in Putin bucks and eat mud: Putin's got this!"

Please read about what happens to an army with no supply/ no way to pay their troops: the answer may surprise you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

4 O CLOCK DAWNS! BRING ME MY PARATROOPERS! TONIGHT WE TAKE HOSTOMEL!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ukrainian sailor intentionally sunk his weapon-dealer boss' super-yacht and the poor sods can't even enjoy an event scientifically engineered to hit every one of their pleasure centers

it's loving insane lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""Norway announced the shipment of military equipment to Ukraine for defense against the Russian invasion""

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dante posted:

Poland is not constrained by its NATO membership. You're free to attack whoever you want.

Perhaps I should have said constrained by other NATO members. But they certainly are constrained in the sense that they, in the spirit of the charter, can't join in the fray without a UN fig leaf

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TulliusCicero posted:

"Lol the Russians will just get payed in Putin bucks and eat mud: Putin's got this!"

Please read about what happens to an army with no supply/ no way to pay their troops: the answer may surprise you!

Hey man, you got that "defections in Belarus" article/whatever that you referred to at one point?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

you could hear the shooting around pockets being closed up on livestreams i think. maybe theyve gone superstealth.

The Russians have us all fooled and invented stealthboys

Replicators for supplies/ rations too!

Russia is now a post-currency society, at long last

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 28, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of superior equipment - here's a "before and after Ukraine" of the Armata [EDIT: not actually, it's a different high spec tank]

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498076996768866313?t=XUbqAkM0GnDXl6CehmpufA&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 28, 2022

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

4 O CLOCK DAWNS! BRING ME MY PARATROOPERS! TONIGHT WE TAKE HOSTOMEL!

I like how this is literally broadcasted to the world. No one knows where the ukr army is cause they keep their mouths shut and phones off but here we have play by play.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ruble just spiked to 130/euro

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of superior equipment - here's a "before and after Ukraine" of the Armata tank, aka Russia's top of the line showpiece

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498076996768866313?t=XUbqAkM0GnDXl6CehmpufA&s=19

More from the replies:

https://twitter.com/smereka_petro/status/1497914834054258688?s=20&t=m4suWIYNZ7xQEgH7gF51Vw

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of superior equipment - here's a "before and after Ukraine" of the Armata tank, aka Russia's top of the line showpiece

Didn't realize that top pic was watermarked for a sec and was like drat, Russia loves the Sega Dreamcast.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Judakel posted:

Hey man, you got that "defections in Belarus" article/whatever that you referred to at one point?

It was posted in this thread way ealier today, go look for it. Look up what "morale" means while you are on your web safari

What makes you think an army without money can do anything exactly?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

KitConstantine posted:

Holy poo poo. What melted it to slag?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Warad posted:

The massive fuckup at Hostomel is definitely confirmed for sure. The downed Il-76s however are still up in the air, US officials confirmed them all so there's some notion they did go down, but literally nothing about crash sites or debris, so who really knows.

I know Russians took and subsequently lost the airfield but did we get confirmation of the incredibly bad helo op that was reported? I saw zero evidence of this at all.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

I was always skeptical of the idea of active armor to deal with antitank weapons. It seemed like a lot of money to try to keep tanks relevant in modern warfare.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

lol the tweet says T-72B3 and shows a T-72B3 . . . which is not an Armata

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Judakel posted:

I guess we'll see.

What sort of comments were you making here about the likelihood of the invasion happening in the first place? Do we have some reason to believe you have a handle on the direction of things and how Russia has been operating?
What were you posting as this all bubbled over?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I was talking to my mom who’s currently on vacation in Europe about this conflict and it’s worse than I thought.

The Serbian people have been hopeless brainwashed by a pro Russian bias. They think they were dealt a bad hand in 1999 and they can’t get over it and move on with their lives so clearly what’s happening in Ukraine is some imperialist plot.

I am so ashamed. I wish people were better than this.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The turret covered in reactive armor totally upside down in a field is loving sending me.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ukrainian sailor intentionally sunk his weapon-dealer boss' super-yacht and the poor sods can't even enjoy an event scientifically engineered to hit every one of their pleasure centers

i'm happy to inform you that the CSPAM thread is actively enjoying this news right this very instance

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

KitConstantine posted:

That's not the armata

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

KitConstantine posted:

Not exactly a T-14 Armata (since I don't think they have one that can move more than 30 feet without breaking down still) but really, against Javelins, it doesn't matter what it is, it's going to be dead. You put an Abrams in its sights and you'd end up with pretty much the same result.

Edit:

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know Russians took and subsequently lost the airfield but did we get confirmation of the incredibly bad helo op that was reported? I saw zero evidence of this at all.

I thought that WAS the incredibly bad helo op. Was there another one I'm not thinking of then?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

That's not the Armata, it's a T-72B3. Still one of their most advanced tanks.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Ruble just spiked to 130/euro

:wtc: Any ideas on what happened?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Judakel posted:

Are you literally pro invasion or is it some kind of doom posting mechanism. One of your posting goals is entirely attempts to out disinformation on the Ukrainian side

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol yeah I mean seriously.

Russian soldiers will have to seek food from somewhere. Probably domestic ukrainian supplies which will cause a higher casualty rate or POW rate. That's when things could get really really hairy. If surrendering = tasty food and warm bunks the Russians will start having problems that the field commander's will not report..and the troop numbers of reality will quickly be lopsided to the troops being counted as "present".

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It's merely a wet dream, I know, but it would be lovely if a portion of Belarusian units show up like mad Irishmen and hop over to the Bruce's side.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I was talking to my mom who’s currently on vacation in Europe about this conflict and it’s worse than I thought.

The Serbian people have been hopeless brainwashed by a pro Russian bias. They think they were dealt a bad hand in 1999 and they can’t get over it and move on with their lives so clearly what’s happening in Ukraine is some imperialist plot.

Don't worry that's what we think in Greece too and we don't even have a good excuse.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

I think people actually living in Serbia have a better idea of what happened in their country than you do. Telling them to "get over it and move on" seems ignorant.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

nurmie posted:

i'm happy to inform you that the CSPAM thread is actively enjoying this news right this very instance

I’m happy for them. I was scared this moment would pass them by.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ethanol posted:

Are you literally pro invasion or is it some kind of doom posting mechanism. One of your posting goals is entirely attempts to out disinformation on the Ukrainian side

dudes a weird super tankie. ignore him.

jesus hope that death is quick at least.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the Russian article the dude posted you have to google translate the Russian colonel says that it’s a cliche in Russian military reports for a single paratrooper squad to take a city in a couple hours or tens of minutes.

Like navy seals or legionnaires, paratroopers are apparently what Russian military nerds masturbate to and the reason they keep failing is they’re sending the wrong ones

As far as I can tell, the VDV fits the same sort of cultural niche that the Marines do in the US complete with their own separate recruiting. They've even got the same sort of energy spending zillions of bucks on specialized equipment for giant airdrops or contested naval landings at the expense of funding for the rest of the armed forces.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kalit posted:

According to this, https://zenrus.ru/

Could be wrong though

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

FWIW the most advanced tank Russia has and is using in Ukraine is the new T-90M.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Warad posted:

Not exactly a T-14 Armata (since I don't think they have one that can move more than 30 feet without breaking down still) but really, against Javelins, it doesn't matter what it is, it's going to be dead. You put an Abrams in its sights and you'd end up with pretty much the same result.

CNN I believe spotted T-14s moving to the front yesterday(?) in Russia. We'll see if they actually use it though.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Kalit posted:

Russia got subjected to significant new sanctions over the weekend, so people are getting pessimistic about the prospects of its economy and currency.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Holy poo poo. What melted it to slag?

Underneath all of that armor is a huge amount of fuel and explosive ordinance.

Morrow posted:

I was always skeptical of the idea of active armor to deal with antitank weapons. It seemed like a lot of money to try to keep tanks relevant in modern warfare.

There is some debate as to if they even are any longer. It depends on the sort of war being waged, IMO, but having a vehicle that can be defeated by a weapon a tiny fraction of its cost does suggest that giving tankers a pat on the back and sending them off into a city is not how they should be used.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Kalit posted:

The world is waking up on Monday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

the popes toes posted:

Perhaps I should have said constrained by other NATO members. But they certainly are constrained in the sense that they, in the spirit of the charter, can't join in the fray without a UN fig leaf

Article 1 of the charter has never been practiced, NATO countries have gone to war without a UN fig leaf multiple times. Notably the invasion of Iraq which included several NATO members while also being technically illegal (war of aggression). The 1999 bombing of Serbia was constituted as a NATO-led operation and also began without any approval from the security council. Poland is free to join if it wants, but Poland isn't going to war with Russia.