Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

FishBulbia posted:

No videos from the Russians who seem to have enacted tight opsec, limited from Ukrainians. Most is extremely unclear videos from civilians.

Yea, we're basically seeing the war through tiktok videos made by people that absolutely should not be standing where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TulliusCicero posted:

The Russians will just sell their oil and gas to someone not in the global boycott/ banking system and just revamp their economy overnight! :shepface:

Just got to find some new buyers. Maybe the Moon is interested?

What they need is a world famous successful businessman who can run their country like a company! Donald, get over here!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

There has been some reports of them fighting; however, I read some long thing a couple days ago that basically said that Ukraine's all mechanized forces are being kept in reserve and very carefully kept out of contact with Russian forces until the decision by Ukrainian High Command that the mechanized forces are strategically necessary to deploy. I asked if anyone had an update early today, and nobody did. I figure this is good, that means the location of Ukraine's mechanized forces is, for the most part, staying a well guarded secret.
Is it also possible that they're trying to consolidate forces as they receive aid from other nations? I imagine if you mobilized too quickly you might make it hard to implement some of the gear coming in.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Grammarchist posted:

It's kinda hard to see a Ukrainian officer cadre amassing enough support for a coup given the apparent morale and loyalty of the rank and file, if ever there was a chance for Putin to install a "good man" to roll back Ukraine's liberal drift since 2014. Maybe once more Russian forces are brought to bear and if things become much more hopeless for the Ukrainians.

He definitely has failed.

That doesn't mean we should valorize an organization that was more concerned with nailing Polish children to a wall than fighting the Soviets or Nazis. Who in turn, represents a tiny fraction of Ukrainians. It would be like invading the US over proudboys and then calling them confederates, and the BBC explaining about how confederates liked states rights,

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Trump posted:

Yea, we're basically seeing the war through tiktok videos made by people that absolutely should not be standing where they are.

the video of that statue being attacked by russian IFV's driving by i think takes the cake for this

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Theory posting

I think that leaders in Europe have been dying for something to make them feel like the good guys again. Racistly they mostly couldn't project themselves onto the struggles of oppressed groups in other parts of the world, so it's been pent up for a long time.

Then this happens. And Zelenskyy turns out to be an insanely good leader under fire. So Ukraine gets invested with all their frustrated hero myth desires. Maybe that's why Europe is giving him anything he wants, barring nuclear triggers like a no fly zone.

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1498106047860408321?t=ymhl6FksVuq5LLqm7syk-Q&s=19

Edited to be more clear I'm just theorizing

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 28, 2022

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Kalit posted:

:wtc: Any ideas on what happened?

Son have you been paying ANY attention for the last 48 hours

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

The Russians will just sell their oil and gas to someone not in the global boycott/ banking system and just revamp their economy overnight! :shepface:

Eh, Russian energy is still carried in Ukrainian pipes to be purchased by the EU so that Putin can buy bullets so it's a very loving weird war on top, capital underground, sort of nightmare

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Theory posting

I think that leaders in Europe have been dying for something to make them feel like the good guys again. Racistly they mostly couldn't project themselves onto the struggles of oppressed groups in other parts of the world, so it's been pent up for a long time.

Then this happens. And Zelenskyy turns out to be an insanely good leader under fire. So Ukraine gets invested with all their frustrated hero myth desires. That's why Europe is giving him anything he wants, barring nuclear triggers like a no fly zone.

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1498106047860408321?t=ymhl6FksVuq5LLqm7syk-Q&s=19

Not everything needs to be a conspiracy theory

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Also, China seems willing to sell them grain and probably buy some oil, too.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Not everything needs to be a conspiracy theory

I'm not saying its a conspiracy, I don't even know if it's a conscious thing. This whole deal is tapping into wartime mythologies that haven't been tapped into on European soil since WWII.

Other conflicts have been much messier. This one is nice and clear cut, as much as any war can be at least.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

What they need is a world famous successful businessman who can run their country like a company! Donald, get over here!

Breaking: New Minister of the Interior Donald J. Trump announced by Russia as Kremlin seeks "New direction from someone who can tell it Like it is"

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/EnglishUkraine/status/1498121285599219713?s=20&t=jsUe1X0QQWNeH_2KfkctyQ

:(

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KitConstantine posted:

Theory posting

Then this happens. And Zelenskyy turns out to be an insanely good leader under fire. So Ukraine gets invested with all their frustrated hero myth desires. That's why Europe is giving him anything he wants, barring nuclear triggers like a no fly zone.

I think there's an element of that, but a really big part of it to is that basically everyone in Europe realized that they really, really were not ok with Putin just launching aggressive wars of conquest again fellow European states and that while NATO was not suitably an entity that would respond to it, there were a lot of other ways to push back against it, ultimately. Imo the hero/saviour mythos stuff functions secondarily to the main interest of just not wanting to live in a world where putin decides he wants your country one day and then you are hosed

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Theory posting

yeah all those leaders were just hypnotized by the jewish movie star im sure. couldnt be that people around the world recognize it as a brutal war of aggression?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Judakel posted:

You're ruining his dunks.

hey all I'm saying is Energie muss sein

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 28, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KitConstantine posted:

Theory posting

i think the West in general has been looking for something that can bring some Unity amongst themselves and poo poo and the universal "gently caress that loving rear end in a top hat" is as old as time. also loving up tsar bombing putins economy probably hurts alot of hard right assholes in the west who get money from them(not talking explicitly trump or anything, but alot of the super nazi ones and the super crazies) and etc.

zelensky is gonna be a modern day world hero/myth man no matter what happens to him now.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah all those leaders were just hypnotized by the jewish movie star im sure. couldnt be that people around the world recognize it as a brutal war of aggression?

Hey my dude could you please not imply I'm antisemitic? That's loving lovely.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Everyone saw Putin's video and went :dogstare:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1498077404434243591

That is quick!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is pure rear end pull speculation on my part but with Russia now hammering that "Remember we have nukes!!" button is where I start to believe the Ukrainian propaganda more and more. Having to pull the nuke card in a political situation like this is intended to project strength, but all I see is a massive projection of weakness. The "I'm an alpha male" declaration of politics.

If you have nukes, and everyone knows you have nukes. You don't have to talk about it. It's implied. Speak softly and carry a big stick and all that. So if they're really this neurotic about how their strength looks, it's clear to me that things are actually going pretty bad in the Kremlin right now.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I am noticing in general less footage each day.

It's getting somewhat normal, I think, odesa friend said he just was getting bored with it all and going back to living life with occasional tea breaks in the shelter

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Internal ammo explosion.

To be specific - every Soviet tank design based on the T-64 (including the offshoots in the T-72 and T-80) have an autoloader. This autoloader stores the bulk of the tank's ammunition and propellant (think big bags of gunpowder) crammed together into a spinning carousel underneath the turret, from which the autoloader can grab propellant bags and shells to load the gun. The two crew members located under the turret actually stand on top of a thin metal sheet with all that ammunition just underneath it. The rest of the ammunition and propellant -if they take more than the autoloader carousel can fit- is stored on racks located all over the tiny crew compartment itself.

Now that leads to a problem - if you shoot a Russian tank center-mass about 75% of the areas you can hit have ammunition behind them. Lots of ammunition. The ammunition itself is reasonably hard to set off - but the propellant not so much. If you light up one bag of propellant the rest of it will go up too, giving you a huge flame and gas plume which follows the path of least resistance, creating a pillar of fire right through the floor into the crew compartment and then right out of the hatches on top of the turret - and often pushing the turret right off the tank. As a bonus, if that fire gets hot enough and the tank still has high explosive shells in the carousel, the HE ammunition explodes in spectacular fashion disintegrating much of the tank.

TLDR: This happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VWPOpYbQI

One of the reasons Western tank designs are larger and have big, longer turrets is that they stick all/most of the ammunition and propellant in a specially designed compartment in the back of the turret. This section has an armored door that opens and closes to seal the ammo off from the crew. It also has panels on top specifically designed to give way if there's an explosion in the ammo compartment, venting the gigantic pillar of death out of the roof of the tank, away from the crew.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 28, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Theory posting

It's more than that. The West as a whole has been struggling with a purpose for decades, since the end of the cold war. Neoliberalism, the naked pursuit of profit, and atomization of society has produced a fundamentally unfulfilling existence. This permeates politics, too.

Ukraine has given a jolt to a moribund, stagnant system. It's able to build on the remnant western mythos: democracy, freedom, the plucky underdog against tyranny. There's no entrenched interest groups to work against, just a clear good guy and a clear bad guy.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

FishBulbia posted:

I am noticing in general less footage each day.

It's getting somewhat normal, I think, odesa friend said he just was getting bored with it all and going back to living life with occasional tea breaks in the shelter

I think OPSEC discipline has actually been increasing, which is impressive. Except for just spotting the Russian columns on the highways, of course.
I get the bad feeling that it's also because today is the lynchpin for how this pans out the rest of the week so everyone has gone to encrypted mode.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is pure rear end pull speculation on my part but with Russia now hammering that "Remember we have nukes!!" button is where I start to believe the Ukrainian propaganda more and more. Having to pull the nuke card in a political situation like this is intended to project strength, but all I see is a massive projection of weakness. The "I'm an alpha male" declaration of politics.

If you have nukes, and everyone knows you have nukes. You don't have to talk about it. It's implied. Speak softly and carry a big stick and all that. So if they're really this neurotic about how their strength looks, it's clear to me that things are actually going pretty bad in the Kremlin right now.

That's why I think THIS is Putin's hand

He's rattling a saber, a rusted one that has no tip while everyone else is carrying machine guns looking increasingly dumbfoundely at the sad old man waving a sword

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TulliusCicero posted:

Okay good you are sane.

You and I both agree thst the US is an imperialist power, no problem there.

How are smaller countries entering an alliance with larger ones of their own accord, because their very large neighbor keeps invading them, imperialism?

Because this places them - at least in perception - as being in service of the imperialism of the most influential member of that alliance. This doesn't have to be actually true: the fear is what matters. The problem is the pre-existing imperialist policy of the influential member, irrespective of whether the alliance has been used for that purpose: the fear is a fear that one day it might.

This is how what you might call "external" imperialism - i.e. not in the name of the alliance - contaminates the ability of the alliance to appear as a passive defender in the eyes of potential adversaries.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

Holy poo poo. What melted it to slag?

No, it's just sitting quite low on soft ground, and has catapulted it's turret away. It might have strayed from a road and gotten stuck before it was killed.

Morrow posted:

I was always skeptical of the idea of active armor to deal with antitank weapons. It seemed like a lot of money to try to keep tanks relevant in modern warfare.

Reactive armor absolutely works. Against previous-gen AT weapons. The ones that the NATO is dumping into Ukraine like they're free are the newest-generation ones, which are specifically designed to defeat all ERA that exist.

Armor and weapons are always an arms race, simply because weight is an important consideration for both. The fact that Russian tanks have ERA means that the AT weapons needed to kill them are a lot heavier and more expensive than they'd otherwise need to be.

Space Jam posted:

FWIW the most advanced tank Russia has and is using in Ukraine is the new T-90M.

A single T-14 Armata was spotted heading for Kharkiv by a Finnish journalist in Russia. Might take part in today's battle.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The timing along with this:

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Let's hope Ukraine's air defenses are aware! (of course they are)
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498106694999711746?s=20&t=LsCdpS12fZ-wgJpZD0vQkQ

This might also explain the slow news drip. An all out attack with Belarussian backup when daylight hits along multiple fronts.

Hmmmm....

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Vando posted:

Because this places them - at least in perception - as being in service of the imperialism of the most influential member of that alliance. This doesn't have to be actually true: the fear is what matters. The problem is the pre-existing imperialist policy of the influential member, irrespective of whether the alliance has been used for that purpose: the fear is a fear that one day it might.

This is how what you might call "external" imperialism - i.e. not in the name of the alliance - contaminates the ability of the alliance to appear as a passive defender in the eyes of potential adversaries.

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to understand what you are saying but it is quite incorrect that anybody (perhaps you) views the EU and its actions as in service to the US

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Was there a declaration from Putin, or are we talking about the equivalent of Russia's Alex Jones talking about Nukes the same way he did in 2014?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

yeah i think shits going south for Putin at a quick pace and i dont think he can really win at this point. only "win". now he is trying to use a ton of bellorussian kids as meatshields now because he is a loving ghoul.

i dont think he will use nukes. but i do think he will try to fuel air bomb or some awful poo poo to Kiev or some other city as a "look me strong"

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

nurmie posted:

don't think this has been posted here, but this article by a former RuAF colonel got mentioned in the CSPAM thread and it's really interesting: https://nvo.ng.ru/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html

it's written about three weeks ago and basically predicts everything that went (and is still going) wrong with the invasion. sadly, it's in russian (obviously) and a little bit too long for me to translate any time soon, but if anyone is interested and reads russian (or is content with google translating it) it's definitely worth a read

The site has some interesting articles like the US's use of 'hybrid wars': https://nvo.ng.ru/concepts/2022-02-24/1_1178_strategy.html.

It looks like Russia containment recommendations is produced from RAND for US policy makers https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB10014.html. I'm not quite sure how this research is consumed in Washington, but it does look like geopolitics is a place where 'zero trust' guides how the world works.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the number one thing I predicted about this war was that Russia was going to win the information war and whoo boy was I incredibly wrong

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TulliusCicero posted:

That's why I think THIS is Putin's hand

He's rattling a saber, a rusted one that has no tip while everyone else is carrying machine guns looking increasingly dumbfoundely at the sad old man waving a sword

To make your analogy a bit more accurate, the old man waving a sword is also wearing a vest made of plastic explosive and scrap metal.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KitConstantine posted:

Theory posting

More cynically, I think everybody expected the Ukraine army to immediately fold and nobody wanted to give aid to a regime they thought would be dead in a day or two.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Trump posted:

Waiting for this to become known as the 'TikTok War.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Judakel posted:

Also, China seems willing to sell them grain and probably buy some oil, too.

China has a famous grain shortage right now