Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

ferroque posted:

I think people actually living in Serbia have a better idea of what happened in their country than you do. Telling them to "get over it and move on" seems ignorant.

The bombings were terrible there’s no doubt. But what’s the point in continuing to bear a grudge about it to the point that they’d unconditionally support a country doing something similar if not worse to Ukraine?

The least they can do is recognize that this is an unprovoked conflict. Instead the entire Serbian media ecosystem is doubling down on how this is all some western plot to weaken Russia. Russia weakened itself with the rampant corruption, tycoons and this bullshit invasion. The west didn’t need to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TulliusCicero posted:

It was posted in this thread way ealier today, go look for it. Look up what "morale" means while you are on your web safari

What makes you think an army without money can do anything exactly?

Repost it, I'd love to read it. I doubt Russia will stop having buyers for its oil and gas, so I find it unlikely that they won't be able to pay their soldiers. Although I do wonder if they will reduce output to put a hurting on the West and loosen the assets that were frozen. Just how necessary those sales become will depend entirely on how long the war goes.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol yeah I mean seriously.

Russian soldiers will have to seek food from somewhere. Probably domestic ukrainian supplies which will cause a higher casualty rate or POW rate. That's when things could get really really hairy. If surrendering = tasty food and warm bunks the Russians will start having problems that the field commander's will not report..and the troop numbers of reality will quickly be lopsided to the troops being counted as "present".

There's already video of them raiding grocery stores. Once the grocery stores are empty they'll hit up the pet stores.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Judakel posted:

Hey man, you got that "defections in Belarus" article/whatever that you referred to at one point?

I remember seeing something like it, but it was one of the random Twitter accounts I think that's not verified, or verifiable. That's not an indictment on any particular source, as conflicting information and widespread rumor is kind of par for the course for an active warzone.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol yeah I mean seriously.

Russian soldiers will have to seek food from somewhere. Probably domestic ukrainian supplies which will cause a higher casualty rate or POW rate. That's when things could get really really hairy. If surrendering = tasty food and warm bunks the Russians will start having problems that the field commander's will not report..and the troop numbers of reality will quickly be lopsided to the troops being counted as "present".

Wasn't there a Russian Brigadier General or some poo poo caught in that HQ convoy capture?

Whatever happened with him? Ukranians confirmed his documents and orders and everything

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

ughhhh

Can't we just say that a tiny fraction of Ukrainians care about Bandera and not try to revise him. EU governments recognize him as a perpetrator of genocide.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i think it is reasonable to be ultimately pessimistic about how the setpiece battle will play out in the sense of can ukraine maintain a battle line and ultimately block and repel the russian invasion with the ukraine state remaining in control of some amount of territory throughout, without resort to a long insurgency and without a puppet russian government being set up in kiev for some time

that said, i think it's entirely reasonable to be considerably more optimistic about that possibility today than four days ago

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That's not the Armata, it's a T-72B3. Still one of their most advanced tanks.

Edited, thank you.

The account I'm posting has been tracking equipment losses throughout the war so far, so I'm guessing he knows what he's talking about with this.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498085568726683648?t=2tRIKFhjIwnnQKJAmS5dlQ&s=19

Seems like Ukraine still has some cards left to play. Where are they?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

Edited, thank you.

The account I'm posting has been tracking equipment losses throughout the war so far, so I'm guessing he knows what he's talking about with this.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498085568726683648?t=2tRIKFhjIwnnQKJAmS5dlQ&s=19

We're not seeing much video from the actual front lines.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

There Bias Two posted:

Holy poo poo. What melted it to slag?

full ammo cookoff, also why the turret (which weighs like 10,000lbs) got launched off

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grape posted:

What sort of comments were you making here about the likelihood of the invasion happening in the first place? Do we have some reason to believe you have a handle on the direction of things and how Russia has been operating?
What were you posting as this all bubbled over?

I wasn't around. As to what I thought: honestly, I thought he might do it because of the oil dependency the West has and how that might lessen the hurt. The only reason I thought he wouldn't was mud and time of the year. But gently caress that, I guess.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/EnglishUkraine/status/1498116615044575234?s=20&t=oN5jIJIHEzjjHWevHEnmeQ

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/p_zalewski/status/1498058235626020864?s=20&t=VKk0YgY4rFA0UAS5aFmECQ

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Holy poo poo. What melted it to slag?

Internal ammo explosion.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

KitConstantine posted:

Edited, thank you.

we don't know, but they probably aren't being held in reserve. a lot of them are likely at the line of contact. they aren't really a trump card, ukraine's big strength is the fact that they can take out vehicles from far away with a portable rocket. a tank to tank battle is a big, easy target for russia and not super useful.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

Particularly from the east where the bulk of Ukrainian forces are fighting.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of superior equipment - here's a "before and after Ukraine" of the Armata [EDIT: not actually, it's a different high spec tank]

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498076996768866313?t=XUbqAkM0GnDXl6CehmpufA&s=19

How it started | How it's going.

Also yeah, ERA mounted around the sides of the turret isn't going to do much against a Javelin, don't those pop up after launch and come down on top of the target?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

ughhhh

Can't we just say that a tiny fraction of Ukrainians care about Bandera and not try to revise him. EU governments recognize him as a perpetrator of genocide.

It's kind of interesting just how hard Putin is failing on the narrative front so far. Maybe he's gotten himself a lot more invested in what online commenters were saying in the runup to the invasion that he thought this kind of message would resonate further among the Left around the world, allowing him to lean on his traditional right-wing supporters to keep the West off balance.

It's kinda hard to see a Ukrainian officer cadre amassing enough support for a coup given the apparent morale and loyalty of the rank and file, if ever there was a chance for Putin to install a "good man" to roll back Ukraine's liberal drift since 2014. Maybe once more Russian forces are brought to bear and if things become much more hopeless for the Ukrainians.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vando posted:

Absolutely yes, to both.

Okay good you are sane.

You and I both agree thst the US is an imperialist power, no problem there.

How are smaller countries entering an alliance with larger ones of their own accord, because their very large neighbor keeps invading them, imperialism?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

FishBulbia posted:

We are actually seeing surprisingly little combat footage. In 2003 I think CNN had more combat footage in afternoon than what we've seen total so far.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Judakel posted:

Repost it, I'd love to read it. I doubt Russia will stop having buyers for its oil and gas, so I find it unlikely that they won't be able to pay their soldiers. Although I do wonder if they will reduce output to put a hurting on the West and loosen the assets that were frozen. Just how necessary those sales become will depend entirely on how long the war goes.

Oil and gas makes up a significant significant portion of Russian revenue but it is not all of it. Russia maintains an extensive social services system as well. Eventually the choice will become pay for the welfare payments or pay for the soldiers salaries. Chile’s protests was started by a hike in subway fares, kazakhstans by a hike in fuel prices. Cutting them could very rapidly lead to a unraveling of the security at home given examples of the past few years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grammarchist posted:

It's kind of interesting just how hard Putin is failing on the narrative front so far. Maybe he's gotten himself a lot more invested in what online commenters were saying in the runup to the invasion that he thought this kind of message would resonate further among the Left around the world, allowing him to lean on his traditional right-wing supporters to keep the West off balance.

It's kinda hard to see a Ukrainian officer cadre amassing enough support for a coup given the apparent morale and loyalty of the rank and file, if ever there was a chance for Putin to install a "good man" to roll back Ukraine's liberal drift since 2014.

It seems to indicate that Putin just fundamentally does not understand how democracies or popular movements even function. Which makes a kind of sense; he's never actually had to be a politician.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

More photos in thread.

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1498118260012855296?s=20&t=jsUe1X0QQWNeH_2KfkctyQ

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Trump posted:

We are actually seeing surprisingly little combat footage. In 2003 I think CNN had more combat footage in afternoon than what we've seen total so far.

2003 did have the embedded reporters, to be fair. but yeah, it's pretty crazy how thick the fog of war is here, western media has basically zero penetration into ukraine. entire towns can be captured for a day or two and you won't know.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

KitConstantine posted:

Edited, thank you.

There has been some reports of them fighting; however, I read some long thing a couple days ago that basically said that Ukraine's all mechanized forces are being kept in reserve and very carefully kept out of contact with Russian forces until the decision by Ukrainian High Command that the mechanized forces are strategically necessary to deploy. I asked if anyone had an update early today, and nobody did. I figure this is good, that means the location of Ukraine's mechanized forces is, for the most part, staying a well guarded secret.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Internal ammo explosion.

To be more specific Russian tanks pretty much all use carousel autoloaders in the middle of the hull for a number of reasons (compactness, don't need a human loader, etc...), but as a result can't incorporate safeguards like blowout panels that can lessen the effects of an ammo explosion. Often if a penetrating hit reaches the ammo you get a catastrophic explosion that has a habit of popping the turret right off the tank.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It seems to indicate that Putin just fundamentally does not understand how democracies or popular movements even function. Which makes a kind of sense; he's never actually had to be a politician.

Or an economist

And honestly he's a poo poo/ strategist and tactican if this is directed by him. Reminds me of Hitler personally directing the Eastern Front, ironically enough

He's just good at disinformation and making threats like a gangster

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kraftwerk posted:

I was talking to my mom who’s currently on vacation in Europe about this conflict and it’s worse than I thought.

The Serbian people have been hopeless brainwashed by a pro Russian bias. They think they were dealt a bad hand in 1999 and they can’t get over it and move on with their lives so clearly what’s happening in Ukraine is some imperialist plot.

I am so ashamed. I wish people were better than this.

No mention of the “ethnic cleansing” or the rapes I’m guessing.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Trump posted:

U.S. troops had embedded journalists--I don't think there's anything like that here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trump posted:

The ukrainians also seem to be very deliberately avoiding any photographs of bodies. I've seen probably twenty destroyed vehicles for every corpse.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Trump posted:

Ukranian social media was covered absolutely top to bottom with 'do not loving film ukranian forces or positions at all ever under any circumstances' and it's apparently being enforced quite aggressively in practice.

Anecdotally, ukranian forces also get told a story in training about someone the russians wanted to kill so they waited until his mom called him, triangulated his phone off of cell tower pings, and shelled those coordinates. So keep your loving phone off.

Together this has seemingly been pretty effective.

The ukrainians also seem to be very deliberately avoiding any photographs of bodies. I've seen probably twenty destroyed vehicles for every corpse.

if you're following mostly the english language stuff, particular stuff that gets around via retweets from osint and weapons experts and that sort of stuff, a ton of that will have the footage where you can see corpses removed so their accounts don't get shut down

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Oil and gas makes up a significant significant portion of Russian revenue but it is not all of it. Russia maintains an extensive social services system as well. Eventually the choice will become pay for the welfare payments or pay for the soldiers salaries. Chile’s protests was started by a hike in subway fares, kazakhstans by a hike in fuel prices. Cutting them could very rapidly lead to a unraveling of the security at home given examples of the past few years.

That's also ignoring that starting tomorrow Russia enters the global hosed land economically and a depression is about to start.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

He did pretty well politically early, but that was I think in large part in contrast to checked out Yeltsin, which just required looking like he was paying attention.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KitConstantine posted:

Speaking of superior equipment - here's a "before and after Ukraine" of the Armata [EDIT: not actually, it's a different high spec tank]

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498076996768866313?t=XUbqAkM0GnDXl6CehmpufA&s=19

well that settles the "who would win: javelin or fanciest tank" question, i guess

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Ruble just spiked to 130/euro
How high would it go to indicate 'Russia is not recovering economically from this for decades'?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Trump posted:

No videos from the Russians who seem to have enacted tight opsec, limited from Ukrainians. Most is extremely unclear videos from civilians.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Absolutely. There's a ton of stuff that is within Ukrainian borders that Russia has yet to use that could bring this to a quicker end, particularly if taking over cities drag out. Putin might be tempted to wrap things up soon. That worries me. I think those measures might be what Marco was hinting at.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ukranian social media was covered absolutely top to bottom with 'do not loving film ukranian forces or positions at all ever under any circumstances' and it's apparently being enforced quite aggressively in practice.

Anecdotally, ukranian forces also get told a story in training about someone the russians wanted to kill so they waited until his mom called him, triangulated his phone off of cell tower pings, and shelled those coordinates. So keep your loving phone off.

Together this has seemingly been pretty effective.

anecdotally I heard a woman posted Ukrainian troops on Twitter and someone dozed her and some gopniks visited her and made her delete it within an hour

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That's also ignoring that starting tomorrow Russia enters the global hosed land economically and a depression is about to start.

The Russians will just sell their oil and gas to someone not in the global boycott/ banking system and just revamp their economy overnight! :shepface:

Just got to find some new buyers. Maybe the Moon is interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

those MiGs look to be broken down for scrap anyway, why the hell were they targeting those?