Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
About to try out the show Rizzoli & Isles because Liz Lemon asked if they were friends IRL on an episode of 30 Rock I rewatched earlier. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trollologist posted:

I skipped the "Extreme Clickbait Darth Vader's Suit!" Video for the longest time because I didn't want another long winded star wars discussion.

That was a huge mistake. It's probably one of if not my most favorite things RLM has ever done.

I go back to it at least once a year. It's absolute gold.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

About to try out the show Rizzoli & Isles because Liz Lemon asked if they were friends IRL on an episode of 30 Rock I rewatched earlier. :hai:

Or! You can watch Postal.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Trollologist posted:

Or! You can watch Postal.

Buy me a Steam Deck so I can

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Buy me a Steam Deck so I can

The DVD is on Amazon for like, :10bux:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Incredible Melting Man looks a bit like Monster A Go-Go (one of the worst movies ever featured on MST3K) in terms of aimlessness.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

General Dog posted:

Incredible Melting Man looks a bit like Monster A Go-Go (one of the worst movies ever featured on MST3K) in terms of aimlessness.

Incredible Melting Man was also on MST3K.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A little research shows that Melting Man was originally conceived and shot as a parody, but then got retooled to ply it straight in the middle of production. Just like Solo!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So they were half-right about it being a send-up of 50s monster movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1498146094865215493?s=20&t=sIIF0WrzRz0I1cE5cXel9A

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh word? The Disney corporation sticking their hands in the pockets of people they know have money to blow?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Those are reserved for influencers, duh.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh word? The Disney corporation sticking their hands in the pockets of people they know have money to blow?

And targeting their resources to people who sell for them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I re-watched Manhunter (1986) today and I am convinced now it is my favourite Michael Mann film, which surprised me because I loving love Heat. It seems like an art movie with some just awesome shots, and a surprising number of dolly-in shots and pans etc. It's just so loving good and looks incredible. The editing is wild too with the weird abrupt cuts in the middle of a shootout makes it seem even more chaotic. The cast is just perfect, especially Noonan. Love the soundtrack too, with Prime Movers, Shriekback and of course Iron Butterfly.

Augh I just had to gush about it a bit.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Manhunter is a perfect film that's been remade twice and both versions completely suck.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Heat is great but Manhunter is my favorite Mann film as well

I love this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM3qso1m5dE

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 28, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^^^ gently caress yes, Noonan is so goddamn incredible in that both terrifying and also just so devastated all while completely misunderstanding the situation due to his own hang ups.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Manhunter is a perfect film that's been remade twice and both versions completely suck.

It really is, and it's amazing how well it has aged. It has some dated outfits of course but the movie looks loving incredible. Dante Spinotti as DP definitely helps.

Miami Vice is probably the Mann film that comes closest in feel with whole "dream" feeling of it. It's really underrated.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

between manhunter and to live and die in la, william peterson shouldve been a much more successful actor instead of disappearing until he worked on csi like 20 years later

but yeah manhunter loving rules

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
thread reminding me how much i love manhunter and heat :hai:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TIL the reason why the final shootout was so weird: (writeup on why manhunter rules from 2011 here)

quote:

Manhunter was shot almost entirely in chronological sequence, and by the time the final scenes were due to be filmed, much of the crew, exhausted and disgruntled, had packed up and gone home. This perhaps explains why, after a careful build-up, Manhunter’s climactic shoot-out feels rushed and perfunctory.

William Petersen later revealed that many of the gore effects in this sequence were improvised by Mann himself. If you look closely, you can see little jets of blood being sprayed on to the Tooth Fairy’s body from a crewmember lurking just outside the frame.

It's true it does feel rushed but it still works imo. It beats the ending of silence of the lambs in the basement with NVG by a loving mile!

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Gemstones ending was pretty predictable but pretty good season

Having Eric Andre devoured by wolves as an ending shot was unexpected, though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Killing Eve is back and I think I stopped watching it at some point last season, I got mad at some of the plot choices :mad:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
what were the remakes

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

what were the remakes

Red Dragon, which sucked poo poo (Brett Ratner) and Hannibal season 3 which spliced together Hannibal, Red Dragon, and Silence of the Lambs in this mad race to the finish line.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
At least Hannibal s1 and s2 were good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

General Dog posted:

lmao I can only imagine the RLM team's reaction to the monster resolution in MAGG if they've somehow managed to not be spoiled by the mst3k version; I saw it raw and un-quipped and it nearly ended me.

/incredibly high-pitched indignant Rich Evans WHAT THE gently caress!?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's been so long since I was disappointed by it, but iirc Hannibal season 3 starts with the events of Hannibal (Lecter in Italy at the Capponi library) where he's caught by Verger and the pig farm yadda yadda, then it goes into Red Dragon/Manhunter with Lecter in jail guiding Will to catch Dollarhyde, then Will just replaces Clarice and is the protagonist of Silence of the Lambs but then Dollarhyde shows back up and kills Lecter¿???

It's so dumb and bad. If you haven't watched Hannibal, stop at the season 2 finale which is a badass high note and where the show should have ended because then you can just watch Manhunter, Silence, and Hannibal if you need the rest of the story instead of some dog poo poo rushed half-assed remakes.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

At least Hannibal s1 and s2 were good

:hmmyes:

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 28, 2022

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i liked the part where hannibal invited lawrence fishburne to a dinner party and he tested the meat to confirm his suspicious but it came up as pork so he was like "oh i guess he's not a cannibal then". absolutely riveting writing

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
also lol at michael pitt being so hard to work with that they had his character's face get mangled and then recast him. has this ever happened in anything else ever?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mac and Cheese posted:

also lol at michael pitt being so hard to work with that they had his character's face get mangled and then recast him. has this ever happened in anything else ever?

Yeah, Michael Pitt was so hard to work with in Boardwalk Empire that they killed his character at the end of the second season when the original plan was for Eli to die

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Are you guys talking about Hannibal Burress

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, Michael Pitt was so hard to work with in Boardwalk Empire that they killed his character at the end of the second season when the original plan was for Eli to die

uh oh the top half of jimmy darmody's face just got blown off and now he has to wear a porcelain mask on the top half of his head. also michael pitt will not be returning for season 3

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hannibal season 3 ascended into self-parody.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Are you guys talking about Hannibal Burress

He was also cancelled but unlike TV Hannibal I don't know why

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Sagebrush posted:

This thread is the official fan club of the red letter media guys, 50-year-old horror movie dorks who blow all their money on booze and own 10,000 lovely VHS cassettes and make entertaining sarcastic videos about bad movies.

This is clearly nothing like Jenny, a 30-year-old Star Wars dork who blows all her money on Disney paraphernalia and owns 10,000 stuffed animals and makes entertaining sarcastic videos about bad movies.

If you like RLM and can't stand Jenny honestly I'm going to chalk it up to misogyny.

This is from ages ago but shut the gently caress up and go back to marketing Sony garbage you donglord

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

i thought him leaving the eric andre show was a joke but i didn't watch the new season. who has the dirt i wanna see it

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dIxrCv-NuU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh, so you like Lindsay's intelligent deep dives into theater and film presented with professional editing and clips but don't care for Jenny prattling on vlogging style about hotels and direct to video children's cartoons while just dead-eyed staring into a camera

You loving sexist piece of poo poo. I hope you get drafted into the cock and ball torture wars.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Kingo Ligma posted:

This is from ages ago but shut the gently caress up and go back to marketing Sony garbage you donglord

who are you?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
watching The The 5cream (2022)

kind of... obvious, so far
Scream 1 opened in a house
Scream 2 opened in a movie theater
every other movie has opened in an homage to Scream 1

in 1996 we did cellphones
in 2011 we did livestreaming
it's 2022, so, smart houses. wouldn't it be SCARY if like dude we are SO passed the point of this franchise scaring anyone

the crazy violent stalker character reminded me of the racist redneck character from Final Destination 4 who I don't think even got a name before he died while literally burning a cross on a black character's lawn
just like "here's a bad man, oh he's dead. well, that killed 8 minutes"

but I do appreciate that it's jerking me off for being a Scream fan (Stab references, dialogue callbacks ("you don't have to be careful with me, I'm not gonna break"), character named Wes and he's the son of Hicks from 4)

and it was kind of an amusing double bluff to have Red Right Hand (callback!!!!) playing and turn off when the car turns off, and then just come back non-diegetically when stab

paused the video because gah! skeet ulrich!
then I realized her name is sam. :downs: so she's he's long lost sister or something. cool

e:
- daughter. *crumples into dust and blows away*
- that hospital confession scene could have been really maudlin and laughable as written, but they did ok. not great, but ok
- David Arquette's character looking like poo poo and living alone in a hole after Courtney Cox's character left him between this movie and the last one: loving ouch
- Neve Campbell still looks amazing
- I am MARKING THE gently caress. OUT. at giving Dewey back the Broken Arrow theme
- amazed they dug up Heather Matarazzo to reprise her role. I guess she's kept busy, but who even remembers that character besides me? this is like the dream of every fanfic
- lol "the Knives Out guy" directed an extremely polarizing eighth entry in the Stab franchise. kill me
- ok acknowledging that it's fanfic doesn't make it any less fanficcy.
-
doop doop doo! ah, here I am in my bathroom with the three giant unfrosted windows facing the street. time to get fully nude without closing the curtains
_________\|

- jesus christ how many times can you do that close/open door fakeout
- the kills in this movie are pretty undercooked tbh. ghostface basically just pops out and stabs them
- gale! :woop:
- lol bf character getting his opinions on the Stab movies from watching youtube people bitch about them instead of watching the movies 👀
- what is with horror movies and inexplicably empty hospitals? in Scream 4 I thought it was kind of a self-conscious homage to the protracted hospital endings in like Black Christmas 2006 and Halloween 2, but this one seems to be playing it straight. what hospital on earth has this few people in it?
- ghostface cut the power in the hospital? :psyduck: HOW IN THE gently caress
- she was on her cellphone in the elevator :what:
- ok I actually didn't see that coming. hm
- aaand there's Sid. is this a deliberate reference to sequel trilogy's inexplicable resistance toward having a scene where the main trio are reunited? this movie became a Star Wars parody so gradually I didn't even notice
- I miss Hayden Panetierre. did she die in the last one?
- holy poo poo they're leaving lol that rules. if they actually leave that's genuinely interesting and I'm excited to see what they do with it. at this point (~1 hour and 10 minutes in) this movie has an intriguing problem that I've only seen elsewhere in the Platinum Dunes remake of Friday the 13th- there's too many final girls
- of course there's a party at amber's house
- I thinkthe actress that plays amber looks like miranda cosgrove but I have goon face recognizer disease
- male twin's refusal to go have sex and pretty much everything he said was pretty funny
- that was clearly a scene from Stab 1, Randy didn't die until Scream 2, so it's not a movie about your uncle getting stabbed, male twin :arghfist::reject:
- hooray for lesbians
- it's been 4 1/2 movies, but we finally saw somebody's boyfriend who's big and plays football kick the poo poo out of ghostface
- oh holy poo poo he:s even wearing the same letterman jacket steve was. man the people that made this were a bunch of nerds
- see, bf character, if you had actually WATCHED the stab movies you'd knowing clearing the party out is the last thing you want to do. the party in the first movie clearing out to go see principal fonzie's corpse is what set up the entire ending set piece :baduk:
- I don't think stu's house had a basement >:? at least not that we saw
- okay this gag where she's watching the scene where randy is watching halloween and telling him to look behind him while he tells jamie lee curtis to look behind her seems clever but it's really not, because:
a) there was already a second layer to that scene in the original. gale's cameraman was watching from outside on a delay, and ghostface was already on his way to him, so we're telling the cameraman to look out while he's watching randy and telling him to look out while he's watching jamie lee curtis and telling her to look out. it's the exact same gag. except
b) the original had the additional joke of randy being played by an actor who's also named jamie. so while he's saying "jamie look out" we're saying that to him. this doesn't have that because the actor in Stab wouldn't be jamie kennedy, and neither the actress nor the character in this case is named jamie or randy
so it's actually a level less meta than the original :/ :\ :/ :\
- oh, amber's the killer. :geno:
-- that reveal made me think of the end of the Community episode about conspiracies
- "there are always two killers." there was only one killer in the third one, bf character, GOD, you're so STUPID.
- oh, he... oh.
- wait, does this make sense? I don't think this makes sense.
- :stare:
- oh wow, homage to how ghostface wiped the blade off in the first movie haha
- 'eyyyy just when I thought they weren't gonna do the "actor credits next to clips from the movie" thing

- well, I spent pretty much this entire post bitching and nitpicking, but that movie was alright
not sure about the theming... I'm more or less on the movie's side w/r/t toxic fandom but everything about that in the killers' mouths felt really on the nose, and, "your dad was a serial killer and that's your super power" certainly was a choice
but it was enjoyable. Jack Quaid was great. really channelled that unhinged, slightly-questionable-acting-choices-that-totally-work energy that Matthew Lillard and Laurie Metcalf and Liev Schreiber had that the third fourth ones were kinda lacking. and Jenna Ortega and Melissa Barrera are fine young actors who brought a charming pathos to their roles
I award it the highest praise I can bestow: if I had paid for it instead of doing a google search for scream 2022 free online that would have been just fine

Cubone fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can’t remember Hannibal S3 at all but I assume I watched it because I loved that show. It’s like if Hannibal surgically excised that part of my brain and then sauteed it up with some garlic butter. Delicious.