Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Man, gently caress this guy.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SparseAptAphid-mobile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it really cannot be stressed enough that the best way to overcome a boss that you're stuck on in this game is to just go explore somewhere else and come back later. you can have a +3 or +4 flask before even facing Margit if you look around enough.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I’ve been banging my head against him. I forgot I have loving arrows.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've been using the Brick Hammer which can be found in Stormveil Castle. Starts with B scaling in strength but improved it to A scaling with an Ash of War, it was a significant upgrade from the standard mace I was using before then.

Yeah, I have that and did the same thing. I've used it a ton and it's been great, though the short reach is a pain sometimes. I've just been itching to get an endgame-tier pure strength weapon that's longer and hits like a freight train.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

can you spoiler bosses please?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I should have started with a note pad. now I don’t remember peoples/boss’ names and what they want or where they’ll go. might try and scribble some reminders

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone found armor? I can't recall finding anything outside of RNG enemy drops, I'm curious if there's full sets I'm chests and poo poo a la Bloodborne. I see the merchants selling a lot of different sets but I haven't found anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Important question: If you duplicate a remembrance, can you get two of the same item? And if so, is dual-wielding grafted dragons as awesome as it sounds?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Orv posted:

In Siofra you light the eight monuments in the area in order to fight the boss which is up the stairs to the right when you get to the main area.

So, I did that but there's no boss at the top of the stairs? Just the corpse of some monster deer thing. At first, I thought maybe I was too early in the game since I initially found it before Stormveil, but even after getting to the capitol city, that deer is staying dead.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

can you spoiler bosses please?

They just did :razz:

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Man they really ramp up the difficulty on the side dungeon bosses once you leave Limgrave. They went from being a complete cakewalk to feeling like some of the more difficult bosses in the whole series.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Elden Ring is the From game that finally taught me to perpetually look up on entering new areas instead of after I am knee-deep in assholes.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Important question: If you duplicate a remembrance, can you get two of the same item? And if so, is dual-wielding grafted dragons as awesome as it sounds?

I don't think you can, but there's always NG+...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ok real talk how the gently caress can we possibly go back to dark souls after this.

miyazaki you have gone too far

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

sigher posted:

Has anyone found armor? I can't recall finding anything outside of RNG enemy drops, I'm curious if there's full sets I'm chests and poo poo a la Bloodborne. I see the merchants selling a lot of different sets but I haven't found anything.

There are some full sets of armor to be found in chests and certain corpses, it just takes some time to come across them. (at least with the path I've taken)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

One point of order- I've been finding it really frustrating how quickly I die. With medium armor and 20 vigor almost everything seems to kill me in 1-2 hits... is that just how the game is balanced, or are all the areas I'm exploring just way too high-level?

It's mostly a level difference. The way that defense (not absorption, mind you) works out makes it so that non-bosses that are far above your level will hurt like hell, whereas ones far below your level will barely tickle you. Just gaining some levels (or equipping an item that increases a stat to simulate gaining levels) will put you in a significantly better position.

If you still want some extra protection, the Knight's Set from Roundtable is completely rock solid as far as absorption goes. You can also get the Dragoncrest Shield Talisman, which grants something around 10%~ bonus absorption very early into the game - probably within the first hour if you book it - but the way to get it is... convoluted.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

So, I did that but there's no boss at the top of the stairs? Just the corpse of some monster deer thing. At first, I thought maybe I was too early in the game since I initially found it before Stormveil, but even after getting to the capitol city, that deer is staying dead.

Did you interact with the it? Because if it doesn't give you the option you didn't find all the fires

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

ok real talk how the gently caress can we possibly go back to dark souls after this.

they're going back to armored core after this one so i think he agrees with you

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Vermain posted:

It's mostly a level difference. The way that defense (not absorption, mind you) works out makes it so that non-bosses that are far above your level will hurt like hell, whereas ones far below your level will barely tickle you. Just gaining some levels (or equipping an item that increases a stat to simulate gaining levels) will put you in a significantly better position.

If you still want some extra protection, the Knight's Set from Roundtable is completely rock solid as far as absorption goes. You can also get the Dragoncrest Shield Talisman, which grants something around 10%~ bonus absorption very early into the game - probably within the first hour if you book it - but the way to get it is... convoluted.

...son of a bitch, I had no idea that levels mattered for damage output/input. I'd been assuming it was 100% raw numbers. Okay that makes me feel way better... thanks!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is anyone enjoying a straight dex build?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

MAN loving crucible knight goes ham in phase 2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I rode for like five solid minutes through a swamp/lake environment to the north of the map. There's so much of this game world, drat. It's early days, but if it keeps this up it may be the most epic game ever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a kitten posted:

Sounds like the one I posted earlier

Even though I've been playing all weekend there was a ton of stuff I missed.

I just rerolled a dude the check it out and it’s all good and easy . I think I ended up actually fighting like 4 things .

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

KidDynamite posted:

I’ve been banging my head against him. I forgot I have loving arrows.

Summon summon, don't stop summoning. Summons dead? Summon them again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Queering Wheel posted:

Yeah, I have that and did the same thing. I've used it a ton and it's been great, though the short reach is a pain sometimes. I've just been itching to get an endgame-tier pure strength weapon that's longer and hits like a freight train.

Yeah I still feel like I should have a lot more weapons/armor sets for how far I am in the game. Need to at least farm one of those Godrick knights for the armor set so I can look slightly more stylish than the basic knight armor.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
goddamnit. I can parry in BB and Sekiro but something about dark souls parrying just does not click in my head. I cannot do it. gently caress you, crucible knight, for basically needing that skill.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

they're going back to armored core after this one so i think he agrees with you

From Software seems to have two dev teams active at any given time. Elden Ring was developed primarily by a different team than Sekiro, and I'm expecting that the next Armored Core is being made by the Sekiro team (though I also imagine a lot of the Sekiro devs got shifted to ER once that game shipped). The ER team is probably going to make another souls-like game, though I have no idea how they follow up elden ring. seems like an impossible task.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Barudak posted:

Did you interact with the it? Because if it doesn't give you the option you didn't find all the fires

The ones on the staircase were definitely all lit, but I don't recall seeing an interaction prompt despite hopping all over it. I'll check if there's a prompt again after work though, thanks!

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I've watched other people play Souls game, but this is the first one that I've decided to play.

I want to cast all the spells, so I'm going to focus on Intelligence and Faith.

Starting as Astrologer.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

lite_sleepr posted:

Is anyone enjoying a straight dex build?

Not I. I'm legitimately considering rerolling after about 10 hours of a dex build. I've got good weapons for it and its just not that fun. I got through stormveil with it but it just felt like a chore.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

goddamnit. I can parry in BB and Sekiro but something about dark souls parrying just does not click in my head. I cannot do it. gently caress you, crucible knight, for basically needing that skill.

that's because in sekiro you press the button to parry when an attack is about to hit you. in elden ring, you need to start the parry a certain amount of time before it hits you ("windup" frames), such that the attack makes contact in a certain window during the animation. you can kind of think of this as the travel time of a bullet parry in bloodborne if it helps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Still thinking about that jank rear end watchdog boss and the lovely reward lmao. I love it

beep by grandpa posted:

Now we are all sons of bitches

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

str or str/fth first. dex or dex/int for the second time to use all the stuff I couldn’t the first time 👍

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Still thinking about that jank rear end watchdog boss and the lovely reward lmao. I love it

I feel like people with pupaphobia would not have a great time with that thing

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Queering Wheel posted:

There are some full sets of armor to be found in chests and certain corpses, it just takes some time to come across them. (at least with the path I've taken)

Have you found the Vagabond’s set? And if so, where?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Khanstant posted:

haha so do you ever actually have to defeat Margit or the other story bosses? I still keep getting sidetracked on the way back to Margit, and I'm nearly 1/2 or so discovered the map, missed a map fragment or two along the way though.

how the gently caress does the map get even bigger, jesus! Is Margit definitely not the end boss?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lake of WHAT

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is no longer the best From game

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I love the early weeks of a new From game thread. When Bloodborne came out all the conversation for a week was about BSB and how the third phase was a wall. Anyhow it’s a privilege playing this game when online has nothing to tell me and Caelid can be pants-pissingly terrifying even though I assume it’s early mid game at most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ither posted:

I've watched other people play Souls game, but this is the first one that I've decided to play.

I want to cast all the spells, so I'm going to focus on Intelligence and Faith.

Starting as Astrologer.

Uh good luck I guess