Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

I picked up an early 80s Service Merchandise catalog from the thrift shop a while back and really need to post scans, every single page has one of the universal Grandma's House items. Harvest Gold Corelle. The brown libbey glasses. That woodgrained red 8-segment alarm clock radio (holy gently caress that thing was expensive)

If you do this post some in the vantasm thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

wesleywillis posted:

I don't know about you but the reason I can't make a large pizza last for a couple days is because I'm a fat bag of poo poo.

Not fat, just a greedy piece of poo poo. I can't leave a pizza unfinished.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It really is underappreciated in retro 80s stuff how popular wood grain was on everything. The loving Atari had woodgrain on it. Probably why I feel Stranger Things comes closest to really capturing the decade. Everyone house feels like how homes were at the time, while the brand new mall is all neon and poo poo.

Here's an 80s thing, having an old tv that only gets up to 13/26 channels and so you need to get a extra box to put on top of it so you can get the higher channels.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

It really is underappreciated in retro 80s stuff how popular wood grain was on everything. The loving Atari had woodgrain on it. Probably why I feel Stranger Things comes closest to really capturing the decade. Everyone house feels like how homes were at the time, while the brand new mall is all neon and poo poo.

Here's an 80s thing, having an old tv that only gets up to 13/26 channels and so you need to get a extra box to put on top of it so you can get the higher channels.

My parents didn't spring for cable tv until 85/86; and when we did our tv's were newish or something because we never needed one of these

But we were still renting a whole rear end VCR and 3-5 movies every weekend until 87 or so. After that it was renting a nintendo and 2-3 games for the weekend until I earned enough money to buy myself an NES. Weird thing is, once I did that my mom made me get zelda, as if I needed to be forced to. I think she really wanted to play it.

One of my older brothers somehow rigged the coaxial feed in such a way that once we did get a VCR; if you wanted to watch the tape on the downstairs TV you had to hit play on the VCR upstairs, flip a switch on the coax to antenna adapter thingamajig since the Basement TV wasn't cable ready and then yell upstairs to flip the output coax thingamajig feed from the vcr to the basement cable. It doesn't seem like a thing that would require yelling up and down the stairs now that I type it out, but it apparently was.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Sekhmnet posted:

Weird thing is, once I did that my mom made me get zelda, as if I needed to be forced to. I think she really wanted to play it.

It’s so weird to me to have parents who wanted to play video games. Mine always complained that all the games looked the same, the NES was no better than the Atari, et cetera. This was coming from two people who had a 2600 with a couple dozen games and played them regularly when I was an infant, and a dad who would program games on our Atari 8-bit in BASIC from magazines. My dad was finally convinced how advanced games were becoming when he saw Mario 64.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

It’s so weird to me to have parents who wanted to play video games. Mine always complained that all the games looked the same, the NES was no better than the Atari, et cetera. This was coming from two people who had a 2600 with a couple dozen games and played them regularly when I was an infant, and a dad who would program games on our Atari 8-bit in BASIC from magazines. My dad was finally convinced how advanced games were becoming when he saw Mario 64.

This is getting into the early 90s, but I remember when I first saw screenshots of the upcoming Super Mario World in Nintendo Power, I was a bit underwhelmed. I thought it didn't look any better than Super Mario Bros. 3. It took being able to see and play the demo version at my local Wal-Mart to really understand how much more advanced the new system and games were.

On that note: Wal-Mart in the 80s. It was such a different thing back then than it is now. It was a relatively upscale store compared to much of the competition at the time, IIRC.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

The Atari was a 70s look when woodgrain was all the vogue. VCRs and stuff of the time too for sure. If you were in the early-mid 80s and had a lot of old/clearance stuff you were surrounded by woodgrain. By 1982 electronics were moving all black or silver though, like this 2600 revision.

But really, you were surrounded by woodgrain if you had appliances bought or rooms refurbished in the 15 years previous so the 80s experience is homes full of that while the storefronts and ads were all the splashy neon.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Meaty Ore posted:

On that note: Wal-Mart in the 80s. It was such a different thing back then than it is now. It was a relatively upscale store compared to much of the competition at the time, IIRC.

The briefly-lived Bud's was truly Walmart's sleazier cousin. I have only the slightest of slight memories of being in one once. It was installed in what had been the town's first Walmart location ... and has since been a Toys R Us and is now an Ollie's.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My parents basement was definitely woodgrain in the 80s and in to the 90s too. Also had the woodgrain TV and possibly vcr as well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

woodgrain TV

Our woodgrain TV had a channel changer that needed an entire 9v battery

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Killer robot posted:

The Atari was a 70s look when woodgrain was all the vogue. VCRs and stuff of the time too for sure. If you were in the early-mid 80s and had a lot of old/clearance stuff you were surrounded by woodgrain. By 1982 electronics were moving all black or silver though, like this 2600 revision.

But really, you were surrounded by woodgrain if you had appliances bought or rooms refurbished in the 15 years previous so the 80s experience is homes full of that while the storefronts and ads were all the splashy neon.

The junior was pretty sharp too. First console I bought with birthday money. Just in time for 2600 to hit the clearance bins too!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

The junior was pretty sharp too. First console I bought with birthday money. Just in time for 2600 to hit the clearance bins too!
That was our 3rd 2600, after a launch Sears VCS and a black 4-switch. I'm guessing I got it with my paper route money after the others got played to death, so I probably paid less than the official $49, and I sure as hell was getting games for 97 cents at the local drug store/closeout place.

Good times, good times indeed.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

This may be more a 90s thing, but you saying "Video games at the local drug store" like... unlocked this memory of Star Market (or maybe it was Shaws), the local supermarket, having like... maybe two or three rows near Produce of VHS and video game rentals. I remember asking if I could go look at them (not even rent one, just look at the boxes) while my parents were checking out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gromit posted:

Not fat, just a greedy piece of poo poo. I can't leave a pizza unfinished.

:same:

It doesn't help when I leave half of it for my roommate and she says she only wants a little piece, because at that point the rest of that fucker is all mine!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When I was a fatty if we got pizza I would always tell everyone else to get *exactly* as much as they wanted first because I knew I was going to eat everything that was left, no matter how much that was.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Neito posted:

This may be more a 90s thing, but you saying "Video games at the local drug store" like... unlocked this memory of Star Market (or maybe it was Shaws), the local supermarket, having like... maybe two or three rows near Produce of VHS and video game rentals. I remember asking if I could go look at them (not even rent one, just look at the boxes) while my parents were checking out.

My town's first video/video game rental place was in a furniture store. Our lone supermarket had video rental for a few years in the 1990s. The last one of these I saw was at an Ingles outside Athens, Georgia, 12 years ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The correct number of pizza slices is 2(two)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Lol in the early 80s my town got a Dominos and my parents went out to dinner and my big sister ordered a pizza. My parents were horrified when they found out because getting food delivered was something that might get neighbors talking about “putting on airs”

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cat Hassler posted:

Lol in the early 80s my town got a Dominos and my parents went out to dinner and my big sister ordered a pizza. My parents were horrified when they found out because getting food delivered was something that might get neighbors talking about “putting on airs”

Before I was born, Boston got a Dominos and my dad said some famous last words: "No slices and no place to sit? This place will never last".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Neito posted:

Yeah, my local grocery store definitely did VHS rentals for a while. poo poo EVERYTHING did VHS rentals for a while.

I wonder if places like Ollies have sucked the air out of the closeout market, because growing up in Buffalo, there were a bunch of half drug store (or convenience store) half closeout stock places.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, my local grocery store definitely did VHS rentals for a while. poo poo EVERYTHING did VHS rentals for a while.

I wonder if places like Ollies have sucked the air out of the closeout market, because growing up in Buffalo, there were a bunch of half drug store (or convenience store) half closeout stock places.

Might be a regional thing; around here most pharmacies were more like mega convinience stores or tiny grocery stores with a pharmacy attached, usually with a big beauty care area.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i distinctly remember being like 7 years old and being awoken one night by my parents who were silently playing the brand new nintendo in my room at like 2 am with a blanket draped over the tv and their heads to muffle the light

they were playing tetris

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

stealie72 posted:

Meijer had a little room near the checkout lanes filled with greasy/sticky VHS rentals. The supermarket selections were hit and miss though, but they were cheaper and you're probably going to the supermarket once a week anyway so it probably made them a lot of money. The stand alone places that all became hollywood video/blockbusters or had to close because a hw or a bb opened up next to them were a little more expensive, but they had 'new' releases and nintendo/sega/etc cartridges for rental as well.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i distinctly remember being like 7 years old and being awoken one night by my parents who were silently playing the brand new nintendo in my room at like 2 am with a blanket draped over the tv and their heads to muffle the light

they were playing tetris

My mom, twice, out of character, briefly got into Nintendo. Once for Rad Racer, and again for Tetris. That was it. Atari, then those two NES games, and then never again.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

My mom, twice, out of character, briefly got into Nintendo. Once for Rad Racer, and again for Tetris. That was it. Atari, then those two NES games, and then never again.

My mom may have actually played my NES and SNES more than I did when you count school. She loved the typical "slightly older mom" video games like Tetris and Dr. Mario (which my dad also got mad into) and the first three Zeldas, but also, for some reason, was incredibly into Mario 3.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

When I was 6 or 7 (so 89 or 90, maybe 91?) my mom made me sit down with her and start up a game in Dragon Warrior 2 (I still haven't finished it!). She was extremely into the Nintendo and got a Game Genie to help chest her way through Mario 3. We got a subscription to Nintendo Power because they had some thing where you'd get a free copy of Dragon Warrior 1. Someone once told me there were Atari games she could play facing away from the TV or while blindfolded, apparently she knew what was happening based on the sound.

If she were around today I'm sure she'd be all over new consoles and such.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My mom likes two video games; Katamari Damacy (last level only) and Donkey Kong Country (mine cart level only)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

We got a subscription to Nintendo Power because they had some thing where you'd get a free copy of Dragon Warrior 1.

Same. Took me years to get into that game but eventually I did and fell into jrpgs for a long time afterward. Even goddamn Tecmo’s Secret of the Stars :whoptc:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Hardcordion posted:

My mom likes two video games; Katamari Damacy (last level only) and Donkey Kong Country (mine cart level only)

Because she likes picking up trash and then the ride down deep holes?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Phy posted:

Our woodgrain TV had a channel changer that needed an entire 9v battery

"Channel changer", heh. No need for that when you have only one TV channel in your country. (As was the case here until 1992 -- cable TV existed but mostly only in urban areas, not where I lived.) Only time you'd gently caress with the dial was if the closest transmitter had technical problems so you'd try to get signals from one of the others in the region.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Every 80’s fridge had one of these pitchers in it.

And every pitcher was full of a different flavor of Kool-Aid or Wyler’s.

And sometimes…Tang.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can tell you how many times I dumped the contents because the lid let loose unexpectedly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mine was brown, but jesus I'm having flashbacks.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Gonz posted:

And sometimes…Tang.

I'm still not convinced the button on the lid's knob does anything. I think that might be what makes it premium 'tupperware' instead of 'generic rubberized plastic pitcher'.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gonz posted:

And sometimes…Tang.

Checks out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We didn't have that exact type, but we kept orange juice (made from frozen ofc) in a very similar container.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Neito posted:

My mom may have actually played my NES and SNES more than I did when you count school. She loved the typical "slightly older mom" video games like Tetris and Dr. Mario (which my dad also got mad into) and the first three Zeldas, but also, for some reason, was incredibly into Mario 3.

The best gift I ever got my mom - by far - was Dr. Mario 64.

I had bought the N64 for myself, but when I moved, I left it with her because she was playing it way more than I was. The only other video game she ever cared about was (surprise!) Dr. Mario on the NES.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neito posted:

Mine was brown, but jesus I'm having flashbacks.

Green for us, but yeah same

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We didn't have that exact type, but we kept orange juice (made from frozen ofc) in a very similar container.

I was all about that FIVE ALIVE back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The most important thing is that it didn't really matter what the hell kind of beverage was in that pitcher.

When you took it out of the fridge and poured it into a glass, ice or no ice, it was just above freezing to exist as a liquid and not a slush. Cold like a liquid was that just brought up out of a well on the dark side of Pluto; just a few molecular stages below liquid nitrogen. It was the most refreshing thing in the world. No amount of thirst would go unquenched after drinking from it.

I am convinced that physics operated differently between 1980 and 1989.