Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
if i could have hacked it and learned chinese i'd probably still be in china and going out with russians

e:

uhhhh uh oh page 486 is very cursed

but i have put a ward on the jiangshi mods, may our posts not be possesed by bad takes

Booty Pageant fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The way things are going, we'll all be going out with the Russians before the month is over.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
What do we do if the thread reaches 893 pages tho!?!?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Booty Pageant posted:

if i could have hacked it and learned chinese i'd probably still be in china and going out with russians

e:

uhhhh uh oh page 486 is very cursed

but i have put a ward on the jiangshi mods, may our posts not be possesed by bad takes

Rasputin was a Chinese hopping vampier

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

What do we do if the thread reaches 893 pages tho!?!?!

then we gotta watch the shinjuku incident

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/Lindadalew/status/1496731371469164547

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1IzA4-3u1w&t=161s

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I don't know about the amount of Chinese citizens in the Ukraine but did they not evacuate staff or citizens? What happens if one dies during the war? Is China gonna turn an eye to that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no evacuations by prc

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The rationale might be that China and Russia are BFF 5eva bcuz dats longer than 4eva so therefore you will be safe as long as they know you're from the glorious PRC.

E: no, I doubt they'll do anything to directly protect Chinese people living in Ukraine. But I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't know about the amount of Chinese citizens in the Ukraine but did they not evacuate staff or citizens? What happens if one dies during the war? Is China gonna turn an eye to that?

I would think it's fairly safe to assume that China is quite willing to tolerate some accidental casualties in order to avoid offending Russia by ordering an evacuation. This invasion clearly furthers their goal of conquering Taiwan, so China is going to be pretty supportive of it. If there were significant losses they'd probably blame the Ukrainians and organize a Russian airlift. Realistically, staff and families sheltering in the embassy will probably be fairly safe.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 24, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I dunno, China doesn't have the greatest track record of keeping its embassies safe during military actions.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

McGavin posted:

I dunno, China doesn't have the greatest track record of keeping its embassies safe during military actions.

Fair enough, and I certainly wouldn't bet on it. I'm thinking mostly from the perspective that the site probably won't be intentionally bombed or stormed by infantry. It may very well be damaged or even accidentally bombed like in Belgrade, but as long as it doesn't catch fire it would probably protect most of the people inside.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

I would think it's fairly safe to assume that China is quite willing to tolerate some accidental casualties in order to avoid offending Russia by ordering an evacuation. This invasion clearly furthers their goal of conquering Taiwan, so China is going to be pretty supportive of it. If there were significant losses they'd probably blame the Ukrainians and organize a Russian airlift. Realistically, staff and families sheltering in the embassy will probably be fairly safe.

the invasion is in support of a separatist movement, its absolutely dog poo poo for the taiwan thing if viewed in that way

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

No that would be more like “oh the pro ccp people of Taiwan have declared independence but are being massacred we must send Xi’s volunteers to protect them in a peacekeeping mission!”

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.whatsonweibo.com/chinese-term-wuxin-gongzuo-cant-focus-on-work-due-to-russia-ukraine-crisis/

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, this was pretty funny:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

McGavin posted:

I've heard of managers being pigs but this is ridiculous!!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

McGavin posted:

Lol but also :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the invasion is in support of a separatist movement, its absolutely dog poo poo for the taiwan thing if viewed in that way
There are a lot of confounding factors like China being the only ones willing to sell Russia microchips after tomorrow, or even Hua Chunying being too ashamed to trot out the "internal affairs" line if China were to speak up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Posting this here because several thread regulars have literally been to the restaurant I'm talking about.

I found out today that the gem of a Thai restaurant I would bring visiting Goons to in Bangkok wasn't closed because of covid or going out of business. The owner was crossing the street and was killed by a passing tuk tuk.

Absolutely tragic.

Rest in peace. You made some amazing loving cuisine.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
A very Bangkok way to die.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
death by tuk tuk

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Tuk, Tuk, Goosed.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Death of a thousand tuks

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Atlas Hugged posted:

Posting this here because several thread regulars have literally been to the restaurant I'm talking about.

I found out today that the gem of a Thai restaurant I would bring visiting Goons to in Bangkok wasn't closed because of covid or going out of business. The owner was crossing the street and was killed by a passing tuk tuk.

Absolutely tragic.

That's hosed, sorry to hear, glad you have some fond memories of him and the establishment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Absolutely tragic.

gently caress that sucks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was sad when restrictions lifted and I started traveling to the area again and noticed it was closed, but downright heartbroken when I learned why yesterday. Apparently he had a pretty big funeral with all of the local restaurant and shop owners attending because he was so drat well liked.

The restaurant had one of those menus that was impossibly large, like hundreds of dishes. They'd drop this gigantic binder full of pictures on the table and you could spend seriously half an hour or longer just flipping through it. I would make a point of ordering something different every time I went in addition to a couple of staples, and I don't think I was ever disappointed. His presentation was also topnotch, serving most dishes with some combination of folded banana leaves as plates and decorations and carved melons as bowls for sauces. He had also spent the last few years getting into baking and had been running a popular Western style bakery with the best sourdough I've ever had. In fact, when I was talking about it at work yesterday, a coworker realized he knew the guy just through the bakery and hadn't even realized there was a whole other restaurant that he'd been running for years.

It is singularly the biggest cultural loss in the region. The wife packed up and left, which is entirely understandable. There's a little street food vendor running out of the front of the old shophouse now and nothing left.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was easily the best meal I had in Bangkok, rivaled only by that place another goon took me to in a copse of trees down a random railroad track.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Grand Fromage posted:

Despite what the various Friedmans like to write in their columns, China's pretty bad about planning for things. Korean society is also built on last minute scrambling to address easily foreseeable problems.

This is like the primary procedure for most Chinese bosses. The other is find a patsy to take the heat while you prepare your Golden Parachute, but that seems pretty typical for most countries, really.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Atlas Hugged posted:

Absolutely tragic.

Traffic violence is a pox on humanity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lot of “Chinese behaving badly on the world stage” re: Ukraine

https://twitter.com/lvcatablecc/status/1497242448359133184?s=21

https://twitter.com/peter24179920/status/1497500882199617538?s=21

https://twitter.com/byron_wan/status/1497639044703916034?s=21

https://twitter.com/thisiswenhao/status/1497438758349811713?s=21

https://twitter.com/petshopman1985/status/1497438320707907585?s=21

There was one translating wumao bloodthirst posts (as opposed to the thirst posts) but it had a racial slur on it so I’ll pass on that

Not all of it bad tho

https://twitter.com/dong_mengyu/status/1497562693615554562?s=21

https://twitter.com/fcheckchina/status/1497895344645885955?s=21

https://twitter.com/homo42202361/status/1497497957427412996?s=21

This guy got tiananmen squared quick
https://twitter.com/badiucao/status/1497899441931513856?s=21

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 28, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

That was the fastest tone shift I've seen on Weibo comments over Ukraine.

The first day of this all it was seriously all 4chan level stuff. Now a lot of the posts themselves have a "holy poo poo behave yourself in the comments" addendum. It's still pretty bad, but in a different way. Like I saw one popular comment that was "I have been watching many Douyin videos on this Putin guy and, as a result of my research I have concluded he is a very intelligent man."

Just wanna make fun of that person so bad... loving Douyin research 2022 is stupid.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
having dinner and watching tvb news as usual, ukraine comes up and the old man goes on a rant about how they're all cia, i bit into a bone shard at that point.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Booty Pageant posted:

ukraine comes up and the old man goes on a rant about how they're all cia

The CIA loving wishes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1497950220952346629?s=20&t=-Hllpdnc0ZVLLLW5XNSB2g

there;s also this one going around which is ironic since dude looks decidedly not Han

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

"I am willing to accept beautiful Ukrainian women between ages 10~26"

:chloe:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
My old coworker in China put her son into both basketball AND swimming in the hopes of making him grow tall. She's about 150cm, while her husband is about 175cm. Despite this, like the superstition in modern Chinese culture goes, they believe that their boy will sprout up like a tree because he is now doing exactly what all the tall people do.

It reminds me of the opening couple pages in Body by Science, by Doug McGuff and John Little:

quote:

ASSUMING A CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ACTIVITY AND APPEARANCE

You’ve probably heard the following type of advice: “Do you want to have the long, lean muscles of a swimmer? Then swim! Don’t lift weights—-you’ll look like a bodybuilder!” Such claims are made all the time, and, despite their proliferation, they’re wrong. Once again, you can chalk it up to the way the human mind operates. People will see a group of champion swimmers and observe a certain appearance, or they’ll see a group of professional bodybuilders and observe another appearance, and it seems logical to assume that there is something about what these athletes are doing in their training that has created the way they appear. However, this assumption is a misapplication of observational statistics.

If you should ever attend a national AAU swim meet and sit through the whole day’s competition, from the initial qualifiers to the finals, you would see these “swimmer’s bodies” change dramatically over the course of the day. This speaks to the fact that it isn’t the activity of swimming, per se, that produces this “type” of body; rather, a particular body type has emerged that is best suited for swimming. In other words, the genetic cream rises to the top through the selective pressure of competition. Competition, it can be said, is simply accelerated evolution.

The swim meet starts with the qualifying round. Perusing the people who are up on the blocks prior to the firing of the starter’s pistol, you will note a broad array of body types. When the quarterfinals roll around, those body types will begin to resemble each other. When you get to the semifinals, they will look very similar, until finally, the competitors standing on the starting blocks during the championship look like clones. The reason? A self-selection process: accelerated evolution.

However, most of us simply watch the finals and see a group of people who look almost identical in terms of their body type competing in the same activity, and we conclude that this particular activity produced this body type. Thus, we draw an inference that is invalid because we are lacking a broader context, which in this instance should have included all of the different body types that also trained and engaged in the event. This is why you will hear people saying that you “ought to enroll in a Pilates class, so that you will develop a dancer’s body,” or you “ought to take dance aerobics classes, so that you will develop a dancer’s body,” or you “ought to take up swimming, because you want long, lean muscles, not big, bulky muscles.” Such statements are the result of misapplied observations and of assumed cause-and-effect relationships that are actually inverted: it wasn’t the activity that produced the body type; it was the body type that did well in that activity. It is the genetic endowment that produces the body type. Therefore, if one desires to have the body type of, say, a champion swimmer, the best course is to start by having the same parents as that champion swimmer—-rather than his or her training methods.

I guess you gotta force your kid to do something with his free time instead of playing with his friends.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lamarkism.

Edit: I guess Lysenkoism would be more appropriate for China:

Wikipedia posted:

Lysenko forced farmers to plant seeds very close together since, according to his "law of the life of species", plants from the same "class" never compete with one another. Lysenko played an active role in the famines that caused the deaths of millions of Soviet people and his practices prolonged and exacerbated the food shortages. The People's Republic of China under Mao Zedong adopted his methods starting in 1958, with calamitous results, culminating in the Great Chinese Famine of 1959 to 1962, in which some 15–55 million people died.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 3, 2022

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

McGavin posted:

I can’t see why China would do anything that would give Russia a reason to bomb them though in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

PITY BONER posted:

My old coworker in China put her son into both basketball AND swimming in the hopes of making him grow tall. She's about 150cm, while her husband is about 175cm. Despite this, like the superstition in modern Chinese culture goes, they believe that their boy will sprout up like a tree because he is now doing exactly what all the tall people do.

It reminds me of the opening couple pages in Body by Science, by Doug McGuff and John Little:

I guess you gotta force your kid to do something with his free time instead of playing with his friends.

I mean, if he's being fed correctly and he's exercising well, that'll go a long way.