Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Next year you'll start getting Croatia-minted Euros as we enter the Eurozone. Ten months to go and we already have a scandal.

The image of the marten (a ferret-like animal) which will appear on the 1€ coin was copied illegally from a Scottish photographer's web site. The "designer" who stole it was asking about basic photo editing tools on social media before submitting the design, which won in the end. Some proper designers were formally involved in the selection, but in reality their suggestions how to organize a professional process were ignored and politicians and bankers just picked a picture they liked. So Croatian contribution to European money is dilettantism (both in creating the work and in approving it) and theft, natural products of our political system.

Also, Serbian national bank protested about Nikola Tesla on the 50c coin because Tesla was an ethnic Serb. He was born in Austrian Empire, present-day Croatia, and only visited Serbia once. Still, Serbia claims him as theirs since they are the self-proclaimed guardians and heirs of all ethnic Serbs regardless of borders or historical facts. Natural products of their system - expansionism and nationalism.

The winner also got a hefty amount of prize money to boot. The Tesla business is just nationalism.txt, sadly. At least the marten is cute though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

And for some reason I don't think I even realised pine martens were things outside of Scotland. I shouldn't be surprised, not like there's many Britain only species

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why not simply reuse the marten / kuna picture from the current coins?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

steinrokkan posted:

Why not simply reuse the marten / kuna picture from the current coins?

It's a different coin, different background, so it does make some sense to try a different picture - at least in theory.

After huge backslash, the "designer" withdrew his design today. I'm not sure how that can work since the contest is already over, he was given the award etc. I guess the national bank has to go along and then either select the second best, or void the contest. They could also buy the picture from its author but that would mean admitting the responsibility so it won't happen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

forkboy84 posted:

And for some reason I don't think I even realised pine martens were things outside of Scotland. I shouldn't be surprised, not like there's many Britain only species

Yeah no they have quite a wide distribuition in Europe, including the balkans. Common here in Sweden too (hard to spot though) and for a while i thought they had an almost exlusively boreal range.

Along with beech martens. But just learned that croatians call their currency "martens" (Kuna) as their fur historically was used as a unit of value. Had no idea.

edit: no marten is as cute as the sable.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 8, 2022

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pine martens are really important in Ireland as a predator of the invasive grey squirrel

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I didn't think I would ever see the EU act as forcefully as it does now. It's never been this united on an issue, either.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Torrannor posted:

I didn't think I would ever see the EU act as forcefully as it does now. It's never been this united on an issue, either.
Everyone in Europe is always eager to work together to start a war capable of kiling everyone on the continent.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I think the eu, especially Germany were caught with their pants down and are now trying to save face.
But yeah there's something more here other than Putin going mask off.
On the other hand the last 4 days felt like months and the last 6 years felt like decades so maybe we are all in hell.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Torrannor posted:

True, but I think behind all the european decisions since the ukrainian conflict started there's just the U.S. administration giving them instructions to further put pressure on Russia.
Personally, I think the latest decisions are just crazy: no fly zone enforced over Ukraine? smuggle combat hardware to one side of the conflict? are they out of their minds or what?
All these options lead us europeans to a direct war against Russia, a country who owns hundreds of nukes.
I hope they are just empty threats to test russian response, but even in this case it means you decide to play with fire.
In the other case where E.U. leaders really mean what they're sayin'.......well......May God have mercy of their souls.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Knightsoul posted:

Personally, I think the latest decisions are just crazy: no fly zone enforced over Ukraine?

This is not happening?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm sure just letting Russia annex a sovereign country is way smarter. And then, in a few years, the next one. And the next one after that.

Russia having nukes means we just have to let them pass.

Toplowtech posted:

Everyone in Europe is always eager to work together to start a war capable of kiling everyone on the continent.

You might want to check your timeline: Russia started this war.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I think the eu, especially Germany were caught with their pants down and are now trying to save face.
But yeah there's something more here other than Putin going mask off.
On the other hand the last 4 days felt like months and the last 6 years felt like decades so maybe we are all in hell.

Like I think the issue is, Germany and the EU have refused to see the russians for what they are, as well as ourselves. We've refused to see ourselves as a geopolitical power block. We thought we could expand eastwards but not have to actually do anything to secure our eastern flanks, we're all "Oh history ended in 1991 and it's all business forever now, russia will see sense and we'll be trade partners and never have a war. Business sense will prevail. This talk about spheres of influence is pure nonsense, we don't even got those!" And that's really been the german foreign policy towars Russia. And on the larger EU side there's not been a coherent view on Russia making us look weak and fractured. I believe this is a large reason Putin decided to attack now. The EU needed to put up a solid front and be all like "any attack on Ukraine (our sphere of influence now, fuckers) will be met with direct military force and a counter invasion, don't even think it putin" but we never did. And if the EU is gonna have a border with russia that's how we need to act, or ukraine needed to do finlandization 2.0 which was not going to happen. That kinda stance should've been the default after 2014.

I thought this was a good explanation on why Russia is attacking now. There where more reasons than I thought, I did not know Crimea was faring so poorly or that their water supplies where cut off. And Russia is not getting stronger, so their ability to do this in the future will be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If61baWF4GE

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Knightsoul posted:

True, but I think behind all the european decisions since the ukrainian conflict started there's just the U.S. administration giving them instructions to further put pressure on Russia.

The EU has agency, you know?

The reason the response is so severe is that Russia is involved in a conventional war of aggression against a country the population of Poland right on the Polish, Slovakian, Hungarian, and Bulgarian border.

Doing some proxy insurgency crap in a third country is one thing, rolling tanks on the EU border is an immediate existential threat to east European states. Look to east in the morning and you can see a ball of white hot rage rising… that's Polish politicians going supercritical.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

You might want to check your timeline: Russia started this war.

This war started in 2008 at the bucharest convention when NATO trespassed the red line declaring Ukraine and Georgia as next members.
Even Merkel and Sarkozy were against that decision: they knew on the long run it would have meant big troubles with the russians.
But in the end, as always, U.S. administration imposed its will on the others and took the chance (once again) to harrass Russia.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Knightsoul posted:

This war started in 2008 at the bucharest convention when NATO trespassed the red line declaring Ukraine and Georgia as next members.
Even Merkel and Sarkozy were against that decision: they knew on the long run it would have meant big troubles with the russians.
But in the end, as always, U.S. administration imposed its will on the others and took the chance (once again) to harrass Russia.

No, this war started in 2014, when Russia annexed multiple regions from Ukraine.

The idea that Putin started this war of aggression because of NATO is, quite frankly, moronic. Putin couldn't have done more to strengthen NATO. Putin very obviously doesn't feel threatened by NATO, the idea that he was fearing an invasion of Russia is very obviously untrue.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 28, 2022

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Doing some proxy insurgency crap in a third country is one thing, rolling tanks on the EU border is an immediate existential threat to east European states.

There's not one single signal that could mean Putin wants to keep rolling tanks east once he wrecked Ukraine.
He knows well it would mean 3rd world war against NATO.
So the argument of "immediate existential threat" is pure fantasy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It is however an existential threat to Ukraine. But I guess that doesn't matter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Knightsoul posted:

There's not one single signal that could mean Putin wants to keep rolling tanks east once he wrecked Ukraine.

It would be pretty cool if he started rolling tanks east this very second, tbh

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Knightsoul posted:

Will that still be true in 16 years? The US is vulnerable to a Trumpist takeover that could end US participation in NATO. And suddenly Europe has no way to react to a Russian invasion of the Baltics except to pray that Putin(or his successor) won't use thermobaric weapons on Riga. Neither France nor Britain will end the world with their nuclear arsenal over the Baltics, or at least it's far from guaranteed. Russia is a huge problem for Europe now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As distasteful as I find rearmament, I think it's necessary for the EU to be able to stand on its own.

It's a lesson we should have learned (and implemented!) when Trump was in office.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

It is however an existential threat to Ukraine. But I guess that doesn't matter.

At this point, it really doesn't matter from a geopolitical view: if Ukraine would have kept their feet on the ground and admit their status of small country positioned right beside a big regional power like Russia is, nothing of what is happening these days would have happen.
Instead our genius european leaders deceived them thinkin' they could join NATO or the E.U., and that's where we are now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Knightsoul posted:

At this point, it really doesn't matter from a geopolitical view

Protip, immediately discount anybody who starts talking about ..--***geopolitics***---... since they have nothing to say that hasn't been discredited thousand times over, both practically, and especially morally.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Protip, immediately discount anybody who starts talking about ..--***geopolitics***---... since they have nothing to say that hasn't been discredited thousand times over, both practically, and especially morally.

pratically geopolitics just explain' the world how it goes, like it or not.
Morally for sure is sad, but still it's true.
But no one said that life is fair.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Knightsoul posted:

It describes how certain people wish the world would "go", and how they would have others think about international relations as a matter of "natural laws". Which is why it's a strain of thinking that has always attracted nothing but history's worst monsters. Not because it is a theory with merit, but because it's their theory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KozmoNaut posted:

As distasteful as I find rearmament, I think it's necessary for the EU to be able to stand on its own.

It's a lesson we should have learned (and implemented!) when Trump was in office.

But that would require actually doing things and spending money.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But that would require actually doing things and spending money.

I know, the two mortal enemies of the EU.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah germany rearming is a really good precedent that never resulted in anything bad

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As long as no Austrians get involved.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Truga posted:

yeah germany rearming is a really good precedent that never resulted in anything bad

Well better get used to letting russia do as they want then.

I mean, there are no good options here.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well better get used to letting russia do as they want then.

I mean, there are no good options here.

Germany is not rearming, its just gojng to hand out bigger bags of cash for nothing in return. Germany alreasy had the highest military budget in Europe aside from Russia and nothing to show for it outside fat consultancy contracts for McKinsey and very vell financed neo nazi networks in the Bundeswehr.

This extra heap of cash is not going to solve the structural problems of the Bundeswehr at all.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Fame Douglas posted:

No, this war started in 2014, when Russia annexed multiple regions from Ukraine.

The idea that Putin started this war of aggression because of NATO is, quite frankly, moronic. Putin couldn't have done more to strengthen NATO. Putin very obviously doesn't feel threatened by NATO, the idea that he was fearing an invasion of Russia is very obviously untrue.

Who knows what Putin was actually thinking when he decided to invade Ukraine – if at all – but it's been clear for decades that Russia sees Ukraine as their backyard. You say NATO has nothing to do with it, but that's not how the Russians are seeing it, but I guess they'll change their minds if you pop into Moscow and call them morons in thinking so.

No, this whole mess started when EU stumbled into Ukraine, and Putin suddenly realising that Ukraine was actually thinking of joining them. Idealistically countries should join whatever union or alliance they want, but in the world of realpolitics that is not without consequences. Which is what we are reaping at this moment.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Truga posted:

love the implied "all Germans are, and always will be, Nazis", but fear not - there is no chance Germany will actually end up with a working army
good time to buy some stocks tho

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Knightsoul posted:

From a neorealist realpolitiks perspective, it makes rational sense for you to shut the gently caress up and lick my spheres of influence

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Haramstufe Rot posted:

love the implied "all Germans are, and always will be, Nazis", but fear not - there is no chance Germany will actually end up with a working army
good time to buy some stocks tho

I mean, armies and especially security forces do seem to be chock full of Nazis, but it's not a uniquely German problem.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Knightsoul posted:

At this point, it really doesn't matter from a geopolitical view: if Ukraine would have kept their feet on the ground and admit their status of small country positioned right beside a big regional power like Russia is, nothing of what is happening these days would have happen.
Instead our genius european leaders deceived them thinkin' they could join NATO or the E.U., and that's where we are now.

It's kinda starting to look like this view is not fully accurate tho, the political, economic, military and reputation coat to the Russians are already pretty substantial and it's not out of the question that a week from now it will be obvious that they should not have done this even from an amoral Realpolitik pov

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, the ones getting realpolitik checked now are the russians. The rest of us got an admittedly ugly wakeup call and finally a chance to pile on that gently caress putin for once. Everyone seems to enjoy that immensely.

All the ukranians got was more abuse from their creepy ex.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 28, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It describes how certain people wish the world would "go", and how they would have others think about international relations as a matter of "natural laws". Which is why it's a strain of thinking that has always attracted nothing but history's worst monsters. Not because it is a theory with merit, but because it's their theory.

The truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! It's a dog eat dog world out there. The strong flourish and the weak serve them or die. You better believe it, buddy! It is what it is and always gonna be. Also, for my next act watch my mental gymnastics to reconcile this with my self-image as a leftist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

aphid_licker posted:

It's kinda starting to look like this view is not fully accurate tho, the political, economic, military and reputation coat to the Russians are already pretty substantial and it's not out of the question that a week from now it will be obvious that they should not have done this even from an amoral Realpolitik pov
Yeah, the Realpolitik view of things also applies to Russia itself vis-a-vis NATO/the EU/the rest of the world. If Russia had admitted to itself that its days as a superpower were over then they wouldn't be in this mess either. Instead they're blowing up their reputation trying to relieve their glory days, when they could have just treated the mellowed-out Europe as a demilitarized zone and shifted their remaining geopolitical weight into the Caucasus and Central Asia instead.