Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

Russia didn't invade its neighbors in the 90s. Could you please stop mischaracterizing our arguments?

Correct, NATO expanded enthusiastically because Russia invaded its neigbours in every decade prior to the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Correct, NATO expanded enthusiastically because Russia invaded its neigbours in every decade prior to the 90s.

And every decade after

I love the 90s

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Majorian posted:

Russia didn't invade its neighbors in the 90s. Could you please stop mischaracterizing our arguments?

The Georgians would like a word with you.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I guess the first Chechen war doesn't count as "foreign", not that it likely mattered to their neighbors.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Despera posted:

And every decade after

I love the 90s

And during the 90s (Georgia, Moldova). And for centuries before, although to be fair a bit of that went the other way too. And Eastern Europeans have long memories.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 28, 2022

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
"Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks" by Ilya Repin has been posted a few times in the thread, but I felt it needed something....

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

"Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks" by Ilya Repin has been posted a few times in the thread, but I felt it needed something....

Russian Tsar Go gently caress youself

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

the popes toes posted:

Nah, Putin is the crime boss, the oligarch his lieutenants. They were appointed. He put them there because they were willing to be controlled for the tax: loyalty and kickback.

Crime bosses get betrayed by their lieutenants all the time though, either because they are too hard or too weak or loving up the money. Also we don’t know what’s going on in the minds of the field officers and commanders of the various geographic districts from who you would expect a coup to come.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Word is that China has been sending supplies to Russia since the US and the EU has been illegally helping the Ukraine.
Nothing verifiable though.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

fnox posted:

This is propaganda, made to be effective precisely to western peoples who need some sort of confirmation that the nazis in the situation are actually the Ukrainians. War is hell, the Polish border is seeing hundreds of thousands of migrants crossing it and there’s not enough resources and personnel. Even if it was the actual Ukrainian army being responsible for this, without context, without verification, this serves nothing but to aid the Russian cause.

These people wouldn’t be there if it weren’t for the loving Russians creating a humanitarian crisis, let’s not forget that.

Regardless of if the videos are the polish or the ukrainian army im not really comfortable with saying that beating and shooting refugees is somehow excusable because its stressful at the border.

You can simply say "wow that seems bad. they shouldnt do that, but i still support them." It in no way helps the russians to acknowledge this. Something Awful is not the forefront of the digital battleground. Convincing yourself that anything is justified in times of war is a bad road to go down.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

OgNar posted:

Word is that China has been sending supplies to Russia since the US and the EU has been illegally helping the Ukraine.

What is "illegal" about helping Ukraine?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OgNar posted:

There's nothing illegal about what the EU and US is doing. In fact, there would be nothing illegal about them sending boots into Ukraine to smash Russia's teeth in. The reason they don't is because they don't want a hot war with Russia, not because it would be illegal to do so.

Also, don't say "the Ukraine"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Seems bad

https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1498140235875635200

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sir John Falstaff posted:

What is "illegal" about helping Ukraine?

KillHour posted:

There's nothing illegal about what the EU and US is doing. In fact, there would be nothing illegal about them sending boots into Ukraine to smash Russia's teeth in. The reason they don't is because they don't want a hot war with Russia, not because it would be illegal to do so.

Also, don't say "the Ukraine"

I'm not saying its illegal
China is.

Go watch the last UN video.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

:nice: inflation

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not great, not terrible.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm from cspam but I come in peace...

Do we know when talks are supposed to begin between Ukraine and Russia? Also what is the general consensus about what the outcome will be?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice and hot piss posted:

Do we know when talks are supposed to begin between Ukraine and Russia? Also what is the general consensus about what the outcome will be?

According to the The Guardian, 9 AM GMT, i.e. in 25 minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...on-live-updates

e: Don't know about consensus but I'm pretty certain the outcome will be grim.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: We don't talk about NATO !!READ OP WARNING!!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

The Ukrainian President said he didnt expect much last night (this morning). He wanted to send diplomats to the Belarus border but then Belarus decided it would invade Ukraine too. So dont get your hopes up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Aramis posted:

That`s mostly correct, but you need to take into account that they work by making the outside of the building colder, which means that their efficiency drops off dramatically with temperature. Not sure about the latest models, but the general rule of thumb is that they are only worthwhile when the temperature is above -15C.

This thread moves fast as hell, but newer models work even lower. And this is just for those models that work against the ambient air. There are heatpumps that use boreholes and work against the groundwater which is never cooler than 4C or so. My house is warmed by one of those.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

In 20 minutes. No clue re the outcome, too much poo poo is happening.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Despera posted:

The Ukrainian President said he didnt expect much last night (this morning). He wanted to send diplomats to the Belarus border but then Belarus decided it would invade Ukraine too. So dont get your hopes up.

Yeah, my hopes aren't up by any means, but maybe any glimmer of stopping a war is always going to be the hopeful outcome.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Despera posted:

He also said he won't concede an inch of the country. So its going to be interesting.

Hopes? A ceasefire would be a miracle, let me put it like that.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

My impression is, probably not much. Russia doesn't seem to be taking them seriously (last I heard, their delegation wasn't led by anyone important) and it's hard to see, given how Putin has boxed himself in, that he has much room to back down. And I'm not sure we've seen much sign that events have changed such that Ukraine will be forced to give in. My impression is both sides are engaging in the talks because otherwise the other side will get an easy propaganda win by branding them as unreasonable, and maybe in Russia's case to buy time to get their military back on track.

But who knows--maybe there is more going on behind the scenes.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah I didnt realize the talks were still happening

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So how is this not the total collapse of the Russian economy?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I expect that Russia will come in with a "reasonable" offer that they will withdraw from most of Ukraine if the government resigns, gives up the breakaway territories, signs a treaty committing Ukraine to never joining NATO or joining the EU and a few other unacceptable conditions.

Ukraine will turn them down and Putin will try to use every item on the list as a sign of what Ukraine is definitely going to do next week and why they have to be invaded.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

cr0y posted:

They dont need USD and countries have had far worse inflation. That said yeah their economy is kinda a little hosed.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

cr0y posted:

I was told they were targeted sanctions

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1498216290393202688

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Varinn posted:

I was told the sanctions werent enough

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cr0y posted:

That's ongoing.

Their central bank is presently yelling at private business to spend up their foreign currency reserves buying rubles on the international markets to prop the price up. About to get really unpleasant for a bunch of people who want nothing to do with Putin's wars. :smith:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DOOMocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/MarketRebels/status/1498168564272013312

The :tinfoil: part of me wonders if this was all of the RF's lovely friends buying their dips for control; or the fear of such.

That’s a good way to ensure precisely zero foreign investment for the next decade.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Varinn posted:

Regardless of if the videos are the polish or the ukrainian army im not really comfortable with saying that beating and shooting refugees is somehow excusable because its stressful at the border.

You can simply say "wow that seems bad. they shouldnt do that, but i still support them." It in no way helps the russians to acknowledge this. Something Awful is not the forefront of the digital battleground. Convincing yourself that anything is justified in times of war is a bad road to go down.

I never said it's justified, I never said I support any form of violence against civilians. This is obviously poo poo that shouldn't be happening. It's gonna happen however, because mass migration never occurs in an orderly fashion. Things like these happened with Syrian refugees, it's happening right now with Venezuelan refugees. To say it's representative of systemic abuses by the Ukrainian army like that guy was portraying it as is misleading. The individual action is reprehensible, whether it portrays an unfortunate isolated incident or a deliberate policy is impossible to tell from just a few videos.

However it's pretty obvious that this Twitter poster specifically is spreading Russian propaganda. Without context for the situation, what that video does is merely a way for people to say "See? The Ukrainians really ARE nazis!", which some users on this forum are just jumping at the opportunity to do.

Varinn posted:

You apparently don't hear well. Nobody said they were targetted sanctions. Biden and the EU very clearly stated these are meant to cripple the Russian economy to drive them into ceasing hostilities.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cr0y posted:

That’s exactly what it is.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

DOOMocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/MarketRebels/status/1498168564272013312

The :tinfoil: part of me wonders if this was all of the RF's lovely friends buying their dips for control; or the fear of such.

doesn't that straightforwardly just mean that if Russian shareholders dump stocks, after the crisis is over these entities will be disproportionately foreign-owned

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cr0y posted:

currency inflation doesn't matter if you can't buy anything from abroad in the first place taps head

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Varinn posted:

There's absolutely no way of determining when or where those videos were taken, or what the context surrounding them is. But what I do know is that the attempt to portray the Ukrainian army as backwards, thuggish racists is one of the few propaganda tools that the Russians have available to them, and that it was explicitly cited as a justification for the invasion. I know that stories of Indian students being attacked by the Ukrainian army have been circulating, for instance, because that feeds into the persecution complexes of the right-wing, Hindutva shitheads who keep Nerendra Modi in power, and it thus serves as an effective propaganda tool to keep India on the side of the Russians.

I have no problems believing that the army of an Eastern European nation is hardly going to be at the vanguard of sensitivity towards people of other races, but there is no reason to fall victim to Russian propaganda when the facts are so unclear. Even if the Ukrainian border guards were staffed entirely by neo-Nazis, I'm not sure exactly what they would be gaining by preventing people of other races from leaving their country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Also what is the general consensus about what the outcome will be?

I think few would've accurately predicted what has happened in the last five days or so, and likewise it's incredibly difficult to know what's going to happen in the next five days, let alone the next five months, or five years. It's an incredibly complex situation and there's a whole lot of possible ways this could play out. Russia took a massive risk and it's hard to understand why, leading some to believe that Putin is irrational and making absurd decisions. The situation seems less dire than the initial stages for Ukraine, but they are still in an extremely grave situation. If Russia can achieve some of their military objectives, it's still hard to see what they're going to do with the situation politically, such as installing a new government and how they would handle the obvious unrest amongst millions of Ukrainian people. Overall it's a very baffling situation, a senseless war that has and will continue to lead to suffering, and one of the most shocking world events in decades.