Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

szary posted:

The Georgian government is making GBS threads its collective pants because they know they are next in line after Ukraine.

To me it sounds like this is the best time to join the party. Ukraine can fight back better than Georgia can. With how much heat is on Russia right now, I'd be looking at this as an opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
He's given no indication that this is plan right now, but Putin can easily probably gobble up the two bullshit republics, get a promise to never join NATO, and call it victory without too much snickering from the people that matter. Military elites will be pissed at the hall-assed invasion plan and humiliation, oligarchs will be pissed at the new sanctions, but he has both groups pretty firmly under control. Average Russians will notice a few crazy months on the news cycle, and maybe some pain in their paychecks for a bit, some families will have KIA members, but he'll come out intact. I mean, he did successfully expand the border of his country, it's not too difficult to spin that into a win. The phrase "Special military operation" rather than war gives him an offramp here as well. He can sue for peace at any time and get "peace with honor" pretty easily. The west will still loving hate his rear end, as will Ukraine, but that's priced in at this point. So he has a very clear out of this that should be acceptable to him, and will for the near future.

But here's the thing I worry about: there's a very real chance that as the war and the sanctions drag pn, and the pain gets deeper and felt by more, he may perceive his position as more precarious. And then the calculus gets a lot rougher and scarier. And then we get into real fuckin' bad waters, if he feels that his political and literal survival is at stake here.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

McCloud posted:

Did this get linked yet?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-seize-60t-rubles-citizens-175003496.html

"The State Duma deputy from the Communist Party of the Russian Federation (CPRF), Nikolai Arefiev, made this statement. He declared that the funds deposited by Russian citizens would be used in case of a new economic crisis.

Russian Citizens’ Money Under Threat
The ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine has created ripples of fear and conflict across the globe.

While the allies of Russia support the invasion, the supporters of Ukraine, including the likes of the USA and UK, have made their statements as well.

Along with the two countries, the European Union, too, stated that they would impose significant sanctions on Russia for their move.

However, Russia already has a plan in place, which is a threat to Ukraine’s allies and Russians as well. Nikolai Arefiev, in a statement to NEWS.ru, said:

“If they block all the funds that are abroad, then the government will have no choice but to seize all the deposits of the population – there are about 60 trillion rubles – in order to get out of the situation,”

Currently, Russia has about $640 billion in gold and foreign exchange reserves outside the country. Furthermore, oligarchs’ capital is stored abroad by 14 trillion rubles ($158 billion) and another $470 billion capital.

Should these funds be confiscated, Russia intends to pull the trigger on its citizens to rebuild its economy. When asked about whether or not citizens’ would return this money to the citizens, Arefiev stated:

“Five generations will pass until the state pays off, by that time inflation will devour all this.”

This seems like a real bad idea to me, but what do I know, I don't have a degree in finance
Stealing everyone's money to finance an unpopular war sounds like an excellent idea than can only bolster Russia's internal stability.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Even Luxembourg has decided to give military aid to Ukraine too:

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1870888.html

A surprisingly-not-irrelevant 100 NLAWs along with "some" jeeps and... 15 tents. I wonder what Iceland will contribute, hakarl? Or maybe that would be considered a banned chemical weapon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shibawanko posted:

i really hope they do seriously negotiate, making some concessions to russia, like giving them crimea or autonomy for the two bullshit "republics" in the east as a guarantee of neutrality without regime change would suck for ukraine but is still better than a long war. i'm afraid russia will probably insist on replacing zelenskyy with a puppet though

Offer independence for the two "breakaway" republics after a referendum under UN supervision. Russia will never go for it, but it hits all the self-determination notes you need for UN support.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Fill Baptismal posted:

He's given no indication that this is plan right now, but Putin can easily probably gobble up the two bullshit republics, get a promise to never join NATO, and call it victory without too much snickering from the people that matter. Military elites will be pissed at the hall-assed invasion plan and humiliation, oligarchs will be pissed at the new sanctions, but he has both groups pretty firmly under control. Average Russians will notice a few crazy months on the news cycle, and maybe some pain in their paychecks for a bit, some families will have KIA members, but he'll come out intact. I mean, he did successfully expand the border of his country, it's not too difficult to spin that into a win. The phrase "Special military operation" rather than war gives him an offramp here as well. He can sue for peace at any time and get "peace with honor" pretty easily. The west will still loving hate his rear end, as will Ukraine, but that's priced in at this point. So he has a very clear out of this that should be acceptable to him, and will for the near future.

But here's the thing I worry about : there's a very real chance that as the war and the sanctions drag pn, and the pain gets deeper and felt by more, he may perceive his position as more precarious. And then the calculus gets a lot rougher and scarier. And then we get into real fuckin' bad waters, if he feels that his political and literal survival is at stake here.

Would Ukraine actually go for that? That deal probably wouldn't go over well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saladman posted:

A surprisingly-not-irrelevant 100 NLAWs along with "some" jeeps and... 15 tents. I wonder what Iceland will contribute, hakarl? Or maybe that would be considered a banned chemical weapon.

Cod fishing boats

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/1498225141322506241

e: I just want to thank everyone in this thread for educating me and keeping me informed with facts, as when I started following all of this, I had some very bad takes and a very bad opening post in the other thread (a direct result of being sucked into a bad content bubble elsewhere). I mostly lurk here, but I digest every post and often cross post news to other places.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 28, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498203594524602369

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1498220414300045319

Other Russian hardware moving:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1498224016733179906

if Western intel agencies were aware of this, that may explain the hurried timetable to resupply MiGs to the UAF

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Yureina posted:

Would Ukraine actually go for that? That deal probably wouldn't go over well.

It would depend on the extent of the territory taken, but honestly, if they only took the portions that are already de facto control of Russia for a while in exchange for withdrawing, that's probably one of the better deals they could realistically get.

Zelensky has straight up floated the possibility of guaranteeing not joining NATO until literally days ago. Then again, these are the days where where everything changes in a manner of hours.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Fill Baptismal posted:

It would depend on the extent of the territory taken, but honestly, if they only took the portions that are already de facto control of Russia for a while in exchange for withdrawing, that's probably one of the better deals they could realistically get.

Zelensky has straight up floated the possibility of guaranteeing not joining NATO until literally days ago. Then again, these are the days where where everything changes in a manner of hours.

That was before the invasion began, wasn't it? As you say, things can and are changing rather quickly.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fill Baptismal posted:

While I'm sure he would love the EU to commit fully to jumping in to the defense of Ukraine, his recent calls for Ukraine to immediately join the EU could also be part of a bargaining plan, establishing ground they can give up in negotiations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ronya posted:

if Western intel agencies were aware of this, that may explain the hurried timetable to resupply MiGs to the UAF

This, combined with the withdrawal of NATO aircraft from the borders and the supposed release of prisoners to fight seems to hint that the situation is becoming somewhat critical.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 28, 2022

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Russia should just auction off some of the kompromat we all know they have. I'd chip in $5 to find out if :pisstape:!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the popes toes posted:

It was better when they started. They really didn't believe it would last this long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

TheRat posted:

The entire post is 100% propaganda. It's understandable propaganda, but there's no reason to believe any of it has anything to do with reality.

I could believe those numbers being somewhere in the ball park of the losses to date. They maybe biased, even "padded", but they don't look to me like 100% fantasy, at least from what I can tell from following the admittedly murky battle reports. Of course it's hard to tell and we may never know the true numbers.

jmnmu fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 28, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
is the withdrawal of NATO aircraft proven? I read some mutterings about transponders and it may have been calculated that the effect of not knowing where the observation aircraft is loitering may outweigh the deterrent effect of knowing it is there, given that one already knows it is there

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498203594524602369

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1498220414300045319

Other Russian hardware moving:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1498224016733179906

They called for citizens to leave Grozny before they leveled it for the second time, claiming that anyone left must be a combatant.

Georgia knows they're probably the consolation prize if Russia decides Ukraine is too hot to handle.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498236941459939328

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ronya posted:

is the withdrawal of NATO aircraft proven? I read some mutterings about transponders and it may have been calculated that the effect of not knowing where the observation aircraft is loitering may outweigh the deterrent effect of knowing it is there, given that one already knows it is there

I don't think we have any official sources for it no.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

ronya posted:

No.

The skies did empty earlier today and it looked like the aircrafts patrol stations were drawn back, dunno why. But they're back in full power.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

lagidnam posted:

I wonder which company in the DAX got hit the hardest from the sanctions?

Oh right, that should have been obvious, cause it's about war crimes.

cross-post from the german D&D thread showing deutsche bank taking a hit to share price (because it's going to be temporarily harder to launder russian oligarch money)

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

McCloud posted:

This seems like a real bad idea to me, but what do I know, I don't have a degree in finance

The Russian cabinet's economic minister has a degree at Perm University. There are 2 specific economic cabniet ministers for the far East but they seem like political appointees.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

quote:

Russian companies with dollar-denominated listings in London plunged on Monday after the West moved to cut some Russian banks from the SWIFT messaging system. Sberbank SBER, -61.83% dropped 75%, and Lukoil LKOD, -49.98% fell 58%. Rosneft Oil ROSN, -40.62% dropped 41% as BP said it would exit its minority stake. Gazprom Neft GAZ, -23.95%, the oil producing subsidiary of Gazprom, dropped 25%, and PhosAgro PHOR, -66.20% skidded 55%.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/london-traded-russian-companies-plunge-as-much-as-75-on-tightening-sanctions-2022-02-28

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
The video is widely shared, but that's an observation that didn't occur to me:

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1498235463773138948

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498239367999012864

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498237773022646272

Okhtyrka is on the outskirts of Kharkiv. Also: dog :ohdear:

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 28, 2022

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

ronya posted:

Okhtyrka is on the outskirts of Kharkiv. Also: dog :ohdear:

You know what, gently caress Putin.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1498241969746759683?t=MC0EgrUuswMQvpnz59mQ_A&s=19

I feel like this is really not going according to plan

cr0y fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 28, 2022

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

I wish I could give that dog a hug. :smith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Those guys have been working hard, they deserve a day off

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
The actual meeting didnt start until 10 minutes ago apparently

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Probably hoping something comes out of the peace talks that leads to the easing of some sanctions, but I don't think the boot is getting taken from their throat without a full withdrawal.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Saladman posted:

I'm guessing that a lot of these donations from smaller NATO countries comprise their entire inventory of that particular item. That was implied when Denmark donated NLAWs as well. It makes sense, as there is little chance these countries will need anti-tank weaponry any time soon, and in fact the inventory might just expire (or be spent in exercises) without being used anyway.

I wonder if we'll also see a significant increase in military production in NATO countries. How else will Germany spend the massive amount of money they promised?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Trump posted:

The actual meeting didnt start until 10 minutes ago apparently

Norwegian TV claims to be broadcasting live from the meeting room and there's nobody sat at the table still

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Athas posted:

I wonder if we'll also see a significant increase in military production in NATO countries. How else will Germany spend the massive amount of money they promised?

Dude, Germany might have been the country that yelled the loudest, but all around there has been support for increasing defense budgets.

I'm 100% sure the European Defense Union will be created. The same with shared command structures of standing units, like NATO used during the cold war

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

Norwegian TV claims to be broadcasting live from the meeting room and there's nobody sat at the table still

It's going to be public? Cool, did't expect that

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

It's going to be public? Cool, did't expect that

They'll almost certainly shoo the cameras out when it actually starts

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Re: Germany increased defence spending -- Germany's military is in a shambles for various reasons but it's largely not due to a lack of money (they already have a huge budget, relatively speaking). ideally the 100bn extra would have instead gone towards reforming/supporting the energy sector, but regardless of where the money ends up (the caymans) i'd say the gesture still represents a fairly significant shift in the german political position towards its armed forces and its military role within europe.. but let's see how sustained all these responses are, only time will tell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Europe must be unified under a strong German military.

Wait, that can't be right...

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Europe must be unified under a strong German military.

Wait, that can't be right...

It might be cool to have the Germans save Europe rather than blow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

boofhead posted:

Re: Germany increased defence spending -- Germany's military is in a shambles for various reasons but it's largely not due to a lack of money (they already have a huge budget, relatively speaking). ideally the 100bn extra would have instead gone towards reforming/supporting the energy sector, but regardless of where the money ends up (the caymans) i'd say the gesture still represents a fairly significant shift in the german political position towards its armed forces and its military role within europe.. but let's see how sustained all these responses are, only time will tell

I think the significance of the meeting of the German parliament on Sunday is not properly appreciated internationally. The amount of money is a big shift, but there were many more seismic shifts happening that I haven't seen reported yet.

The shift of framing of renewables into a context of national security being one of them. That used to be a Green position, not one shared by the loving liberals.

Word of the day: Zäsur