Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Everything costs stamina, even casting spells. Run out while blocking and you get staggered while the enemy does whatever they want. Run out when you need to dodge? Pray the enemy's combo has enough room between hits to let you regen some (it doesn't lmao) or you're just dead.

Short of hitting a hard cap, you can't really ever have "too much".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

coolusername posted:

I tried out online mode but I think I'll turn it off, I wasn't expecting so many messages spammed everywhere and most of them are either useless but hole x 50, or spoil neat surprises. I do wish there was just a 'turn off messages' option so I could maybe bring a friend in to help without having a sea of is this a dog? or whatever.

Add the SA group code LLJK to your multiplayer settings and the game will prioritize goon messages. I can't promise they will be better but at least you'll know who to blame :v:

People are legit good at leaving warnings in front of ambushes and poo poo, but discovering those the hard way can also be fun.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm very confused. misbegotten warrior & crucible knight spoilers:

I've been banging my head against this boss fight for hours. Thought I'd give it another go today but... they're not there anymore? The arena is just full of NPCs talking about a festival. What the Christ?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

It’s my first fromsoft game and I’m trying not to spoil everything for myself online, which is why I’m asking here:

Is there much missable content? Other than say killing an NPC, am I going to lock myself out of stuff by not doing X before Y?

Game is running absolutely beautifully on my PC, other than a tiny bit of texture pop-in in the middle distance sometimes. Although I don’t have a 4k screen so obviously that’s reducing the work it has to do.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Does holy damage not permakill skeletons anymore? I have a Lordsworns Sacred Straight Sword that does physical and holy, and these drat skeletons in the Deathtouched Catacombs keep reanimating unless I kill them while they are popping back up (and sometimes even if I do).

Passive holy on a weapon doesn't. You need a holy spell/blade art or to buff the weapon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Juche Couture posted:

It’s my first fromsoft game and I’m trying not to spoil everything for myself online, which is why I’m asking here:

Is there much missable content? Other than say killing an NPC, am I going to lock myself out of stuff by not doing X before Y?

Game is running absolutely beautifully on my PC, other than a tiny bit of texture pop-in in the middle distance sometimes. Although I don’t have a 4k screen so obviously that’s reducing the work it has to do.

FromSoft games by design have A FUCKTON of missable content. Don’t stress about it. It’ll do you no good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

YF-23 posted:

Preceptor Miriam can go to hell.

Now that I beat her, there was a message on the rafters that pointed to the staircase above and said to use a bow. I didn't see anything I could do with it, there was a square bit on the bottom of the platform but that didn't trigger anything. Was there something I could do, or am I supposed to go back there when I have a key or something that can trigger the platform?

JUST GOT HER! HAHA! And yeah, I'm stuck just like you. Tried the same shot on the button underneath but nothing. I had run past Miriam first, and thought maybe she had to die for the platform/ladder to drop down, but nothing...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Man there is some dick attack timing in this. It's like someone went out of their way to add a bunch of delays to enemy attacks to make it difficult to "sight read" a boss.

Also lol at this jumping tower puzzle thing. Of course that would exist.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Frankston posted:

I'm very confused. misbegotten warrior & crucible knight spoilers:

I've been banging my head against this boss fight for hours. Thought I'd give it another go today but... they're not there anymore? The arena is just full of NPCs talking about a festival. What the Christ?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FromSoft games by design have A FUCKTON of missable content. Don’t stress about it. It’ll do you no good.

Apparently it's an optional boss and it'll be back after the festival ends. So you'll get your revenge eventually.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Juche Couture posted:

Probably. You will absolutely, 100% miss certain sidequests, because they have ridiculous rules where if you go down the wrong corridor a character will die off-camera. So, you'll probably miss out on certain items and plot details. Sekiro had a single major plot fork where you choose between the near ending (with a pair of bosses) or the long ending (with like six, totally different bosses). Bloodborne had a True Final Boss that you could only unlock if you collected a certain item during the game.

No-one knows what this game contains, exactly. Just embrace it, do the best you can.

Today I killed that golden knight outside the first bonfire, and then Agheel down by the lake. I also found that one chest that teleports you to the centipede mine, and fought my way out, then through the ghost college. I'll probably go back and fight Godrick again in like 2 or 3 sessions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm torn about what kind of ash of war to put on my shield. I feel like parry or the stability-boosting one would be great, but on the other hand, it's really nice having no skill on it at all so I can use my right-hand weapon art without having to two-hand first.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Juche Couture posted:

If its anything like the Dark Souls games, there's a ton of storylines involving npcs that play out differently depending on what order you do stuff in, when you talk to them and if you choose to let them live. Plus a bunch of obscure secret items, hidden doors and mechanics that aren't explained. Don't stress about it, its probably impossible to do a 100% and even getting close to it would require slavishly following a walkthrough that doesn't exist yet.

That said, always a good idea to keep talking to npcs repeatedly, revisit them occasionally and take note when they say something that sounds like a quest or if they are going to move to another spot.

Harrow posted:

I'm torn about what kind of ash of war to put on my shield. I feel like parry or the stability-boosting one would be great, but on the other hand, it's really nice having no skill on it at all so I can use my right-hand weapon art without having to two-hand first.

I'm re-considering putting parry on my shield because most of the enemies I would want to parry also really like to shield bash and do goofy magic poo poo when I'm up in their grill. It's not like DS1 where you can safely riposte most everything on 2 legs.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 28, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Ashes of war can be freely moved from weapon to weapon, so try them all out!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Ashes of war can be freely moved from weapon to weapon, so try them all out!

Oh I know, and I have! That's why I'm torn, they're all useful but I can only have one at a time :ohdear:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Put a different one on different shields so you can swap between on to suit your needs. Some fights you're really gonna want stability or parries, sometimes you're gonna want to spam your weapon arts. I've a a parry shield, a projectile parry shield, and a stability shield in my inventory.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

freebooter posted:

Dumb question: is there any stat in particular I should focus on when levelling up? I'm playing the prisoner and probably wanting to focus on spellcasting since I suck at the physical combat. I can come to grips with the base game but seeing a wall of text and numbers whenever I open the menu goes right over my head.

Not really, just go for whatever stuff you want to use.

Vigor will let you take more hits.
Endurance lets you wear more gear and do stuff for longer.
Mind will give you FP, while Int/Faith will up the damage of your spells/incantations respectively.
Arcane just ups item discovery and does other fringe stuff, probably.

Things to know:
1. By mid-ish game, you can respec if you like
2. All stats in these games tend to soft-cap at 40 (meaning gains slow to a crawl) and often hard cap at around 60.

Generally that means "all into one stat" isn't as necessary. Arcane is the closest to a trap stat, in that it is most useful with specific builds only.

Historically, spellcaster builds have worked by having 40-60 in the main stat (DS3 pyromancers went all the way to 40/40 faith int!), and then stacking all sorts of spell damage amplification.

Also, you will have to get a hang of the hand-to-hand eventually. That's just how it is. You don't need to master every aspect. Usually some amount of dodging and good stamina-awareness to use a shield will get you far. Getting used to counting down in your head as bosses swing can let you perfect/near perfect dodge most things. And parrying is largely a matter of knowing the other guys' attacks. Any one of these will make your life far less painful - the game doesn't ask you to be perfect, but it will occasionally screw with you if you try hard to not learn some things at all.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I was worried I'd spoiled myself too much with the pre-release content but I need not have worried, in the space of like an hour I had like 3 'Ash Lake moments' in a row

Random building in the second zone turns out to be another magic elevator like the one to Siofra River in Limgrave. Except it's a disgusting tunnel of giant ants instead of a spooky starlit ruin. I push on against my better judgment and not only is there a completely separate spooky starlit city, there's a worm that shoots meteorites at me, skeleton on a throne the size of a building, a dragon that turns me into a pancake, and a lake of red poison the size of lower Blighttown. the best bit is having no idea whether any of it is necessary for progress or what it even means lore wise

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t stress about it. It’ll do you no good.

I feel like I should learn this…in general haha. That’s kinda freeing in a way, I’ll play any old how and probably end up doing a completionist run in the distant future.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The map item description will tell you why that poo poo is down there but not ahhh why it's like that.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I dunno if some asked this already but how do you get past the contraption in the key dungeon in the tutorial dungeon? The thing keeps loving me up on the narrow pathway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Juche Couture posted:

there's absolutely shitloads of this in every fromsoft game but that's what NG+ is for, particularly after nerds on the internet have had time to map it all out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every time they talk about the Festival I hear the Forza Horizon announcer in my head.

It is sadly a very different Festival

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rubberduke posted:

I dunno if some asked this already but how do you get past the contraption in the key dungeon in the tutorial dungeon? The thing keeps loving me up on the narrow pathway.

In one of the switchbacks before the bridge, you can drop down from the last hiding spot to the level below, skipping the corner. What I did was I waited until the chariot was going up, then dropped down and ran for it. He gets slowed down by corners so you should have more than enough time to make it across the bridge

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NicelyNice posted:

I literally cannot tell. I'm not convinced From Software story exists outside a cottage industry of dudes on YouTube explaining it. To me, the plot is exactly the same as Dark Souls 3 - the world is screwed, you're some guy, and you gotta kill five dudes, after which something will happen that is not very clear. To understand beyond that, I gotta watch a 2-hour YouTube video that will come out in three years.

These games are about worldbuilding more than specific story points.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barudak posted:

Every time they talk about the Festival I hear the Forza Horizon announcer in my head.

It is sadly a very different Festival

Tree Sentinel Drift Race DLC when, From?

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Snake Maze posted:

In one of the switchbacks before the bridge, you can drop down from the last hiding spot to the level below, skipping the corner. What I did was I waited until the chariot was going up, then dropped down and ran for it. He gets slowed down by corners so you should have more than enough time to make it across the bridge

Thanks, that's what i figured to be the solution but had no more patience for that thing yesterday.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

freebooter posted:

100% new to these games but just beat the first miniboss I found (the eldentree crypt "dog" guard - ummmmm ACTUALLY it looks like an Egyptian cat) and I'm very pleased with myself, it took like 30 attempts.

Dumb question: is there any stat in particular I should focus on when levelling up? I'm playing the prisoner and probably wanting to focus on spellcasting since I suck at the physical combat. I can come to grips with the base game but seeing a wall of text and numbers whenever I open the menu goes right over my head.

every souls game has basically the same optimal early leveling progression

1. get JUST enough power stat (in your case it'll be 1-2 out of intelligence, faith, or arcane) to wield your weapon of choice. if you have a really demanding weapon you know you want it might even be good to find an easier stopgap because step 2 is in many ways more important and definitely more demanding

2. pump your HP stat until you have like 1000+ health (typically to 27-30ish)

3. pump stamina until you can attack at least three times in rapid succession and still roll away afterwards

after that you can do what you want, typically then you circle back around to your power stat so you get more damage but sometimes diversification can pay off too, and also by then you'll probably have access to respecs anyways

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I've actually tried to parry a single attack yet. Shield Counters are too fun even though it's a trap half the time

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Fruits of the sea posted:

Add the SA group code LLJK to your multiplayer settings and the game will prioritize goon messages. I can't promise they will be better but at least you'll know who to blame :v:

People are legit good at leaving warnings in front of ambushes and poo poo, but discovering those the hard way can also be fun.

I'll do that and see if it makes a difference. I don't mind the useful ones too much, but I'm in the early zone and it's just packed with glowy random messages in every side cave and path being distracting, and most of them are memes like 'fort night'.

Though I did laugh at the lady on the bridge having a bunch of 'do it do it do it' messages around

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I finally decided to do Volcano zone after its horrendous maze and the boss drops a weapon that is seemingly a 100% copy of the great epee Im using but its R2 is double stab instead of a sweep and now Im sitting here curious if Ill beat the game before the stats nerds update which one is optimal

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

These games are about worldbuilding more than specific story points.

Yeah the difference in this one is there's way way more NPCs and exposition. The world is still more alive than the worlds of Dark Souls, which are on the verge of total collapse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s so much poo poo in this game I’m half expecting to find one of these underground elevators and end up in literally Lost Izalith. Just a straight up copy / paste thrown in there for fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo if you arent disparaging all the white marks you come across

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Is there a way of filtering map markers? It'd be nice to just show catacombs, etc, for easy going down the list clearing. I'm hoarding tomb keys like a dipshit, I need to start spending these fuckers but I'm always "what if the loot sucks?"

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rubberduke posted:

Thanks, that's what i figured to be the solution but had no more patience for that thing yesterday.
You can also disable the drat thing/explore more if you look around down there.

That's one criticism I have with ER: fall damage isn't consistent in the slightest. The Ringed City drop "made sense" because you fell 10 stories into a giant pile of ash and survived. Safe falls vs death falls don't seem to follow any rules in this one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've ignored every message warning about blood loss and regretted it every time

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

every souls game has basically the same optimal early leveling progression

1. get JUST enough power stat (in your case it'll be 1-2 out of intelligence, faith, or arcane) to wield your weapon of choice. if you have a really demanding weapon you know you want it might even be good to find an easier stopgap because step 2 is in many ways more important and definitely more demanding

2. pump your HP stat until you have like 1000+ health (typically to 27-30ish)

3. pump stamina until you can attack at least three times in rapid succession and still roll away afterwards

after that you can do what you want, typically then you circle back around to your power stat so you get more damage but sometimes diversification can pay off too, and also by then you'll probably have access to respecs anyways

I would like to emphasize that you should not follow this order absolutely. It's true that you want a lot of health, and endurance can be good too. But if you spend the first half of the game only leveling those stats then you'll end up really underleveled in your primary attack stats for when you do find a cool spell or weapon that you want to use. It's not like you know how much you're going to need beforehand and can plan in advance. So it's good to drop some points in your attack attributes from time to time anyway.

Just make sure you're saving some runes for weapon upgrades. That's actually going to give a much more immediate benefit than upgrading your stats. There's a huge difference between +0 and +5 on the same weapon.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'd like to add an item to the "grab some great stuff with a new character" list. It's a unique 100% physical block medium shield with an amazing passive which you can reach like three minutes after getting your mount, with no combat involved.

It's called the Great Turtle Shell, and it increases stamina regen. I think the passive keeps working while you're two-handing with it on your back like the classic Grass Crest Shield. Here's a video that shows how to get it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

What method are people using for weapons switching with Samurai? It seems very awkward, from 2 hand bow I'm having to press right twice on the d pad then R+Y to get back to 2 hand sword? I don't normally play this type in DS so I don't remember having to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

are there basic boss attacks you can and can't parry or is the timing on most of them just really tight? i noticed in the forlorn hound evergaol that normal swings were hard to impossible to parry but the followup attack after the claw swipe and the move where he drags the sword along the ground are pretty easy to pull off consistently