Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Kwolok posted:

It's because we just remember old games as fun but then realized how dated and unfun they are by modern standards. Best not to meet your heroes

The exception being a fair amount of SNES games. Super Mario All-stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, A Link To The Past, Secret Of Mana, Earthbound etc. - I'm down for those any day of the week, they're still great today imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

This channel has a lot of gameplay videos with the Deck, including RDR2, which seems to be running extremely well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENyvDp18eAg

Personally, I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into the Ace Attorney series whenever my Deck arrives (Gabe please send me the email).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

frytechnician posted:

The exception being a fair amount of SNES games. Super Mario All-stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, A Link To The Past, Secret Of Mana, Earthbound etc. - I'm down for those any day of the week, they're still great today imo

Yeah, definitely. I bounced hard of DK: Tropical Freeze and wasn't too in to the 3DS DK game either, booted up the original DKC on the Switch's virtual console and that thing still slaps.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
they are shipping soon I guess:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So will devs have to release updates to enable aiming via gyro or is that some weird system level hack you can do?

If the former every game developer is currently prioritizing this work, right!???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Old games are extremely good.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

My memory is hazy but I'm pretty sure I was able to add gyro aiming to an unsupported game with the Steam Controller a few years back. I could aim with the stick and I set it to switch to fine gyro controls when I pressed the button to look down the sights.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Old games are extremely good.

:hai:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
it would be cool if gabe would email me so i could play elden ring on the couch tbqh...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buy a Bluetooth controller

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the pc is in the office, op, the baby mostly stays in the living room!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

They did. A 600 dollar Bluetooth controller.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

So will devs have to release updates to enable aiming via gyro or is that some weird system level hack you can do?

Steam Input should allow gyros to be set up to emulate either mouse or joystick in any game the Deck supports. How good it feels will probably depend on the game and how much work you put into tweaking it to your liking, but the few people I've heard talk about it were positive about their experiences.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

big lol if running on Vulkan with a shader cache makes Switch games run really well

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

big lol if running on Vulkan with a shader cache makes Switch games run really well

it definitely doesn’t

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it definitely doesn’t

it sounds like more intensive games don't and games that are less so run acceptably. still not how I'd like to experience them though

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

NRVNQSR posted:

Steam Input should allow gyros to be set up to emulate either mouse or joystick in any game the Deck supports. How good it feels will probably depend on the game and how much work you put into tweaking it to your liking, but the few people I've heard talk about it were positive about their experiences.
That’s really cool! I know I need to get my expectations in check but I can’t wait to try that out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

After trying steam link on my tablet with a controller I might cancel, lol. I was surprised how decent it was, though slightly too laggy for multiplayer games. I'm after q2 though so it won't help anybody.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Suburban Dad posted:

After trying steam link on my tablet with a controller I might cancel, lol. I was surprised how decent it was, though slightly too laggy for multiplayer games. I'm after q2 though so it won't help anybody.
To be fair, this is how most people will be playing big current AAA titles on the deck if they have the beefy PC in the house that can run it. Having the controller built into the handheld is nice but I'm sure I'm going to dock it to my nice TV.

This is mostly a toy that isn't required, but will making it nice to take along this for travel vs having my desktop replacement laptop.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it sounds like more intensive games don't and games that are less so run acceptably. still not how I'd like to experience them though

Honestly mario odyssey seemed to run sort of ok on deck. Not as good as I'd like to play but surprisingly better than I was expecting. Its totally possible with just software/emulation improvements it could run just as good one day on deck or the very least deck 2.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

minusX posted:

To be fair, this is how most people will be playing big current AAA titles on the deck if they have the beefy PC in the house that can run it. Having the controller built into the handheld is nice but I'm sure I'm going to dock it to my nice TV.

If you're just gonna dock it, I'm currently playing Elden Ring just fine on my TV using a Raspberry Pi as the Steam Link medium.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

There's a device that runs switch games perfectly, has a handful of really good NES and SNES games with perfect emulation. And it's got motion tracking HD haptic feedback controllers that can be used as two controllers for local two player gaming on the go, as well as seamless TV docking, and a couple of the best games ever made to date require buying it, and you can find em for two bills used. Dont u dare start complaining about graphics when you were just talking about playing NES and SNES games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait what’s the system?

Because the switch sure was poo poo doesn’t run anything perfectly, or in many cases very well

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

minusX posted:

This is mostly a toy that isn't required, but will making it nice to take along this for travel vs having my desktop replacement laptop.

Yep, and I'm planning in my basement to put my goon battlestation next to my TV so I can just run an HDMI right into it so it makes even less sense. :v: On the go stuff will be nice if I ever leave my basement, I GUESS

Overall it still looks promising but I'm ok with not being in the first batch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChocNitty posted:

There's a device that runs switch games perfectly, has a handful of really good NES and SNES games with perfect emulation. And it's got motion tracking HD haptic feedback controllers that can be used as two controllers for local two player gaming on the go, as well as seamless TV docking, and a couple of the best games ever made to date require buying it, and you can find em for two bills used. Dont u dare start complaining about graphics when you were just talking about playing NES and SNES games.

How well does it run PC titles? Gonna cancel my Steam Deck reservation right now, gimme dat link.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hammer Bro. posted:

If you're just gonna dock it, I'm currently playing Elden Ring just fine on my TV using a Raspberry Pi as the Steam Link medium.

Yeah, Steam Deck has some cool and novel uses cases but it's kinda amazing how many people's primary use cases could be solved for under $100.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lockback posted:

Yeah, Steam Deck has some cool and novel uses cases but it's kinda amazing how many people's primary use cases could be solved for under $100.

Well, would be if you could find a raspberry pi right now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Consider a 30 foot HDMI cable instead.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah that’s what I do. I play PC games on my TV so rarely I just pull out the cord instead

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

smh at all these people who didn't get a steam link for $1. Because it was bundled with hollow knight.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Does the Steam Link app perform better than the physical link? I have one, but it had enough input lag that I didn't really enjoy it. I do have a raspberry pi 3 that may be worth trying before my Steam Deck number gets called.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the problem has always been the internet connectivity of both your source computer and the steam link provider. Specifically, the best way to do it was connect it directly via an Ethernet port which for most people is the same as simply plugging in an HDMI.

It’s good in a pinch and for casual gaming though! And the steam deck will further improve/iterate on that (probably). I used to have zero problem doing dungeons and stuff in FF14 via steamlink over a 100MB Wi-Fi connection

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Gaben delivered the Steam Decks. It was awesome of him but very awkward haha.

https://youtu.be/9Dy-KWjp-m0

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And if you're streaming from a PC without NVENC (500-series or before) the streaming PC will struggle. If everything else is hard-wired the input lag should be pretty low. Like, I don't think I'd play meatboy or something but for most stuff it's fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Disappointing Pie posted:

Gaben delivered the Steam Decks. It was awesome of him but very awkward haha.

https://youtu.be/9Dy-KWjp-m0

Gaben: Courier, CEO, billionaire, Customer Support Technician

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/O1K3xEhHaZA

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jokes posted:

Gaben: Courier, CEO, billionaire, Customer Support Technician

Anything to keep from making games

Like GRRM with his writing

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...sh=4b90b8c42634
Looking like my hunch about refresh rates between 30 and 60 was right!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Anything to keep from making games

Like GRRM with his writing

They shipped the latest Half-Life two years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I might actually be good with 45. Like I’m not the biggest fan of 30 these days but 45 could do the trick.