Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Blaziken386 posted:

I killed Greyll after several attempts. Fun fact: heavy carry weight has little to no drawbacks on a horse! I know this because the only way I could survive any of his attacks with a sliver of health was by equipping the heaviest armor I owned.

Figuring out how to beat Greyll was one of the most satisfying things for me in the game so far. Initially couldn't get him below like 85%, and then I started experimenting and it clicked. Now I absolutely murder any dragon I come across, even new types I haven't seen before.

Frankston posted:

I'm very confused. misbegotten warrior & crucible knight spoilers:

I've been banging my head against this boss fight for hours. Thought I'd give it another go today but... they're not there anymore? The arena is just full of NPCs talking about a festival. What the Christ?

WHAT

alright now I think I know what I have to do to continue in that area. I beat them earlier but couldn't figure out how to progress after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whole weekend of nothing but playing and I'm still incapable of remembering that I can JUMP during combat. There's so many new type of attacks that are completely negating by hopping. Just about every shockwave/ground slam, hell even low swings. Just press x lol it's that easy. And i never, ever rememeber until i'm dead

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rubberduke posted:

I dunno if some asked this already but how do you get past the contraption in the key dungeon in the tutorial dungeon? The thing keeps loving me up on the narrow pathway.

It owns you every time you try to get to that narrow path, right? Doesn't that suggest to you that playing by its rules isn't working? Is there some way to circumvent the rules as presented to you?

Find a place to drop down early while it's going up the slope so you have enough time to make it past the narrow pathway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hazardousmouse posted:

Is there a way of filtering map markers? It'd be nice to just show catacombs, etc, for easy going down the list clearing. I'm hoarding tomb keys like a dipshit, I need to start spending these fuckers but I'm always "what if the loot sucks?"

I put a sword marker down for any caves/catacombs/evergaols I don't immediately do and skulls for overworld bosses.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I created my character with the intention of going strength/int and just found my very first natural str/int weapon at 50 hours in.
Goodbye, powerstanced magic straight swords. I won't miss you (much).

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Lol. I just found out hugging the lady in Roundtable gives you a permanent -5% HP penalty until you use the item she gives you and rest.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I have seen about twenty chests in my travels and hit every single one to check for mimics. Haven't found one yet but I'm still going to swing at the twenty first chest just in case.

Also gently caress preceptor Miriam. I'm glad she got stuck in a corner and got filled with 20 arrows.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom

Gorson posted:

What method are people using for weapons switching with Samurai? It seems very awkward, from 2 hand bow I'm having to press right twice on the d pad then R+Y to get back to 2 hand sword? I don't normally play this type in DS so I don't remember having to do this.

Equip both weapons at the same time (one in each hand) and switch between them by pressing Y+R1 or Y+L1 depending on what you want to use. You can press twice if you want to switch from 2 handing one to 2 handing the other.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Dual wield trip report for anyone else like me who's been on the fence or simply hadn't had a chance to try it yet: I finally got a second colossal sword to try it out and with a second one slapped on I can still use my right hand weapon like normal, L1 gives me an attack with both weapons while L2 uses my right hand weapon's Ash. Is power stancing still in this game?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gorson posted:

What method are people using for weapons switching with Samurai? It seems very awkward, from 2 hand bow I'm having to press right twice on the d pad then R+Y to get back to 2 hand sword? I don't normally play this type in DS so I don't remember having to do this.

You can two-hand a thing from your left hand too. So the trick if you want to swap between two-handing two separate weapons is to put the bow in your left hand and the sword in your right. That way you can just press Y+RB->RB for sword or Y+LB->LB for bow and don't have to faff about with the dpad.

Nuebot posted:

Dual wield trip report for anyone else like me who's been on the fence or simply hadn't had a chance to try it yet: I finally got a second colossal sword to try it out and with a second one slapped on I can still use my right hand weapon like normal, L1 gives me an attack with both weapons while L2 uses my right hand weapon's Ash. Is power stancing still in this game?

You're literally powerstancing right now.
The whole "right hand buttons swing one weapon, left hand buttons swing both" is the same as it worked with powerstanced weapons in ds2. Although we lost the ability to do a double-heavy attack in exchange for weapon arts which is kind of a bum deal when jump heavy spam is the best way to stagger bosses.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 28, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Gotcha, automatic then! I can't wait to actually use it in combat.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Can't seem to find the post, but to whoever said to disable the "Microsoft device association root enumerator" in device manager/software devices, I'm not sure if it was this fix, or that first patch they rolled out yesterday, but my fps has been way more steady, only getting the occasional dip when going into new zones, with the extremely rare fps slowdown while looking in a specific direction, which iirc was one of the bugs I had in DS3 on launch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God, I just wanna play so much more that i'm moving up to the lake area but... work. gently caress.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Can't seem to find the post, but to whoever said to disable the "Microsoft device association root enumerator" in device manager/software devices, I'm not sure if it was this fix, or that first patch they rolled out yesterday, but my fps has been way more steady, only getting the occasional dip when going into new zones, with the extremely rare fps slowdown while looking in a specific direction, which iirc was one of the bugs I had in DS3 on launch.

That setting does nothing to interact with the root cause of the stuttering, so most likely you've just built up your shader cache enough that there's not as much shader compilation happening in the background anymore.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The Joe Man posted:

You can also disable the drat thing/explore more if you look around down there.

That's one criticism I have with ER: fall damage isn't consistent in the slightest. The Ringed City drop "made sense" because you fell 10 stories into a giant pile of ash and survived. Safe falls vs death falls don't seem to follow any rules in this one.

If you're iffy on if a fall would kill, drop one of those glowing stones you can make over the edge.

If it shatters on landing, it'll kill, otherwise you're good to go.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I met the pot knight Alexander(?). is there any benefit to killing him? I probably won't cuz he rocks but just wondering

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
lmao i got the infinite invasion item last night finally. 10000 hours incoming

https://twitter.com/neatsaux/status/1498166470362247169?s=20&t=4TyqePMt9e-qLqWjSMd-eQ

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was having such a hard time with Rennala until I summoned a naked dude with a massive hammer that destroyed her before I could do much.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

God, I just wanna play so much more that i'm moving up to the lake area but... work. gently caress.

I actually thought last week that I might beat the game over the weekend seeing I took friday off as well (totaled 29 hours from thursday evening to yesterday). Instead I'm worrying about the amount of time I get each evening now not being enough to make a reasonable dent

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

The new process for switching weapons and two handing is a little cumbersome but I'm getting used to it. I don't think you need to press the d pad to go from bow to sword if the bow is in your left hand and the sword in your right. You should just be able to hit y+r1 two times. I think its two times. I did this a bunch while fighting godrick to get free bow shots at him when he did the earthquake move.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

i'm legit glad the week's started up again because i played so much elden ring over the weekend that i'm probably gonna pull a muscle in my shoulder if i keep at the same pace

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gorson posted:

I pretty much immediately changed my weapon setup to have the uchigatana and the bow in my right hand so I can just tap right on the control pad to swap between them as needed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

same

Char
Jan 5, 2013

codo27 posted:

I actually thought last week that I might beat the game over the weekend seeing I took friday off as well (totaled 29 hours from thursday evening to yesterday). Instead I'm worrying about the amount of time I get each evening now not being enough to make a reasonable dent

Same. As soon as I noticed this, I stopped rushing the "main quest". BOTW feelings all over again

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
This game is a giant pain in my rear end, makes me want to throw my controller at the screen some times (Tree warden, I'm looking at you), and I love every minute of it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the only thing I can really say I dislike is the crafting system, just let me buy or pick up the items instead of having to gather ingredients and then combine them, it's annoying and I've pretty much ignored it because of that

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

actionjackson posted:

the only thing I can really say I dislike is the crafting system, just let me buy or pick up the items instead of having to gather ingredients and then combine them, it's annoying and I've pretty much ignored it because of that

Bone darts are great. Especially in that tomb where little fuckers cling to the walls. Bone darts make em fall off the wall so i can take them one at a time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just met Muriel and I can say with 100% certainty that this is th best game ever made :kimchi:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I didn't realize they changed how invasions worked. You can only get invaded if you're already co-oping with someone. This is a perfect change, absolutely love it.

Side note, the miniboss that made me rage the most so far is the minor tree boss in the red area. It's not even hard but the arena/camera are just not your friends.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

MasterBuilder posted:

I have seen about twenty chests in my travels and hit every single one to check for mimics. Haven't found one yet but I'm still going to swing at the twenty first chest just in case.

Also gently caress preceptor Miriam. I'm glad she got stuck in a corner and got filled with 20 arrows.

I'm always rolling away now since the first chest I opened teleported me across the map into that crystal cave.

Found only one other teleporter trap chest so far.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Hey gently caress the crucible knights thats all

Any tips on them? I can get them into dragon mode

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Darke GBF posted:

Figuring out how to beat Greyll was one of the most satisfying things for me in the game so far. Initially couldn't get him below like 85%, and then I started experimenting and it clicked. Now I absolutely murder any dragon I come across, even new types I haven't seen before.

WHAT

alright now I think I know what I have to do to continue in that area. I beat them earlier but couldn't figure out how to progress after them.

I’m curious what made the difference for you with dragons. What did you change?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I took thursday and friday off to play this game and now that Im back at work Idk what to do with my life.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That jump then R2 thing someone mentioned earlier in thread doesn't work at all. Why would you lie to me.

Also god enemies can do one hundred thousand moves on you one after the other. where's you're stamina bar assholes??

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 28, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

haldolium posted:

I'm always rolling away now since the first chest I opened teleported me across the map into that crystal cave.

Found only one other teleporter trap chest so far.

teleporter chests are good and your friend
embrace your shrimp-filled destiny

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mae posted:

Hey gently caress the crucible knights thats all

Any tips on them? I can get them into dragon mode
I took the opportunity to learn how to parry them. I can only parry at all consistently with the little round shields.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Cimber posted:

This game is a giant pain in my rear end, makes me want to throw my controller at the screen some times (Tree warden, I'm looking at you), and I love every minute of it.

The tree sentinel on horse back at the beginning of the game? Hold off until you get your horse. and circle counter clockwise if I remember correctly. You can parry at least one of his attacks but I was never good enough to use that as a viable strat

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

codo27 posted:

I put in 45 hours over a 3 day weekend and I’ve made decent progress but I know I’ve missed a ton of poo poo and there’s still plenty of game

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I go to sleep thinking about Elden Ring, I wake up thinking about Elden Ring.

I am become Elden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso posted:

That jump then R2 thing someone mentioned earlier in thread doesn't work at all. Why would you lie to me.

Yeah you generally can't just jump from a standstill and R2 at all times (which I think was the advice). You gotta dodge and jump R2 with an opening and get them in fairly quickly to stagger. The advice'd probably work on general enemies but on the big bosses thus far I've had to dodge and jump R2 during openings.