Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Belan posted:

10 hours in as a caster and I'm kinda regretting it, I forgot how monotonous spamming the same spell over and over gets.

I have two whole spells! But still, to manage FP, I do a lot of backstabbing/stealthing, and using my dogshit starter short sword on things. Or if I'm outdoors, once the magic runs out, I just become a hit and run mounted combat lady on Torrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I finally found the item that lets you purchase smithing stone 1. Thank gently caress.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if I had one complaint.. just ONE complaint about this game because it's near perfect to me -

this game does such a great job of verticality, and of including underground areas, but one of my favourite parts of the design of the previous games was those ways in which the underground and above ground areas interact. it was a much more dynamic interaction than you see in this game, where despite the great emphasis on verticality the underground areas (so far) have existed in basically a totally different playspace than above, separated exclusively by elevators or one way doors to closed off dungeons.

this is probably an engine limitation thing but it's still my complaint.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My notes:

“oh lol i found this thing at this place.”

“Lol the gently caress was this thing”

“X NPC wants me to do this”

Meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/stepickford/status/1498233287214575616?s=21

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol all that and he spelt margit wrong

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MasterBuilder posted:

I have seen about twenty chests in my travels and hit every single one to check for mimics. Haven't found one yet but I'm still going to swing at the twenty first chest just in case.

Same. I’ll never stop. You can tell me that no chests in this game will kill me with video evidence and a notarized report from the developer saying as much but I’ve been trolled by Dark Souls fans before.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My notes:

Meanwhile,

I can't draw worth a poo poo like this guy can, but I might have to start doing the same. Which kinda owns, I think the last time I really kept a for real game journal was when I was in grade school playing Myst (I'm old).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My notes:

Meanwhile,

hey i think this is the guy who made plok

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow I just tried incorporating a bow into my playstyle and I'm very glad I did-- just being able to pull enemies from packs is so handy I can't believe I lived without it, and the chip damage is surprisingly good with just the minimal dex investment I needed to equip one. Probably not killing the guy before he reaches me but a couple shots can make the difference between needing 3 sword swings or 4.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

My copy of Elden Ring from Gamestop finally showed up! They definitely made it up to me for not getting it here for release day, though:

That's right, losers, I've already got the Elden Ring. I think I'll just finish up Horizon this week and give you noobs a chance to catch up with me.

(Please ignore the lint -- as soon as I stepped out of the room, the cat decided to become an Elden Lord and stole the ring.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bows are really, really useful in this, yeah. I don't know if they're quite as amazing as they are in Demon's Souls but having a longbow was a huge help in Stormveil since I could do a big chunk of damage headshotting enemies from a distance.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Finally beat Godric and made it to the lake. Man I suck rear end at this game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

There is some really good circumstantial storytelling when you stop to consider how the major bosses fight and their approaches to dealing with you, the Problem.

The Margit and Godrick contrasts couldn't be more clear, for instance, or even how Godrick's tactics change in the second half of his fight when it becomes obvious that the Tarnished is a serious threat.

The cutscene between the Godrick phases is so good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The cutscene between the Godrick phases is so good.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sorcery is legit fun in this game. In the Raya Academy, going toe-to-toe with other sorcerers firing swift glintstone shards at each other feels like a wizard duel in harry potter.

This is the game of my dreams.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There are too many good ashes of war, I can't decide what I want to use lol

Do I want the Smough buttstomp? The holy moonlight blade attack? The blood slash that seems like it always works? Flailing like a dumbass? :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a Bleeding whetstone?
I have a neeeeeeeed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok, I saw someone I summoned wearing the armor from someone at the roundtabel It was the armor with like a piece of metal hugging the armor - they are sitting down when you come in.

Where the heck do you get THAT.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a Bleeding whetstone?
I have a neeeeeeeed.

I found an Ash that adds bleeding. Along the road to Mistwood is a Noble who asks you to take his fort back. Do that and the NPC you fight at the top of the fort drops it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What are the glowing skulls on the ground that people keep talking about? I don't think I've seen any of these, but it sounds like they're common?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Are people just stopping using the pebble once you have the shard spells available?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, I saw someone I summoned wearing the armor from someone at the roundtabel It was the armor with like a piece of metal hugging the armor - they are sitting down when you come in.

Where the heck do you get THAT.
Give the lady a hug again. You'll get an option to talk to her. Talk to her, then talk to D (guy with that armor), give him the item, then leave and come back to round table and go past the blacksmith into the now open door.

EXTRA WARNING:
This will be the last you ever see of D.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What are the glowing skulls on the ground that people keep talking about? I don't think I've seen any of these, but it sounds like they're common?

It’s literally tiny little skulls with glowing eyes and yeah they’re scattered everywhere. They have a low level rune in them if you break em (easiest way it to simply ride over them with Torrent and hit triangle to pickup whatever is inside.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Are people just stopping using the pebble once you have the shard spells available?

Shard’s range is poo poo compared to pebble

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

They certainly left that part out of the video they released showing the fight.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mcmagic posted:

like every souls game since time immemorial, the mp to damage ratio of the bog standard basic pebble/soul arrow can't be beat by stronger sorceries, so it's essentially something you want to keep glued to your spell slots at all times as a plinking weapon

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like that if you run into those skulls they go flying but thankfully the horse crushes them

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mcmagic posted:

Pebble has longer range than Quick Shard so it's still worth keeping around.
Great Shard is more damaging but also less fp-efficient. So it's a good option for pumping out some damage in boss fights during limited spell-casting windows but not just a swap-in replacement.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Regarding godrick. Is there any lore reason to connect his physical appearance and the wind power. Or is that just the castle because they feel a bit disconnected.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Give the lady a hug again. You'll get an option to talk to her. Talk to her, then talk to D (guy with that armor), give him the item, then leave and come back to round table and go past the blacksmith into the now open door.

EXTRA WARNING:

I did this (accidentally, lol, and immediately knew I had done something wrong) but the red invader pox dude just stands around threatening me. Spirit tuning lady warns me about him but I can't seem to trigger anything to progress -- is this just a "wait until later" thing?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s literally tiny little skulls with glowing eyes and yeah they’re scattered everywhere. They have a low level rune in them if you break em (easiest way it to simply ride over them with Torrent and hit triangle to pickup whatever is inside.

i think of em like the elden ring equivalent of cutting up bushes for money

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 28, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Wave posted:

EXTRA WARNING:

I was wondering what was up with that guy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

goferchan posted:

I did this (accidentally, lol, and immediately knew I had done something wrong) but the red invader pox dude just stands around threatening me. Spirit tuning lady warns me about him but I can't seem to trigger anything to progress -- is this just a "wait until later" thing?
I didn't see anything like that unfortunately.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SHISHKABOB posted:

Fun fact about this: he actually cuts his hand off in-game not just in the cutscene, in most cases the timing is so swift it switches to the cutscene as soon as he swings the blade. The attack will actually hurt you though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

I didn't see anything like that unfortunately.

Yeah but where do you get D's armor? I figured I sent him off to his death but haven't found him anywhere. Not sure who the actual rightful owner of the dagger is.

edit: Ohhhh wait, we're talking about two different newly-opened doors. Thank you! Got it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

goferchan posted:

Yeah but where do you get D's armor? I figured I sent him off to his death but haven't found him anywhere. Not sure who the actual rightful owner of the dagger is.
I gave the dagger to D, then the door past the blacksmith was open after I left and returned to round table and his body with all of his armor was there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

No Wave posted:

I didn't realize they changed how invasions worked. You can only get invaded if you're already co-oping with someone. This is a perfect change, absolutely love it.

it's absolute garbage actually

but at least it's basically how DS3 already worked in practice and if you aren't a huge baby you can opt in to being a solo invadee

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I love having those 200 rune items because I can just pop a few every time I'm missing a little bit for a level up, and then relax a bit more about death.

Anyone found a way to get on the top of the plateau west of Liurnia lake? General hints only, not specific solutions.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
At 71 Int, with the sorcery+ medallion and the meteorite catalyst, the big 70 Int, 55 FP spell does... 840. Pebble does 326. It's not even three pebbles. Also you can't cast it mounted as it has a whole elaborate casting animation followed by a slow-moving projectile. You can stand there waggling your wand and outdamage it while also being faster and incredibly cheaper by using the starting sorcery. Bravo, magic team from DS2, you've done it again!

Granted, the catalyst from the same soul says it boosts that particular spell, but I don't have the high level somber stones to get it to where it has S scaling and bypasses the meteorite staff. It'd have to boost it through the ceiling to justify the cost so I'm going with No.

Has anyone found the homing soulmass-like ashes yet? I get the second spell version and it sucks, but I was wondering if the ash version was left in as OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's absolute garbage actually

but at least it's basically how DS3 already worked in practice and if you aren't a huge baby you can opt in to being a solo invadee

I've probably done ~30 invasions since getting the infinite invade item and I think only one of them has been less than a 3v1. It's wild how much they hate invasions.