Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Fun fact about this: he actually cuts his hand off in-game not just in the cutscene, in most cases the timing is so swift it switches to the cutscene as soon as he swings the blade. The attack will actually hurt you though.

Yeah I almost got killed by it one time lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mailer posted:

At 71 Int, with the sorcery+ medallion and the meteorite catalyst, the big 70 Int, 55 FP spell does... 840. Pebble does 326. It's not even three pebbles. Also you can't cast it mounted as it has a whole elaborate casting animation followed by a slow-moving projectile. You can stand there waggling your wand and outdamage it while also being faster and incredibly cheaper by using the starting sorcery. Bravo, magic team from DS2, you've done it again!

Granted, the catalyst from the same soul says it boosts that particular spell, but I don't have the high level somber stones to get it to where it has S scaling and bypasses the meteorite staff. It'd have to boost it through the ceiling to justify the cost so I'm going with No.

Has anyone found the homing soulmass-like ashes yet? I get the second spell version and it sucks, but I was wondering if the ash version was left in as OP.
hey i know you're using the meteorite catalyst because it's got s scaling but you realize staves that are upgradeable can go up to +25 right have you considered they might have better magic damage in the long run between that and their natural scaling

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also Fromsoft turned the Obscuring Ring into a talisman that only works while crouched lol

the filthy casul is coming from inside the studio

e: it's not all bad though, i'm enjoying the fact that the "HP / FP regen on crits" talismans are actually good now instead of being a lovely joke played on people who wanted renewable FP. they also trigger a second time if you KILL an enemy with a crit, which isn't documented anywhere in their description

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also Fromsoft turned the Obscuring Ring into a talisman that only works while crouched lol

the filthy casul is coming from inside the studio

It is a little disappointing that invasions are so limited.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Invasions are great. These red guys are free XP. Sometimes I get killed, but is because I am bad.

When you get invaded you get warned, so you can easily stick with the other dudes and watch out for the invader.

I have never feel that invading where breaking my gameplay.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

hey i know you're using the meteorite catalyst because it's got s scaling but you realize staves that are upgradeable can go up to +25 right have you considered they might have better magic damage in the long run between that and their natural scaling

i'm going to be pretty lol if all these reports of top tier magic being poo poo are because all these people have been using the magic equivalent of the drake sword

edit: or i guess more accurately the oolacile ivory catalyst

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

dude gently caress these loving Forsaken Knights in Stormveil. I've kinda figured out the halberd knights by using guard counter attacks, but jesus the sword and board dudes are a real pain in the butt! i honestly had much less trouble with Margit than these fuckers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

definitely feels like bosses give way too little for how difficult they are. i miss beating a boss in ds2 and being able to get like 10 levels off it

I think it’s balanced around the number of souls just lying around in the open world that you can pick up. Maybe

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Watched Hasan get wrecked about 20 times by Mad Tongue Alberich and then killed him on the 2nd try this morning. I suck slightly less!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can I change the voice of my dude. My staggered noise is so annoying.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I stuck around the entrance to Leonine Misbegotten to help with summons, with an Iron Cleaver using the Sacred Blade Ashes and it breaks his guard so I can run up and smack him again with R2 then back up and repeat.
It's incredible how easily I can dominate this dude now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CYBEReris posted:

definitely feels like bosses give way too little for how difficult they are. i miss beating a boss in ds2 and being able to get like 10 levels off it
I kind of feel that way but at the same time I'm still level 62 having done what looks like a third of the content available to me right now. The game is just so enormous that you do end up leveling eventually.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

i'm going to be pretty lol if all these reports of top tier magic being poo poo are because all these people have been using the magic equivalent of the drake sword

I have a feeling most people haven't cracked open magic yet. I'm not gonna do a magic run until I know where all the good poo poo is. Like I'm gonna need a talisman that plain buffs magic damage, which I might have already or it might be one for incantations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

m.hache posted:

Yeah, there's a mirror in Roundtable Hold you can use to completely alter your character's appearance, including voice.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

m.hache posted:

there's a mirror in the roundtable hall that lets you redo your character creation sans class, i'm pretty sure you can change your voice there

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phoix posted:

I've probably done ~30 invasions since getting the infinite invade item and I think only one of them has been less than a 3v1. It's wild how much they hate invasions.

in fairness i'm not sure how fun invasions will really be in this game in the long run, the level design doesn't seemed designed for it at all. in DS3 the enemies are passive enough that they supplement an invader without being overwhelming bullshit and the progression through most areas is such that either the host or the invader are at advantage at different times, leading to a really interesting back-and-forth (assuming the host doesn't just hide at spawn like a ninny)

meanwhile in Elden Ring you've basically just got short little gauntlets before a boss fight filled with hyper-aggressive enemies that don't really need an invader to supplement them. now granted that basically makes a 3v1 closer to a fair fight, but like, you're applying a bandaid to a problem you could have just not caused in the first place lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I have a feeling most people haven't cracked open magic yet. I'm not gonna do a magic run until I know where all the good poo poo is. Like I'm gonna need a talisman that plain buffs magic damage, which I might have already or it might be one for incantations.

I'm just leveling way slower than all the good players so I'm sure once I get to the higher levels someone will have figured it out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

he's not complaining about the damage being poo poo he's compared about the relative strength/efficiency vs pebble

Although looking at the numbers, Crystal Soul Spear in ds3 only did ~2.4x the damage of Soul Arrow or ~2x the damage of Great Soul Arrow so I guess it's always been like that. You pay a premium to get the damage right now instead of 3 casts from now.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

To everyone wondering about where to get sick gear: Check the wandering vendors always. Got plenty of great weapons and armor off them. Buy it all and mix and match. Fashion Ring.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

I think it’s balanced around the number of souls just lying around in the open world that you can pick up. Maybe

I was probably still overleveled for the third (?) story boss and she still gave me two levels worth of runes. I was certainly overleveled for Margit and Godrick and that was after doing a poo poo ton of catacombs/caves, both (or first two?) rivers, and all of the peninsula.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want to see an invader at all lol, it just isn't happening and I'm usually in co-op one way or another. The blue ring just doesn't ever seem to trigger.

Mailer posted:

At 71 Int, with the sorcery+ medallion and the meteorite catalyst, the big 70 Int, 55 FP spell does... 840. Pebble does 326. It's not even three pebbles. Also you can't cast it mounted as it has a whole elaborate casting animation followed by a slow-moving projectile. You can stand there waggling your wand and outdamage it while also being faster and incredibly cheaper by using the starting sorcery. Bravo, magic team from DS2, you've done it again!

Rip in peace, Great Resonant Soul

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 28, 2022

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

mcmagic posted:

Are people just stopping using the pebble once you have the shard spells available?

I've switched from pebble to swift shard and I can't see myself looking back. I use rock sling for larger distances and the range on it is so superior to everything else that it's just my go to for anything outside of my shard range. Shard is also insanely FP efficient. Glintstone pebble doesn't seem to do much more damage, but at more than twice the FP cost. It certainly doesn't deal twice the damage to make up the difference, and swift shard attacks so quickly it feels like I can get 3 swift shards off in the time it takes to get 2 pebbles off.

I could be totally wrong on this but I used pebble because people said it's more efficient, and decided to try swift shard on a whim and it feels much, much better.

For bosses and things I typically just use rock sling because of its insane damage and staggering ability, but for going around dungeons swift shard is my jam.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm just leveling way slower than all the good players so I'm sure once I get to the higher levels someone will have figured it out.

one of the many reasons i think the RPG element to souls games is loving stupid is that it basically rewards you with more math-scaling power if you're already good at the game while holding you back if you aren't

Sekiro's "a little bit of XP grinding but major power boosts only come from killing bosses" was a huge improvement and they should have gone further down that path instead of taking three steps back to almost MMO levels of upgrading / leveling / etc. pacing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

he's not complaining about the damage being poo poo he's compared about the relative strength/efficiency vs pebble

Although looking at the numbers, Crystal Soul Spear in ds3 only did ~2.4x the damage of Soul Arrow or ~2x the damage of Great Soul Arrow so I guess it's always been like that. You pay a premium to get the damage right now instead of 3 casts from now.

yeah, it's always been that way forever even back to dark souls 1 where you could stack a million buffs to magic damage and 30 copies of a spell to make it worthwhile, the most "efficient" spell was 80 copies of great soul arrow. in dark souls 2 it was 80 copies of dark orb. at least if the damage scales multiplicatively with the sorcery stat of a wand "3x the damage of a soul pebble" might be worth a drat.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 28, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s literally tiny little skulls with glowing eyes and yeah they’re scattered everywhere. They have a low level rune in them if you break em (easiest way it to simply ride over them with Torrent and hit triangle to pickup whatever is inside.

how the gently caress have I not seen these? I'm like 30 hours in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I've switched from pebble to swift shard and I can't see myself looking back. I use rock sling for larger distances and the range on it is so superior to everything else that it's just my go to for anything outside of my shard range. Shard is also insanely FP efficient. Glintstone pebble doesn't seem to do much more damage, but at more than twice the FP cost. It certainly doesn't deal twice the damage to make up the difference, and swift shard attacks so quickly it feels like I can get 3 swift shards off in the time it takes to get 2 pebbles off.

I could be totally wrong on this but I used pebble because people said it's more efficient, and decided to try swift shard on a whim and it feels much, much better.

For bosses and things I typically just use rock sling because of its insane damage and staggering ability, but for going around dungeons swift shard is my jam.

Yeah the rocks are OP. I've been wrecking everyone with that and just using pebble on trash mobs and to finish off big stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

how the gently caress have I not seen these? I'm like 30 hours in.

i mean

"gosh, how could i miss these little golden glowy skeleton bits in a world made entirely out of golden stuff and skeleton bits" isn't something you should beat yourself up about lol

i love the environmental design in this game, Sekiro was the first Fromsoft title i would honestly describe as beautiful and Elden Ring doubles down on that while also making the environment significantly more alien than Sekiro's "basically just Japan in the fall" aesthetic. the capital and caelim in particular are just absolutely wonderful

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phoix posted:

I've probably done ~30 invasions since getting the infinite invade item and I think only one of them has been less than a 3v1. It's wild how much they hate invasions.

It's been really fun watching people complain more and more about how unfair it is that they can't just poo poo up someone's game since three made invaders prioritize multiplayer games.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I know there's a mirror you can change your appearance but is there any way to ever change your character's name?

I started over once I realized that the witch who gives you the summoning bell got attacked by the rear end in a top hat on horseback who chased me to the church so I never would've gotten the option to summon them otherwise; and I gave my character a really stupid name that I now regret.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

mcmagic posted:

Yeah the rocks are OP. I've been wrecking everyone with that and just using pebble on trash mobs and to finish off big stuff.

playing this game a second time with a different build will be tough when I can just rock sling things like dragons from 300 feet away while my spirits tank their hits, then run in to get a critical hit when it's staggered

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the mirror lets you change your name too, yeah. which i did once i realized my character of "warty fartboob" was coming up as "warty ****"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Last night decided to go back to the Ghost Sorcery Town for a bit since I first went there after getting teleported to the BUG LASER CRSYTAL MINING CAVE and figured at a higher level with better equipment I could explore around a bit.

Went to a gate, fought a hilarious looking giant dog thing, that had an even larger-than-it-should-be head, even relative to the already large dog then turned around and noticed a loving GIANT (alien?) SKULL LOOMING OVER THE TOWN.

drat, this game is cool, that whole area is creepy as gently caress and I love it.

Like pretty much every other Souls game, I will have to binge watch a lot of VaatiVidya videos on what the everliving gently caress any of this poo poo means, lore-wise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also while I'm thinking about it, I love how much of the npcs seem to do stuff without you and have multiple ways to go. It feels better than the DS3 half and half where Greirat just dies - there's so much everywhere, it doesn't matter

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

lmfao holy poo poo
https://twitter.com/i/status/1497871278530654211

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

SHISHKABOB posted:

The game is amazing but this is one of my few complaints so far. As obscure as the Souls games are, they ultimately are based around a central hub that splits into a few mostly-linear pathways. You're bound to encounter certain items, NPCs, merchants, etc. before too long. Elden Ring is almost completely decentralized, so you have things like the sorcery teacher living in a hole in the ground in a random ruin, with the only hint coming in the form of an optional item you can buy. It's just like, some things that are fundamental to playing the game, like being able to buy more spells, are almost impossible to come across naturally. Even more than the other games, Elden Ring feels designed to make you refer to online sources for info.

Like imagine if in Morrowind, the mudcrab merchant was the only way to buy spells. That's how Elden Ring feels at times.

At least, that's my experience with sorceries. If I were just playing a STR, DEX, or Quality build, I could probably beat the game without feeling like I was missing out on anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It's been really fun watching people complain more and more about how unfair it is that they can't just poo poo up someone's game since three made invaders prioritize multiplayer games.

invasions the single most interesting thing about Dark Souls from either end of the interaction and Fromsoft's gradual realization that they'll sell more games by being boring is a testament to how terrified gamers are of being taken out of their comfort zone

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"elden ring is boring" -Tuxedo Catfish

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

invasions the single most interesting thing about Dark Souls from either end of the interaction and Fromsoft's gradual realization that they'll sell more games by being boring is a testament to how terrified gamers are of being taken out of their comfort zone
or 1 on 1 PVP is just not something most people enjoy?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/l0Xgdsg.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Whirligig saw, gotcha