Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I mean the apple keyboard (non touchpad one) I used to have was only marginally thicker when applied to the iPad. Keyboard is a non negotiable thing for me because I do enough casual writing (buying/selling things off craigslist, SA posting, discord chats) but I can easily live without the trackpad.

Are there any other compelling reasons to consider the Air aside from the bigger screen/smaller bezels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got the 64gb ipad air 2020 version and wish I had gone for the 256gb version instead

however, especially for media consumption (especially if you pre-download videos like netflix stuff) you can offload some of that into a somewhat cheap USB drive if you also get a USB-C dock for it, so there's still options.

Then again, I got a stand for it and have my air hooked up to a USB hub where I have an actual desktop (windows) mechanical rgb keyboard and windows gaming mouse connected to the ipad air lol

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

What's the best iPad for content consumption? I have an aging 2014 MBPR which fulfilled its role as college laptop and occasional productivity (MS Word) device after college. Nowadays its used exclusively for Discord, Safari, YouTube. I'm thinking my next portable device should maybe be an iPad with a keyboard-folio thing. I used to have a 1st gen iPad Pro and it was perfect for what it was, but I had to sell it to get some cash together. I think it might have been a bit overpowered for what I was using it for - discord and youtube side-by-side. I never did anything remotely "pro" on it.

I dont think I need the Pro model, so im debating between the base iPad vs the iPad Air which looks a lot nicer and less dated. The problem is that the base storage for both seems pretty bleak. If I were to get an iPad Air, it seems wise to get the 256gb version, which kicks up the price to $750, and then the smart keyboard is another $180... $930 total before tax for a device im using primarily for discord, iMessage, Safari and Youtube. It seems ridiculously expensive. I could just get a base Macbook Air for marginally more but I do like the extreme portability of an iPad.

What do you say, goons

Why do you need a keyboard for a content consumption device?

Edit: saw your post above. IMO, if you are writing, that’s even more of a reason to get the Air in my opinion. Serious idea: maybe the iPad Pro 11” 128GB? Not a huge difference from the Air 256GB

Regular iPad would be fine, IMO I would get the Air for the better screen, but at this point don’t get it full price, you could find a discount somewhere. I think 64GB would be fine , but i guess that’s preference too.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Literally anything you want to do can be done on the regular iPad. If you want to consume video or game the mini is really great and has the most powerful non pro chip. The air is old, expensive for what it is, and overpowered for what you need, but like all things it can be worth it if you find a deal.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anothergod posted:

Literally anything you want to do can be done on the regular iPad. If you want to consume video or game the mini is really great and has the most powerful non pro chip. The air is old, expensive for what it is, and overpowered for what you need, but like all things it can be worth it if you find a deal.

if you have a semi recent phone, an ipad mini is typically only 2" larger, and was harder to justify (for me) for something that is only 100$ cheaper than an ipaid air which was 4" larger. Realistically, the 2020 air is only less than 2 years old, and everything I've thrown at it works perfectly (as a mini computer I draw on sometimes, so screen size is more important to me than a more powerful cpu I haven't been able to max out as is)

I don't like watching content on my pixel 4xl because it's not large enough, an 8.3" screen wouldn't be large enough either. (if I had the money I would have got the 12.9" ipad pro)

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Yah. The air is plenty powerful for non pro workflows. It’s also pretty cumbersome in bed and heavy to hold near your face. The standard iPad does all that for half the price. I think the last time I was in this thread it was a bunch of air owners justifying their purchase the same way. Gotta have the power/size just in case.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Isn't the Air the same size and weight as the standard iPad? I haven't used the new Airs but are they really that unwieldy in comparison?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Isn't the Air the same size and weight as the standard iPad? I haven't used the new Airs but are they really that unwieldy in comparison?

Regular iPad is 10.2, air is 10.9. The Air has a fused screen so it is a noticeably nicer screen is the real difference.

Air also still has a better processor. Again, Air is great, but I wouldn’t pay full price because it should be easy to find a discount.

End of the day it just depends on preference and what you’re willing to spend.

iPad Mini is still a good (albeit not cheap) option, screen size may be close to the Max, but bear in mind the edge to edge is different proportions, so you’re still getting more screen real estate with the mini.

Hell, you can probably find a discounted or slightly used iPad 11 pro 2020 for a good price too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Procrastinated about picking up a refurb 12.9" 2020 pro over the weekend from Apple and now they're all gone (Wifi, 128gb). Does the refurb store regularly refresh or should I start looking at sub-optimal solutions like Amazon renewed? Was hoping to get this in a couple weeks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anothergod posted:

Yah. The air is plenty powerful for non pro workflows. It’s also pretty cumbersome in bed and heavy to hold near your face. The standard iPad does all that for half the price. I think the last time I was in this thread it was a bunch of air owners justifying their purchase the same way. Gotta have the power/size just in case.

Tbh I personally find holding a phone in bed is cumbersome already, and holding a switch is cumbersome. I've been debating getting a bed mount for tablets instead

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tablets are big enough you can prop it up on your chest and hold it up with you non dominant hand and use your good hand to interact. I’m curious how people hold it that makes their arms tired, do you suspend it over your head or something?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
smh people always holding it wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Procrastinated about picking up a refurb 12.9" 2020 pro over the weekend from Apple and now they're all gone (Wifi, 128gb). Does the refurb store regularly refresh or should I start looking at sub-optimal solutions like Amazon renewed? Was hoping to get this in a couple weeks.

They get new stuff in all the time. I’d just wait it out a bit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

They get new stuff in all the time. I’d just wait it out a bit.

Cheers! Thank you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hatty posted:

Tablets are big enough you can prop it up on your chest and hold it up with you non dominant hand and use your good hand to interact. I’m curious how people hold it that makes their arms tired, do you suspend it over your head or something?

Fat arms are heavy to hold up for extended periods

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Set up an alert at https://refurb-tracker.com/ and get an email when the store gets restocked :)

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Tbh I personally find holding a phone in bed is cumbersome already, and holding a switch is cumbersome. I've been debating getting a bed mount for tablets instead

I lay on my stomach or side when I'm in bed, so I just prop my mini up w/ its triangle stand. Because it's so close it takes up way more of my FOV than my TV. I've thought about getting a mount for my iPad mini, but it's so hard finding one that'll hold it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Just got my 2017 ipad 10.5 inch pro back from apple servicing the battery. I still love it and it's snappy enouogh for me for now

Just wanted to quote this to note that I loving loved that iPad Pro. The 10.5 was SUCH a good iteration of the tablet.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If anyone is planning on upgrading their iPad on March 8th, I'm in the market for an Air2 or newer...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

~Coxy posted:

If anyone is planning on upgrading their iPad on March 8th, I'm in the market for an Air2 or newer...

Why do you have my sons tablet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

~Coxy posted:

If the rumored Air has what I want in a successor, i will consider selling my space gray 256gb 9th gen. (I'll include the cheapo Amazon smart case/cover)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Does i(pad)OS 11 have full-disk encryption? I have an extremely dead iPad Pro I want to drop off at the Apple store for recycling, but am being paranoid about personal data. It's so dead their in-store plug-in-diagnostics-thingy didn't even see it, so it's probably safe, but...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just grabbed the refurb 2020 12.9" for my son, thanks for the advice on that tracker website. While I managed to refresh and catch it early, the email just came through shortly after and I would've been able to grab them from that. Appreciate the help!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bobstar posted:

Does i(pad)OS 11 have full-disk encryption? I have an extremely dead iPad Pro I want to drop off at the Apple store for recycling, but am being paranoid about personal data. It's so dead their in-store plug-in-diagnostics-thingy didn't even see it, so it's probably safe, but...

Yeah you're fine. The pro would have hardware based encryption. If memory servers, the iPhone 3GS was the first to have it so you're definitely good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

If the rumored Air has what I want in a successor, i will consider selling my space gray 256gb 9th gen. (I'll include the cheapo Amazon smart case/cover)

FRESH NEW RUMORS say it will have an M1 chip making it more Pro than regular.
https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/07/exclusive-ipad-air-5-to-match-ipad-pro-performance-with-m1-chip-5g/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Eww no, that's going to gently caress the battery life. Just gimme the a15, 6gb ram, center stage, macro mode on the rear ultrawide, four speakers, and (most importantly) 128gb storage for the base model (this won't happen :smith: )

I have enough stuff i want stored later for offline use i can probably make decent use of that amount, but 256gb will take a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That in no way would “gently caress the battery life”.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The M1 is just a gussied up A15 iirc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

M1 has two more energy-efficient cores and more graphics cores than the A15. None of this is going to "gently caress the battery life" in normal usage (and more low-power cores may actually help).

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Makes sense going forward if it's true- the Pro gets the M(Current) and Air gets M(last year) while the plain Jane iPad gets an A series chip.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It certainly makes more sense than the Air getting a variant that only it uses.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Isn't the M1 the same generation as A14?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The iPad Pros run about 10 hours w/ M1s, so I'd expect Airs to be around that. I guess it's about time for me to stop dunking on the Air.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

So, iPad pro 11" 128gb is CAD $1000, iPad Air 256gb is CAD $950. Twice the storage, half the refresh rate, half the speakers. And a tenth of an inch smaller screen.

🤔

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
And the Air comes in purple the choice is clear

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

And the Air comes in purple the choice is clear

yeah: hard no, since the green is gone.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I'm curious to see if the new Airs have the same jelly scrolling issue as the Mini. The screens seem to be the same otherwise between the new Air/Mini.

If the Air doesn't have jelly scrolling, then I think we can take that as an implicit admission that they hosed up the Mini's screen. IIRC, some tech vlogger theorized the issue with the Mini was just that Apple installed the display controller rotated incorrectly

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Just grabbed the refurb 2020 12.9" for my son, thanks for the advice on that tracker website. While I managed to refresh and catch it early, the email just came through shortly after and I would've been able to grab them from that. Appreciate the help!

Returning this poo poo and getting him a 256gb M1 Air!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Euphoriaphone posted:

IIRC, some tech vlogger theorized the issue with the Mini was just that Apple installed the display controller rotated incorrectly

Is this a joke? Do people think a multi trillion dollar company would install a part upside down and then, when exposed, would just continue to do it and not fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Who are you going to believe?

Tim Apple or your lying eyes?

Also you're holding it wrong. :colbert: