Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

I was responding specifically to the claim that Ukraine, contrary to corrupt and fascist Russia, was a freedom-loving liberal democracy that doesn't mistreat its own people.

Of course it matters that we're shipping arms to modern day Dirlewanger Brigades. It's going to prolong the conflct and increase the suffering and bloodshed, not the opposite.

As opposed to what? We let them get rolled over and do absolutely nothing? What in the world would give you the impression that Putin's going to stop at Ukraine or that the suffering ends with Russia stomping over a country?

You're being very cute with your WWII references but your analogy falls apart completely looking at who the aggressor is. You gotta be completely broke brained to think that a minority of far right fascists existing in a democratic country makes it fair to deem the entire government and its people as Nazis. If that were the case, Sweden, with its 3rd largest party being SD, would be essentially Nazi Germany in your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

fnox posted:

What in the world would give you the impression that Putin's going to stop at Ukraine or that the suffering ends with Russia stomping over a country?

As an added note here from an observer since you ain't directing that at me:

Putin is guided largely by pan-slavinist fantasies of guys like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and Aleksandr Dugin. They want a slavic state composed of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

He isn't looking to start some colonial war in Europe aimed at turning France into a breadbasket for Germany. Nor is he likely to want more, the ideology that guids his actions does not mandate that, unlike Hitler.

That said none of that means we shouldn't support Ukraine, including by sending anti-tank weapons etc.

I do however want to discourage the kind of pseudoorientalist "eastern horde" nonsense that comes out of the anti-russia circles everytime something like this happens. It isn't helpful or insightful.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

As an added note here from an observer since you ain't directing that at me:

Putin is guided largely by pan-slavinist fantasies of guys like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and Aleksandr Dugin. They want a slavic state composed of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the GULAG archipelago author, or someone else?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The Ukrainians want to defend themselves. They want to fight for their country and freedom. Even if it drags out the war. And they deserve our support.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

fnox posted:

As opposed to what? We let them get rolled over and do absolutely nothing? What in the world would give you the impression that Putin's going to stop at Ukraine or that the suffering ends with Russia stomping over a country?

It doesn't matter how many molotov cocktails they produce or how many Kalashnikovs they hand out to untrained citizens, that's my entire point, it's only going to get them maimed and killed, any different expectation is purely magical thinking.

What prevents Putin steamrolling the rest of Europe is the same thing that hopefully prevents NATO from intervening directly in the conflict, an aversion to nuclear war.

fnox posted:

You're being very cute with your WWII references but your analogy falls apart completely looking at who the aggressor is.

I'm not the one comparing him to Hitler.

fnox posted:

You gotta be completely broke brained to think that a minority of far right fascists existing in a democratic country makes it fair to deem the entire government and its people as Nazis. If that were the case, Sweden, with its 3rd largest party being SD, would be essentially Nazi Germany in your mind.

Then it's a good thing I never claimed anything of the sort.

I keep forgetting why I despise D&D, but thanks for reminding me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonHair posted:

But not barely having Nazis in parliament, can Ukraine really be considered a modern European country?

Makes them much modern than Sweden.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Rappaport posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the GULAG archipelago author, or someone else?

The very one. He was also a nationalist opinionmaker, nostalgic for the Tsarist era etc. Russian integration with Ukraine and Belarus were a key part of his ideas.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

I keep forgetting why I despise D&D, but thanks for reminding me.

Bye.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The very one. He was also a nationalist opinionmaker, nostalgic for the Tsarist era etc. Russian integration with Ukraine and Belarus were a key part of his ideas.

Huh, thanks for the info! I've only read the archipelago, but I've been ignorant about the man's "political" ideas. I just remember the archipelago focusing on misery and hating the Soviets, maybe I should read it again.

vvvv :( Sorry!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 28, 2022

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Alright this derail has gone off the rails, and it's time to put an end to it.

As a reminder, that this is the Scandinavian politics thread, not the ukraine thread. Discussing how this affects scandinavian countries is fair game, but overall discussions about the invasion, Russia, and Ukraine should go to the appropriate threads, which is not here.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also a massive anti-semite, but people often leave out that part for some reason.

You leaving?

Imagine wanting to actually debate and discuss in a subforum ostensibly created for that purpose, instead of whittling down strawmen.

McCloud posted:

As a reminder, that this is the Scandinavian politics thread, not the ukraine thread. Discussing how this affects scandinavian countries is fair game, but overall discussions about the invasion, Russia, and Ukraine should go to the appropriate threads, which is not here.

That's cool. My original post concerned how Enhedslisten voted in favour of arming one side in the conflict.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

It won't make a difference except resulting in more dead civilians.
LOL

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

it's not really comparable with lend-lease, because that was a peer conflict with the outcome uncertain. the soviet union had a lot more strategic depth than does ukraine; it could afford a lot more losses than ukraine can in the present conflict.
And they've been getting their poo poo pushed in to bewildering degree.
Arming ukrainians with modern AT weapons is precisely the kind of thing that did/can make a difference to the outcome.

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't really see "more people dead" as a success criterion tbh
By that measure, any nation should just roll over when the local imperialists roll around?

KozmoNaut posted:

I would love to hear you guys' proposed solution to the current situation, one that isn't "let Putin do whatever he wants and repress the countries around Russia and eventually all of Europe".
TBH the kinda of non-military actions (IE financial/economic sanctions, overflight prohibitions) taken by everyone+dog is precisely the kind of thing countries like Sweden can participate in that don't involve killing anyone, but that only works while an independent ukrainian gov exists, and for that they need to fight.

You can never appease fascists for very long.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 28, 2022

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Arming ukrainians with modern AT weapons is precisely the kind of thing that did/can make a difference to the outcome.

By that measure, any nation should just roll over when the local imperialists roll around?

Putin can have a little imperialism, as a treat

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

McCloud posted:

Ukraine is part of greater Scandinavia.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, the Vikings did sail the rivers of Eastern Europe, so...

Actually, is Svalbard considered Scandinavia, and how's it going with the Russians up there?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

I mean, the Vikings did sail the rivers of Eastern Europe, so...

Actually, is Svalbard considered Scandinavia, and how's it going with the Russians up there?
The Kievan Rus', which Russia, Belarus and Ukraine claim descend from, was a state run by primarily Swedish Norse akin to Normandy in the west. So a bit more than just sailing on rivers.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Kievan Rus', which Russia, Belarus and Ukraine claim descend from, was a state run by primarily Swedish Norse akin to Normandy in the west. So a bit more than just sailing on rivers.

So, what I'm hearing is "rightful Swedish clay"?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

barentsburg is still populated and mining coal and they still have what i believe to be the last dedicated post office in norway. they don't have an air strip so they shouldn't be overly affected by the flight ban.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So is Britain.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evil_bunnY posted:

i'm not criticising the ukrainians for fighting back. of course they're fighting back. i'm saying that we shouldn't send lethal aid - at least not unless we seriously believe that the ukrainians can actually win - because that's extending the complete horror that is modern war

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

So is Britain.
Scandinavia is not a small region.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Politics aside, what are the ballistic effects of putting food-grade animal fat on bullets?

And does it gently caress up the gun at all?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This is the perfect time for Sweden to invade Russia, while they are distracted. We will finally finish what we started in 1709

fnox
May 19, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

Politics aside, what are the ballistic effects of putting food-grade animal fat on bullets?

And does it gently caress up the gun at all?

Animal fat burns when exposed to high heat. Even if the grease doesn't burn and shrink immediately after firing, the additional wind resistance from the grease negatively affects ballistics. You're going to end up with gunked up internals that will jam after a while.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm not criticising the ukrainians for fighting back. of course they're fighting back. i'm saying that we shouldn't send lethal aid - at least not unless we seriously believe that the ukrainians can actually win - because that's extending the complete horror that is modern war
There's no "winning" when a country 3 times your size decides what's yours is now theirs. You go through the "horror of modern war" until they stop or you're dead, and it's a lot easier to stop them with ATGM.

Like, do you not understand the difference between a conflict like WW1 where at any point the disconnected, unaffected power-that-be could have gone "alright that's enough of a butchery" to WW2 where if you don't fight, they'll just take everything, and kill everyone they don't like?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Please heed this post

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I don’t know what it is with vänster. One step forward and two steps back. They keep shooting themselves in the foot and making really stupid rookie political mistakes.

https://twitter.com/jsjostedt/status/1498264851780669445

Ulf loving Kristersson got to dunk on them today.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Beeswax posted:

Please heed this post
I will never heed the words of backseat mods.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Dirk Pitt posted:

I don’t know what it is with vänster. One step forward and two steps back. They keep shooting themselves in the foot and making really stupid rookie political mistakes.

They're considering maybe forming an opinion on the topic soon.

https://twitter.com/dadgostarnooshi/status/1498389410441838592?s=20&t=l5z6RvN0H-Hffcv1Kl5ifg

I've never seen Nooshi be so...... unspecific before. She's usually pretty straight forward.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
To be honest Jonas Sjöstedt lost the plot a long time ago, he used to be a lot better but I think his time in Stockholm has rotted his brain a bit.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evil_bunnY posted:

There's no "winning" when a country 3 times your size decides what's yours is now theirs. You go through the "horror of modern war" until they stop or you're dead, and it's a lot easier to stop them with ATGM.

Like, do you not understand the difference between a conflict like WW1 where at any point the disconnected, unaffected power-that-be could have gone "alright that's enough of a butchery" to WW2 where if you don't fight, they'll just take everything, and kill everyone they don't like?

if ukrainian sovereignty is lost under any realistic outcome, the sane thing to do is to take the path there that leads to least death and destruction. a lot of these weapons *are* going to end up in the hands of extremely unsavoury characters, because that is the nature of dumping a bunch of expensive weapons in a war zone, and the more serious the fighting the worse the atrocities are going to get.

i also don't understand your point with the ww1 vs ww2 scenario. if there is no victory and defeat does not mean extermination or enslavement, then relatively quick defeat is better than a drawn-out bloodbath.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Kamrat posted:

To be honest Jonas Sjöstedt lost the plot a long time ago, he used to be a lot better but I think his time in Stockholm has rotted his brain a bit.

Blaming everything on Stockholm all the time is just mean. When its the lantisar that bring most of the stupid here when they step off the train at centralen at age 21.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Blaming everything on Stockholm all the time is just mean. When its the lantisar that bring most of the stupid here when they step off the train at centralen at age 21.

Without them there would be no Stockholm

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
All I'm hearing is cheaper apartments for the natives.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

It's still V. They always do this. I know people like to meme on socdems here but V must have shoe in mouth as a part of their party culture. Now I'm sure they can boil it down to not wanting to support a beligirent power in a war etc.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

It's still V. They always do this. I know people like to meme on socdems here but V must have shoe in mouth as a part of their party culture. Now I'm sure they can boil it down to not wanting to support a beligirent power in a war etc.

V have never missed the opportunity to be on the wrong side of history.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

if ukrainian sovereignty is lost under any realistic outcome, the sane thing to do is to take the path there that leads to least death and destruction. a lot of these weapons *are* going to end up in the hands of extremely unsavoury characters, because that is the nature of dumping a bunch of expensive weapons in a war zone, and the more serious the fighting the worse the atrocities are going to get.

i also don't understand your point with the ww1 vs ww2 scenario. if there is no victory and defeat does not mean extermination or enslavement, then relatively quick defeat is better than a drawn-out bloodbath.

Intel suggests that the Russians have compiled "kill lists"
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/21/1082096026/russia-kill-list-ukraine?t=1646081782689

But sure think of the suffering.
It's a war, atrocities are bound to happen, one way to not have atrocities, is that the Russians go home.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

The swedish reflex of "Step 1: tillsätta en utredning" when faced with a problem never fails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Feliday Melody posted:

https://twitter.com/dadgostarnooshi/status/1498389410441838592?s=20&t=l5z6RvN0H-Hffcv1Kl5ifg

I've never seen Nooshi be so...... unspecific before. She's usually pretty straight forward.

The statement by the Communist Party and Revolutionary Communist Youth from a couple of days ago:

quote:

Statement: No to war - We condemn Russia's attack on Ukraine

In the morning, we have been reached by reports of Russian missile attacks on targets in Ukraine. This is a very worrying development, for the people of Ukraine but also of Russia. In all wars, the working class is the hardest hit.

The truth is the first victim of the war. Friends of the peace should therefore keep a cool head when misinformation can come from both sides.

Ukraine's low-intensity war against the breakaway republics of eastern Ukraine, the right-wing extremist forces that gained air under the wings of the Western-backed coup in Ukraine in 2014 and NATO's encirclement of Russia are important underlying causes of the conflict around Ukraine. But that does not justify Russia's military attack on Ukraine.

The hypocrisy of the Western powers in the face of Russia's actions is indisputable. Russia has learned from US and NATO methods of violence in recent decades. The US attack on Iraq, the NATO bombings of Yugoslavia and Libya, and the Western powers' illegitimate recognition of and outbreak of Kosovo in violation of international law have opened the door for other states to act in a similar way.

Wars and conflicts are an inevitable part of the capitalist and imperialist system. The conflict over Ukraine is part of the larger showdown in Europe, where US imperialism through NATO is trying to secure economic and geopolitical interests.

No to war - Russia's military action against Ukraine must end
Yes to a peaceful and diplomatic solution - Sweden should not provide military support to Ukraine
No to NATO - Sweden must be non-aligned

quote:

Uttalande: Nej till krig – Vi fördömer Rysslands angrepp på Ukraina

Under morgonen har vi nåtts av rapporter om ryska missilattacker mot mål i Ukraina. Det är en mycket oroande utveckling, för folket i Ukraina men också i Ryssland. I alla krig är det arbetarklassen som drabbas hårdast.

Sanningen är krigets första offer. Fredsvänner bör därför hålla huvudet kallt när det kan komma desinformation från båda sidor.

Ukrainas lågintensiva krig mot utbrytarrepublikerna i östra Ukraina, de högerextrema krafter som fick luft under vingarna i den väststödda kuppen i Ukraina 2014 och Natos inringning av Ryssland är viktiga bakomliggande orsaker till konflikten runt Ukraina. Men det rättfärdigar inte att Ryssland militärt attackerar Ukraina.

Västmakternas hyckleri inför Rysslands agerande är odiskutabelt. Ryssland har lärt av USA:s och Natos våldsmetoder de senaste decennierna. USA:s angrepp på Irak, Natos bombningar av Jugoslavien och Libyen, och västmakternas illegitima erkännande av och utbrytande av Kosovo i strid med folkrätten har öppnat för andra stater att agera på liknande sätt.

Krig och konflikter är en ofrånkomlig del av det kapitalistiska och imperialistiska systemet. Konflikten runt Ukraina är en del av den större kraftmätningen i Europa, där USA-imperialismen genom Nato försöker säkra ekonomiska och geopolitiska intressen.

Nej till krig – Rysslands militära aktioner mot Ukraina måste upphöra
Ja till en fredlig och diplomatisk lösning – Sverige ska inte ge militärt stöd till Ukraina
Nej till Nato – Sverige ska vara alliansfritt