Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Etuni posted:

What's a good city to check out for a night while traveling from Amsterdam to Berlin by train? Hanover seems like the obvious option based on location, but should I make it a point to see Düsseldorf or Cologne instead if I only have one night? Would like to limit the number of transfers if possible.

Hannover is very boring and ugly fwiw. Totally destroyed during the war and rebuilt in a practical 50s fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Etuni posted:

What's a good city to check out for a night while traveling from Amsterdam to Berlin by train? Hanover seems like the obvious option based on location, but should I make it a point to see Düsseldorf or Cologne instead if I only have one night? Would like to limit the number of transfers if possible.

Definitely don't do Hannover.

For Düsseldorf vs. Cologne I guess it depends on what you want to see/do while you're there. For shopping, beer, and some of the best Japanese food in Europe, go with Düsseldorf. It's a smaller city than Cologne and offers less in the way of sightseeing, but it's still nice enough. Probably the more chill of the two options?

Cologne's quite a bit bigger with more stuff to see/do but generally offers most everything that Düsseldorf does, except the local beer is a different variety.

If it were me and I only had one night, I'd go to Düsseldorf. Spend the midday shopping (or window shopping) at Königsallee, then get some great ramen in the financial district, then go to the Altstadt/Rhine shore for relaxing with some beers.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 24, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Will jump in on the Hannover dislike. I spent a summer there about 15 years ago, and I remember basically nothing about it except the Rathaus. There's actual Google Streetview from Hannover (!) which dates from Aug 2008, and I just went around the city by streetview and it barely jogs my memory even slightly, everything is so generic and the procedurally generated "rapid 1960s-1970s German reconstruction" style. I guess it's possible they've tried to rebuild some of it more creatively, like Frankfurt has a cute old town again, as of like 2019.

But, with any large-ish city, there probably is at least a day's worth of interesting stuff to do there if you dig deep enough.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I went to Hannover and mostly remember a park with a huge lake, which had a huge christmas market around it. But that's not happening now. The area around the station was a very generic modern shopping area.

Very often in Germany, the smaller cities are nicer because they weren't bombed to rubble, or they were restored better. As an alternative to Hannover I would recommend Hildesheim, just off to the south. Münster is quite nice in this general area but it is even further off the route than Hildesheim, and barely out of the Netherlands.

But indeed there are two ways to travel from Amsterdam to Berlin. There is a direct train but it's only an intercity, not ICE. There is only one ICE from Amsterdam which goes to Frankfurt, so the alternative route is to use that, and transfer in Cologne or Frankfurt to take an ICE to Berlin. So something along that route would work as well (but the train tickets will be more expensive).

Both Cologne and Düsseldorf are nice. I was in Düsseldorf for the first time only last year but was pleasantly surprised, though it helped that the weather was super nice. There is exceptional Japanese food (for Germany), some beaches along the Rhine and a pretty nice center also along the Rhine. Cologne of course has the cathedral and a bunch of museums and is generally bigger. Both places have a cool beer culture which, although you definitely should not say this to anyone from this region, are pretty similar for an outsider. The beer is definitely different though. I prefer the Düsseldorf variety but Kölsch is more famous.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I would definitely pick Cologne over Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf is mostly a convenient city, and there's some Japanese influx which does mean you can find some great food, but I'm guessing you're not traveling to Europe to try Japanese food.

Cologne is a beautiful old city with a lot more character.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
They're close enough together than you can do both. A few years back I took a trip up in the 'Dorf with a friend and spent a day in Cologne on the way out and enjoyed both the alt and the kolsch beers and the cities.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wish I could get proper altbier (if that's how you spell the old black lager style beer) here in the states. I guess the purity laws prevent it though

Every time I've tried to find something close it's a pale imitation

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Don't see what purity laws would have to do with it. You can find Kölsch just fine in the US, it's probably just more that Altbier isn't as popular or well-known.

kiimo posted:

Every time I've tried to find something close it's a pale imitation

:grin:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
You can get rauchbier in the US, which I'm fine with. #whitepeopleproblems

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drone posted:

Don't see what purity laws would have to do with it.

:grin:

Because they don't allow preservatives? So it doesn't ship out of country? I mean, someone working at the Kloster Weltenburg Abbey told me that. I have zero reason to disbelieve them but also allow they could have been full of poo poo.

Also altbier I think just means the fermenting process which Kölsch doesn't do? If there is another word for that delicious beer in Germany that is black as night but isn't a stout or porter I apologize. And if someone knows where to get it in the States I'd appreciate it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Are you talking about Schwarzbier black beer or malta? It's a black lager and while it isn't common, you should be able to find them.in any decent beer store. New Belgium and Unita both have one.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
So I just got back from a week in Iceland and holy gently caress, did we get unlucky with the weather. Delayed by a storm in the UK and then had plans cancelled because of storms in Iceland, which were apparently relatively normal in strength but unusual to have so many bad ones packed into the same week.

Feels like I only scratched the surface because of the constant storms meaning that getting out of the city was a challenge. And even though I was aware it's an expensive place, I had really underestimated quite how expensive it is. Just adding that to reinforce the point in case anyone else is using this thread for research.

If I make it back I certainly think I'll go later in the year and look into self-catering options. Pretty disappointed that I spent so much time stuck in the city when there's so much nature to be experienced. But I did get to touch a glacier and that's pretty darn cool!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

And even though I was aware it's an expensive place, I had really underestimated quite how expensive it is. Just adding that to reinforce the point in case anyone else is using this thread for research.

I've heard that too but curious if you could share any personal anecdotes of what you experienced.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

I've heard that too but curious if you could share any personal anecdotes of what you experienced.

Just about expenses? Well, cars are expensive to rent and you pretty much need to get a vehicle with high clearance and ideally a 4x4 - if it's winter conditions or if you plan on going on the unpaved F roads (especially in the interior), which you will have to go on if you want to actually see Iceland. We paid something like €100/day for the cheapest crossover we could get, and god help you on your budget if you don't drive manual.

Hotels: budget minimum of €100/day for the barest bones of hotel rooms with a shared bathroom
Restaurants: budget €25pp for a basic dinner, except for hot dogs which you can get everywhere for like €5.

etc, prices are all very reminiscent of Switzerland or Norway, so honestly nothing particularly surprising but it's not Italy or Portugal. A 10 day trip for 2 people staying in hotels would probably run a minimum of €2.5k, plus flights. On the plus side, no entrance fees to anything except for the hot baths which are mostly pretty cheap except the famous one in Reykjavik and the fancy one in Myvatn. With 2 people that's not so bad, but if you're solo it's still going to be like... €2.25k since the car and hotels will cost the same with one as with two people.

I mean you could also camp, take public transport and hitchhike or whatever, if you really wanted to. We camped half the nights when we went a few years ago because it was super hard to even get a hotel room in high season in some regions unless you booked days in advance, and I didn't want to tie myself into an itinerary. It was also nice to save like €500 and I like camping but of course very weather-dependent.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 1, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry about your lovely weather, but that's Iceland for you :) We went in October and it was perfect, only 2 days were impacted by some heavy rains. If you were stuck in Reykjavik I'd definitely suggest you go back.

As for the prices, they were certainly expensive for my eastern european rear end, but it's not that much more than western europe I think. Here's our complete expense list for 10 days / persons inclding an airplane rental. Without it, it's under a grand.

The €80-100 guesthouses are pretty barebones but always perfectly clean and comfortable. The very cheap ones are a bit rougher, but the one at the end had a hot tub :) A Yaris is perfectly fine if you're not going offroad; we did the ring road so it wasn't necessary. The major savings here are from bringing some food in the extra luggage and shopping in Bonus instead of eating in restaurants. Any reasonably nice restaurants will gently caress you up pretty quickly. But you can get hot dogs and kebabs at reasonable prices and supermakets aren't that much worse than europe.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Sand Monster posted:

I spent £34 / $45US on four 300ml beers, which wasn't unusual.
Cheap meals were ~£15 / $20, for example a (decent sized!) lamb wrap or a plate of noodles + protein. £9 / $12 for a caramel latte and 2 scoops of ice cream.
Perlan, which is a museum/man-made ice cave (bit gimmicky but sort of fun)/viewing platform/planetarium combo (spent a morning there) was £54 / $72 entry for two people. We ended up getting a Citycard for some reduced museum entry and bus travel on subsequent days.

We chose nice hotels deliberately because this was a birthday trip and spent something like £120-140 / $180 per night.

I think we also ended up having to spend more overall by necessity because the weather meant that being outdoors was anywhere from quite unpleasant to actively dangerous, so the usual cheap day of wandering around, or the option to travel further from the main strip (as it were) for food wasn't really possible.

Saladman posted:

On the plus side, no entrance fees to anything except for the hot baths
No entrance fees for the nice nature stuff, but all the museums have a charge!

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 2, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

No entrance fees for the nice nature stuff, but all the museums have a charge!

I think the only museum we went to was the Herring Era Museum in Siglufjörður (Akureyri region) which was surprisingly great. We got 1 day of rain out of 10 days on the ring road + 2 in Reykjavik though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

I think the only museum we went to was the Herring Era Museum in Siglufjörður (Akureyri region) which was surprisingly great. We got 1 day of rain out of 10 days on the ring road + 2 in Reykjavik though.
That one was closed when we were there. But the aviation museum at the Akureyri is surprisingly great for a small island. That was 10EUR each.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife and I are thinking of traveling in May to London with a 2-3 month old infant. Tentatively planning on staying in London around Mayfair/Hyde Park for about a week. She's spent some time in London but I've never been.

Obviously our expectations are low-ish, but does anyone have any suggestions/tips for things that might/might not be appropriate?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Etuni posted:

Don't go to Hannover, do go to Cologne. Nice riverfront, awesome cathedral, plenty of good beer if you're into that.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Wife and I are thinking of traveling in May to London with a 2-3 month old infant. Tentatively planning on staying in London around Mayfair/Hyde Park for about a week. She's spent some time in London but I've never been.

Obviously our expectations are low-ish, but does anyone have any suggestions/tips for things that might/might not be appropriate?

My wife and I lived in London when she was on maternity leave, and she took day trips to see the various sights when our daughter was a similar age. As long as you are somewhere with baby changing (most tourist places will have it) I’d say just do what you’d do normally do without a baby - my wife went to Westminster abbey, museums, parks, etc. with a baby and it was fine. At that age they don’t really register what’s going on but are portable, so can just go along with whatever you’re doing. A pushchair is fine, London is very walkable. Some tube stations aren’t accessible though so you might have to plan around that; if you’re planning on a lot of tube travel a chest carrier for baby might be easier.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Residency Evil posted:

Regarding the accessible stations thing (though as previously noted, London is very walkable), Transport for London has some useful info on its website. I'd be inclined to agree that wearing the baby will be less annoying, if that's a thing you can/want to do!

London is a well-developed, modern city. You'll be able to sort your baby out in most places. Did you have any specific worries or queries?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lady Gaza posted:

My wife and I lived in London when she was on maternity leave, and she took day trips to see the various sights when our daughter was a similar age. As long as you are somewhere with baby changing (most tourist places will have it) I’d say just do what you’d do normally do without a baby - my wife went to Westminster abbey, museums, parks, etc. with a baby and it was fine. At that age they don’t really register what’s going on but are portable, so can just go along with whatever you’re doing. A pushchair is fine, London is very walkable. Some tube stations aren’t accessible though so you might have to plan around that; if you’re planning on a lot of tube travel a chest carrier for baby might be easier.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Regarding the accessible stations thing (though as previously noted, London is very walkable), Transport for London has some useful info on its website. I'd be inclined to agree that wearing the baby will be less annoying, if that's a thing you can/want to do!

London is a well-developed, modern city. You'll be able to sort your baby out in most places. Did you have any specific worries or queries?

Thanks guys. We’re planning on mainly walking/taking in the museums as we’re able to. I’m more curious whether there are any particular museums to avoid for whatever reason. And we can definitely wear the baby.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Nah, museums are for everyone. Maybe don't go to some special experiential exhibition if you're worried, but they are public places where everyone is allowed! Don't worry about it.

Random aside, the Wellcome Collection is one of my favourite museums and worth a visit. It's right by Euston station, and a 10-15min amble to the British Museum too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bollock Monkey posted:

Nah, museums are for everyone. Maybe don't go to some special experiential exhibition if you're worried, but they are public places where everyone is allowed! Don't worry about it.

Random aside, the Wellcome Collection is one of my favourite museums and worth a visit. It's right by Euston station, and a 10-15min amble to the British Museum too.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity: would it be worth it to take a day trip out of London anywhere if we're there for a week? Cambridge? Oxford?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks!

Out of curiosity: would it be worth it to take a day trip out of London anywhere if we're there for a week? Cambridge? Oxford?
There's enough to see and do in London that you won't run out in a week. However a day trip to one of the Oxbridges would be fine, it's only an hour on the train. Out of the two, I think I'd do Cambridge. Just don't do the "two days in London, then Bath, Oxford, Liverpool and Edinburgh in a week" thing!

Close to the time of travel, I'd check the websites of the various big museums. Entry is free but they're always going special ticketed exhibitions that tend to well reviews.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's a couple of big clusters of museums in London. There's the one near Euston that's the British Museum/Wellcome Collection as mentioned, and there's the Science Museum/Natural History Museum/Victoria and Albert (arts-focused) cluster near South Kensington station. I'm biased because I studied at Imperial College for uni which is right next to the latter cluster so I visited them a lot, but I generally preferred the Nat Hist museum (it helps that I did a master's there for a year and got to see the back end a lot) and the V&A. The British Museum is very close to Holborn station actually, which is on the same line as South Kensington station (the Piccadilly (dark blue) line), so you can probably visit both sets of museums in a day (it will be a very packed and rushed day though, so I don't suggest it). All the museums are free to visit but occasionally have special paid exhibits.

fake edit: looks like South Ken station Piccadilly line access is closed until summer, so disregard that particular piece of advice. The museums are still worth visiting though.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks!

It's easy enough to do if you do fancy it. Cambridge and Oxford are obvious ones, you can also get to the seaside (e.g. Brighton, Whitstable) in ~an hour. Bath is about 1h20 on the train but might be worth it if you're interested in visiting the Roman baths and seeing somewhere with quite different architecture etc. It really depends what sort of stuff you want to see and do! There are relatively easy ways to get out to see some gorgeous countryside as well, but I say 'relatively easy' with a baby in mind.

Ibblebibble posted:

fake edit: looks like South Ken station Piccadilly line access is closed until summer, so disregard that particular piece of advice. The museums are still worth visiting though.
Mayfair to Knightsbridge/South Ken is a nice walk though!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Greenwich has another cluster of good museums (Cutty Sark, National Maritime Musuem, Greenwich Observatory, The Fan Musuem...), the park is nice if the weather is playing ball, and it's an excuse to get a ferry along the river.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks!

As a town, I think Cambridge has the nicer city centre in terms of shops etc., though I suppose Oxford is quite nice around Broad Street and High Street, as well. The colleges are nice, and if you want to treat yourself (and like choirs), look which ones are open to the public for Evensong. New College, Oxford is beautiful, has an outstanding choir, and the chapel is really very pretty, for example, so this depends on what you are interested in. Both the Ashmolean in Oxford and Fitzwilliam in Cambridge are good museums, too.

That said, there is countless things to do in London, so you don't strictly have to leave it at all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The British Library is really nice if you're seeing Wellcome, it's right there and you can have a poke round the main exhibition in just an hour or two if you want.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's enough to see and do in London that you won't run out in a week. However a day trip to one of the Oxbridges would be fine, it's only an hour on the train. Out of the two, I think I'd do Cambridge. Just don't do the "two days in London, then Bath, Oxford, Liverpool and Edinburgh in a week" thing!

Nah, we stopped traveling like that. We're way more in to taking a deep dive in to a particular city than trying to check everything off some list. One of my favorite vacations we took recently was just spending a week in Paris wandering the streets. I think we'll plan on something similar in London. We may try Cambridge or Oxford if people think it's worth it.

Ibblebibble posted:

There's a couple of big clusters of museums in London. There's the one near Euston that's the British Museum/Wellcome Collection as mentioned, and there's the Science Museum/Natural History Museum/Victoria and Albert (arts-focused) cluster near South Kensington station. I'm biased because I studied at Imperial College for uni which is right next to the latter cluster so I visited them a lot, but I generally preferred the Nat Hist museum (it helps that I did a master's there for a year and got to see the back end a lot) and the V&A. The British Museum is very close to Holborn station actually, which is on the same line as South Kensington station (the Piccadilly (dark blue) line), so you can probably visit both sets of museums in a day (it will be a very packed and rushed day though, so I don't suggest it). All the museums are free to visit but occasionally have special paid exhibits.

Thanks. I'm thinking maybe we'll do a museum/day, just not to overload ourselves trying to hit multiple things in the same day.

Bollock Monkey posted:

It's easy enough to do if you do fancy it. Cambridge and Oxford are obvious ones, you can also get to the seaside (e.g. Brighton, Whitstable) in ~an hour. Bath is about 1h20 on the train but might be worth it if you're interested in visiting the Roman baths and seeing somewhere with quite different architecture etc. It really depends what sort of stuff you want to see and do! There are relatively easy ways to get out to see some gorgeous countryside as well, but I say 'relatively easy' with a baby in mind.

Mayfair to Knightsbridge/South Ken is a nice walk though!

Thanks, and thanks for the walk suggestion!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Greenwich has another cluster of good museums (Cutty Sark, National Maritime Musuem, Greenwich Observatory, The Fan Musuem...), the park is nice if the weather is playing ball, and it's an excuse to get a ferry along the river.

Sounds like taking the ferry to Greenwich might be worth it as a thing to do?

Hollow Talk posted:

As a town, I think Cambridge has the nicer city centre in terms of shops etc., though I suppose Oxford is quite nice around Broad Street and High Street, as well. The colleges are nice, and if you want to treat yourself (and like choirs), look which ones are open to the public for Evensong. New College, Oxford is beautiful, has an outstanding choir, and the chapel is really very pretty, for example, so this depends on what you are interested in. Both the Ashmolean in Oxford and Fitzwilliam in Cambridge are good museums, too.

That said, there is countless things to do in London, so you don't strictly have to leave it at all.

Thanks, sounds it'll be tough to go wrong either way.

HopperUK posted:

The British Library is really nice if you're seeing Wellcome, it's right there and you can have a poke round the main exhibition in just an hour or two if you want.

Thanks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s not really Europe but I don’t know the right thread: has anyone been to the Canary Islands? I saw it in passing in a documentary and it looked amazing but as an American it’s not someplace anyone I know has ever been.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

smackfu posted:

It’s not really Europe but I don’t know the right thread: has anyone been to the Canary Islands? I saw it in passing in a documentary and it looked amazing but as an American it’s not someplace anyone I know has ever been.

I think literally every European has been there. Unfortunately I was two years old when I was there so no tips

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

It's super popular, but particularly with Germans and Brits. I've looked into visiting several times but never ended up buying tickets. There's a huge amount of variety between the islands, from the commercialized and mega-ugly parts of German-speaking Spain like Las Palmas, to much less mass touristy islands like La Palma, from desert islands like Fuerteventura to the lunar island of Lanzarote to the fairly lush forests of La Palma. That said depending on what season you go, even mass-tourist-central like Tenerife and Lanzarote can presumably be nice, as it's not too hard to escape giant tourist hotels and tour bus groups even in places like Mallorca.

Take that advice with a grain of salt though since I've never actually been there. I know a bunch of people who have and go regularly though.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 14, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ras Het posted:

I think literally every European has been there. Unfortunately I was two years old when I was there so no tips

This checks out, I was 5.
All I remember about it was that the sweets were really nasty.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I went a couple of years ago, we stayed mostly on Tenerife at both San Cristobal up north and Los Cristianos down south. The trip up Teide volcano is great, and the highlight was doing a day trip to nearby La Gomera which has another awesome volcano and a fantastic national park too.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

This is gonna be a weird one, but I'm going to Serbia in summer (extended family basically, my stepdad's covering the flight and all) but I've never been outside the US before. I know a tiny bit of Serbian (aka yes / no / do you speak english / where's the bathroom / gently caress you, only the important things) but I'm not really sure what to expect. I'll be staying in a fairly rural area but driving back and forth to Belgrade. Is there much to do there or anything I should check out while I'm in that area? I'll be there a month, late May thru June.

Otherwise I'm mostly just going fishing and camping with relatives. I guess I'm just not even sure where to start since I've never been to another country, let alone one that isn't really known for tourism.

Also this is obviously very dependent on State of World Crisis but I'm still curious even if trip is rescheduled.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

smackfu posted:

I did a study trip to Tenerife with my university back in like - 1998. It was nice! If you can speak German it comes in handy depending where you go though obvs Spanish is more useful. The weather was a bit wild - we went in April - but overall very pleasant. If you get the chance to go up the volcanoes, you should go - we went to the observatory and woke up every evening with Mt Teide right outside all lit up by the sunset. So er, if you're doing an astronomy degree and they offer to take you there, you should go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

smackfu posted:

I went a couple of times on a package holiday when I was younger, we stayed on Gran Canaria both times. It was really amazing once we were out of the resort area, the calderas are enormous and the landscape/wildlife are really unique. I'd love to visit some of the other islands one day but the whole thing is really set up for package tours so the kind of holiday where you aren't crammed around a pool with a bunch of sunburned English/Irish/German drunks is a lot more expensive than other places that are easier to get to.

MagpieConcept posted:

This is gonna be a weird one, but I'm going to Serbia in summer (extended family basically, my stepdad's covering the flight and all) but I've never been outside the US before. I know a tiny bit of Serbian (aka yes / no / do you speak english / where's the bathroom / gently caress you, only the important things) but I'm not really sure what to expect. I'll be staying in a fairly rural area but driving back and forth to Belgrade. Is there much to do there or anything I should check out while I'm in that area? I'll be there a month, late May thru June.

Otherwise I'm mostly just going fishing and camping with relatives. I guess I'm just not even sure where to start since I've never been to another country, let alone one that isn't really known for tourism.

Also this is obviously very dependent on State of World Crisis but I'm still curious even if trip is rescheduled.

Do you like fishing and camping? Then just enjoy that, IMHO. If you've got a tour guide who wants to show you a bunch of their favourite stuff then you're probably going to have a pretty good time. Pick a couple of things you want to do while you're there, see the Belgrade fortress and some cathedrals, go to a nightclub, whatever you're into, tell your host if they ask and otherwise just chill and let things happen. You're gonna live in a village for a month, enjoy it! If you have too many expectations, it can cause disappointment or frustration when things aren't what you want them to be. Plus you really don't know what things will be like there and you might really enjoy something you had no idea even existed before you got there. You'll always make a good impression by just showing up and saying "what's good? I'm easy, I'll do whatever you think is fun, thanks again for hosting me and showing me around!" and then maybe bring up the nightclub trip after a week of being a good guest.

According to my wife, who went with a friend to visit her family in the late 90s, she visited a lot of houses just to say hi to the neighbours and shoot the poo poo and at every one she got SBC: schnapps, beer, coffee. Always all three, always in that order, nobody leaves until they're done with coffee and there's nothing to do after that anyway so on to the next house. So good luck!