Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Omon Ra posted:

Russia has no business whatsoever dictating whether Ukraine can join NATO or the EU. They can have Crimea if its residents agree to that in an actual referendum.

Whether or not we think they have any business doing it doesn't change the fact that that's what they're going to do when they in all likelyhood win this war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well there's this thing called Union State of Russia and Belarus.

I tell you this continued encroachment by Russia into Western Europe is giving me a real bad case of economic anxiety legitimate security concerns

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Omon Ra posted:

Russia has no business whatsoever dictating whether Ukraine can join NATO or the EU. They can have Crimea if its residents agree to that in an actual referendum.

France and Germany will keep vetoing Ukraine's accession until it gives up. It would probably be best to make it official that Ukraine isn't going to join NATO.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

spacetoaster posted:

What are the chances this happens?

Highly unlikely, gaining EU member status is a long and arduous process.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this, its just china and china will take them for all they have. russia isnt gonna get let back into the big western boys club again.

Russia has the saving grace that the current boondoggle rests squarely on Putin's shoulders. There are plenty of post-Putin-Russia scenarios that could lead to Russian re-integration, and Putin is not getting any younger.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

the holy poopacy posted:

Sure, but my point is how long can those sanctions stay up while Europe is dependent on Russian oil? Europe will eventually need to relax sanctions to buy time to transition away from Russian resources.

One of the things to remember is that Putin already shut down a lot of the Russian fossil fuel exports into Europe (basically shuttering everything that wasn't a long-term contract, and reducing daily pipeline exports by almost half), that's largely what sparked the winter energy crisis in the first place. Their contribution to overall European energy sources plunged from 30% to 15%. The EU weathered that and can certainly adapt in order to maintain those sanctions. It would be disruptive - particularly to Germany - but they are already turning over a new leaf and considering re-embracing green nuclear power, in addition to simply building more LNG ports and reactivating their coal plants.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-02/europe-faces-harsh-reality-of-finding-russian-gas-irreplaceable

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Finance nerds. How does one divest holdings of Russian gov and corporate debt? Looking for buyers. Asking for a friend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ciprian Maricon posted:

this is not a good outcome, Russia can and should be able to re-join the world at large and normalize relations if possible. Nations should not be punished in perpetuity, we let Germany back into the world stage after the holocaust, I think there is a possible future were Russia can be a good member of the international community.

sure, it just probably is not going to be under the current regime

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498335441170411525

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

Omon Ra posted:

It is completely implausible that such a referendum could be conducted fairly any time soon, and especially after Russia's first action after invading it the first time was to conduct a fake referendum where 200% of the population turned out and voted 184% in favour of joining Russia, and then promptly drove out all of the resident Ukrainians.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheRat posted:

I'm not sure where you're from, but as someone living in western europe I don't think you realise how little western europeans thinks of eastern europe. The anti-eastern racism is real bad.

Sure, but not as bad as against middle-Eastern people. These things usually have a hierarchy.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

the holy poopacy posted:

The entire developing world? They'd definitely become more dependent on China, further accelerating China's emergence as the world's sole superpower, but they wouldn't be a Chinese client state any more than the U.S. already is.

Junior ally is possible, something like the UK to the US (which colloquially gets described as a client state relationship from time to time). On a PPP basis the economies are about the same distance apart (26: 4.3 trillion for CN/Ru versus 23:3.1 trn for US/UK).

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Zhanism posted:

If this is true then that really is nuts. One of the things people say that Russia did after the fiasco with 1st Gerogia war was to upgrade things like comms gear. I remember reading articles of "analysts" salivating all the gear that the Russian troops were parading around. Ohhhh they all got encrypted comms.

I'm half hoping but half skeptical.

Putin fired the reformer in 2012 and promoted a lick spittle. They've been hollowing out the military for a decade now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

this is not a good outcome, Russia can and should be able to re-join the world at large and normalize relations if possible. Nations should not be punished in perpetuity, we let Germany back into the world stage after the holocaust, I think there is a possible future were Russia can be a good member of the international community.

oh we will and i absolutly agree. i love Russia the country, i want to visit some day. once putin is removed or dead(natural or other wise, dudes getting old and possibly sick). its insanely clear that putins gonna keep doing this poo poo no matter what happens in ukraine. he is the cancer, cut him out and put some other rear end in a top hat in there and poo poo will be normalized.

TheRat posted:

I'm not sure where you're from, but as someone living in western europe I don't think you realise how little western europeans thinks of eastern europe. The anti-eastern racism is real bad.

i am sure it is and if zelensky had poo poo himself and ran, we wouldnt be having this conversation but they havent so far and he managed to make Germany 180 hard on its last couple decades.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

I'd like to go work in France or something.

Assuming Ukraine survives this as an independent state: In the next 5 years? None. Joining the EU is a very long and tedious process of political and economic reforms. You have to reach certain political, fiscal and economic criteria and Ukraine is very, very far away from these.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the problem is that those pesky reformers are always so critical and need to have things changed

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1498332884121399307

These things look like they were made in the 60s.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine agrees to denazify the country by electing a Jewish president

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

spacetoaster posted:

Complete fantasy and certainly not while there's a war. I consider VdL's statements pretty unreasonable as well. Yes, there is lots of goodwill for Ukraine getting on the path to membership, but it's not going to be fast and it presumes Ukraine wins the war. Which I'd consider impossible.

That said, rules have a habit of becoming very malleable during crises even within EU states, so who knows what may happen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just in: Finland is sending 70 000 food packets to Ukraine. I guess we're on Putin's side after all :(

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

small butter posted:

Is it accurate to say that this war is no longer just Russia vs Ukraine but Russia, Belarus, and Chechnya vs Ukraine? If so, what would stop EU countries (or even America) from engaging directly with non-Russian forces? Belarus and Chechnya are not nuclear states as far as I know.

I believe the big, loud, possibly insane nuclear ally of Belarus and Chechnya - who is currently the largest ‘bad guy’ army engaged in the conflict - would give EU states pause re: direct conflict.

:shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Beefeater1980 posted:

Junior ally is possible, something like the UK to the US (which colloquially gets described as a client state relationship from time to time). On a PPP basis the economies are about the same distance apart (26: 4.3 trillion for CN/Ru versus 23:3.1 trn for US/UK).

That's right now, not after the Russian economy starts free-falling.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

So what they are going to fast track EU membership for Ukraine and then we head to a major war in europe?

Welcome a huge, poor, and dysfunctional country into the EU? At high speed? And one currently at war with Russia? Approximately a negative one billion percent chance.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bosnia and Herzegovina for example applied for EU membership in 2016 and is still far from ready to join. Plus they also have internal issues with violent ethnic tensions.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Putin fired the reformer in 2012 and promoted a lick spittle. They've been hollowing out the military for a decade now.

Yeah, proper equipment is stuff that could have been funneled into an oligarch's pockets. They're not going to let that revenue stream disappear into procurement.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

Truss' finest moment will always be right before this war, when Lavrov asked her if the UK recognized Russia's sovereignty over Rostov and Voronezh. She said "We will never recognize it!" Which was odd, because those two regions have been part of Russia for centuries.
I see you haven't spent much time with dear old Liz. Please enjoy (CW: utterly deranged robo-human attempts to make political speeches):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRhlRM6rYck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2V3PrfN98U

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just in: Finland is sending 70 000 food packets to Ukraine. I guess we're on Putin's side after all :(

Send them delicious salmiakki

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1498332884121399307

These things look like they were made in the 60s.

They were.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheRat posted:

Send them delicious salmiakki

I doubt that would be included, as it increases blood pressure. Brunberg chocolate, probably.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

spacetoaster posted:

I'm reasonably sure accession to the EU is a multi-year process, so everything depends on the war's outcome.

Mainly this is a deliberate slap in the face to Putin.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

russians are adopting siege tactics it seems, and there's issues sprouting up in Kyiv and Kharkiv already. Actually v helpful contribution just too late.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Well sure, that’s probably a fine idea and likely what the West would expect to happen. But Russia has to weather the dark ages between now and then. The longer Putin and/or his successor(s) (lol) keep waving dick westwards, the worse the Russian economy will get and the more vulnerable to strongarm actors like China.

Not a good outcome, but it seems to be here for a while now.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The shelling in Kharkiv is horrible. A close friend of mine was born there and her maternal grandmother lives just outside the city.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1498270724506673156

I wonder legitimately how many foreigners are going to go and do this.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

I believe the big, loud, possibly insane nuclear ally of Belarus and Chechnya - who is currently the largest ‘bad guy’ army engaged in the conflict - would give EU states pause re: direct conflict.

:shrug:

Treat them how you treat North Korea? If all you have is the threat of MAD then that's a pretty weak negotiating position.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

TheRat posted:

I dunno, I'm in Ireland and the pro-Ukraine sentiment is very strong. We have a loud but small minority of xenophobes who hate nearly all immigrants, but most people here have friends, partners, colleagues, neighbours from all over Central and Eastern Europe.
Yeah, I know, a formerly completely colonized state having big empathy for another state being attacked by an imperial power is hardly surprising, but its not just that on its own.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Soldiers gotta eat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the significance of the single letters (Z? V? I forget which) painted on some of the RU vehicles I saw posted over the past few days? If it's super obvious like "this is just how RU id each other at a glance" then cool.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

I see you haven't spent much time with dear old Liz. Please enjoy (CW: utterly deranged robo-human attempts to make political speeches):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRhlRM6rYck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2V3PrfN98U

I've been aware of her for a couple years but yeah, those are gems too. I still like the Russia one the best, because imagine faceplanting in front of Lavrov of all people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

russians are adopting siege tactics it seems, and there's issues sprouting up in Kyiv and Kharkiv already. Actually v helpful contribution just too late.

I think it's for the soldiers. IDK, the article is in the kind of lovely timeline format that makes actually finding out what it says too loving hard.

e: Whoever decided "on-line news articles should be more like a bunch of Tweets!" should be sent in one of the packets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This is from Reuters, so it's legit.

Is this just the result of sanctions making buying impossible? It appears not even China put in a bid.

https://twitter.com/BLSchmitt/status/1498335712835510273?t=swAh-Rw0pR6p-KGnBqxC8Q&s=19