Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Why was Davros making giant evil clams anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
How else is he going to make a giant, evil chowder?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That one nerd at Plymouth Live is going on one.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Do they not have an editor, or are they just churning out more and more Doctor Who clickbait hoping they'll hit viral gold for the second time?

The whole point of the Valeyard was that he was an anomaly, and was trying to steal his way into existence by replacing the Doctor. The Last Adventure is a great end for the character.

EDIT: They even admit they pitched it from Den of Geek....

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm not going to read the article, but it had better say that Metacrisis 10 turns into the Valeyard.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

I'm not going to read the article, but it had better say that Metacrisis 10 turns into the Valeyard.

It's even dumber. He says that since there's a TARDIS easter egg in the 'split into good and evil' episode of Red Dwarf, the Doctor got split into two off screen. It makes no sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There are two possible solutions to this "puzzle"

1. The Dream Lord from Amy's choice is the first awakening of The Valeyard.
2. It doesn't matter and shouldn't be something that bothers anyone that we don't ever explicitly see The Valeyard make their "first" appearance, we can fill in the gaps ourselves just fine.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

There are two possible solutions to this "puzzle"

1. The Dream Lord from Amy's choice is the first awakening of The Valeyard.
2. It doesn't matter and shouldn't be something that bothers anyone that we don't ever explicitly see The Valeyard make their "first" appearance, we can fill in the gaps ourselves just fine.

The Valeyard's existence is meant to be an unresolved paradox. He gives an elaborate explanation in 'Trial of the Valeyard', but the Sixth Doctor is just like 'lol...no'.

That's why The Last Adventure is so good - Six defeats the Valeyard by overcoming everything he represents and deciding he's no longer afraid of him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well when I'M the showrunner I'm going to ignore every single thing that has been actually established in the show in order to write the explanation I want! :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

Well when I'M the showrunner I'm going to ignore every single thing that has been actually established in the show in order to write the explanation I want! :colbert:

OK, Chibnall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look, Robert Holmes had a vague idea that got nixed but the production team used as an excuse for an in-joke, and that's a good enough reason to upend every single thing written and aired about the Doctor in the intervening decades since then in order to craft my own pointless retcon onto it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

LOOMS :byodood:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There was a 4th Time Lord Founder, who all the other Founders were scared of because he was so much cooler and smarter than them. His name was Terusalem, but most simply called him THE WEAVER OF THE LOOMS, and one day he decided,"I shall weave a perfect Time Lord, one in my own image" and thus the Doctor was created, but the other Founders were frightened and jealous, and cast him out because seeing him reminded them too much of how inadequate they all were compared to Terusalem, who is always just slightly out of frame.

Man the fans are going to LOVE this!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Finally, Benton won't be selling used cars in his post-UNIT career any more! :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benton takes a long, slow drag on his cigarette.
"The truth is, sir, I sold them at used car prices... but the cars themselves were brand new."
uproar from the UNIT Top Brass

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Moffat did fun things with canon in ways that enchanced the story, giving both older and newer viewers interesting things to notice. He didn't write himself into a corner over a throwaway joke from the 1970s. Does it really enhance the story to know that the Doctor might have once been Philip Hinchcliffe in a hat? Whereas having an image of Abslom Daak, or confirming Charley as TV canon are nice little things that add to the story, rather than taking away from it, or overpowering it.

Looms are a fine idea, but the Virgin New Adventures has a ton of baggage. I think there's a reason people only talk about Benny and generally leave the rest of it behind.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 24, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cover for the new "Doctor Who Unbound":

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1496892768844722180?s=20&t=sHz4aCw35ciiGoaPkMqh9Q

Interesting that they don't include "Unbound" on the cover; I noticed that "The Lost Stories" isn't on the cover to next month's "Mind of the Hodiac" either.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One thing I wish the show had explored a little more in the revival is other renegade Time Lords. Gallifrey itself is always bound to disappoint and making it vanish in a war was one of Davies's best decisions, but individual Time Lords can make interesting stories. The Master and the Rani are fine, but characters like the Meddling Monk, the War Chief, the Corsair, etc all provide opportunities that they don't. None of them have to change anything about the canon spectacularly because they've, in theory, just been bouncing around the Universe like the Doctor. Somebody who already knows about things like the Time War and regeneration might have different opinions from the Doctor that are more nuanced than the maniacal, directionless cruelty of the Master or the staid traditionalism of the Time Lords. Obviously it gets totally out of hand if the Doctor is running into another Time Lord every episode, but it's a concept that at least has as much room in it as, say, the Cybermen, who seem to show up at least once a season.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Id have to disagree. Much like explaining the Doctors background, I feel that each renegade Time Lord would take away from what made/makes the Doctor so special. If Gallifreyans are regularly gallivanting around the universe, its not so much renegade action/rebellion against unspeakable authority, as it is .... rumspringa.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

One thing I wish the show had explored a little more in the revival is other renegade Time Lords. Gallifrey itself is always bound to disappoint and making it vanish in a war was one of Davies's best decisions, but individual Time Lords can make interesting stories. The Master and the Rani are fine, but characters like the Meddling Monk, the War Chief, the Corsair, etc all provide opportunities that they don't. None of them have to change anything about the canon spectacularly because they've, in theory, just been bouncing around the Universe like the Doctor. Somebody who already knows about things like the Time War and regeneration might have different opinions from the Doctor that are more nuanced than the maniacal, directionless cruelty of the Master or the staid traditionalism of the Time Lords. Obviously it gets totally out of hand if the Doctor is running into another Time Lord every episode, but it's a concept that at least has as much room in it as, say, the Cybermen, who seem to show up at least once a season.

Given that the whole premise of the revival was "The Daleks and the Time Lords wiped each other out in a massive Time War", with it only being revealed that the Doctor was the one to finally put a stop to it and that Gallifrey was put in stasis/timelocked/whatever later in the show's run, I think it would have kind of defeated the purpose of making the Doctor the only surviving Time Lord to have him bumping into other renegades all willy-nilly (to say nothing of how much lesser that would've made the eventual discovery and return of the Master). It's one of the few things from the revival that I do like how both RTD and Moffat handled it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are we okay with only 1 more possible renegade, someone so freaky the Doctor and Master team up together, maybe even make a companion of eachother?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

Are we okay with only 1 more possible renegade, someone so freaky the Doctor and Master team up together, maybe even make a companion of eachother?

Omega.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

You're gonna Monkey Paw it, you fools! We'll get a renegade Time Lord, but it will be a story written by Chibnall!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Moreau posted:

You're gonna Monkey Paw it, you fools! We'll get a renegade Time Lord, but it will be a story written by Chibnall!

(The Doctor winces as a loud, annoying Cockney accent calls out in greeting)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(The Doctor winces as a loud, annoying Cockney accent calls out in greeting)

This is not the “Drax the Destroyer” we were looking for.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Moreau posted:

You're gonna Monkey Paw it, you fools! We'll get a renegade Time Lord, but it will be played by Chibnall!

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Had that with World Enough & Time when the "someone so freaky" turned out to also be the Master.
Should have had an entire series of running about foiling Simm Master's plans, which Missy can't remember.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1498311988291772431

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichardsonBF/status/1498313158468980737?s=20&t=Yetfw7PqnUkcbaYcNpXmyQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The idea that Six was a personal favourite incarnation of the Doctor is very odd.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

The idea that Six was a personal favourite incarnation of the Doctor is very odd.

Maybe the Curator is like a mood ring whose face changes depending on what he's feeling

"I feel like strangling people. Bring me... The Coat."
*cloister bell*

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Strong Convections posted:

Had that with World Enough & Time when the "someone so freaky" turned out to also be the Master.
Should have had an entire series of running about foiling Simm Master's plans, which Missy can't remember.

Oh right, man that was a fun little reveal and trip. Missy my favourite Master probably.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The Sixth Doctor is great, just not so much TV Sixth Doctor. :colbert:

With this, that Unbound story, the RTD found script, the 10th Doctor crossover AND a new companion, seems Big Finish have a lot for Colin Baker this year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

how DARE you

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Of course Six is the Doctor’s favorite incarnation; just ask Six!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1498644472317374466?s=20&t=mFlsPiDrFILWliPWCdZPeg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cao2qC_tsdd/

Production might be starting very soon!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cao2qC_tsdd/

Production might be starting very soon!

Does that mean a Fourteenth casting announcement is coming soon too?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given that the whole premise of the revival was "The Daleks and the Time Lords wiped each other out in a massive Time War", with it only being revealed that the Doctor was the one to finally put a stop to it and that Gallifrey was put in stasis/timelocked/whatever later in the show's run, I think it would have kind of defeated the purpose of making the Doctor the only surviving Time Lord to have him bumping into other renegades all willy-nilly (to say nothing of how much lesser that would've made the eventual discovery and return of the Master). It's one of the few things from the revival that I do like how both RTD and Moffat handled it.

Yeah, I think I was envisioning more during the Moffat years that the RTD years. The willy-nilly is what would make it bad.

Moreau posted:

Id have to disagree. Much like explaining the Doctors background, I feel that each renegade Time Lord would take away from what made/makes the Doctor so special. If Gallifreyans are regularly gallivanting around the universe, its not so much renegade action/rebellion against unspeakable authority, as it is .... rumspringa.

Eh, I don't know. I don't want there to be hundreds, but they clearly let at least six of them, four or five more couldn't hurt. It's a big Universe and there's a lot of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

There's certainly other renegade Time Lords we know about, like the Meddling Monk and the Rani, who could easily return. Either of them could be interesting as less directly antagonistic foils to the Doctor. I suppose 'The Doctor's Wife' gives a handwave explanation for what might have happened to any given Time Lord, though.