Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

International Judo Federation "suspends" Putin

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/vladimir-putin-international-judo-federation-1.6366330

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I found a local Sifu who teaches Wu (sometimes called Wu-Hao) style taijiquan. He teaches it as a martial art rather than just a Chinese health dance so I am very excited. In preparation I got running shoes. ;)

That's awesome; one of my really good friends studies martial taijiquan and is an absolute badass, so I can only imagine how amazing his instructor is. They both also run a Chinese medicine place and I had him do some accupuncture on my shoulder a couple of months ago.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

EdsTeioh posted:

That's awesome; one of my really good friends studies martial taijiquan and is an absolute badass, so I can only imagine how amazing his instructor is. They both also run a Chinese medicine place and I had him do some accupuncture on my shoulder a couple of months ago.

When I got out of undergrad I was going to get my degree in acupuncture and herbalism but I read a book about making money in the field and… let’s just say as a shy white guy I had NO chance.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thirteen Orphans posted:

When I got out of undergrad I was going to get my degree in acupuncture and herbalism but I read a book about making money in the field and… let’s just say as a shy white guy I had NO chance.

HAHAH well, I mean, my friend and his partner/sensei are both white guys but adapted pretty well by dropping the poo poo out of their prices and basically working in volume. I'm sure living in tourist alley Florida doesn't hurt that, but yeah, I can see where if an average person went for TCM and it wasn't Pai Mei sticking needles in them, they'd bolt.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

EdsTeioh posted:

HAHAH well, I mean, my friend and his partner/sensei are both white guys but adapted pretty well by dropping the poo poo out of their prices and basically working in volume. I'm sure living in tourist alley Florida doesn't hurt that, but yeah, I can see where if an average person went for TCM and it wasn't Pai Mei sticking needles in them, they'd bolt.

I had a Korean acupuncturist tell me to my face that white people can’t practice Oriental Medicine because we can’t understand the philosophy and mechanics of it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I had a Korean acupuncturist tell me to my face that white people can’t practice Oriental Medicine because we can’t understand the philosophy and mechanics of it.

Well then.

My buddy did go off talking about "Taoist Alchemy" for a good chunk of the session which at first sounded v. cool and magic but then it ended up being about transforming body energy from one this to another. The more I thought about it though, it's basically like Chaos Magic/k or whatever, which is cool and metal, so I was ok with it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Shut up, Steven.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

What a piece of poo poo. Also I'd very much recommend checking out the Behind the Bastards episode where they read his book; it's a howler.

Edit: That one movie where he's fighting all those rastas is still pretty cool though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So broke a bunch of boards the other night. Pretty sure I am not supposed to have that bump on top of my hand

It's fine now, just bruised. Iced it as soon as I got home and bump/swelling was gone by morning.

Broke a ton of wood, kept missing one of my breaks so my instructor had me repeat all of them as they go in a pattern. Got a little tiring after the third time.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yowch; glad you're ok. Monday night I was sparring with a girl that was just throwing bomb after bomb with *very* little technique. I went for a round kick and her block ended up being more of a straight punch directly straight on into my toes. Stayed Home and Roast Beef got it worst, but they were all 5 messed up. Didn't walk terribly well Tuesday and Wednesday. Block correctly, y'all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Been continuing my 2 classes every Wed night routine at my gym.
Attendance has been steady throughout, but still not to where I'd like it.
For the gym overall -- my classes have been 1, 2, 3 people.
I'd say about half are regulars, and one of the regular has had 2 solo classes.

For them, it's a really sweet deal. I'm able to constantly give feedback and oversee correcting their mistakes over several reps instead of just one or two.
It's an intro class with no background expected, so they're progressing very quickly.

I'm still in a mindset where I want to show them the most distinct aspects of sanshou, meaning striking and throwing combinations in one sequence, but I'm running out of stuff that can be done relatively safely with so little breakfall training under their belt. And by running out, I mean I've only done two sequences so far:

front kick catch to... leg whip? This move:

Low percentage, but just really sanshou-looking and very low amplitude throw for safety.
e: it has occurred to me that I don't have any vocabulary for the throws. Usually we have just one technique for each incoming strike, so the identifying comes down to naming what you're catching.

rear roundhouse kick catch into leg reap.
As an example of the benefit of tiny classes, one class had a pair of students of mirror stances, so I taught the mirror stance version for them and of course let them drill that way.
Slightly higher amplitude throw where I'm asking the thrower to cooperate in letting the throwee down in the earlier stages of learning the move.

I think I'm gonna do a basic o-goshi type hip throw next, where mistakes shouldn't be too painful on the throwee (as long as they don't post their arms, which seems to be my major warning these days).

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 25, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

For them, it's a really sweet deal. I'm able to constantly give feedback and oversee correcting their mistakes over several reps instead of just one or two.
It's an intro class with no background expected, so they're progressing very quickly.

I'm still in a mindset where I want to show them the most distinct aspects of sanshou, meaning striking and throwing combinations in one sequence, but I'm running out of stuff that can be done relatively safely with so little breakfall training under their belt. And by running out, I mean I've only done two sequences so far:

front kick catch to... leg whip? This move:

Low percentage, but just really sanshou-looking and very low amplitude throw for safety.
e: it has occurred to me that I don't have any vocabulary for the throws. Usually we have just one technique for each incoming strike, so the identifying comes down to naming what you're catching.

rear roundhouse kick catch into leg reap.
As an example of the benefit of tiny classes, one class had a pair of students of mirror stances, so I taught the mirror stance version for them and of course let them drill that way.
Slightly higher amplitude throw where I'm asking the thrower to cooperate in letting the throwee down in the earlier stages of learning the move.

I think I'm gonna do a basic o-goshi type hip throw next, where mistakes shouldn't be too painful on the throwee (as long as they don't post their arms, which seems to be my major warning these days).

mechanically, this is really just an ankle pick but done from a catch

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

Yowch; glad you're ok. Monday night I was sparring with a girl that was just throwing bomb after bomb with *very* little technique. I went for a round kick and her block ended up being more of a straight punch directly straight on into my toes. Stayed Home and Roast Beef got it worst, but they were all 5 messed up. Didn't walk terribly well Tuesday and Wednesday. Block correctly, y'all.
Blocks are one of those things that just needs to be automatic and done on instinct. The biggest risks are often sparring the junior members because they simply don't have the knowledge/experience to do something properly and the strikes can be without control, especially with adults, which is what it sound like here. You get a 40 year old man throwing what amounts to a haymaker and by chance it connects, you're not having a good day.

I'll often, right in the middle of sparring with a lower belt, talk to them and even stop during the round to tell them so it's fresh in mind because it literally just happened. Often, 30 seconds later, they might not even remember the circumstance.

Personally, it took me longer than it should to break the habit of grabbing the kick/punch during my blocks in sparring. That was my super bad habit. Probably fine in many arts, but absolutely not TKD short of some of the patterns/forms and pre-arranged stuff (we indeed do a few throws, but never in sparring).

kimbo305 posted:

We were talking last night about something similar. We're not quite as low as that, but definitely off our typical adult class # from pre-covid. Average adult class is probably 12-ish? We should be 20ish. We need some new adult white belts.

TONS of kids though. I think parents are just looking to get them out of the house after the last 2 years :lol:

Do any of your schools have a strategy for increasing your membership numbers? I'd be curious to hear it. I think we do facebook ads, but I think that's the extent of it other than word-of-mouth.

RE: my personal attendance, I think I mentioned earlier that for those in the black program, we have to commit to do an "average" of 3-classes per week over the program which works out to 99 classes (33 weeks - Oct/Late May).

I counted mine last week, I'm already at ~125 with over 2 months to go. So I think I'll be fine. :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

mechanically, this is really just an ankle pick but done from a catch

Yeah, I've been noting the offensive variant is an ankle pick, but it felt inaccurate when talking about starting it from the air and intentionally pulling the ankle down to off-balance.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Blocks are one of those things that just needs to be automatic and done on instinct. The biggest risks are often sparring the junior members because they simply don't have the knowledge/experience to do something properly and the strikes can be without control, especially with adults, which is what it sound like here. You get a 40 year old man throwing what amounts to a haymaker and by chance it connects, you're not having a good day.

I'll often, right in the middle of sparring with a lower belt, talk to them and even stop during the round to tell them so it's fresh in mind because it literally just happened. Often, 30 seconds later, they might not even remember the circumstance.

Personally, it took me longer than it should to break the habit of grabbing the kick/punch during my blocks in sparring. That was my super bad habit. Probably fine in many arts, but absolutely not TKD short of some of the patterns/forms and pre-arranged stuff (we indeed do a few throws, but never in sparring).

Dude I STILL do the catching thing sometimes. Bit me in the rear end a couple of times where I didn't have a full fist and caught a toe in the finger or something like that. I think it's just a natural reaction and I think it's probably tactically *better* to do this IF you're planning to go to the ground or have any competency there at all.

quote:

Do any of your schools have a strategy for increasing your membership numbers? I'd be curious to hear it. I think we do facebook ads, but I think that's the extent of it other than word-of-mouth.

As I've said in the past, we're basically a McDojo, so we have TONS of things like this.
-The week after we do testing, we do a "buddy night" where you can bring a friend to a mixed but beginner friendly class. That's mostly for the kids since their classes are bigger and more rigid about being split up into ranks, but we do an adult version also.
-Every 6 months we do a "parents train free" month. I'm pretty sure that's how I got started and we have a pretty decent retention for these. I know at least 6 parents in my regular classes that started like this since I started. One of them was already a black belt so they let him test directly to BB, one of the others is the same rank I am but is all in and assists in the lower rank kid classes.
-We have a lot of festival type things here (seafood, art, crawfish, etc) so we usually send a demo team to those. We did one at our local comic con as well and picked up some new folks from that also.
-We offer a free class or 2 to anyone, but they give us cards for stuff like free month or a free week+uniform type stuff also. We get a few of those cards when we sign up, but then more around Xmas and then again before summer to push those enrollments. We also get store credit if any of those people actually DO enroll (I think it's like $50 or something, and I essentially paid for almost all of my sparring gear that way from my friends' kids signing up).

In other news, one of the kids in my son's classes was moving away a couple of weeks ago and his mom put all of their training gear up for sale. Ended up scoring a basically brand new Wavemaster XXL, 6 6.5'x3.5' Zebra mats, and a big stack of puzzle mats for like $300. Now just need to clean my garage out to actually get it set up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

Dude I STILL do the catching thing sometimes. Bit me in the rear end a couple of times where I didn't have a full fist and caught a toe in the finger or something like that. I think it's just a natural reaction and I think it's probably tactically *better* to do this IF you're planning to go to the ground or have any competency there at all.
You don't spar with gloves? We'll do many partner drills without gear, but 99% of the time all sparring is with gloves and feet. I mostly had the issue with the shape of the glove for the fingers is kinda of a hook and just makes it easy to grab a leg. Most low blocks (where this is most likely imho) the top of the hand should be facing outwards anyhow. Making sure I did that pretty much stopped my problem. I just had to consciously think about it for a bit.
e: Our white/yellow aren't expected to spar with gear and we prefer not.

quote:

Pretty much anyone can try a class or two, but,
As I've said in the past, we're basically a McDojo, so we have TONS of things like this.
-Every 6 months we do a "parents train free" month. I'm pretty sure that's how I got started and we have a pretty decent retention for these. I know at least 6 parents in my regular classes that started like this since I started.
I like this idea. A couple of my friends started because their kids were going, but that was by their own gumption. I think it's also good as even for a few classes, it gives the parents a better idea of what's going on.

I think trying to make it a "thing" is a good idea. Stealing it and running it past the masters.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 26, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

You don't spar with gloves? We'll do many partner drills without gear, but 99% of the time all sparring is with gloves and feet. I mostly had the issue with the shape of the glove for the fingers is kinda of a hook and just makes it easy to grab a leg. Most low blocks (where this is most likely imho) the top of the hand should be facing outwards anyhow. Making sure I did that pretty much stopped my problem. I just had to consciously think about it for a bit.
e: Our white/yellow aren't expected to spar with gear and we prefer not.

I like this idea. A couple of my friends started because their kids were going, but that was by their own gumption. I think it's also good as even for a few classes, it gives the parents a better idea of what's going on.

I think trying to make it a "thing" is a good idea. Stealing it and running it past the masters.

We do use hand guards in sparring, but they're like these: I unconsciously tend to open my hands up a little when I'm sparring due to the memory of the foam pulling back; should really work on that. Or just do bag drill with these on instead of my actual bag gloves to break them in a little more.

Our white/yellows don't spar with people period; that's green and up.

https://www.centurymartialarts.com/...rring-gloves%2f

Hope that parent strategy works out! I think what ends up happening with parents a lot of times is that they (we) feel like we're too old to start or see classes full of kids and feel silly or think that martial arts are, by and large, a "closed" thing that tries to gatekeep new folks from getting in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

Did my first fitness test last night. It was probably one of the hardest workouts I've ever done.

Consisted of:
5x Wind Sprints up/down the length of the gym (approx 45-50' each way?)
1x Bear Crawl up/down length of gym
10x Jumping squats (the kind where you jump up onto a platform after the squat)
10x jumping switch lunges
10x burpees
10x tricep dips with chairs
10x push ups
1x agility ladder - Lateral in/out
seal/zombie crawl to next ladder (no feet, dragging your body) approx 10-15'
1x agility ladder - Forward in/out
10x ab rollouts

2 min break - repeat for total of 5 times.

It doesn't sound insane but repeating over and over again was not fun. By the 3rd go around the burpees were exhausting my triceps were on fire for the push ups right after the dips. The teenagers who are in awesome shape had zero problems but us who are 3x their age with abused bodies certainly worked our asses off. I was exhausted, but I completed it so I'll take it as a personal win.

Now the baseline is down and I need to try to improve it, at least a bit which shouldn't be too hard. I needed to take the last week off due to developing plantar fasciitis in my right foot and I could feel my cardio, which I've always wanted to improve, was not quite there as much as I would like. Have to do it 2 more times, Feb and May.
Whelp, up doing this again tonight. Originally they wanted us to do it 3x but with the waves in the winter they decided against it so it will just be once more.

I'm in better shape now than I was last year when I did this, so I'm curious to how it will effect my time. I've also not touched booze since Nye so that is in my favor.

I am NOT looking forward to this in 2.5 hours.
I'll take thoughts and prayers

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I dropped 40 sec for my overall average per round. I am happy with that as are my instructors. 5 min flat avg. There are faster people but I'm definitely the oldest (49) by a large margin so I will absolutely take that as a personal victory.

It is exhausting. If anything I felt a bit worse after this compared to the first go but my time explains why, if my overall speed increased about 15%. No way in hell I could have done this in November.

It's bad enough that it gives me pause to consider my 2nd Dan in hopefully a couple years.

But it's done. Other than still practicing and training my rear end off, next official to do is the last thing: testing in less than 2 months now.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Hell yeah man, keep killing it. I had a rough class on Monday (fun, and I did well; just exhausting) and THEN had a one on one lesson with my head instructor on kicking forms Tuesday at noon (took a half day at work). Basically just working on correcting mistakes that creep into movements and that type of thing, so I essentially threw front snap kicks and step side kicks over and over and over for about 45 minutes and buddy I am dying today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

Hell yeah man, keep killing it. I had a rough class on Monday (fun, and I did well; just exhausting) and THEN had a one on one lesson with my head instructor on kicking forms Tuesday at noon (took a half day at work). Basically just working on correcting mistakes that creep into movements and that type of thing, so I essentially threw front snap kicks and step side kicks over and over and over for about 45 minutes and buddy I am dying today.
I feel ya and totally get it. Everyone talks about sparring and how exhausting it is....and it is, but the basics can do it too. Tons of repetition over and over. Slow motion In particular can be absolutely insane and downright sadistic. Especially the high section kicks like what I would call Crescent kicks and axe kicks. Legs just burn. Don't even get me started on the slow motion reverse kicks. Just using muscle power alone to get the height and not using momentum is killer and balance gets super tough. I'm totally in agreement with really focusing on getting the technique right as a more junior belt as it's easier to fix it now then when you're a senior or even black after doing it for many years.

I obviously don't know what your class is like but sometimes we do patterns-forms as part of an actual hardcore cardio workout. Doing them with full power while really watching your stances is absolutely grueling. Too many people in our class just use them as motions and don't actually perform them strong like they should which is totally a pet peeve of our masters and instructors. I actually think strong blocks are harder to do than strong strikes. I have 9 forms that I have to know well and if I do all of them with full power I'm totally soaked and exhausted at the end of it and if we do drills or sparring afterwards takes all I have.

Found out a couple of people that were doing the fit test last night actually puked around halfway through lol. I didn't even notice.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

I feel ya and totally get it. Everyone talks about sparring and how exhausting it is....and it is, but the basics can do it too. Tons of repetition over and over. Slow motion In particular can be absolutely insane and downright sadistic. Especially the high section kicks like what I would call Crescent kicks and axe kicks. Legs just burn. Don't even get me started on the slow motion reverse kicks. Just using muscle power alone to get the height and not using momentum is killer and balance gets super tough. I'm totally in agreement with really focusing on getting the technique right as a more junior belt as it's easier to fix it now then when you're a senior or even black after doing it for many years.

I obviously don't know what your class is like but sometimes we do patterns-forms as part of an actual hardcore cardio workout. Doing them with full power while really watching your stances is absolutely grueling. Too many people in our class just use them as motions and don't actually perform them strong like they should which is totally a pet peeve of our masters and instructors. I actually think strong blocks are harder to do than strong strikes. I have 9 forms that I have to know well and if I do all of them with full power I'm totally soaked and exhausted at the end of it and if we do drills or sparring afterwards takes all I have.

Found out a couple of people that were doing the fit test last night actually puked around halfway through lol. I didn't even notice.

Oh man, forms can be killer. I usually do mine with as much intensity as I can and engage my entire body at every stance. 3-4 cycles through those and I'm feeling it. This rotation we've been focusing on slowing them down which, as you said, really ups the intensity. The other small thing we/I've been on is wrist snap at each one. Doing them slow at full intensity and focusing on that snap wipes me the hell out.

Dude that's nuts with the throwing up, but makes sense. What was their overall fitness level?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

After 2 months of instructing, my class finally got shared to the gym's social media. It was honestly bugging me a bit that nothing we did in class was getting featured.
It's just me demoing an incredibly lazy sprawl and then a Boomerang of two students running a drill.

They opened up the level 2 sanda class, so I have to do some more digging for technique material. Though in reality, level 2 is easier to teach cuz I can let the students spend more time doing more alive striking drills and they're at less risk of hurting themselves and training partners.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ I find social media a double edged sword. Does your club have a pretty big presence?

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh man, forms can be killer. I usually do mine with as much intensity as I can and engage my entire body at every stance. 3-4 cycles through those and I'm feeling it. This rotation we've been focusing on slowing them down which, as you said, really ups the intensity. The other small thing we/I've been on is wrist snap at each one. Doing them slow at full intensity and focusing on that snap wipes me the hell out.

Dude that's nuts with the throwing up, but makes sense. What was their overall fitness level?
e: What do you mean by wrist snap? Which moves in particular?

Their fitness is good, the one girl is ~16, lean, super flexible... BUT that doesn't mean great shape, but certainly not bad shape.

The dude is one of my peeps. Late 30s, an absolute unit of a man, about 6'1, high school phys-ed teacher and built like a brick shithouse. He is in great shape for sure.

If he's not training TKD he's at the gym. Hardly an ounce of fat on him. Some of our pre-arranged stuff where we have to do a few take downs, one is I have to grab his wrist/forearm and I cannot put my hand around it. And I'm not a small guy either. His flexibility has massively improved too. He can do very sudden and fast over head height kicks with ease now, which is a little unsettling for guy as big as he is. Muscular like he is is probably counter-productive in some ways, but his cardio is excellent.

Without creeping him too much, here is a photo where you can make out his neck/shoulders. He's a big dude and a machine.

I know I've said it before, but that fit test seems deceptively simple as nothing on its own is rough, but all combined over and over and over and over and over and over again is gruelling. Usually one or two people puke, last time in Nov was more the rarity when it didn't happen. The key is to pace yourself. And maybe don't eat within 4 hours :lol:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 7, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Got dang.

Re:wrist snaps-basically this just the wrist movement at the time of a particular part of a form. So f'rex you're doing a knife hand. We cross arm over the chest with elbows stacked on top of each other, then the top arm arcs across the chest at the same time that the bottom arm makes a fist and goes to the hip. You could, in theory, just go right into the knife hand and arc that across your chest, but what we're working on is bringing it across the chest palm up and then at the last second snapping it over to finish that step. Same thing with the off hand; as you're bringing it down toward the hip, the fist is made, but it's palm down, then at the same time that your striking hand does the knife hand strike, you snap the wrist to turn the fist over. Dunno if this makes sense or not, lolz.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

^^ I find social media a double edged sword. Does your club have a pretty big presence?

Hard to say. We were one of the more established schools in the city 6 months before the pandemic when the school closed down.
I don't think there's been that much return attendance from the old students.
So the tone of the posts is very much marketing and accessibility.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Marketing is probably the biggie with social media I assume.
We do some member communications with it (not much, I don't even have facebook) but I think it is the only way we advertise other than word of mouth, and it's pretty half-assed at that.

So, in other news... (bit of a crosspost from the AI chat thread as that's my usual forum)

I had a lipoma and had a Dr appointment to remove it yesterday. Nothing huge, just in my forearm and it bothered me (And to be clear, my Dr is awesome. Mid 30s guy, totally cool.)

I lay down on the exam table, freezes me up, pulls out the scalpel starts to go to town.

So I totally feel the incision. Best way I can describe is kind of like a super deep, long papercut.

"Hey, so, uh, I can feel that. Is that normal?"

He looks at me.... says "No, it's not, you shouldn't feel a thing... you OK?" and I said yeah if I have to deal with it.. I will.

No, you shouldn't have to. One thing i have is plenty of freezing! Injects away.

All good now. Starts going again. For about another 2 minutes and then he stops.

"There it is. Huh. Well, it's not a lipoma. It's a blood clot. Basically it kinda caused your blood to back up in your vein causing the bump. Want me to leave it?"

Well poo poo, that doesn't sound good. My wife had a DVT so I am totally anal on blood clots. I start asking him could it cause a stroke or heart attack or anything? He says no, it's not really like that.

"So what's the downside?"

"Well, It's going to bleed. Probably quite a bit. I can do it if you want to though. Or we can leave it."

Well, poo poo. My arm is spread open and veins and poo poo all exposed. I'm in this far. Go hog wild I say.

So he cuts it, gets the clot out and yep, it's bleeding pretty freely. He does what he does though, controls it, patches me up.

I ask him what could have caused it and he said typically something like trauma or impact.

So only thing I can think of, once again, martial arts. It's totally a blocking area for kicks and punches (outer forearm)... and I know I've blocked some good ones in my time. :sigh:

So now I've got 5 stitches, a wrapped up arm and told me not to train until I'm healed. I have a Blackbelt test in less than 2 months now so that's not an option, so we agreed that I can train but not spar until the end of the month.

gently caress. Oh well.

Oh yeah, as he's working on me he sees the remnants of that bump on my hand from board breaking. He asks "What the heck is that? Your hand shouldn't look like that!"

Orders an X-ray too. I radiologist didn't see it yet but the tech let me see the x-rays, I didn't see a break so that's good.I think it's just soft tissue swelling which is why it went down so fast with ice the next day.... only to get my hand kicked in a block in the exact same spot last weekend and it grew again. :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How long has the clot been there? Is leaving it in an option because it's not vasculating a lot of tissue?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I remember starting to notice it about 3ish years ago. Definitely early 2019, probably 2018 or even earlier.

Tbh, I didn't quiz him about it much more than at the moment when he realized what it was and gave him consent to remove it. I'm not sure why he thought leaving it was fine, my guess is like you said it was apparently not super critical as it's been years and my circulation is fine. I guess blood was getting through it somewhat?

His unease with bleeding seems reasonable to me which is why he asked my thoughts, but hell, I was already opened up at that point. I wasn't in a hospital (just his office) but if I'm going to bleed he and his nurse was there and I was the last patient of the day.

It's gone now, so it's all good.

Just have a wrap on it to maintain pressure for a few more days. I'll get the stitches removed next Thursday and at that point probably just a standard bandage.

Seems to be healing well (I look at it when I shower and change the pad). I'm going to train this afternoon but won't spar or do anything with my forearm (IE:punch/blocking drills) until at least the end of the month and even then I'll be avoiding the area for some time. I doubt it will take that long to fully heal though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

Got dang.

Re:wrist snaps-basically this just the wrist movement at the time of a particular part of a form. So f'rex you're doing a knife hand. We cross arm over the chest with elbows stacked on top of each other, then the top arm arcs across the chest at the same time that the bottom arm makes a fist and goes to the hip. You could, in theory, just go right into the knife hand and arc that across your chest, but what we're working on is bringing it across the chest palm up and then at the last second snapping it over to finish that step. Same thing with the off hand; as you're bringing it down toward the hip, the fist is made, but it's palm down, then at the same time that your striking hand does the knife hand strike, you snap the wrist to turn the fist over. Dunno if this makes sense or not, lolz.
Sorry, meant to reply to that. Yeah, I think I get it. The late twist is a thing with punches in many drills and patterns. The classic/obvious with us is at the beginning and end of class we'll often to middle section punches in a horse stance and that's how they're done. Basically twist the hand over in the last, oh, 10% of movement.

With your knife hand description, are you talking about a block?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Interesting video on trying to use Wing Chun.
Skip the melon punching part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAvva9e2O78

takeaways:
- the core of Wing Chun is for self-defense, and so it shouldn't be treated as a complete fighting system, and the vast majority of schools who do so are accordingly very lacking
- a lot of the useful stuff from WC is on the level of tactical adjustments or tweaks to technique that strikers should already be conversant with. None of the deflect and interrupt striking should be alien to people who've been striking for a while, even if they've never tried it or integrated it into their preferred style. The host is taller than most of his sparring partners and has insanely wide shoulders, so the intercepting stuff comes more easily for him

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Interesting video on trying to use Wing Chun.
Skip the melon punching part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAvva9e2O78

takeaways:
- the core of Wing Chun is for self-defense, and so it shouldn't be treated as a complete fighting system, and the vast majority of schools who do so are accordingly very lacking
- a lot of the useful stuff from WC is on the level of tactical adjustments or tweaks to technique that strikers should already be conversant with. None of the deflect and interrupt striking should be alien to people who've been striking for a while, even if they've never tried it or integrated it into their preferred style. The host is taller than most of his sparring partners and has insanely wide shoulders, so the intercepting stuff comes more easily for him

Yeah he's like 6 foot whatever and an athletic three hundred pounds or some poo poo, In another recent video he also bullshitted his way through some light HEMA.

But I take your point, these techniques have some value, but they're more like interesting flourishes someone who already has a base can incorporate rather than full systems (and institutions of knowledge and training) in and of themselves

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack Slack has argued in the past that (my paraphrase) if you want to see what Wing Chun would look like if you took what's good in it and adapted to a full-resistance skilled opponent situation you basically have Robbie Lawler, especially in the two Hendricks fights.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Jack Slack has argued in the past that (my paraphrase) if you want to see what Wing Chun would look like if you took what's good in it and adapted to a full-resistance skilled opponent situation you basically have Robbie Lawler, especially in the two Hendricks fights.

Do you have a link to that video/article? I love Slack but I’m struggling to see that connection.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Do you have a link to that video/article? I love Slack but I’m struggling to see that connection.

It's more something he has mentioned in passing over the years in articles, videos, and on his podcast. It's the hand trapping and the range that they fight at.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1995484-lawler-vs-hendricks-the-strangest-great-fight-of-the-year

He mentions it here. One of the pains of being a Jack Slack dude though is that he takes his videos down a lot to avoid having his channel DMCA nuked, and many of his old articles are have disappeared as websites died.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Part of Hendricks' adjustment to being a less brawling fighter was to get very efficient at getting the advantage in hand exchanges.
I think if you're a southpaw, you spend a lot of time mirror stance with orthodox fighters, and so you're constantly touching lead hands.
When you face another southpaw figther, you can adapt that to pushing off of their cross (from your lead side).

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

CommonShore posted:

It's more something he has mentioned in passing over the years in articles, videos, and on his podcast. It's the hand trapping and the range that they fight at.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1995484-lawler-vs-hendricks-the-strangest-great-fight-of-the-year

He mentions it here. One of the pains of being a Jack Slack dude though is that he takes his videos down a lot to avoid having his channel DMCA nuked, and many of his old articles are have disappeared as websites died.

Thanks!

I see where my disconnect was. I was thinking, “that is just boxing in MMA” and not “there are overlaps in the greater concepts of wing chun and boxing at that range”.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Thanks!

I see where my disconnect was. I was thinking, “that is just boxing in MMA” and not “there are overlaps in the greater concepts of wing chun and boxing at that range”.

Ah yeah it's more of a "same questions, similar answers" situation

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Hello guys, I have an eye condition called Keratoconus that I’ve had several surgical procedures for, I’ve been recommended by my eye doctor that I use some form of eye protection, I’ve googled around but can’t seem to find anything suitable for kickboxing/jiu jitsu does anyone have any idea on what I should be looking for???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't think you'll get much better than a pair of good sports googles?